The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 30th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

.  Wish we could send some to Washington state!

Thank you Sandi!  Appreciate the offer, but here in Western WA we got so much rain this spring, I'm actually enjoying this respite. And once the rains start in the fall it will go on and on until next July. Eastern WA is another story, they could use some though.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Sandi!  Appreciate the offer, but here in Western WA we got so much rain this spring, I'm actually enjoying this respite. And once the rains start in the fall it will go on and on until next July. Eastern WA is another story, they could use some though.

Maybe Utah, although it really needs to be spread around in lower doses.

Roy

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

@AncientWanderer   Highly recommend the pousadas in Portugal,  here is one former castle and grounds we stayed in on the Algarve. 

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

0515BA36-FAB2-44D7-A553-3952531A38CA.jpeg

8CE0D475-92F8-478C-931F-D68EF593A036.jpeg

22338771-A5A4-4470-8DEA-5B8C7D7827C4.jpeg

73C62057-542F-4211-8644-EBF34218098E.jpeg

8EF39829-453A-4D58-BF66-542136FA3016.jpeg

C9E29470-2601-4D21-AFAF-755F1F962A70.jpeg

20313386-30C8-455F-88AD-640617A6BCDC.jpeg

570D9C43-1F47-4548-9B16-5E60AC9E34FA.jpeg

Right?  The monastery we stayed in was like that, too -- beautifully maintained.  

I don't know of any other countries that do that, but it makes perfect sense for preservation of historic buildings.   We've never encountered so many unusual lodgings as in Portugal.  I'd really like to go back.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  I spent the afternoon going through photos, weeding duplicates and bad pictures, and finally finished the pictures from a 2018 cruise.  I still have a lot more to do.

I have enjoyed all the pictures of Porto.  Thank you @StLouisCruisers Sandi, @richwmn Rich, @Mtn2Sea Robert, and @bennybear Brenda.  

Spain also has preserved many old palaces, monasteries, etc. as hotels, and they are called Paradores.  When we toured Spain right after 9/11, the Paradores were the only hotels that were still fully booked.  We did stop and walk around the public areas in Toledo.

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Amazing photos as always Lenda.

Graham.

Thank you, Graham.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Insurance fraud.

Seaton Carew near Hartlepool is about 25 miles from our home.

Screenshot_20220730_171823.jpg

Screenshot_20220730_171846.jpg

Graham, thanks for giving us "the rest of the story", as one of our well know, late news persons would say.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No FIL here. Friendships are so important. I am a cheesecake fan.

Don't agree with the quote; even though there are great moments, staying in one would forego future ones.

I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

I've been to Portugal, but not Porto. Thanks for the photos @StLouisCruisers @richwmn @Mtn2Sea @Quartzsite Cruiser 

It's nicely cooler here today. I'm waiting for the roofer to come; I'll have him look from the inside at the  damage to get an idea of the problem location. My house is 3 stories, so I don't know if he'll have ladders tall enough to get up on the outside today. The knee is feeling pretty good after the steroid shot.

@grapau27 Nice photo of you with your FIL and Sarah. Fascinating story about the Darwin house. Nice lunch.

@kazu Good luck getting Shadow into the kennel!

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you're feeling better today. Like you, I try to take ibuprofen rarely; it helps, but with other meds, I worry about my stomach. Hard to get that much money fundraising in these times.

@StLouisCruisers Great pictures. I was wondering if maybe you have a baker's cyst behind the knee? An ultrasound could rule that out.

@smitty34877 Oh no on everyone testing positive! I hope your cases are mild, and that the Paxlovid helps. I hear stories of an awful taste in the mouth with it, but I suppose a small price to pay.

@marshhawk Good job on keeping the blood sugar lower with the meal change.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Try to stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, I'm glad you knee is feeling better today.  I hope the roofer can fix the leak easily.

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Today we took the ferry from Oban to The Island of Mull. Even drizzle and cloudiness could not suppress the beauty.  
We are spending the night at Western Isles Hotel which overlooks the harbor.

Beautiful, beautiful day with everlasting memories.

Tomorrow we are taking ferry to Ardnamurchan Peninsula.

image.thumb.jpeg.8aaabeac3ea0070bbf14c3677448a8b2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.617bdd3751ab4f23206bef237d810f72.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1695e9d7bfb0edc04f83d2dd2b2ed6ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f053f097da936f41fcec78564755f77.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fe371b9a48c3bfca634c735c6c3a0b67.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e8e35608a09adc2c4b5bd4a04e574c38.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7913237625ba7f430530d15c2658deff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.75500c59aa95dab1a70e2296a4328623.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7388a2c43f15de1633a1c23aa2a5bb52.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1a2da5cded0a96ed695b1aa1ecfe8b07.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8b91130159023d4198227303d5fbc8c2.jpeg

Bruce, I'm enjoying tagging along on your tour to an area of Scotland we have not seen yet.  Thank for the pictures.

2 hours ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Morning Everyone!

We love cheesecake here, but I save it for special occasions as we don't need all the calories!  When I was 15 I saw a recipe for it in the "Dear Abby" column of the newspaper and surprised the family with one, since they I have collected many different recipes for them and added my own special twists!  My coworkers suggested if I was tired of being a nurse I could open a bakery of cheesecakes!  Told them then it would be "work" not a fun treat to make!

Thank you Roy @rafinmd for include my Dad in the care list. My son called today and he has tested positive for Covid, so far just mild sore throat.  His wife and the Grands are negative.  The hard thing is he has a big work conference that he is the head of for his company, so now he is scrambling to get others to cover and to do much of it remotely.  Told him to make sure he rests, work will be there!

