Windjammer Dinner

generally no. WJ will have 1 item from the MDR menu. However, if the ship does themed nights (Caribbean night, Greek night, Asian night etc) then you'll have to try it all! On some ships I have found tucked away in a low traffic area the famous cold fruit soup. Other than that, dinner in WJ is no different than lunch in WJ

13 minutes ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

We generally do MDR for dinner and Windjammer for lunch, but is there anything that's only available for dinner at Windjammer that's a must try?

We had a themed night in WJ every night. Personally I love dinner there. I only saw oriental 1 night with pork belly as the carving item and oriental duck which was good.

Caribbean night has meat patties and beans and rice and cooked plantains I like.

USA night had 5 inch hamburgers with all the extra trimmings even bacon . Lots of extras and I like fries in WJ that dont come with much in Mdr. 

They did crepes one night with sauce like strawberry and chocolate and chocolate chips and other stuff. Even make your own nachos on Mexican night. Enchiladas 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

We generally do MDR for dinner and Windjammer for lunch, but is there anything that's only available for dinner at Windjammer that's a must try?

There is a theme for each night's dinner in the Windjammer. There will be a small section set aside with the "food of the night". And there will be "regular" food everywhere else on the buffet. When the MDR fails you, head upstairs for a real meal. 

• Like 2

As stated above they may have a theme nights scheme for some stations in the WJ, apart the regular fare. At least they had them on Allure in Europe, but that was years ago. As I remember it was advertised at the daily newspaper near the dinner opening hours.

Just now, yogimax said:

Not all ships have it but we love the stir fry or Mongolian barbecue.

grandeur did a few days during my 4 legs of cooking mussels and shrimp in stock, kinda stir fired without veggies. I'm so so on mussels I think. 

Another lunch cuban sandwiches, another was pasta day, philly cheese steaks. I hate pasta but tried all the rest. One night at this station I think was some kind of steak and eggs. Grandeur was more inventive than liberty..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Not all ships have it but we love the stir fry or Mongolian barbecue.

The cook to order station in general is a big reason we eat dinner there when it’s just me & my picky wife. She can create her own pasta, stir fry, etc.

Mongolian is one of my favs. Had it for lunch on Harmony about a month ago. Told the chef to make me a spicy sauce & his enthusiastic response scared me, lol, but it was delicious & didn’t burn my face off.

Crepe station is very good as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

I wish they would put out a menu for Windjammer, like for the crepes, so we would know!

On Enchantment in April, a crepe station at dinner was was available almost all  12 nights of the cruise. It was the only ship I have sailed that brought made to order eggs to your table during breakfast hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

The cook to order station in general is a big reason we eat dinner there when it’s just me & my picky wife. She can create her own pasta, stir fry, etc.

Mongolian is one of my favs. Had it for lunch on Harmony about a month ago. Told the chef to make me a spicy sauce & his enthusiastic response scared me, lol, but it was delicious & didn’t burn my face off.

Crepe station is very good as well.

Harmony has the best WJ...Ate there every night this past April.

21 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I remember you saying that more than once before my 5/29 sailing. Had a few lunches there but wound up sticking with the extended family who prefer to be served and didn't get to check out the WJ for "2nd dinner" as often as I usually do on family cruises.

Can't exactly complain though since I wasn't paying and we were in a suite. Back to the WJ in 12 days, but on Indy.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Ashland...a bit off topic...apologies in advance to the OP.

If we have an assigned table in the MDR, and decided to eat in the Windjammer every night like you did...will our assigned table waiter/asst. waiter/headwaiter, etc.... still receive our gratuities?  We have friends who told us they remove the tips and gives it to the Windjammer staff assigned there at night. What say you? Thanks.

Happy 4th of July!

13 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Ashland...a bit off topic...apologies in advance to the OP.

If we have an assigned table in the MDR, and decided to eat in the Windjammer every night like you did...will our assigned table waiter/asst. waiter/headwaiter, etc.... still receive our gratuities?  We have friends who told us they remove the tips and gives it to the Windjammer staff assigned there at night. What say you? Thanks.

Happy 4th of July!

Yes the gratuities will be distributed per policy. We personally would never remove the automatic gratuity as it goes to many other staff members. However we certainly give the WJ staff as we often sit in the same area of the WJ and get to know the servers on those nights and tip those that have served us throughout the cruise on the last night. One person that many forget about is that friendly 

"washy washy" greeter as you enter the WJ.

Hope this helps but bottom line is to do what best suits your onboard experience.

Happy 4th of July and happy, healthy and safe travels to you. !!!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I remember you saying that more than once before my 5/29 sailing. Had a few lunches there but wound up sticking with the extended family who prefer to be served and didn't get to check out the WJ for "2nd dinner" as often as I usually do on family cruises.

Can't exactly complain though since I wasn't paying and we were in a suite. Back to the WJ in 12 days, but on Indy.

Our extended family that sailed with us on Harmony (that included our two young grandsons) had no interest in the dining room and we were all in suites and I was the one paying. Next up for us will be checking out the WJ this month on Jewel and then a couple of Serenade cruises...I know they won't live up to the Harmony.

Enjoy the Indy !!!

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

Our extended family that sailed with us on Harmony (that included our two young grandsons) had no interest in the dining room and we were all in suites and I was the one paying. Next up for us will be checking out the WJ this month on Jewel and then a couple of Serenade cruises...I know they won't live up to the Harmony.

Enjoy the Indy !!!

Jewel has one of the best WJ imho due to the outside seating.

Indian night there is delicious 😋