The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 20th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Ice Cream Soda Day, National Hot Dog Day, and National Lollipop Day

A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.--William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Meal Suggestion for today - Pork Chile Verde
Drink of the Day - Makers Mark And Kumquat Marmalade
Wine of the Day - Grosgrain 2020 Skin-Contact Les Collines Vineyard
Destination of the Day - Valletta, Malta

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Geiranger, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Djupivogur, Iceland 10:00 - 19:00

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0720Atlantic.thumb.png.dff60d91142dbb3996db5dc1f2df9444.png

0720Pacific.thumb.png.10d75873e49c762cf2fe468505271cc0.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thank you for the Fleet Report and Daily.

Another hot day and a chance of severe thunderstorms later today.  I don't want the thunder and lightning, but we need the rain.

An ice cream soda would be wonderful today.  I'm not a fan of hot dogs.  I haven't had a lollipop in years.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I think I'll like the drink too, hope the wine is tasty and not too expensive.

We haven't been to Malta yet, but I hope we get there someday.  Thanks in advance for pictures and comments.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay cool.  Stay safe.

• Like 33

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for today’s daily report.  It’s going to be another hot one here today, perfect for hot dogs and an ice cream soda.  Hats off to lollipops, although I can’t remember the last time that I had one.  I really like the quote, I’ve been reading a lot lately and it’s so true.  I made the pork recipe the last time the meal suggestion came up and it was very good.  Not sure about the drink, maybe.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 30

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I like the quote as I read at least a book a week.

Ice cream sodas are great as are hot dogs but not often. As a kid, I never really liked lollipops except for chocolate Tootsie Pops.

We'd love to visit Malta, we've been on 3 Mediterranean cruises but Malta wasn't on any of the itineraries.

Florida is in it's usual summer period of heat and morning humidity but we have another dose of Saharan dust over us again, keeps the rain and hurricanes away even though we are not in peak hurricane season yet. 

Off to the golf course in a few minutes.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31

Thank you for the hump day report, Rich.  While I love ice cream it rarely comes as a soda.  I also enjoy hot dogs but not very often.  I'll pass on the Lollipop.  Interesting point of view from Styron.  Been to Valetta just once, on the Crystal Serenity in 2010.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Roasted and raw carrot Salad, Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart as served on MS Volendam July 20, 2018.  I forgot my camera that day.

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
Heat in Europe, USA, and Frozen Tundra
Quartzite Cruisers original doctor
Ren’s dirty opponent today
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy 2/26
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistant cough

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Cruzin Terri  in Williamsburg
Aliaschief in Norway until 8/14
Great job by ren’s team
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
New Camila photo and Grampa out of hospital
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Makers Mark and Kumquat Marmalade cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 splash fresh Lemon Juice
1 splash Simple Syrup
1 tsp Maker's Mark® Kumquat Marmalade

Instructions
In a shaker, place enough ice to half-fill a rocks glass, followed by 2 parts of Makers Mark® Bourbon and splashes of fresh lemon juice and simple syrup. Shake vigorously (until ice is crushed). Pour entire contents of shaker into a rocks glass until full. Garnish with Makers Mark® Kumquat Marmalade.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 7.06.34 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It is currently sunny and 70°F but feels a lot fresher than the last 2 days.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping the list's up to date.

3 nice food day's.

I don't read book's except golf magazines.

Today's food sounds nice but will give the drink a miss.

Malta is an excellent port and the sail in is excellent.

We have holidayed in Malta and sailed in several times and would urge everyone to visit if possible.

My prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

It is nice to see so many dailyites currently or due to sail.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

• Like 30

Chile Verde literally means “green chili,” and it's a Mexican stew made by cooking meat (usually pork) in a sauce made with green chile peppers and tomatillos until it is fall-apart tender. It is also known as Puerco con Salsa Verde.

A tomatillo is a small round fruit with a green color and papery husk.  Fresh tomatillos have a unique flavor that is tart, bright and almost citrusy. They are mainly eaten cooked but can also be prepared raw.  You can buy them in cans too.

Some brief information about the wide variety of green chile peppers available.

Anaheim/California chile is known in Mexico as chile verde del norte, since it is common in the northern part of that country and virtually unknown in the central and southern regions. It is also one of the most common chiles in the southwestern United States. These long, bright green chiles were taken from New Mexico to California in the early 1900s and were bred to be milder in order to suit the taste of the norteamericanos of that time. This is one of the few chiles that retains its name when ripened and dried. Therefore, if a recipe calls for Anaheim or California peppers, you should make sure you're getting the right ones for the recipe, meaning fresh and green or red and dried. Keep in mind that while these green chiles are some of the mildest around, they can still vary in their heat level.

New Mexico/Hatch chiles are virtually identical to California and Anaheim peppers, with one distinct difference: they are much, much hotter. Hatch chiles are New Mexico chiles that are grown in the small town of Hatch, New Mexico, and are considered premium green chiles.

