The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday June 21st, 2022

richwmn

Today is finally Summer Day - Summer Solstice, Go Skateboarding Day, and International Yoga Day

Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.--William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Meal Suggestion for today - Pasta With Creamy Fennel Sauce
Drink of the Day - Peach Iced Tea
wine of the Day - Tattoo Girl 2019 Chardonnay (Columbia Valley (WA))
Destination of the Day - Rouen (Paris), France

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Copenhagen, Denmark 11:00 -

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Souda-Chania, Crete Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Sognefjord, Norway 9:00 AM To 7:00 PM

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/22

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0621World.thumb.png.644255992ce3aec1a10fa89cee304849.png

0621Alaska.thumb.png.2530372715c151a00cc2b13f37f59d15.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning,everyone.

Early day today as I have the doctor at 9, lunch with a friend at noon, and the pool at 4.  I do want to get my laps in this morning so this will be brief.  Still no name for the baby.  My nephew wants Wrenlee May and his wife is resisting.  

Today's meal sounds interesting, but way too carby for me.  This one is made with butternut squash ravioli.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pasta-with-creamy-fennel-sauce/440279085_pastafennelsauce1.jpg.ea12bda5009e56684a4aa067d3439b60.jpg

This one uses spaghetti and packs in the calories with butter and whipping cream.  https://eatsmarter.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-creamy-fennel-sauce

604384191_pastafennelsauce2.jpg.bf3c298a82c27c44f1100ce14be8cfb8.jpg

This one roasts the fennel before using it to make the sauce.  https://www.insidetherustickitchen.com/creamy-roasted-fennel-pasta/

363242317_pastafennelsauce3.thumb.jpg.2ce3d96275a1a98c19a121fcb073c547.jpg

This one uses more seasoning for the fennel sauce.  I think the wine, mustard, and lemon zest would be great additions to make a complex flavor.  https://food52.com/recipes/41014-cream-sauce-with-fennel-white-wine-and-mustard

998598427_pastafennelsauce4.thumb.jpg.2ca6f740aa6b5395a33accc1ef7c89d3.jpg

This last one takes us on a totally different track with olives, rosemary, and walnuts.  https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/creamy-fennel-olive-pasta-with-fried-rosemary-walnuts

1586835287_pastafennelsauce5.jpg.7d4f9c1a1c809a5dd8de0bf47c487401.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and Daily family members struggling with challenges.  Fingers crossed that @StLouisCruisers Sandi and her DH get out of Covid jail soon and can salvage some of their vacation.   Cheers for all who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a great first day of summer.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report. Happy Summer!  I will not be skateboarding or doing yoga today, maybe a few stretches though.  Great quote from Mr. Shakespeare.  The meal sounds tasty as does the drink. I have not been to today’s port but I’ve been to Paris many times.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and to those who need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Solstice Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on both Yoga and skateboarding.  Love the Shakespeare quote.  I've been to Paris by train but not to Rouen.  The meal sounds like a nice calorie and carb splurge.  My alternative is Pineapple Boat, Rack of Lamb with with Tomato Couscous, and Garlic Pearls, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Prinsendam May 24, 2015.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt with serious mowing accident and continuing complications
StLouisCruisers and DH in Covid jail another day
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Mister67's Brother and SIL coming down with covid
Heartgrove brother recovering from PEG insertion
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Buddy with worsening problems
From the rotation:
Strength and healing for Kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish baby photos
Durango shelter roof holding
Dobiemom leaving for County Fair until 6/23
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
aliaschief visit from grand-daughter
Welcome home travelingbums
Cruising-along visit from DGS’s
4 days for Crazy for Cats (Zaandam 6/25 to 7/9)
Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS to 6/24), VMAX (Oosterdam to 6/25),  StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) and  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the F & D Report.

Welcome Summer!   It feels like it today.  Sunny and hot in our forecast.

I will not go skateboarding.  I should do some yoga.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not a fan of fennel.  But the drink sounds great.  Hope the wine is good too.

Someday I'll get to Paris.🤞  Thanks for the pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning fellow Daily-ites. Welcome summertime. 

Prayers lifted for Sandi and DH, Buddy, Tana, and hoping Curt is improving. 

I used to skateboard, roller skate, ice skate and roller blade until my back injury. I continue my yoga daily, it brings me peace. 

image.png.5980aff2923fff0c8a0a0486c8010476.png

Today will be another 100 degree day. Meeting friends for lunch downtown and window shop a bit.

Hoping everyone has a beautiful day. Prayers, cheers, and blessings. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

I've been to Paris once if you count sitting in Charles De Gaulle Airport for 4 hours between flights.

I think Paris is a city that needs several full days to visit, and have attempted to do so at least three times at the beginning or end of a cruise, but those were all cruises that were canceled. Hopefully, one day it will work out.

I think Rouen is a stop on the World Cruise, but I'm not sure if I will venture to Paris just to be rushed back to the ship.

