The Daily for Friday 06/03/2022

richwmn

Today is Chinese Dragon Boat Festival, National Doughnut Day, and World Bicycle Day

I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.--Jimi Hendrix, Jimi Hendrix - Axis; Bold as Love

Meal Suggestion for today - Arroz de bacalhau
Drink of the Day - Bloody Mark
Wine of the Day - Solar Viejo Rioja, Spain
Destination of the Day - Hiva Oa, Marquesas

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Koningsdam   Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/04

Flam, Norway

Rotterdam   07:00 - 19:00

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Noordam   07:00 - 16:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   11:00 - 19:00

Lisbon, Portugal

Nieuw Statendam   10:00 - 18:00

Quebec City, Canada

Zaandam   07:00 - 17:00

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska

Zuiderdam   13:00 - 22:00

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada

Eurodam   18:00 - 23:30

Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France Riviera

Oosterdam   07:00 - 17:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Seattle, WA eta 6/7

0603World.thumb.png.5616a6eea2cf17a6a257637ec46b6c65.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Sunny and low 20s here (mid 70s F).  Lots to do in the garden.

Dragon boats are interesting.  Not a big fan of doughnuts.  I haven't ridden a bicycle in years.

Interesting quote from Hendrix.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe. Hope you are feeling better @dfish.  I'll pass on the drink.  I hope the wine will be tasty and not too expensive.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Friday. 

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 

Wild sunrise over our golf course this AM as we await Tropical Storm Alex to start dumping large amounts of rain over Naples and Fort Myers, here in Punta Gorda, maybe 3 inches.

Should get our golf in as the rain is expected to start here about noon.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

81C179CA-EBAD-4C4C-9C12-6A62A115D08E.jpeg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 34

Thank you for the Friday Daily, Rich.  I rode a bicycle for many years, including one ride from Baltimore to Montreal.  I do not normally eat donuts except during the Ravens season.  Dragon boats are pretty.  Interesting quote by Hendrix.  I have not been to Marquesas.  Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Classic Caesar Salad, and Sauteed Pork Chop as served on MS Prinsendam June 3, 2015:

Today’s care list:

Dfish recovering from surgery
Sharon Dh and Bruno with covid
Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Buddy with continuing problems
Dismomx5 and DH in covid quarantine
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Good result for Dfish
Platinum Jubilee for her Majesty
Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Ancient Wanderer new grandson
New booking for ger_77
lazey1 (Koningsdam to 6/4), Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Welcome home kochleffel
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon.

It is 66°F and sunny here in North East England.

Thank you Rich and Roy for today's daily and various lists.

Interesting days and a typical Hendrix quote.

I will give the food and drink a miss.

Wishing everyone good health.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report.  Nice collection of days today, you had to say doughnut day!  I rarely eat them but I do love them and there is a great doughnut shop in our building, maybe, maybe…. I like the Hendricks quote.  I’m not sure what today’s dish is so I’ll wait to decide.  I would give the drink a shot though.  Have not been to today’s port so I’ll enjoy it through the photos later.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list and to those who need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. 🍻

• Like 25

Good morning! I would love to have a donut right now for dunking in my coffee. However, I rarely have one as I try and manage my weight.

Rain is in the forecast this afternoon and it doesn’t have anything to do with Tropical Storm Alex which is approaching Southern Florida.

Didn’t get my walk in yesterday as my right foot has a strain. I’ll rest it for one more day. Always something!

Sure seems to be quite a few Covid cases going on amongst our cruisers. Makes me question how many cases are really happening amongst the Fleet?

Thank Rich for the Fleet Report. The following picture was highlighted on my I Pad this morning. It was shot somewhere on the Norwegian Sea in July 2017. 

Have a wonderful day and Debbie I do hope your recovery from surgery is going well.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c669fb615fd72d96e1450d9914c9918.jpeg

• Like 34

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Dragon boats are pretty. I used to ride a bicycle a lot, but haven't in many years. Love donuts, but don't eat them very often.

Interesting quote. The meal sounds good.

Debbie, @dfish, I hope you had a restful night and are feeling less pain this morning. 

Finishing my first cup of coffee then off on a walk to Publix to pick up a few things before it gets too warm. (This will probably be the first time I miss having a car.)

I'll check back to see how everyone is doing today when I return.

Have a fantastic Friday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 27

Good Morning.

Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

Today and tomorrow will be dominated by the first tropical storm of the season. It is headed right for us but, fortunately, it is not a very strong storm. It will mostly be a rain maker here but we are anticipating significant flooding with the ampunt of rain that is predicted. It has already begun to rain here.

The quote today is so poignant. Jimi was incredibly talented, We lost him way too soon.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 29

Bloody Mark:

Ingredients
1 part Maker's Mark® Bourbon
4 parts Tomato Juice
1 small scoop Horseradish
3 dashes Tabasco® Hot Sauce
4-6 dashes Worcestershire sauce
3 turns Peppercorn
2 dashes Celery Salt
Half Lemon Juice

Instructions
Fill tall glass with ice and all ingredients. Stir or shake and pour over rimmed glass with ice.
Optional garnish: Parmesan-and-chili-powder-rimmed glass (rim the glass with leftover lemon and dip rim into parmesan and chili mixture).

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 7.29.14 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Another spectacular morning here. Yesterday was just an amazing day with breezes making the midday heat manageable. Haircut day for me.  Thank goodness. It grows so fast. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. Hope you slept well, Debbie - @dfish!

Another couple of health related one-liners…

503E07DE-E20A-4BD6-9263-B0A701B29DDF.jpeg.eb451150f0491d8a3d9b19b0fdc5bf4a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Solar Viejo Rioja

This somewhat elusive wine has very good ratings and a reasonable price - though I only found overseas distributors. I would love a taste, since I am a fan of a nice Rioja. Prices average around $19.00 + shipping. 

Product details

ABV (%)
Grape Variety
Tempranillo
Tasting Notes
A cherry red Crianza with flavours of ripe red fruits, vanilla, cinnamon and marked with oak flavour.
History
With more than 75 years of history, Solar Viejo integrates tradition and modernity in equal parts at its flagship winery, located in the village of Laguardia
Regional Information
Protected by the cold winds of the Rioja Alavesa, in the foothills of the Sierra de Cantabria, and with the exceptional setting of the medieval village of Laguardia, the Solar Viejo wineries have been making wines with singular personality for more than 75 years with Rioja Designation of Origin
Current Vintage
Vinification Details
A blend of base wines made from Tempranillo is aged in American and French oak barrels for 12 months
Producer
Solar Viejo
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, richwmn said:

the best doughnut is a Krispy Kreme right out of the oven. Melts in your mouth

I agree Rich!  On Friday’s, when I was working, our leads would bring us Krispy Kreme doughnuts. The melt in your mouth glazed kind. Yum. 

• Like 22

Unfortunately, I have never met a doughnut that I didn't like. Raised, cake, frosted, powder sugar coated, cinnamon coated, nut covered, or one with all of the above.  I am also an expert on doughnut holes, as I don't believe in wasting our natural resources, so I force myself to help out the cause by making sure they do not go to waste.  

• Like 21
  • Haha 13

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I was just reminded by Google that 3 years ago today I boarded Amsterdam for 14 days in Alaska. It was a wonderful trip. Before boarding I spent a little time with @Cruising-alongand her DH. Also on board was @65 Gator.

Was that the first  time you did a fleet report while aboard a BHB?

Roy

• Like 14

52 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I agree Rich!  On Friday’s, when I was working, our leads would bring us Krispy Kreme doughnuts. The melt in your mouth glazed kind. Yum. 

Many years ago while I was still in High School my father often worked from midnight to 8am. I got quite a few calls around 2am on Saturday nights to drive a little over 3 miles to the nearest KK, to get 4 dozen glazed for his office, and another 2 dozen for home. The doughnuts were always hot at that time.

• Like 31

Good Morning from a warm and cloudy day at the beach

We are under a Tropical Storm Watch with heavy rains expected starting this afternoon. We will see. 

We dont usually have any flodding problems here except on the golf course. So probably no golf for me this weekend.

Debbie @dfish Sounds like you are doing better. Big wishes for a speedy recovery  for you.

All these Covid Cases! Yikes!   Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Julia @JAM37  I also  walk to Publix . I have a wagon that I use to bring things back. Problem is at this time of year, you cant get any frozen foods. Although because we are now in Hurricane season, we keep very little in the freezer. Some of our summer storms can knock out power.

Off to water aerobics before the rain starts.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 27