Poblano green chiles are named after Puebla, Mexico, this type of pepper has a beautiful dark green color and is wider than the Anaheim chile. It is usually hotter than the Anaheim as well, though its piquancy varies, and it can sometimes be very mild. When dried, the poblano is called an ancho chile.

The chilaca green chile is long and narrow like the New Mexico pepper, but its color ranges from a rich green to a dark, chocolatey brown. It is used in a variety of Mexican dishes but is most often employed in its dried form, when it takes the name pasilla chile.

Jalapeno peppers are perhaps the most famous fresh chiles of all. They take their name from Xalapa, also spelled Jalapa, in the state of Veracruz.

Serrano peppers tend to be very hot. They are usually used in salsas and as a flavoring, not as the main component of a dish. They can be roasted, but they can also be chopped up in their fresh state and used as a topping or seasoning to add heat and flavor to a dish.

The habanero chile is one of the hottest peppers grown. It is roundish or bell-shaped and can be green, yellow, orange, red, or even purple or brownish.

Here is an authentic Mexican Chile Verde recipe is made of tender pieces of pork simmered in a flavorful tomatillo and chile broth. It is low carb, gluten free, paleo and freezer-friendly.

https://www.isabeleats.com/mexican-pork-chile-verde/

Chile verde in a white bowl.

Here is a slow cooker version.  The low and slow cooking time creates very tender pork chunks, and the flavor of the green chile sauce only gets better the longer it is cooked.

https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-chile-verde/

2 tortillas on a plate with pork chile verde on them.

I know many people who are cooking with their InstaPot (I do not have one.)  Here is a very quick recipe using the pressure cooker feature.

https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe

Pressure Cooker Pork Chile Verde

Buen Provecho!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Good morning everyone. 

I am up early and thought I would post before the day gets ahead of me.

Thank you Rich for the Fleet report and the Daily.

I like all three days.  

Ice Cream Sodas—I like them and used to drink them.  However, I no longer drink carbonated beverages so I have not had an Ice Cream Soda in a long time.

Hot Dogs—Like them but don’t eat them often.

Lollipops—Like them but haven’t eaten on in a while.

I like the quote.  I read quite a bit these days and always enjoy a good book.

Will pass on the meal  since I do not eat peppers.

Also a pass on the drink of the day.

We will see about the wine.

We have been to Valletta at least twice.  I do know that the first time was when I had the DVT in my leg and didn’t know it.  I really do not remember what happened to the photos from that trip since I ended up in the hospital after it.

I was there at least one other time.  If I have time later and the photos are on my Ipad I will post some.  Valletta is a beautiful sail-in and a beautiful city.

Thank you to Roy for the lists.  Prayers for all who are ill and especially those with Covid or dealing with its after effects.  Not fun! 

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

We are ready to have breakfast and then head over to see our friends.

A drive on the Colonial Parkway is on the agenda for today and dinner tonight.  Not sure what else.

Will report back later if I have the opportunity.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay cool and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s lunch will be hot dogs with some leftover sauerkraut. I haven’t had an ice cream soda in a long time but it would be nice on this hot day.   Today is going to be a busy one since I kicked off four work projects yesterday.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.b6d2a85eedb92eb00d48671204d48331.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 13

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily. A busy day here with power washing and pool solar panel heating system repair. I need to fit a gym class in there somewhere. 
And I got another “all clear” from my dermatologist yesterday. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Wondering if any Dailyites have ever visited The Tasting Room at Pike’s Place Market in Seattle? It sounds like an amazing way to try small vintage wines. 

The girls loved this idea. Luckily they are currently in between pets. 

1D373B2C-6987-49F0-9C4C-2BEEDDF23629.jpeg.f72e8aaf8b3acd6c838cb284af751241.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Grosgrain 2020 Skin-Contact Les Collines Vineyard

This wine is a bit elusive, but I would love to taste it. It sounds lovely for a hot, humid day. An excellent review and price within my budget. I only found a couple online distributors with prices starting at $32.00.

92 Wine Enthusiast

This is a one-of-a-kind Sémillon wine in the state, fermented 14 days on skins and aged in clay amphorae and stainless steel. Aromas of lemon balm, herb, graphite and cream lead to a textured palate backed by bright, lemony acidity, with clay notes throughout. It's a statement for this producer and the Walla-Walla valley. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

Good morning. I am waiting for the ancient Subaru to have his inspection. The owner and his mechanics are always pleased to see us but hopefully today it will be simple.It is hot l and humid already  so I decided against walking home and back later.

It is a good collection  of days and I love the quote.Books have been my escape my entire  life and continue to be very important  now.I would  love an ice cream soda today! The recipe sounds great and the slow cooker would be put to good use.

My niece and her husband have tested negative and are feeling much better. Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes.

