Suggestions for good games to bring onboard

On 7/3/2022 at 4:31 PM, the penguins said:

Sequence everytime. Throw away the box (the board folds), a plastic bag for the cards, the counters have their own bags. Takes 30 seconds to learn, the main rules are printed on the board, infinite permutations and you can play with 2,3,4,6,8,9,10 and 12 players. 

My husband copied the board onto 4 pieces of card stock and put fit together with packing tape to make it lighter for traveling. You could probably even laminate it as after a few years of cruising I probably need him to redo it. 

2 minutes ago, mom4mom said:

My husband copied the board onto 4 pieces of card stock and put fit together with packing tape to make it lighter for traveling. You could probably even laminate it as after a few years of cruising I probably need him to redo it. 

You can buy a 27"x32" roll-up Sequence mat instead of a board..  My friends keep it under their glass top table at home, and pull it out for travel.

• Thanks 1

Pass the Pigs is a small, lightweight game in it's own case. (2 x 5 inches) Easy game for all ages and doesn't last forever. Will occupy people while waiting. Canasta is another favorite but takes a long time. We love Mexican Train and Rummikub. Play them often at home, not just on a cruise!

We are a huge board game family. Here are examples of what we might bring:

Skull (favorite for pre dinner with a cocktail)

Quest or One Night ultimate Wereworlf

Just One

Invasion Evasion

Fake Artist Goes to NY

Skull King

and  these Apps on phone/iPad:

Triple Agent

Paperback or Hardback

Ticket to Ride

Scotland Yard

Out of the Loop

Patchwork

Obviously we are huge fans of social deduction games.  If Blood of the Clocktower arrives before our cruise on Oasis on the 29th I will be sorely tempted to bring it along, but the box is enormous!

• Like 1

I also bring some custom games to play to celebrate a family member.  Sometimes trivia based on an anniversary year, sometimes custom Time’s Up cards related to our family, and my favorite, “[insert family member name] is Always Right”.

For this one, pick a person in your group and bring paper and a writing implement for each player. Ask questions like “favorite sandwich”, “favorite Disney World ride”, “favorite cruise port”, “what job you would want on a cruise ship”, etc. 

For example, let’s say I picked Judy as the one who is always right. Judy writes down her top two answers for each question. Then everyone else writes down their guesses as to what Judy chose. Since Judy is always right, she will win, but everyone else gets a point for each time they match her answer and whoever has the most points also wins.  I bring along some booby prizes for the winners and and everyone has a great time. 

On 7/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, Florida_cruisers said:

We are going on the Anthem soon and it’s a 14-night cruise. We have four sea days. We are a family group of 9 people (includes extended family) ranging from 16 to 67. 
what are hood games to bring with us to play on sea days? I am already packing a set of dominoes. 
I should also note that we have to fly from the US to London, so luggage space is limited. 

You have 4 sea days on a 14 night cruise?  That's a busy cruise with 9 ports.  My recent 12 night had 6 sea days.

On a 9 night cruise, i brought Mansions of Madness with me.  https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/mansions-of-madness-second-edition/ But it was before i packed it full of expansions.  Now that that i have more expansions, it wouldn't work.

I also brought Eldritch Horror https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/eldritch-horror/ As well.  Again, I was able to fit all in one box, but not able to do so now with the expansions I have now.

Yeah, i like my games.

I would agree with Cards Against Humanity, but if your group is easily embarrassed or doesn't like the raunch factor, I would recommend Apples to Apples instead. It's the same gameplay mechanics, but family friendly.  It's hard to find games that play 9, bit both of those would do. The boxes are big but we just put the cards in bags in our luggage and leave the boxes at home.

As already mentioned, Phase 10 is small (only equipment is cards, and you'll want a notepad or phone to keep score) and a lot of people can play. 

My favorite is Quiddler. It's a word game, but played with cards so is compact.

There is a small travel version of Settlers of Catan you can buy online. We bring that a lot. 

Other compact games - guillotine, love letter, skipbo, uno, exploding kittens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sportmorgan said:

We are a huge board game family. Here are examples of what we might bring:

Skull (favorite for pre dinner with a cocktail)

Quest or One Night ultimate Wereworlf

Just One

Invasion Evasion

Fake Artist Goes to NY

Skull King

and  these Apps on phone/iPad:

Triple Agent

Paperback or Hardback

Ticket to Ride

Scotland Yard

Out of the Loop

Patchwork

Obviously we are huge fans of social deduction games.  If Blood of the Clocktower arrives before our cruise on Oasis on the 29th I will be sorely tempted to bring it along, but the box is enormous!

Salem 1692 is a fun and quick card game for a large group. Small box😉

I'd recommend a game called Don't Get Got. It's less of a sit down and play game but fun for a large group over a few days. It's difficult to explain but easy to learn and easy to play - for adults and kids alike. 

On 7/5/2022 at 9:11 AM, flamingos said:

You can buy a 27"x32" roll-up Sequence mat instead of a board..  My friends keep it under their glass top table at home, and pull it out for travel.

I've not seen this one.  Going to have to look into it; thanks.

I bring a deck of cards and have for our 32 cruises but the seal has never been broken on it lol.  We read a lot.  I grew up playing a lot of games with my sisters and friends.  DH did not.  But, DH and I used to play Uno with his brother and friends.  I grew up playing everything under the sun from Life to Monopoly to Mille Bornes, scrabble, chess, chinese checkers, rummy, etc.  DH liked playing Uno and Risk and that's about it.  

There are travel versions of so many games.  Even games like Battleship.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

We bring Yahtzee dice and a score pad, Uno, regular cards and Scrabble. If the Scrabble box doesn't fit once we've packed we just bring the board, tiles and tile holders. We usually find room to stuff them in.