Booking Only 1 Cabin for Family of 4 - Is this a mistake?

I am fairly new to cruising.  It's been over 6 years since our last cruise so our children were younger and getting more than 1 cabin was not even an option for us back then.  So when I booked a cruise on the Symphony for this summer I didn't even think about booking 2 cabins now that my boys are 12 and 19.  I booked a GTY balcony.  Mistake number 1 was I thought it would be ocean view.  It will likely be a neighborhood balcony which we are ok with now.  But after looking at the prices, I could get 2 GTY balconies for only $50 more.  1) I am not sure I could even change my reservation without a fee of some sort. I did book in February so have the CWC so I think I can with no problem for the same sailing 2) If I could make the changes without a huge fee, I worry that the rooms would be too far apart from each other.  I really don't want to pay the extra $$$$ to pick our own rooms.

So basically I am wondering, will I regret having my family (my husband and 12 & 19 year old sons) all in the same cabin together?  I'm thinking since I am the only one that takes longer than 10 minutes to get ready that we should be ok with just 1 bathroom for the most part.  It just seems like we may be in the minority of having 3 adults and 1 pre-teen in just 1 cabin together so I am really questioning getting the second cabin.  Will we all feel crammed and miserable?  Anyone else here cruised with 3-4 in a room with no small children?

Depends on how you are with cramped quarters. You've done this before so you have a rough idea of the size of the rooms.

At least the balcony is handy for a place to wait while people are getting dressed.

Many people say their older kids enjoy having their own room so they have a bit more freedom to come and go as well as a second bathroom. You'll just have to book one adult in each room and then sort out keys when you get there.

Edited by TBone2K
  • Like 1

I've done it with three adults--way too tight.  If it were two adults and two small children, that's somewhat doable.  Two adults and an adult child and a teen?  It will be extremely cramped.  

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

One cabin would not work for me. I don't care how much you all love each other.

I think there is someone in our roll call who is packing 4 in a balcony for world cruise.

274 nights

May god have mercy on them

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

Can you do an inside and a balcony for a reasonable price?  The kids can use the inside as a bedroom and you can meet up in your cabin.  My kids were always out and about and only used the cabin for sleeping and showering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Check the price on 2 connecting rooms!

I recently booked myself and 3 teen grandkids in 2 adjoining (? Connecting door) rooms for a cruise next month.  Myself and granddaughter in 1 room, 2 grandsons in the other.   2 bathrooms, priceless .

For fun, I then priced all 4 in one room - we saved over $450 overall  by booking 2 rooms for two!!

• Like 2

I would Not want to do 2 basically grown children and 2 adults in an standard balcony cabin. 

since you booked prior to March 31st you should be fine with changing cabins, etc. with no penalty

How much is it for you to change to a Balcony and get an interior across the hall?   

If it were a 1 night cruise I might go with one night all in one room.  🤔  ...... No, I would pay $50 more for 2 rooms no matter the length.  Maybe if you look at it as $7 per night  for an extra room. 

59 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I think there is someone in our roll call who is packing 4 in a balcony for world cruise.

274 nights

May god have mercy on them

The "Walton Family"

• Haha 1