My DS informed  me that the sharks have followed us back home.I had not watched the news and did not see that there were sightings at Jones Beach and the Rockaways.Maybe they came to sight see.....

Be careful in the heat today

Terry

• Like 32
  • Haha 2

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

It’s certainly going to be hot enough to celebrate ice cream sodas and hot dogs 😉 Love today’s quote and if he were still here, DH would be over the moon with today’s recipe.  Thanks Tina @0106for great recipes & descriptions 👍 Today’s wine sounds scrumptious @cat shepard- Wish I could find it here 😔 

The skies certainly opened last night.  I literally jumped up with how loud and severe one thunder clap was.  Lightening played havoc causing a fire a short distance away & my generator had fun coming on and off.  My water collector couldn’t be moved - too much water in it (which I will put to good use later on with this heat).

ACD0DA14-5E41-46C1-ADF8-3079F00ABBE4.thumb.jpeg.7960627910f6245f5f185cd77c20d98d.jpeg

@smitty34877good news on your niece and her husband 👍 

It’s going to be another hot one today with a high humidex here and in many places in the world.  Don’t forget to stay hydrated everyone.  So important.

E7AA9543-BB72-4FBF-9E56-4308265C9E6C.jpeg.640903abb1248c95644ebbd6ee950ef7.jpeg

Remember I said it was a weird garden year?  Callas are still coming out (late) but the dahlias which started so slowly are about to bloom.  first one is out!

838DE3CC-BF7D-4C01-8C43-87BFB83941BA.thumb.jpeg.39c39c54aa6ee73e6831b270b7b4a243.jpeg

DH would be thrilled to see a bloom so early.  He so loved “his” dahlias.

64D05D41-DED1-46AF-9F34-061824ECD834.thumb.jpeg.bf701b617d2b499021ba7bf97d0cd014.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Wednesday everyone!

4B97B139-8E89-4C6B-85CA-0316A6B6638B.jpeg.8df99031c67d8e2c17b772246dd77785.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

Good morning everyone. I love the special days. The best hot dogs around here are at Costco. Parking there is impossible. I love reading a good book. I’ve belonged to several book clubs in the different places I’ve lived . When DH was in the Navy and we had a 2 year old, I was responsible for a permanent book mobile stop every week.

Its crazy hot here too. Last night I went to our club house at 7pm and I could  hardly breathe just walking from the car. It’s going to be 97 today so I’ll stay in and do some home chores.

Stay safe everyone and remember to stay hydrated.

Carol

• Like 28

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

It’s certainly going to be hot enough to celebrate ice cream sodas and hot dogs 😉 Love today’s quote and if he were still here, DH would be over the moon with today’s recipe.  Thanks Tina @0106for great recipes & descriptions 👍 Today’s wine sounds scrumptious @cat shepard- Wish I could find it here 😔 

The skies certainly opened last night.  I literally jumped up with how loud and severe one thunder clap was.  Lightening played havoc causing a fire a short distance away & my generator had fun coming on and off.  My water collector couldn’t be moved - too much water in it (which I will put to good use later on with this heat).

ACD0DA14-5E41-46C1-ADF8-3079F00ABBE4.thumb.jpeg.7960627910f6245f5f185cd77c20d98d.jpeg

@smitty34877good news on your niece and her husband 👍 

It’s going to be another hot one today with a high humidex here and in many places in the world.  Don’t forget to stay hydrated everyone.  So important.

E7AA9543-BB72-4FBF-9E56-4308265C9E6C.jpeg.640903abb1248c95644ebbd6ee950ef7.jpeg

Remember I said it was a weird garden year?  Callas are still coming out (late) but the dahlias which started so slowly are about to bloom.  first one is out!

838DE3CC-BF7D-4C01-8C43-87BFB83941BA.thumb.jpeg.39c39c54aa6ee73e6831b270b7b4a243.jpeg

DH would be thrilled to see a bloom so early.  He so loved “his” dahlias.

64D05D41-DED1-46AF-9F34-061824ECD834.thumb.jpeg.bf701b617d2b499021ba7bf97d0cd014.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Wednesday everyone!

4B97B139-8E89-4C6B-85CA-0316A6B6638B.jpeg.8df99031c67d8e2c17b772246dd77785.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed

Jacqui, your garden looks beautiful as always. I’m sure it must make you smile.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I'll pass on all the meal and drink suggestions. An ice-cream soda would be nice today, if made with lactose-free ice cream.

It's going to be hot again, but I have to do outdoor work. The most urgent is on the street side of the house, but it gets morning sun, so I'll start in the back.

The daybed/futon question is resolved, by a measuring tape. It has to go on the short wall, and there isn't space for a futon. Even so, I'll need to replace the nightstands/end tables with narrower ones, but would probably replace them anyway because a daybed is higher than the current bed.

• Like 30