The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 23rd, 2022

richwmn

Today is Ride the Wind Day, World Daffodil Day, and Hug Your Sweetheart Day

Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Meal Suggestion for today - herb crusted cauliflower steaks with beans and tom
Drink of the Day - Vanilla Cream Berry Tini
Wine of the Day - Firehouse Can Company NV Graham+Fisk's Wine in a C
Destination of the Day - Nuku’alofa, Tonga

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway Alaska US 7:00 AM To 8:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Saint Pierre and Miquelon Islands, France 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Korcula Island, Korcula, Croatia 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Oslo, Norway 08:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 08/24

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0823World.thumb.png.fe8cb42acadd892e08f40e58d425713f.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.

It is currently 11.50am sunny and 68°F.

Thank you Rich for the daily and fleet reports.

We often see hang gliders taking off from where we sit in the car overlooking Seaham beach.

We hug all the time.

The photo was a couple of weeks ago at Gretna outlet near Gretna Green.

Pauline likes daffodils.

Today's quote reminds me of the song Tears of a clown.

Prayers for better health for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20220813_121743.jpg

• Like 32

Thank you for the Tuesday Report, Rich, and Happy Birthday Ann.  A very nice group of days and I like the Longfellow quote.  I've been to Nuku'alofa twice, 2011 on Crystal Serenity and 2018 on Crystal Symphony.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Lebanese Lamb Shank and Baked Alaska as served on MS Veendam August 23, 2013.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer Sister in Law with metasticizing mole
ger_77 losing cruising friend Melanie
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
ger_77 and  DH with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Vict0riannSafety and a new loving home for Shadow
Volendam caring for refugees
ger_77 starting to feel like herself
New owner for Maasdam
Norseh20 helping DM find assisted living
6 days for Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS 8/29 to 9/5)
5 days for Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 15

The (former) Maasdam has been tied up right side to side with the Veendam for about 18 months without moving.  Yesterday, Veendam pulled away from that position  long enough to allow Maasdam to move to another dock less than a mile away with Veendam pulling back into Maasdam's former position.  No official change in registration yet but AIS is showing a new name of Renaissance for the Maasdam.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Vanilla Cream Berry Tini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Vanilla Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part Half and Half
Raspberries
Chocolate Shavings

Instructions
Rim martini glass with shaved chocolate. Shake with ice, strain into prepared martini glass, and garnish with raspberries.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 7.18.41 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Yesterday was my 6-month followup with my primary Doctor.  I got a bit of a surprise that he is a bit concerned that my blood sodium level is lower than normal.  I would have thought that would be a good thing but he is a bit concerned and ordered an extra lab test that I'll take care of today.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 24

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Report, Rich, and Happy Birthday Ann.  A very nice group of days and I like the Longfellow quote.  I've been to Nuku'alofa twice, 2011 on Crystal Serenity and 2018 on Crystal Symphony.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Lebanese Lamb Shank and Baked Alaska as served on MS Veendam August 23, 2013.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer Sister in Law with metasticizing mole
ger_77 losing cruising friend Melanie
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
ger_77 and  DH with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Vict0riannSafety and a new loving home for Shadow
Volendam caring for refugees
ger_77 starting to feel like herself
New owner for Maasdam
Norseh20 helping DM find assisted living
6 days for Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS 8/29 to 9/5)
5 days for Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Another lovely morning with the sun just creating the trees. A little rain last evening but nothing like what some folk are dealing with. Be safe everyone. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Praying that your low sodium level is easy to treat. Sometimes this condition is caused by diet, such as drinking too much water that would be an easy fix.  Morning Dailyites! Off to the gym, chores & Bindi walks. Maybe some pool time. 

I laughed out loud at this one! 

0BA0C257-C1C0-4E2D-8F93-FFE3A69AFFFA.jpeg.db944faacef30a739d27a89f3a22cf93.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Firehouse Can Company NV Graham+Fisk's Wine in a Can with Bubbles - white

Definitely a novel idea. And the good news is that they also offer, red, rosé, and rosé with bubbles. A bit elusive but several online distributors with prices starting at

$4/can. Probably cheaper in a multi-pack.  

Has anyone ever tied wine in a can? Would love to hear your opinion.

87 Wine Enthusiast 

This soft, off-dry wine offers a foamy texture filled with light vanilla, coconut and almond flavors that segue to meringue on the finish.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 8

Good morning everyone. We had some thunderstorms last night. We really needed the rain but it came down so fast in some places that is caused flooding because the dry ground couldn’t absorb it quickly enough. We were lucky and didn’t lose power. Sometimes we lose power and it’s not even raining so there is no accounting for when that will happen. I’m always prepared if it’s raining but the last time I was sitting in my lazy boy chair and had to climb out of it, hoping the whole thing wouldn’t tip over.

