I’m confused - difference between dressy and gala attire??

It's the reality reflecting what one can bring on airlines nowadays for cruises outside the US, plus the post-pandemic movement for casual wear 24-7. When you are allowed only one free check-in luggage on flights to Europe, fancy clothes and shoes go down the priority packing list. Plus a sizable proportion of passengers now do post or pre cruise land trips where dressy attire is not needed for the most part. On my Norway cruise, the local Dutch passengers tended to dress up more than the Americans partly because luggage wasn't an issue for them. But we still got stellar service despite some of us wearing dark t-shirts for dinner on casual nights. As for Alaska and Caribbean sailings originating from the US,  those locations have a more laid-back vibe as well. 

On a recent Oosterdam cruise there was one guy who ate lunch each day in the Lido, wearing his bathrobe.  After a couple of days I mentioned to DW that it was not a nice thing to do.

She just asked if I would rather he took it off and just wore his speedos ?🤐

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

We've been cruising since the 90s and yes, we have "dressed" for dinner regularly - in the Caribbean, on cruise-only vacations.  I'm happy to see that the dress code has been significantly relaxed as we embark on our 11 day cruise tour to Alaska.  It seems crazy to have to bring fancy dress for dinner when we have one "dressy" evening, and the rest of the cruise (2 days) and the other 8 days will be in casual and hiking gear - especially when we are super concerned that our luggage won't arrive with us.

I would love to bring my fancy dresses when I am not worried about taking that luggage all over the countryside.

Thanks for the tips!

On 7/5/2022 at 3:34 PM, BetsyS. said:

I agree with you!! 😊

Plus, I truly believe I am better behaved when I am all dolled up.  That's why I always dress up for dinner without fail.  It's far more elegant.  Plus, I love the wolf whistles, lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Petrocelli said:

This is how we dressed for Gala Night on the Koningsdam two weeks ago.   Probably less than 25% of people dressed as formally as we did.  However, I always prefer to be overdressed than underdressed

PXL_20220711_004746379 (2)_original.jpg

That is what we wear for gala nights, or whatever they call it that day.   We always  dress up for formal/gala/dressy night.

• Like 2

I tend to dress better than normal but that is because it gives me a chance to wear the jewels (different opinionated discussion).  Anyway for those who want to be casual my rule would be is it is all good until the Maitre d’ tells you otherwise. Then be polite and come back with a better outfit or go to the lido. 

• Like 3

I was planning on bringing a sport coat, tie and nice slacks for dinner on my cruise, just because it’s something I rarely get a chance to do. I’m a truck driver and 90% of the time, I eat dinner in truck stops. I was kind of looking forward to dressing up a bit!

Edited by Troubador222
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, Petrocelli said:

This is how we dressed for Gala Night on the Koningsdam two weeks ago.   Probably less than 25% of people dressed as formally as we did.  However, I always prefer to be overdressed than underdressed

PXL_20220711_004746379 (2)_original.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture. You both look great! 😊

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Troubador222 said:

I was planning on bringing a sport coat, tie and nice slacks for dinner on my cruise, just because it’s something I rarely get a chance to do. I’m a truck driver and 90% of the time, I eat dinner in truck stops. I was kind of looking forward to dressing up a bit!

You still can. If it would please you to look nice and a little bit dressed up, then by all means, do it. 

I know I will dressed up most nights on my upcoming cruise. Should I get comments that I am a little too dressed up, it won't be the first time. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, kickboxrca said:

We've been cruising since the 90s and yes, we have "dressed" for dinner regularly - in the Caribbean, on cruise-only vacations.  I'm happy to see that the dress code has been significantly relaxed as we embark on our 11 day cruise tour to Alaska.  It seems crazy to have to bring fancy dress for dinner when we have one "dressy" evening, and the rest of the cruise (2 days) and the other 8 days will be in casual and hiking gear - especially when we are super concerned that our luggage won't arrive with us.

I would love to bring my fancy dresses when I am not worried about taking that luggage all over the countryside.

Thanks for the tips!

Ditto.  When we have 2 weeks of cruise and 5-7 weeks of independent land travel guess how we are going to dress and what we are willing to pack?

But...we like to see people as dressed up as they like and enjoying their cruise to the fullest. 

Cannot imagine anyone criticizing a cruiser for being dressed up or going casual.   Too many busybodies.  Too little MYOB.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

My thoughts are "gala" sounds like gowns and tuxedos. Those are days gone by in many cases. Dressy sounds like a lovely evening out with slacks, jacket and a pretty dress. That's what I plan on packing for our 45 day Caribbean cruise on beautiful Rotterdam Dec/Jan.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, VMax1700 said:

On a recent Oosterdam cruise there was one guy who ate lunch each day in the Lido, wearing his bathrobe.  After a couple of days I mentioned to DW that it was not a nice thing to do. She just asked if I would rather he took it off and just wore his speedos ?🤐

One sailing I was on a few years back had some issues with passengers repeatedly coming from the pool like this, not wearing even a robe in the Lido.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

To me, 'Gala' indicates that long gowns are appropriate, as is cocktail wear, while 'dressy' implies something less dressed up. I would think of 'dressy' as something you used to see worn in church in the days when people dressed nicely for church, or a fine restaurant. 