• Like 32

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

First day of summer for most of the country but we've been in our normal summer pattern here in Florida since early May except the afternoon showers have now started up.

I'm in on the meal and drink.

Interesting quote, I've never been great at anything but I've been a pretty good golfer, tennis player and  baseball player in my teens. I'm still playing Golf but can't run anymore so no more Tennis for me and haven't played baseball since the late 1960's.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 26

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! It is actually a cool 70 here this morning. The deer were out walking this morning and a couple of does seemed to be following Bindi and me on our morning walk. 

Congratulations, Debbie on your new grand niece! @dfishI am fairly certain that she is checking her hair band to make sure it matches her wrap. That look! Very precious. Looking forward to learning her name. And that Oliver is a cutie.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Off to the gym. I survived both classes yesterday though I did have a nice nap yesterday afternoon.  My donation is boxed, labeled and ready to put out tomorrow morning. I have even mentally tagged some items that will be donated unless I use them in the next six months. Now the trick is not to buy more stuff.

Today’s important message….

48F6A2CA-EA4A-4B25-9748-DA0EE76BAB3A.jpeg.2cadc701ea0d6c59ebd22d9d66ec5399.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. I wish I could throw a force field around the Ukraine, so this terrible conflict would end. May the Ukrainian people stay strong. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Tattoo Girl 2019 Chardonnay

Non-oak Chardonnay lovers pay attention. This wine sounds like a lovely sipping wine for a hot summer’s eve. I only one critic’s review but both he and consumers declare it very good. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $11.99 - makes it much less painful to try!

89 WE

Aromas of yellow apple and pear are followed by medium-bodied flavors. Apple skin notes linger on the finish. It has a pleasing juiciness, with no oak in sight. There's a lot of quality and value to be had.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I've been to Paris once if you count sitting in Charles De Gaulle Airport for 4 hours between flights.

I think Paris is a city that needs several full days to visit, and have attempted to do so at least three times at the beginning or end of a cruise, but those were all cruises that were canceled. Hopefully, one day it will work out.

I think Rouen is a stop on the World Cruise, but I'm not sure if I will venture to Paris just to be rushed back to the ship.

Rich,

Rouen is a bit inland and reached from either LeHavre or Honfleur on the way to Paris.  If you want to go to Paris for the day it is a long ride.  As you have noted, it is better done at either the beginning or the end of the cruise.  Rouen is not a port except maybe on a river cruise.

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all and welcome to Summer. We have been to the port and toured both Rouen and Monet’s home in Giverney.I had looked into taking the train to Paris but it all seemed so rushed in spite of an overnight at the port.

My DH appears to have gout at the ankle joint instead of the great toe where he has had it before. I  was alarmed to see the foot and ankle very swollen,red and warm to the touch.We managed the MD appointment,bloodwork and X-rays within 3 hours yesterday.Walking is very painful. He starts prednisone this morning in an effort to decrease symptoms.

Our other patient unfortunately has pneumonia again and struggles to maintain her ability to cope.She is such a strong woman but it has just been a very difficult few weeks for her.We are  grateful for the good wishes and prayers from the Daily family.

Dinner tonight will be vegetarian chili with corn bread. It is bubbling away in my “crack pot” as I write.I am trying to come up with ways to cook that are less laborious….

1CEC6F33-ECB5-4D8C-B734-5F8435BB7C67.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Yay on Summer Solstice and summer 👍 Hopefully it clears up and we can celebrate the day outside here 🤞 I’ll pass on the other 2 days 😉 

I love that quote from Shakespeare’s 12th Night ♥️ Ooh a white wine today - yay.  Looking forward to hearing about it.

We’ve been to Rouen a couple of times and adore the picturesque spot.  Aside from the beauty, it’s full of history.  Any Joan D’Arc fans will find the historic spot where she was burned at the stake.  The Rose Line (remember the Da Vinci code?) really exists and the marker starts in Rouen.  Really worth visiting at least once if not twice 👍 I’ll see if I can find some pics but this give an idea (the clock is amazing).

961F0652-8D31-46C1-B625-11D6C299B6B0.jpeg.24b99f1059fb303b0e459fe176d77ee0.jpeg

I decided to try to get some stuff done on my list yesterday but one thing took much longer than I had planned.  After hearing rave reviews from Jose’s BFF and wife, I decided it would be wise to make more jam. Since rhubarb is available and strawberries just came out - yup - rhubarb strawberry jam.  New recipe & I had too much fruit.  Talk about a close call when it hit the boiling stage:

F9260A99-7B3E-4255-BDA1-ED7F82C384DC.thumb.jpeg.aaeade4f02950723d4f7026992418990.jpeg

Looks like it has set already so I will be ‘forced’ to do a taste test today to make sure it is suitable for others 😉 

04721E42-9216-4B59-A668-3275A12FAC39.thumb.jpeg.c7ded954ec61d2eff8ab31dafe185d7f.jpeg

I agree with Rich @richwmn - I wouldn’t go to Paris for a day.  It deserves several days to explore.  DH and I were lucky enough to go post cruise by train from Rotterdam and very much enjoyed our 5 day stay.