I told Hubby I will need a cruise after this next week, going to be a "Camp Nurse" this week and temperatures will be ugly (it was 111 F here yesterday and even though camp is in the foothills they have been hitting 100!) I think I have plenty of sunscreen and have my sunhats ready!

Everyone take care and have a wonderful week, I'll check in when I get back from camp! (will be "unplugged" while there)

Denise

Denise, try to stay cool at camp this week.

57 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@bennybear I loved your photo graph of the optical illusion flooring

@aliaschiefyour pictures are making me feel like I'm right behind you on your travels.  I am truly enjoying your adventures.

@Cruzin Terri and I think my bosses get me confused with actually being a fund raiser too.  LOL

@StLouisCruisers We are now hearing the thunder, and i am hoping that it does storm, but with out loss of power.  Last night's storm (which my friend Debbie tells me was at 1 a.m. in midtown) was a real BANGER, but the rain put me right back to sleep, and I am loving this rain.

I read weird news, and yes it's googly news, but if you look between the lines you will notice something.

The something really is about Covid.  You can get it more than once, mainly because while your body may not change, the virus does.  We just keep calling it Covid.  The other thing I keep reading (mind you it seems to be in small print if you know what I mean) is that the drug that you give you relieves the symptoms. but people who are taking it , are getting Covid again immediately after they stop taking  it.  (Fauci, Biden).  I have to assume that every one around me is carrying Covid, and I do continue to wear a mask,  when I go any where.  That said, I was doing a sales call the other day, the gentle man said he was very wary.  He wears a mask all the time, he's had his vaccines and he cares for his elderly 86 year old mother.  Within a week, he got covid.  His mother got covid, and his "honey" got covid.  This "bug" has not gone away, it's constantly mutating, and we have already realized that even our most cautious life style isn't a deterrent.  I think that's why so many, including the news reporting have just thrown in the towel.  I think we all need to be warriors!!

Ann, I've read some of the same stories.  We are being careful, but so far, 🤞 there are not many cases of the new variant in our area.  We'll be doubly careful if and when we go to Dallas for DH's appointment.

54 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sandi, we could use some of the rain in Texas.  There are quite a few wildfires all around the state.  Also, I hope Ren starts feeling better soon.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Greetings on this sunny  but cool Sunday.  Some snow inland, further up the island.

Thanks for all  the photos of Porto.  During one of our visits to the UK,  we stayed at a hotel in Lockerbie where I enjoyed a slice of a delicious Ginger Cheesecake. Sometimes I now make a Ginger Cheesecake, remembering Lockerbie, and our visit to the memorial.

@Mtn2Sea Bon Voyage.

@smitty34877 so sorry that you all have covid, hope you all quickly recover. 

@aliaschief again, thanks for your Scotland photos. 

@StLouisCruisers hope that you soon discover the cause of your leg pain,  DH suggested Bakers Cyst, but I see that has been ruled out.

After being closed for so long, our borders reopen tonight, including for cruise ships.

Stay  safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

I know this is Holland, but I wanted to share, that I got an email from Carnival that cruises 5 days or less no longer require pre boarding Covid tests.  You do need to be vaccinated to the most required vaccine/booster, but no covid tests.

Too bad, I have 4 booked cruises, not one less than 10 days long....Oh well......Now I have to do a Covid test.  Maybe the rules will change again by September 1st.

th?id=OIP.tZeZyZGagWJbzuS5uqiS4gHaG4&pid=Api&P=0

• Like 12

Our last day on Maui started out great. Then we got to Kahalui and there's a nasty fire. We hear an old sugar cane field caught fire. Lots of smoke and ash, and it's very windy. No place for us to go inside here yet at the airport and the security lines are long, long, long.. Just checked flight aware and it shows our flight is on time. So far. Should be home tomorrow afternoon in Austin. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Our last day on Maui started out great. Then we got to Kahalui and there's a nasty fire. We hear an old sugar cane field caught fire. Lots of smoke and ash, and it's very windy. No place for us to go inside here yet at the airport and the security lines are long, long, long.. Just checked flight aware and it shows our flight is on time. So far. Should be home tomorrow afternoon in Austin. 

Safe travels back to hot Austin.

Lenda

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sorry to hear about the fire.

I hope you get home safely and on time.

It is morning here.

07.57am it is 59°F and raining.

Graham.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, erewhon said:

Greetings on this sunny  but cool Sunday.  Some snow inland, further up the island.

Thanks for all  the photos of Porto.  During one of our visits to the UK,  we stayed at a hotel in Lockerbie where I enjoyed a slice of a delicious Ginger Cheesecake. Sometimes I now make a Ginger Cheesecake, remembering Lockerbie, and our visit to the memorial.

@Mtn2Sea Bon Voyage.

@StLouisCruisers hope that you soon discover the cause of your leg pain,  DH suggested Bakers Cyst, but I see that has been ruled out.

After being closed for so long, our borders reopen tonight, including for cruise ships.

I used to have sales calls in Lockerbie when I sold records in the 1980s.

It was a very sad day on December 21st 1988 when the air disaster hit the lovely town.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, erewhon said:

@Mtn2Sea Bon Voyage.

I am humbled that you and DH are discussing my leg pain all the way over in New Zealand!  When I get back in to the doctor's office for a follow up I will ask about the Baker's Cyst again.  We really do have angels here on the Daily.😇

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy, I hope you and Allen are on your way to Austin now and that the fire and smoke didn't delay your flight.  Or maintenance issues, or flight crew proplems or any of the other many reasons the airlines indicate are the problem with delayed and cancelled flights these days.  Take care and safe travels!❤️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1