GHIC card

Yorkypete

Many thanks to Megabear and all other who mentioned the need to have the GHIC card. We have just received ours (Takes about 3/4 weeks to receive it). Until Megabear posted the  info on here we had never heard of this card replacing the old European one as no-one officially told us. It is a vital necessity so once more thank you.

Edited by Yorkypete
  • Like 7

39 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Many thanks to Megabear and all other who mentioned the need to have the GHIC card. We have just received ours (Takes about 3/4 weeks to receive it). Until Megabear posted the  info on here we had never heard of this card replacing the old European one as no-one officially told us. It is a vital necessity so once more thank you.

Got ours yesterday. As our next break is Isle of Wight...sorted. Thanks to megabear for reminding us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Got ours yesterday. As our next break is Isle of Wight...sorted. Thanks to megabear for reminding us.

Thanks to those who reminded us about it. Ours arrived a few days ago. Hopefully we will never need to use it but at least we are reassured that if anything untoward happens we have some immediate protection in addition to insurance.

• Like 1

My EHIC was due to expire last September and fortunately a friend reminded me about the GHIC so I applied shortly before the EHIC expired. I think the team behind P&O's current livery must have designed the GHIC too...😀

10 minutes ago, Britboys said:

My EHIC was due to expire last September and fortunately a friend reminded me about the GHIC so I applied shortly before the EHIC expired. I think the team behind P&O's current livery must have designed the GHIC too...😀

Oh no! Please don't link this card in any way with P&O. Just imagine being carted off the ship into an ambulance, you flash the card, "sorry Mr. Fountain, we've had to cancel your trip to Marseille Royal Infirmary, we are going to Toulon Geriatric Unit, due to operational reasons".

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Thanks to those who reminded us about it. Ours arrived a few days ago. Hopefully we will never need to use it but at least we are reassured that if anything untoward happens we have some immediate protection in addition to insurance.

Glad to have helped. Your insurer will expect you to have one otherwise your insurance is liable to withhold payment. E

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ranchi said:

Am I correct in thinking that your old EHIC card is valid in Europe until it’s expiry date and then it should be replaced by the new GHIC?

Apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

The UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) lets you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

If you have a UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it will be valid until the expiry date on the card. Once it expires, you’ll need to apply for a GHIC to replace it.

GHIC and EHIC do not replace travel insurance.

• Like 1

Just checked my EHIC card - expired last month - so thanks for the reminder. 

If you need medical treatment abroad and you don't have the GHIC card with you or have not yet received it,  the NHS will apparently provide a TRC (temporary replacement certificate). You can't apply for it in advance ( I guess you apply at the time of treatment and they send it by email). At least you're covered. Details on NHS site.   

59 minutes ago, Strongbox said:

Just checked my EHIC card - expired last month - so thanks for the reminder. 

If you need medical treatment abroad and you don't have the GHIC card with you or have not yet received it,  the NHS will apparently provide a TRC (temporary replacement certificate). You can't apply for it in advance ( I guess you apply at the time of treatment and they send it by email). At least you're covered. Details on NHS site.   

Yes, it takes 2 weeks and you have to pay the bill until it comes. Here is the voice of experience....

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

So are we all supposed to apply for this then? Or is it for certain ages/illnesses etc

It’s available to all regardless of age or health status, note this as well as travel insurance not instead of.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

So are we all supposed to apply for this then? Or is it for certain ages/illnesses etc

Yes. One for each family member. Your travel insurer will expect you to have it in the event of medical care. It's not valid in Norway or Switzerland but talks are ongoing, just got lost in the Brexit paperwork. If you get ill in Europe it pays emergency care only. Your insurer picks up the rest.

In your insurance policy it will state you must have it.

• Like 1

I fell and broke my arm in Lanzarote (not ashore from a cruise!) last September.  Hospital  in Aricfe asked for my EHIC,which, fortunately,  l had with me. Treatment was free.

Went to the pharmacy next day fir the prescribed  painkillers etc. Again  asked for the EHIC. Got packet  after packet of Tramadol on the Hospital doctors prescription for a ridiculous €8.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, JB9302 said:

Applied for our cards just over 4 weeks ago , got the confirmation immediately but as yet nothing in the post .

Anyone still waiting for theirs ?

Yes. About same time as you. Ironically my wife got hers last week, no sign of mine, even though they were on the same application.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:43 PM, terrierjohn said:

Everyone should have them if they intend to holuday in Europe. Not sure if children need them though.

Very useful, I have used mine 3 times whilst on holiday, a fall which meant stitches in wound, a sting from a horsefly which became infected and a nasty gastric virus I caught in Greece. Of courses EHIC or GHICis absolutely no use on a cruise ship. 

I just checked and my EHIC ran out on 12 July, so will renew at some point. 

Edited by Snow Hill