Looks like it may clear up today - sure hope so, my contractor is coming today unless it rains (can’t work on electricity in the rain 😉). Like the rest of my life, my house has started to fall apart and needs some work.

0BB44B6D-16F5-4B18-A939-CD8C809B935D.jpeg.3b2101a4bd566b1d04fda266be46b92b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone - a friend of mine posted this and truer words were never spoken.  Enjoy every minute of your day today.

FC1D9560-FDC4-4EAF-8BA4-50E6F6F4E528.thumb.jpeg.a2e0f079f7bb6670d5d7a206167968c4.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning fellow Daily-ites. Welcome summertime. 

Prayers lifted for Sandi and DH, Buddy, Tana, and hoping Curt is improving. 

I used to skateboard, roller skate, ice skate and roller blade until my back injury. I continue my yoga daily, it brings me peace. 

image.png.5980aff2923fff0c8a0a0486c8010476.png

Today will be another 100 degree day. Meeting friends for lunch downtown and window shop a bit.

Hoping everyone has a beautiful day. Prayers, cheers, and blessings. 

I so appreciate your prayers for Tana. I read your post to her and she asked me to tell you to please be careful walking in the 100 degree heat downtown!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Rich,

Rouen is a bit inland and reached from either LeHavre or Honfleur on the way to Paris.  If you want to go to Paris for the day it is a long ride.  As you have noted, it is better done at either the beginning or the end of the cruise.  Rouen is not a port except maybe on a river cruise.

Terri

Agree Terri, Rouen is not a cruise port however it is easily reachable from other cruise ports - like Le Havre - about an hour’s drive IIRC and well worth it.

• Like 24

Good morning! Didn’t get my walk in yesterday as a construction team came and repaired our large deck. Due to a couple of original bolts rusting it had shifted a tad. They got it all back and aligned and secured so we are good to go and safe. It’s a large two tiered wooden deck and would have really been really expensive if it had to be replaced! Relief!

Spent New Year’s Eve in Paris one year while stationed in Europe.

Lana Jayne’s last day here today and she has been an angel. Not one time out the entire week! The gals will be on their way to annual sisters and daughters weekend. July second we 🤞fly to Seattle rent a car and drive to Depoe Bay, Oregon for a week on the beach with son and family. Questioning whether the air travel will go as planned.

We are under another heat index warning so may stay close to air conditioning!
Thanks for the Fleet Report and featured and loyal post.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all,

Happy Tuesday and Happy Summer.  

I think I will stay away from Skateboards. I am just glad I can stand and walk on my two feet these days. i do not practice yoga.  Don’t know if my poor body can get in those positions any more.

Interesting quote.

I think we will pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine is another story.

@dfish Debbie the photos of the kids are adorable.  Waiting for a name.

@StLouisCruisersPraying that tomorrow brings you the negative test results and you are released from Covid jail.  I realize that we were really fortunate to be able to stay in our own cabin and have the care and service we received. Prayers for Buddy as well.

Prayers for @HAL Sailer nephew as he undergoes more surgery for his injuries.  

@St. Louis Sal Prayers for you.

@smitty34877Prayers for Tana and for you as her caregiver.

Cheers for those celebrating and cruising.  Cruisers==Stay safe.  This Omicron is so contagious and you really don’t know where you even pick it up. I know there’s an uptick in our area here at home.

Yesterday I felt pretty good for a change.  I tackled two dresser drawers that had a bunch of T-shirts from everywhere.  I managed to get rid of 25.  I now have so much room and was able to arrange my things so neatly in the remaining space.  I am so proud of myself.

Today I am going to do nothing.   If I do too much at once then I am in trouble.  Next is the closet.

The Thrift shop is going to love me when I am done.

Have a good day everyone.  Happy first day of Summer

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

My DH appears to have gout at the ankle joint instead of the great toe where he has had it before. I  was alarmed to see the foot and ankle very swollen,red and warm to the touch.We managed the MD appointment,bloodwork and X-rays within 3 hours yesterday.Walking is very painful. He starts prednisone this morning in an effort to decrease symptoms.

Our other patient unfortunately has pneumonia again and struggles to maintain her ability to cope.She is such a strong woman but it has just been a very difficult few weeks for her

Oh NO.  Your poor DH and Tana.  My prayers for Tana continue and have added your DH 🙏🏻 

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh shoot Sandi. Just read yesterday's thread with your today's post. What a bummer. Better luck tomorrow. 

@StLouisCruisers ditto.  I hope tomorrow is finally freedom day 🤞 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2