The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 18th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Bad Poetry Day, Serendipity Day, and Helium Discovery Day

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.--Mahatma Gandhi

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Barbacoa
Drink of the Day - Pina Colada
wine of the Day - Julien Schaal 2020 Granite Brand Grand Cru Rieslin
Destination of the Day - Noumea, New Caledonia

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan Alaska US 11:00 AM To 7:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Nanortalik, Greenland eta 08/19

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Korcula Island, Korcula, Croatia eta 08/19

Rotterdam

Geiranger, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 08/19

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 08/19

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0818Alaska.thumb.png.c3ce1ee129f26577b167a166aafba1c0.png

0818Atlantic.thumb.png.19ee76696b48e1bef77bb9d39029a19d.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

15 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Today is Bad Poetry Day, Serendipity Day, and Helium Discovery Day

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.--Mahatma Gandhi

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Barbacoa
Drink of the Day - Pina Colada
wine of the Day - Julien Schaal 2020 Granite Brand Grand Cru Rieslin
Destination of the Day - Noumea, New Caledonia

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan Alaska US 11:00 AM To 7:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Nanortalik, Greenland eta 08/19

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Korcula Island, Korcula, Croatia eta 08/19

Rotterdam

Geiranger, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 08/19

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 08/19

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0818Alaska.thumb.png.c3ce1ee129f26577b167a166aafba1c0.png

0818Atlantic.thumb.png.19ee76696b48e1bef77bb9d39029a19d.png

Good morning from a dry, cloudy 62°F North East coast of England.

Thank you Rich for supplying today's daily and fleet reports.

My late dad wrote a lot of poetry and Pauline reads some of his poems regularly.

Excellent quote and imo truth and love should always win.

Nice food and drink.

We both enjoy a Pina Colada when sailing.

Wishing everyone good health and happiness.

Cheers.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220818_114229.jpg

Screenshot_20220818_114141.jpg

Screenshot_20220818_115122.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  3 great days; I'm guessing @RedneckBob may be the first poetry contributor for us to enjoy.  Looks like I've been to Noumea just once on the 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  Love the Ghandi quote.  The meal sounds nice but not like something I would make.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup and Oven Roasted Chicken as served on MS Statendam August 18, 2014.  Podiatrist later this morning.

Today’s care list:

Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
Cruisin Terri’s neighbor on hospice for uterine cancer
Devastating news on Shadow

Joy’s friend Debbie suddenly losing her brother
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff breast tumor surgery
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Atrex6 Father severely declining

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Heartgrove meeting his grand daughter
ger_77's prescious “almost daughter”
New fur baby for Crazy for cats sister
ottahand7 successful self care
Tana starting t feel herself
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Good morning to all,

Thank you for the Fleet Report and the Daily.

I like poetry, but prefer good poems rather than bad, serendipity sounds good and a helium filled balloon is always nice,

I like the quote and the truth needs to win out.

Not sure about the meal, but always enjoy Riesling wine.

A Pina Colada is always welcome

Have not been to the port.

Posting early as we have an appointment to get our fourth vaccinations (second booster) this morning. 

Praying for all on the cares list and happy for those who are celebrating and cruising.

Have a great day and as always,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  3 great days; I'm guessing @RedneckBob may be the first poetry contributor for us to enjoy.  Looks like I've been to Noumea just once on the 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  Love the Ghandi quote.  The meal sounds nice but not like something I would make.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup and Oven Roasted Chicken as served on MS Statendam August 18, 2014.  Podiatrist later this morning.

Today’s care list:

Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
Cruisin Terri’s neighbor on hospice for uterine cancer
Devastating news on Shadow

Joy’s friend Debbie suddenly losing her brother
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff breast tumor surgery
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Atrex6 Father severely declining

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Heartgrove meeting his grand daughter
ger_77's prescious “almost daughter”
New fur baby for Crazy for cats sister
ottahand7 successful self care
Tana starting t feel herself
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for keeping all of the lists updated Roy.

I hope everything goes well at your podiatrist appointment later today.

Graham.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all,

Thank you for the Fleet Report and the Daily.

I like poetry, but prefer good poems rather than bad, serendipity sounds good and a helium filled balloon is always nice,

I like the quote and the truth needs to win out.

Not sure about the meal, but always enjoy Riesling wine.

A Pina Colada is always welcome

Have not been to the port.

Posting early as we have an appointment to get our fourth vaccinations (second booster) this morning. 

