No more free wine in the steakhouse

AtSeaWithChris

On 8/13/2022 at 4:23 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

The steakhouse sommelier?  That's a crock that there's a legitimate sommelier onboard any Carnival ship, with staffing increasingly cut to the bone.

And you would be wrong.  They did used to have sommeliers, real ones I can assure you.  

On 8/13/2022 at 6:40 PM, twentypearls said:

Just got off Mardi Gras today and we received the free bottle in Rudi’s the first night and was told it was also available in the steakhouse 

Same here... we got the free bottle at the steakhouse on the 2nd night.

1 hour ago, sad549s said:

Can you purchase multiple bottles of 1/2 price wine in the steakhouse on the first night?

33 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yes, it's pretty much what you can consume, they will open them and won't sell you sealed bottles. 

On the Splendor last month, they only allowed us to purchase one 1/2 price bottle each.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Schoifmom said:

On the Splendor last month, they only allowed us to purchase one 1/2 price bottle each.

Some have reported that also, I guess it's ship to ship or staff to staff really. One each is still not bad, though it is nice to get a third, drink a sip and then and take the rest back to the cabin. 😁

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Some have reported that also, I guess it's ship to ship or staff to staff really. One each is still not bad, though it is nice to get a third, drink a sip and then and take the rest back to the cabin. 😁

I agree.  We don't drink a lot anyway, so one bottle lasts us for two dinners, so we weren't terribly disappointed (well, maybe a little 🙂).

I asked John Heald on his FB page and he said they are still doing it…take that for what you will.  I will copy and paste below. 1 person also commented that they got the free bottle last night.  

Hi John,

Is the free bottle of wine still offered on the first night in the steakhouse?  Or can you get 50% off other bottles of wine?

Hello, yes indeed you can have both. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do and I hope we see you very soon. Cheers Katie

• Like 1

Whew - I just saw this thread and was concerned for our 4 Steakhouse nights on the Sunrise coming up. We REALLY REALLY like the 50% off (Dom, night 1... Caymus Special night 2/elegant). It's hit/miss with regard to which Steakhouse managers will allow you to purchase additional bottles on night 1 or 2 for consumption there on subsequent nights.

Side note: We were just on the Independence this last weekend. We tried Chops/Izumi/Giovanni's. The wine list in both Chops and Giovanni's offered some options: Opus One, Opus One Overture, Caymus Special, Caymus... well, I discovered that they were out of every one. Ended up with a more generic bottle, and there was no such benefit as "50% off", not even close... 😞  BTW, we prefer the food on Carnival (Steakhouse) much more! 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor

Noticed the title to this thread and at first glance I though Carnival was finally admitting that Rot Gut free stuff they served was not really wine 😁

Have no fear, the fictitious A----- posted a link, possibly this one, to John Heald's FB page. Heald of course did not share the link, but assured everyone that the free wine on 1st night in the steakhouse is NOT being discontinued........

Great news. I am not a wine connoisseur so a bottle of "House Red" is just fine with me. For those that are, the 50% off option is great as well. I can live with all of the other cutbacks. Not really a big deal IMHO except for the replacement of filet mignon with the sinew/gristle steak for Brunch.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

No bottle of wine of any vintage or price could make that nasty piece of meat go down. 

All the hate for the strip lion has now made it legendary lol. It's at the top of my list to try on the next cruise. I used to really like the flat iron, I had some really tasty ones on past cruises. It'll be interesting to compare and see if it's as bad as everyone says. 

3 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I am not a big wine connoisseur. Is it a good wine that they were giving folks?

No, two-buck chuck pretty much or any sub $5 wine from any store in Cali, 

well, besides grocery outlet, they can have some amazing deals for less than $5 sometimes. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1