early flight from Fort Lauderdale - what's the earliest?

Hey,

We're thinking about booking a RCL cruise from Fort Lauderdale.
On the debark day, there's a 12:15PM flight from FLL airport, wanted to know if that's somehow risky for us?
Is it realistic to be in FLL at 11:00AM?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Just take your own taxi....don't take the royal air2sea transfer......we got off the boat at our scheduled time of 8:30 went to the transfer bus...and sat there till 10am when they finally got the last of the people off the boat.  Then it took forever to drive and unload to the airport which is literally 5 minutes away.  We weren't in the terminal till after 11am...it was frustrating....but since our flight was at 3:30 didn't stress us.  Well other than being told to come back and get back in line to check in our bags because the airport can't handle you checking in more than 3 hours before the flight.

Edited by dodgestang

Thanks for the replies.
Now that I'm thinking about it, it is an international flight FLL-EWR and then international, so am I still good?
where will we go through boarder control? in FLL or in EWR?
Thanks.

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

Just take your own taxi....don't take the royal air2sea transfer......we got off the boat at our scheduled time of 8:30 went to the transfer bus...and sat there till 10am when they finally got the last of the people off the boat.  Then it took forever to drive and unload to the airport which is literally 5 minutes away.  We weren't in the terminal till after 11am...it was frustrating....but since our flight was at 3:30 didn't stress us.  Well other than being told to come back and get back in line to check in our bags because the airport can't handle you checking in more than 3 hours before the flight.

Better get your watch checked. According to Google, Port Everglades is three miles from the airport. To get there you have to average 60mph with no stops.I don’t know if the three miles is from the entrance of the port to the entrance of the airport. If it is, you have to add extra time, and distance to the airline terminal as well as the port terminal.

We haven’t done it since 2019 but about fifteen minutes or so, sounds about right.

14 minutes ago, rotman253 said:

where will we go through border control? in FLL or in EWR?

Neither, the US is one of the few countries in the world that doesn't really care about anyone leaving the country.

1 hour ago, rotman253 said:

Hey,

On the debark day, there's a 12:15PM flight from FLL airport, wanted to know if that's somehow risky for us?

Thanks.

We would do the 12:15 flight. Pre or post covid. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Better get your watch checked. According to Google, Port Everglades is three miles from the airport. To get there you have to average 60mph with no stops.I don’t know if the three miles is from the entrance of the port to the entrance of the airport. If it is, you have to add extra time, and distance to the airline terminal as well as the port terminal.

We haven’t done it since 2019 but about fifteen minutes or so, sounds about right.

You're right....3 miles.....that' like 60 seconds away if I was driving.  😜

• Haha 2

Our Jan 2022 cruise ended in Ft Laud. 

Our #8 luggage tags were called at 7:50 am.

After walking down to terminal, picking up our bags, went thru immigration & customs, which took less than 2 minutes, very impressed with how efficient they were, we were out of the terminal by 8 am

in taxi by 8:05 am

arrived at FLL at 8:18 am  for our 11:20 am flight

I've been at FLL sitting at my gate before 8:00 multiple times after self-disembarking with the first group.  As always, YMMV, but I'd have no issues with a 12:15 flight.  I've booked a 9:15 AM flight when the alternative to Seattle was waiting until 6:00 PM.

I just got off the Allure of the Seas this past Sunday and had a 9:25 a.m. flight out of Fort Lauderdale to Newark, NJ.  I signed up for one of the earliest times to leave the ship and carried my own luggage.  We docked around 6:15 a.m and I was off by 6:55 a.m.  Walked through the terminal to the taxi stand, got a taxi to the terminal, checked in, went through security, and was at my gate by 7:25 a.m.  I had originally booked the 12:15 p.m. flight but didn't want to sit around the airport for hours and rebooked the flight at no charge (United) on Saturday.

4 hours ago, dodgestang said:

You're right....3 miles.....that' like 60 seconds away if I was driving.  😜

What a mature, adult response. My post was based on data supplied by you and simple math. What was yours based on?

Does your parents know you are posting responses with little to no experience or anything of any value. 

I wasn't picking a fight and have never been accused of being mature....was making a laugh about it...like I thought you were....they are so close that it is a darn near a non-issue for just about any form of transport.....except for air2sea transfers

Google says 7 minutes BTW

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port+Everglades,+Port+Everglades+Midport+Garage,+1850+Eller+Dr,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33316/Fort+Lauderdale-Hollywood+International+Airport+(FLL),+100+Terminal+Dr,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33315/@26.0807437,-80.1511397,14z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d90040cc646243:0x7662ff8b2aa32c17!2m2!1d-80.116658!2d26.0850697!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9aa7ae4c8faf5:0x2ae0339d90a6cbe6!2m2!1d-80.1506022!2d26.0742344!3e0

😛

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jkaczanowski said:

For FLL, I would be comfortable with anything after 11 as we carry off our own luggage and take a taxi from the port. 

I'm booked 10:20 am during spring break next year.

I'm hoping for a 730 am walk off. Grab a taxi. Now I'm second guessing myself. 

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

What a mature, adult response. My post was based on data supplied by you and simple math. What was yours based on?

Does your parents know you are posting responses with little to no experience or anything of any value. 

Wow, pretty harsh for a post I immediately took as a joke.  Grumpy grandgeezer!

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm booked 10:20 am during spring break next year.

I'm hoping for a 730 am walk off. Grab a taxi. Now I'm second guessing myself. 

I was a 10:40 (which I felt safe booking) which recently got switched to 10:15 in June...I will be keeping my fingers crossed

Edited by Scoobydobe7

9 hours ago, rotman253 said:

Hey,

Thanks.

I came home a couple of weeks ago on a 9:36 AM flight. I didn't book it that way, it was moved up an hour after I booked.

10 hours ago, rotman253 said:

Hey,

Thanks.

The airport is "just up the street" from the cruise port. 11:00 is fine. 10:00 would be fine too. 

18 minutes ago, robntawn said:

We are doing self debark and taking a 9;30 flight. 

We did the same thing a couple years ago. We self-debarked, grabbed a taxi, went through security at the airport and were sitting at our gate at 7:40.