Praying for all on the cares list and happy for those who are celebrating and cruising.

Have a great day and as always,

God Bless,

Terri

Good luck with your second booster jabs this morning Terri.

It is important to get them and hopefully neither of you have any side effects.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Bad poetry day?  I hope there aren't any Vogons nearby.  😁

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink (and the song) but hope the wine is tasty.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Haha 1

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Another great quote from Ghandi.

Some strange days.

Not sure what the meal is but Pina Coladas are pretty good.

Didn't McHale's Navy take place in New Caledonia? Funny show but never been there.

Thanks for the Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Pina Colada cocktail:

As the story goes, the Piña Colada debuted in 1952, when it was first mixed by Ramon Marrero Perez, the head barman at the Caribe Hilton in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. Perez had blended up a winner, and the tropical drink enjoyed its place in the sun for decades, finding its way to American shores and faraway isles. However, the quality took a nose dive around the 1970s when barkeeps began making Piña Coladas with cheap, bottled mixers and serving them in comically large glasses.

Fortunately, the drink has enjoyed a renaissance in recent years, as craft-focused bartenders reclaimed the original recipe, once again focusing on solid ingredients and proper proportions. Some also opted to sub shaker tins for the traditional blender, creating a lighter, less-icy cocktail.

Ingredients
2 ounces light rum
1 1/2 ounces cream of coconut
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
Garnish: pineapple wedge
Garnish: pineapple leaf

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 7.27.48 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning. Our afternoon T-storms returned yesterday, although the worst was North of me. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning everyone! Heading off to an early Tai Chi class. Then a long awaited mani-pedi!  Today is the day I will actually create a timeline of when we have to do each test, complete each form and finalize each app for our trip. I am hoping things do not change too much before then. 🤞🏻

I love this one…

7421CFB2-662E-485D-B481-029DC98944BC.jpeg.767d302d77bacd01c7ffa96a34b963d1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Julien Schaal 2020 Granite Brand Grand Cru Riesling

This Riesling sounds lovely, though it is very elusive and a bit pricey. I found a couple online distributors with prices starting at $45.00.

94 Wine Enthusiast 

Distributor notes

Julien Schaal Riesling Grand Cru ‘Les Arènes Granitiques’ Sommerberg has a lovely, intense minerally nose with complex lime fruit, a touch of honey and some spice. Rich but bone dry palate with lovely mineral extract and intensity. Quite tight with good acid structure; good potential for development. Aging potential of 8-10 years.  Riesling Grand Cru ‘Les Arènes Granitiques’ Sommerberg will go well wit sea fish in lemon sauce, scallops brochettes or grilled king prawns.

Sommerberg is reputed one the greatest grand Cru vineyards of Alsace, documented as having produced some of the region’s finest wines since the year 1214. From old vines on the steepest part of the Grand Cru. The granite soils give the wine an intense lime flavour and a touch of honey. Bone dry, the balanced acids give complexity and length. Dominantly granitic with black and white micas,. This soil, is rich in mineral elements, and ideal for vine growing. From a 45 years old vineyard, the Sommerberg is situated on a very steep slope (45°), face due south, and exceed 400 metres of elevation. Viticulture was first recorded at Niedermorschwihr in 1214, and the name of Sommerberg was jealously reserved for this particular vineyard from 17th century onwards.

Alsace wine region has a unique combination of great soils types that forms a real  ‘kaleidoscope” of geologies. Pink sandstone, blue schist, limestone, granite, gypsum and volcanic rocks are amongst the most interesting soil. You can find all of them on grand cru vineyards. They believe that Riesling is maybe the best variety to translate those characters into wines. In 2011, Olivier Biecher and Julien Schaal have launched the winery exclusively dedicated to Alsace Grands Crus wines. From Andlau to Thann, they found numbers of interesting vineyards that all have strong individual character. Today Julien and Sophie are trying their best  to get the full potential of the vineyards into the wine style they love!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

You are correct about Bad Poultry Day. My chickens were in a bad mood this morning. They heard that a rep from Chic-fil-a came by the house yesterday 😀.

Oh no, I got it wrong, it’s bad poetry day. 
Roses are red

Violets are blue 

Sugar is sweet

Do you like peanut butter 🤓

• Like 6
  • Haha 19

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday turned out to be quite a busy day.  After lunch I emptied out the garage, swept it out, and hosed it down.  When it had dried out I put everything away.  A bunch of things were taken to the curb.  Starting the weeding out process.  Nothing big like that planned for today.

