Why do people carry on Luggage

ThaNectar

I've personally had my bag go "missing". It was found. Having a luggage carried to my room is not worth the trade-off of it going missing. I've been on vacation without luggage and it ruins the mood big time. Nor is it worth $5-$10. Some porters will absolutely not treat your stuff right without a sizable enough tip.

My family of four (Me, DH, DDs 19 &22) just traveled 11 days in Amsterdam and Paris with only carry ons and backpacks.  Fancy dinners, museums, sidecar motor tours and the Eiffel Tower etc, we were able to dress for any occasion.  Our light packing made a huge difference with airports and train travel.  Having said all that, a Caribbean cruise looks like a piece of cake to pack for now!  Maybe DH and I will share a carry on for our Labor Day weekend cruise!  Ok, I'm joking.  Maybe. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThaNectar said:

IMO, it's one of four primary reasons, like primary colors....

1. Control. People want to maintain some level of control, and that means controlling your bags/belongings.

2. Fear. The fear of losing your bags entirely or not having them when needed. 

3. Impatient. Wants the bags now. This is me. I am the guy looking out my door every time I hear a noise outside. Impatient people just do it themselves, it's faster and easier (they tell themselves)

4. Smugglers. Those trying to slide on a little contraband, like blue-green colored vodka in a 2 gallon Scope bottle for a 7 day cruise.

I am sure there is some mix and match there, but like the primary colors you can probably build every reason from there four base primary reasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My bag got lost once. It was evening after we set sail, and my suitcase still hadn’t shown up, so I had to go to guest services and they led me and a few other people to the lost luggage room. There were so many suitcases in there including mine. The deck location tags had accidentally ripped off. I was so relieved my suitcase made it on the ship.
We don’t like checking luggage on the plane, so we pack carry ons. We will check sometimes on the return flight, but that would be easier to deal with if it goes missing. 

• Like 2

We were on the liberty 2 weeks ago.  When we went in our room around 4, our 2 bags were inside (platinum) and somebody else’s bag.  After we checked it for anything valuable we could keep, we rolled it out to a steward in the hallway.  I’m sure those people will be bringing on their luggage next cruise.  

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Batman5924 said:

After we checked it for anything valuable we could keep, we rolled it out to a steward in the hallway.  I’m sure those people will be bringing on their luggage next cruise.  

I'm dying here.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you, thank you very much.

my daughter went to Ireland a month ago.  Long story short, her bag was never loaded on the plane in Dublin.  She’s 18 she was very upset.  It arrived at our front door 4 days later.  I said to her, that’s why when we fly, you see people jamming their luggage in the space above their plane seats. When we got home, I showed her the scene from Meet The Parents where Ben Stiller refused to give up his bag on the plane unless they could remove it “from his kungfu grip”-she laughed through her tears. 

Now I'm worried about losing luggage! haha  My nephew recently went on a cruise and he didn't attach his tag well and had to go find his suitcase the first night.   

On our recent cruise, all 4 of us had a 12 pack of sodas, hubby and I each brought wine so I had that in a carry on bag, and both of our teen girls had backpacks. Going thru security and the endless lines to disembark was a nightmare.  Especially thru security where the workers were literally yelling at people. We would have never made it with our actual suitcases too. haha  I've got to come up with a better system to get our sodas on next time.....

8 hours ago, ThaNectar said:

Trying to figure out why people carry on all of their luggage... Personally, I carry on a backpack with meds/passports/paperwork/ etc.. 

But I am trying to figure out why people want to tote all that luggage around for a few hours.

It's so easy to just give your luggage to the porter and then have it delivered right to your cabin. 

Maybe I'm missing something 

The one time I’ve done that it was not on purpose. Just a bad port experience. Our Uber dropped us off at the New Orleans port for our cruise on Dream in 2018, and as we were getting our bearings, a very cranky and loud terminal worker just yelled at everyone to stop standing around out front and made us go inside. We didn’t have a chance to drop our luggage off with the porters. 

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I carried on once (In Long Beach) when I couldn't find a porter. I think they were still on debarkation when they let us in the building. But on my Alaska cruise I had to fill out lost luggage paper work. You don't ever want to have to do that. You especially don't want to have to do that on your way to ALASKA. That ruined my first night until they found my luggage. I can see why people carry on. And if you're diamond or platinum you can drop your bags off in your room after boarding.

That happened to us in San Francisco.   We didn't realize the guys hovering around as we took our bags out of the car worked for the port.  So we ended up wheeling our bags through check in and onto the boat.  Our SIL, who arrived separately, made the guy show an ID before she would give her bags over.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhitleycrew said:

Now I'm worried about losing luggage! haha  My nephew recently went on a cruise and he didn't attach his tag well and had to go find his suitcase the first night.   

On our recent cruise, all 4 of us had a 12 pack of sodas, hubby and I each brought wine so I had that in a carry on bag, and both of our teen girls had backpacks. Going thru security and the endless lines to disembark was a nightmare.  Especially thru security where the workers were literally yelling at people. We would have never made it with our actual suitcases too. haha  I've got to come up with a better system to get our sodas on next time.....

I’ve seen families put their sodas in a rolling suitcase before when they had 4 or 5 of them.

May last three cruises I have just brought a small back pack.  We don’t dress for formal nights and I have packing down to a minimum.  I like going through airports with no checked bags and I like to be able to go to the room and unpack on arrival. It makes getting off the ship first thing easy and of course there is the waiting on your bag issue.  My sixteen year old son and I did the 9 day Norwegian Fjords cruise out of Dover this month and we only brought smaller back packs.  It worked fine.  We did a load of laundry half way through.  There are tons of YouTube videos on packing light and compact and lots of tips.  It is fund to lay your stuff out on a spar bed a week before and start pairing it down.  We found that there was lots of items we never wore or needed so our Magic Cruise at Xmas this year will be similar.  

Lost luggage is a pain!

• Like 2

We are flying to England to pick up our Pride Northern Europe and Dover to Rome cruises.

With the chaos and delays at airports we are taking a carry-on  only this cruise.   We plan on arriving at Dover in the afternoon and will carry on our own, it doesn't make sense to hand it over to a porter and then wait for it when we have rolled them around airports, train stations etc

• Like 2

Having just navigated the London/Dover experience, I highly recommend it.  If you are mobile and like to walk, it about a 40 minute walk downhill from the Dover Priority Train station to the cruise terminal.  Nice views.  We walked both ways as we were not in a rush.  If you are taking the trail from London, it is just some much easier to have small carry on or backpack.  Enjoy.  Those Northern European Capitals make for a great cruise!  

• Like 1

After having my suitcase misplaced on an 8 day Carnival cruise, I absolutely, carry on my suitcase.  It was day 5 before we were at a port that had any shopping options as our 1st stop was the private island. The options onboard were limited to: fun ship t-shirts, Billabong booty shorts and a delightful assortment of horrid one piece swim or postage stamp bikinis - both with limited size options.  There was not options on board to buy underwear, bras, etc.   Fortunately, I made lots of new friends on that trip who kindly shared their extra clothing with me.

I generally pack pretty light with a carry on size piece of luggage and a beach bag so it's not like I am schlepping around some giant suitcase.  My suitcase showed back up on the night before debarkation.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Why are some people allowed to carry luggage that are far too large to go through the scanners and have to be hand checked? Are they trying to sneak stuff in and think it is easier in a hand checked bag? 

Luggage has to be pretty darned big to not fit through the scanner.  Have you seen this happen?  What was it, like a foot locker???

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.  

The Carnival Cruise Luggage Restrictions You Need to Know

• Like 1