It's too bad terms can't be defined so people would have a clue what is meant, not just on HAL, but everywhere. 

• Like 2

Just back from two weeks on the Oosterdam. Gala nights very few men wore suit & tie, some wore jacket open collar, most wore no jacket shirt only. Saw one person black T shirt. Few people in bath robe in the Lido. Dress code has gone down hill, casual seems to be the new norm.

We found large differences over the years based on where we lived in Canada

Dress at business casual events in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver that we attended  tended to be different, sometimes very different, from each other in terms of dress.  DItto for corporate events in Boston/NH areas.

Same for attire at weddings, funerals, church, fine restaurants. etc.

And this has changed over the years and changed again  as the demographics have changed.   At my spouses church it would be a straightforward exercise to place congregants in the right demographic category simply by their attire.

I have no doubt that differences exist between regions in the US.   Boston, New York, in our experience if very different that Montana or the west coast.

Edited by iancal

Casual is the new norm everywhere.  When I started working as a lawyer in 1984, you wore a tie to work every day.  Then we had casual Friday, where you could wear khakis.  Then we went to jeans at all times.  Now people complain when you make them come to work.

I wore a suit on gala night because.... well... my wife told me to.  I'd probably wear a sport jacket and slacks with an open collar button down next time.  (Too much weight for dress shoes to go with a suit.)

Even though very few people were dressed in suits, every one I can recall was dressed appropriately when we were on music walk.  Very neat, business casual.  I recall an occasional T shirt, but that was pretty rare.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 5:13 PM, Hlitner said:

You are living in a dream world of have not cruised on many ships.  Seeing men in "wife beater" shirts with backwards baseball caps (even in the evening) is not unusual on many lines such as RCI and Princess.  As to women, we now think that many do not even own a dress.  It is not uncommon to see women (are we even allowed to call them "women") wearing Daisy Dukes (which do not flatter women who are 100 pounds overweight) and sleeveless tops to dinner.

I have adjusted to the new less formal dress codes.  Even on our last Seabourn cruise (March-April) I did not take my Tux (the first time I ever left that home).  On our December Enchanted Princess cruise I think I could have worn my swim suit into the dining room which would have improved on some of the stuff worn by a few other men.  Cruise lines, in theory, have different rules for men and women.  So it is OK for women to wear shorts into the MDR (at dinner) but men are supposed to wear long pants.  But these days I guess a man could wear short-shorts and simply "identify" as a woman (what are your pronouns?)  And if the ladies room has a long line what is to stop a woman from "identifying as a man" and just using the mens room?  It is truly a "world gone mad" and I think many folks are beginning to realize that a world without etiquette, manners, and some dress code rules, is not such a good thing.

Hank

Why would we, men, mind if a woman uses the “mensroom”?! Come on, the prudeness is getting to much. I seriously think that unisex bathrooms are the way forward, and yes, with urinals.

as for the dress code, I no longer bring a suit with me. Our son needs lots of clothing and I am not prepared to be the mule, carrying 3 large bags plus hand luggage...

• Thanks 2

On 7/22/2022 at 11:11 AM, Petrocelli said:

However, I always prefer to be overdressed than underdressed.

I'll take overdressed every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.

As I've posted elsewhere: I'm going to the trouble of traveling to the middle of the ocean. I'll damn sure dress better than dinner at Olive Garden.

IMG_2487.jpg.a7e93c7d8c04d99ed1e0e04fea603f69.jpg

(That's daywear. It's tux-time at 6pm.)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

I'll take overdressed 

As I've posted elsewhere: I'm going to the trouble of traveling to the middle of the ocean. I'll damn sure dress better than dinner at Olive Garden.

IMG_2487.jpg.a7e93c7d8c04d99ed1e0e04fea603f69.jpg

(That's daywear. It's tux-time at 6pm.)

!!!

On 7/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, billbunger said:

I disagree, the dress code has not gone down hill. It has merely changed, just as times change. 

To me that seems like a distinction without a difference.   Saying it has changed and that it is now requires a more casual dress is really the same as it has done down hill.  The reason for the change in  part is that cruising use to be something the more affluent took part in.  To broaden their customer base the cruise lines saw that many cruisers would balk if required to wear a Tux to formal night or for that matter even a suit jacket.  So, they "downgraded" the requirements.  I use to love seeing the men dressed in Tux and the women in gowns. Very elegant.  I now see men going into the main dining room in shorts and a tee shirt and no one says anything.  I find that sad.  

• Like 3