Barbacoa is a popular dish found at many Mexican restaurants in the United States and even features in many national chain restaurants, like Chipotle. Many times in the US, barbacoa simply gets labeled as braised beef. However, there is so much more to barbacoa than that. It has a long history in Mexico and its origins are somewhat shrouded in mystery, with many historians believing that the dish actually originated in the Caribbean. Nevertheless, Mexican cooks have created a unique cooking style over nearly 500 years that has made barbacoa one of Mexico’s most beloved dishes. Our comprehensive barbacoa guide fills you in on all the details, including how it’s made and how you can make it at home. You’ll also learn about barbacoa seasonings and what to serve with barbacoa, as well as get some of our best recipes for this mouthwatering Mexican favorite.

This first barbacoa recipe can be made in so many variations. Add it to your favorite taco, burrito or even salad! If you love Mexican food, enjoy a refreshing Horchata Drink and Seven Layer Dip with chips to make this a complete meal.https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-barbacoa-beef/

1543897819_barbacoa1.thumb.jpg.336537b16074486ccfd43279212753e5.jpg

Next up we have a recipe from Taste of Home served over rice.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooker-barbacoa/

1894040738_barbacoa2.thumb.jpg.9a4b828e450617b589cbc966aad53049.jpg

This homemade beef barbacoa recipe is easy to make in the slow cooker, and it’s SO flavorful and delicious! Perfect for burritos, tacos, salads, quesadillas and more.   https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/barbacoa-recipe/

1620236927_barbacoa3.thumb.jpg.481b0a36e1578578a9b0ab053759891c.jpg

This last one has slightly different seasonings, but the process is the same for a delightful outcome. https://downshiftology.com/recipes/barbacoa/

1918391900_barbacoa4.jpg.640961708b6ae7bf12e20c8d471328bb.jpg

Enjoy your barbacoa!  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Now for the real post.

It’s week three for me and time to entertain all of thee.

This weeks cruise story I call,

When the Ship is Rockin, Don’t Come Knockin

This story begins on the Koningsdam, 11/13/16. I told this story in another thread a couple of times so if you remember it pretend you had not heard it before and give me a thumbs up. Thumbs up reminds me of something that just happened. Me and the Misses went to a new restaurants in our area last weekend called Seasons52. I was very excited. We got there around 5 pm, went to our sit and this nice lady server handed us a menu. Boy was I surprised as I saw my favorite dish on the menu, Shrimp and Grits! But listed on the dish were these three spices that I never heard of. So I pulled out my phone and looked up the spices. One was mild, one was called solar flare and the other spice was called flame thrower. When the lady server came to take our order I asked her do you bring a fire extinguisher with this dish 😀. I asked if they could keep the spices off the grits and she said they would try. Well, I got the dish, it was great, so when the lady server came back to the table, she asked me how it was. I lifted by hands off the table, pointed my two thumbs skyward and said,  “I rate this dish Two Tums Up!”. Well, the lady server could not stop laughing. Every time she came back to the table she would laugh. I think if the Misses was not with me the lady server would take me home with her. My, did I get off the story I was telling.

Back to the Koningsdam. We boarded the ship and headed to the cabin. When we got there it was one of those double wide Verandahs. But after a few minutes I noticed one thing missing; the Do not Disturb sign or Privacy Please sign on the door. So I went to Guess Relations and the person told me they were all out of the sign. Well, we need our privacy at night. So while touring the ship I found the perfect thing to substitute for the Do No Disturb sign which I put outside our cabin door late the first night.  The sign was originally located next to the Lincoln Center. Hear is the sign

6EFA7609-14A4-41D9-9DA2-69189CF9B900.thumb.jpeg.135542efecf5a5843767f10da870098d.jpeg

No explanation required.

But there is, as Paul Harvey would say, stay tune for the rest of the story.

The sign worked. No one disturbed us. But between 10 pm and 1 am in the morning   I could hear laughter outside our cabin. So the next day the sign was removed. And now you know the rest of the story. RNB out!

• Like 6
  • Haha 25

Good morning from central Texas.  For once the predicted rain along with thunder and lightning made an appearance last night.  I'm not sure how much rain we received, but it was more than 1/4 inch when I went to bed with a sready rain still falling.  I just hope the forecast for more rain through next Wednesday is correct.

