Recent Formal Night Trends?

First Caribbean cruise this Friday (Oasis from Cape Liberty).  Currently packing (woot!) and trying to decide what to pack for formal night.  In the past have usually taken tuxedo (most don't, I know) but I am wondering what Caribbean formal nights are like recently?  Can anyone who has been on a recent Caribbean itinerary give me some general advice (percent of people in tuxedos, percent of people in suits, percent of people not participating, etc?)

We enjoy formal nights but think everyone should dress how they want to for their cruise. I don't mind being part of a small group that choose to dress up but I don't really want to be THE ONLY ONE dressed up!  Any advice or recent observations would be super helpful!  Thanks!

• Like 2

You won't be the only one but you will see everything from smart casual (maybe less casual tbh) to true formal. I saw plenty of suits/sport jackets, not many tuxes.

FWIW, I was on Harmony in the Caribbean last week for reference.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

A tablemate wore shorts on liberty. No one stopped him. I asked him and he said it wasnt a true dress up night, no lobster. Clearly it's a wear what you want night. 

Never understood why lobster was on 2nd 'Formal' night

Just look at the ages of the pax. As the age goes down, so does the formal dressage. 
You’ll see lots of seniors in suit and tie and lots of younger guys in Jimmy Buffet T-shirts. 
You’ll probably have a hard time finding another person in a tux. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the good replies...seems like a tux might be overkill.  If everyone dressed like ComicCon I would definitely be happy to bust out a Star Trek uniform.  🙂

Probably just going to go with a sport coat.   Thanks all!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 2ferfun said:

Probably just going to go with a sport coat.   Thanks all!

Yes, a sport coat is a good middle-of-the-road alternative that won't make you stand out on a Caribbean itinerary. DH and I enjoy dressing up, but even for us, it's a suit and cocktail dress these days. Haven't done true formal in quite some time.

years ago we made a big thing about formal night and dressed up and then some of us went to cabin and changed after dinner. Not any more.  We go smart casual thru the trip.  Enjoy

Edited by mykidsmom
  • Like 1

It's been a LONG TIME since I've done a short cruise (and seems even longer with the pandemic)...but, in a couple of weeks I have a 4-nighter coming up (Navigator of the Seas to Baja).

So, do they still really have a formal night?  One night for a 4-night cruise?

I like to always be dressed appropriately...but, without bringing formal clothes, we can do 4 nights in a small carry-on sized suitcse each.  Bringing formal attire for that one night really complicates that.

If I dress super casually--like long pants and a golf shirt--will I look totally out of place?  It's hard to believe that many peope bring a full formal outfit for one night on a short cruise...but, it's been so long for us, I really don't know...

Edited by Bruin Steve

3 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

If I dress super casually--like long pants and a golf shirt--will I look totally out of place?

Not at all. On short cruises they have replaced "formal" with "dress to impress" or "dress your best". Probably half are in slacks and sport shirts. You will see a lot more females dressed up than males.

29 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

It's been a LONG TIME since I've done a short cruise (and seems even longer with the pandemic)...but, in a couple of weeks I have a 4-nighter coming up (Navigator of the Seas to Baja).

So, do they still really have a formal night?  One night for a 4-night cruise?

@Bruin Steve 
I’m on a 4 day Grandeur soon with Grandkids.   I found a May cruise planner posted on a “blog” site. Day 2 suggestion was Dress to Impress.  Days  1,3,4 Casual Dress.

This site also had a 4-day Navigator from January.   Same dress suggestions - Dress to Impress on day 2,  Casual other 3 days. 

Edited by ocean sounds
Clarify

Simple advice - dress how you want.

The only two people that may have an opinion that should matter are the maitre d' (who may or may not let you in, but most likely doesn't care either) and your significant other (who may or may not make you sleep on the floor if you don't dress how she wants you to).

If anyone else in the dining room thinks their opinion matters...

bart lisa meh.png

• Like 5

I was surprised to see very formal clothing on the Navigator of the Seas  3-day weekend cruise.  It was Mother's Day weekend, and I guess everyone wanted nice pictures with their Mom.

Wear what you want.  I wear something with some bling and nicer long pants.

A bit off topic...when we cruised out of San Juan, Puerto Rico...

We genuinely enjoyed watching families celebrate "Quinceanera" (sp) while onboard. The celebrants would be dressed in spectacular gowns and the rest of the family members were dressed to the 10's...beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2ferfun said:

First Caribbean cruise this Friday (Oasis from Cape Liberty).  Currently packing (woot!) and trying to decide what to pack for formal night.  In the past have usually taken tuxedo (most don't, I know) but I am wondering what Caribbean formal nights are like recently?  Can anyone who has been on a recent Caribbean itinerary give me some general advice (percent of people in tuxedos, percent of people in suits, percent of people not participating, etc?)

We enjoy formal nights but think everyone should dress how they want to for their cruise. I don't mind being part of a small group that choose to dress up but I don't really want to be THE ONLY ONE dressed up!  Any advice or recent observations would be super helpful!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

A tablemate wore shorts on liberty. No one stopped him. I asked him and he said it wasnt a true dress up night, no lobster. Clearly it's a wear what you want night. 

Lobster means formal?  LOL.  Lobster is what used to be fed to prisoners, servants, apprentices, children and slaves because it was cheap, plentiful and considered less than upper class.   I know that changed in the 19th century, but I still find it so funny.  Anyway, his reason was kind of dumb, but whatever.    

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

If I dress super casually--like long pants and a golf shirt--will I look totally out of place? 

I will gladly dress far more casually than that to make you look formal in comparison.  Huge sacrifice on my part, I know.

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

Simple advice - dress how you want.

The only two people that may have an opinion that should matter are the maitre d' (who may or may not let you in, but most likely doesn't care either) and your significant other (who may or may not make you sleep on the floor if you don't dress how she wants you to).

If anyone else in the dining room thinks their opinion matters...

bart lisa meh.png

i have seen or heard in the past (long ago) that if men have a tank top and/or shorts they were asked to leave