If i wrote poetry, it would be bad poetry.  Serendipity day is interesting.  I'll celebrate helium discovery day.  There is a helium plant north of Amarillo with historical significance.  At one time it produced most of the world's helium, and is still in production.

The Mahatma Gandhi qoute is good and is still appropriate.  

We'll pass on the meal and the drinkl  The wine sounds nice but pricey, so I'll stick with my much less expensive Riesling.

We have not been to Noumea, New Caledonia.

@Cruzin Terri  Good luck with your boosters today.

@1ANGELCAT  Sending good wishes forma successful surgery and amquick recivery for Fluff.

Now, it's time to start cleaning the house and get that chore out of the way.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It was 69F here early, but will rise to 80 with thunderstorms most likely this afternoon.  Seems like DS and family are enroute from Seoul to Singapore at the moment and should arrive in about 3 hours.  Prayers were said this morning for their safe arrival, and all those on Roy's @rafinmd Care list. 🙏 More prayers for Ukraine and Taiwan.  Cheers for happy events on our Celebration list.🥂   I hope those with Covid or having family members with Covid, will have a quick recovery.  Good thoughts going out to Jacqui @kazu, and I really hope that Shadow was found and is being kept safe inside or in a fenced in property until a decision is made about her.  🐕  Good luck Jacqui with your grief counseling.❤️ 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  An odd assortment of days to honor, bad poetry, serendipity, and the discovery of helium.  I think the Gandhi quote is quite encouraging.  The Barbacoa sounds pretty good though I would prefer Roy's selection for dinner.  I love pina coladas and sometimes order one on a ship.  Interesting that it was first made at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan in 1952.  We stayed overnight there once before embarking on a cruise with DD.  All I remember is it was so humid in the room, even with AC on, that our passports were starting to curl their pages.  We had to sit something heavy on them to prevent it.  I really hate humidity!!

Our port of the day, Noumea, was first listed here on Aug. 16, 2021 and is located on page 38 on Rich's activity list.  Here is the link in case you want to retrieve your photos.  We have not been to Noumea before.

Last night we saw 2 adult deer and one fawn behind our house on the slope.  Actually the fawn was lying on the ground at the bottom and the adults were munching on grass and wildflowers on the slope itself.  We saw 2 golf carts stop to take photos of them.  We really haven't seen many deer this year.  But I don't stand at the window looking out for them all day and night either so they may be there and I just don't know it!

DH went to bed early and I stayed up until my usual time (10 or 10:30).  Just as I was getting off the sofa to head to bed I heard a smoke detector chirp.  Oh, no!  Why, oh why do they only decide they need a new battery at night???  Never at the sane hour of 10 am or 2 pm.  Not wanting to wake DH who  always gets the ladder and changes them for us, I struggled to lift the "antique" wooden 6 foot stepladder (circa 1973) off the hangers it was situated on in the garage.  Stood underneath all the smoke detectors until I could figure out which one was chirping every 45 seconds, and then figured out how to open the battery compartment door, and insert the new battery.  However, it still chirped several times after that so I was standing there trying to figure out if I'd done something wrong when DH got out of bed to investigate why the security system panel light was green instead of red.  I had to turn off the system to get into the garage, that's why.  About that time the chirping smoke alarm stopped chirping!  Yay!  I did it myself!  DH decided to replace all the rest of the batteries in the house's smoke detectors today and just completed that job.  Hope these batteries last a long time!  We should investigate purchasing all new detectors because they are 10 years old.  I heard that's the recommendation.  So does anyone else agree with me that smoke detectors only start chirping at night?  Our motion detector battery and security system battery both went out recently in the middle of the night, too.  Never fails!

Hope your batteries are all good for a while, and you have a nice day!

• Like 30
  • Haha 1

Good morning  Dailyites! I will celebrate the days and love the quote.The recipes look great but the older family members are not tolerating spices these days. We have not been to the port.

@Seasick Sailor,Joy. I am sorry to hear about your friend  Debbie 's brother.My condolences and prayers.

@kazu,Jacqui, I was distressed to hear about your injuries and poor Shadow's  situation. I hope she was found and that the wrist is less painful today.

We are lurching along here and noticed yesterday  that although we are all eating, general enthusiasm  for food is markedly less.Believe me, this group can eat! Right now, eating is something  one has to do instead if something  to look forward to.I am sure it will get better in time.My DB said it took several weeks before he really felt like eating after his bout with covid.

• Like 27

3 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  Dailyites! I will celebrate the days and love the quote.The recipes look great but the older family members are not tolerating spices these days. We have not been to the port.

@Seasick Sailor,Joy. I am sorry to hear about your friend  Debbie 's brother.My condolences and prayers.

@kazu,Jacqui, I was distressed to hear about your injuries and poor Shadow's  situation. I hope she was found and that the wrist is less painful today.

We are lurching along here and noticed yesterday  that although we are all eating, general enthusiasm  for food is markedly less.Believe me, this group can eat! Right now, eating is something  one has to do instead if something  to look forward to.I am sure it will get better in time.My DB said it took several weeks before he really felt like eating after his bout with covid.

Terry,

That seems to be a result of Covid.  I am still struggling with eating. I just do not have a good appetite anymore.  I always enjoyed my food,  Now I eat because I have to.

The thing is, I really have not lost a lot of weight.

I guess it takes a while.

Terri

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for all the photos of Punta Arenas yesterday.  It looks like a port where a walking tour for the dock is in order.  A lot of charm in that town.  A day of gardening again rain due in the afternoon, we got none yesterday so I got a lot done.  Yesterday I stored all the pots by my potting bench.  I am done potting plants to bring downstate for my garden club's plant sale in May 2023.   My garden seems to allow every plant that reseeds comes up in the wrong place.  The foxgloves aren't so bad as they are done after 2 seasons.  The white garden phlox are taking over and are burying my hostas.  I dug out 2 in the last few days.  One fit in a large shrub pot, the one I dug yesterday I had to get out a planter because it wouldn't fit. I am grateful my sister said she will help me get them home when she comes back up next month.  We have a date set at the end of the month to get the pontoon pulled out of the lake and shrink wrapped on site.  Then we will pull on our dock ourselves.

Thank you for the Daily Reports!  All winners on the comestibles.  The wine review brought back happy memories of driving around Alsace and seeing all those famous vineyards. I think Sommerberg is near Riquevir where we stayed.  Prayers for all on our Care list and those needing them.  Jacqui I hope Shadow has been found.   Have a great day! 

• Like 28

Happy Thursday Dailyites!

I have a tale to tell about Serendipity.  To me it has always meant an odd coincidence with fantastic results.  A bit of a long tale, if not interested, just skep to the cat image.

When I was young we would spend a week on on Cape Cod and always get together with a family that were friends of my parents.  The women had met in college, and the men had met in another college.  My parents set them up on a blind date, and they fell in love.  They got married, and they had 4 sons. They were attendants in my parents wedding, and my parents were attendants at their wedding.   So during summer vacation, we would spend time with them.  While our parents always dreamed of their younger son and I falling in love, and keeping the families together, it was the son who was my brothers age that I had a crush on.  His name was Andy, and he and i would swim, build sandcastles together, just hang out together,  It was cute they said, Raggedy Ann and Andy.  People grow up, we change, and after the younger brother died, Andy came down to NJ to see me.  It was more than 7 years from last seeing each other, and we no longer had any attraction to each other. I was stupid teenager, and he was in his early 20's.

Years go by.  My second husband was head mechanic at a ritzy golf course in Atlanta.  My parents are living in Florida, and their best friends were in Florida, and my dad was in the hospital, and not doing well.  Mom wasn't driving anymore, and basically emotionally she really needed to talk with someone.  But couldn't find anyone's phone number. (they had just moved again)

I always said hello to the hubby's boss, but he was a rather strange man, but i was the driver, so I would see him twice a day.  Ok.  Now when all this stuff was going on with my dad, I told my hubby about my last golf experience.  Miniature golf on the Cape, where my parents friends son told me that if i hit a hole in one on the last hole, I would win a free game.  So I hit the ball as hard as I could and....

and hubby says to me "the ball hit the man in the sales booth and knocked him out".

How did you know that ??  He said because my boss told me that story yesterday about some kid he knew that they spend their summers with on cape cod. .  But your boss is named Steve, oh, turns out his name is Andrew Stephen, but he changed  his name to Steve after college.

The next day when I left the hubby off at work, I walked into his bosses office and told him who I was.  He had no idea. Well I didn't know it was him either.  I asked him if he would ask his mom to call my mom, that my dad wasn't doing well, and she needed a friend.  He called his mom, and his parents went over to get my mom, and they took her over to the hospital so she could be with my father.

I went down to Florida the next week.  She asked me how I worked that miracle and I just said Serendipity.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.

da36effced83fab2895eca6e336c8c22.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5