Happy Birthday Victoria Ann.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!  

The rain has gone away for the day and I'm taking the day off from painting.  I'm going to do my laps and then have lunch with friends.  Looking forward to a relaxing day.  Although, I do have a lot of paint to scrub off.  I am the messiest painter ever.

Today's meal sounds good to me as a side dish.  I do like cauliflower and it is so good for you.  

Cauliflower is an extremely healthy vegetable that’s a significant source of nutrients.

It also contains unique plant compounds that may reduce the risk of several diseases, including heart disease and cancer. Additionally, it’s weight loss friendly and incredibly easy to add to your diet.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-cauliflower

This cauliflower "steak" is so impressive, your meal will demand a steak knife! Prep work is simplified for this sheet-pan dinner with an herbed garlic oil that's used two ways: first it's mixed with panko and Parmesan for a crispy crust for the cauliflower, then tossed with beans and cherry tomatoes for a zesty side dish.https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/herb-crusted-cauliflower-steaks-with-beans-and-tomatoes

29676784_cauliflowersteak1.jpg.d1cda0aecccadf690b64d078e313ec12.jpg

This Parmesan-crusted cauliflower makes a flavorful and hearty vegetarian main that is ready in under an hour. A generous amount of cooking spray helps the panko breadcrumb coating on these cauliflower steaks get nice and crispy.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7896613/parmesan-crusted-cauliflower-with-white-beans-tomatoes/

1958177583_cauliflowersteak2.thumb.jpg.b43e49425723924548076511815b4ac5.jpg

In this sophisticated recipe, Tuscan-spiced cauliflower is coated with creamy mustard sauce and a rich topping of parmesan, breadcrumbs, and lemon zest before baking in the oven until delightfully golden brown and crunchy. A vibrant trio of creamy white beans, spinach, and fresh tomatoes (finished with a bit of fresh lemon juice) makes a hearty bed for the cauliflower steaks.  https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/parmesan-crusted-cauliflower-steaks-with-white-bean-saute-lemon

135577065_cauliflowersteak4.jpg.9f4d9dc5832f2b28b808fb4a6dffbdcb.jpg

This last one comes with a different side salad made from cucumbers, bell peppers, and red onion.  I think that looks good and I might get the fixings for that!  https://skinnyms.com/herb-crusted-cauliflower-steaks/

1248923523_cauliflowersteak5.jpg.a70656c0edb73a59b597d87a899c1a39.jpg

Here's wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 8

@Vict0riann have a very happy birthday! 🍾🎂

Thank you for the Daily Reports!  Prayers for all on the care list and for the people in Ukraine. It is great to start my day with fun cocktails (not drinking in the am) the great food suggestions and learning about new wines and ports of call. 

John will go fishing, I may if he texts he is catching fish. My weeding has become an abject failure. Two loads of line dried wash, minor roof repair assistance with John.  I ended up fertilizing some daylilies and deadheading hanging baskets. Today is the day.  Tomatoes have begun to ripen. First mozzarella salad of the season.  Have a great day! 

IMG_20220822_153913542.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Has anyone ever tied wine in a can? Would love to hear your opinion.

I try not to be “stuffy” about wine.  Nothing wrong with a screw top bottle;  they are never corked.  I don’t bring glass to the pool or the beach so I thought I’d try canned wine.  Also, cans are eco-friendly.  They’re many available at Total Wine, most are fruity, more like a spritzer, perfect for a hot summer day.    I like a rose during the summer, Amble Chase from France is particularly good, not to sweet.  

Daffodil Day must be for our friends in the Southern Hemisphere.  They always make me think of spring and are one of my favorite flowers.  Wordsworth like them too.  A quote from his poem “I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud” 

9CFA3368-C157-460D-8B6C-635176D07CBF.thumb.jpeg.01b9a9cbf7ce37fa5d6d9ba92af30ebf.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them and cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  First, happy birthday to Ann @Vict0riann!   Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Not sure I want to ride the wind, even hang gliding.  I love daffodils but this seems like an odd time of the year to celebrate them.  I would hug my sweetheart but he's already left for an early dermatologist check up.  We have an excellent quote today.  The cauliflower steak recipe seems very unusual.  No thanks to the drink and wine.

Our port of the day, Nuku'alofa, Tonga, was listed here last December 8, 2021.  Here is a link to that date on Rich's activity page #29.  I have not been there before so have no photos to share.

Roy @rafinmdthank you for keeping our lists for us.  Still many to pray for each day, but we have a nice amount of celebrations.  Graham @grapau27enjoy your dinner tonight with Pauline and Sarah.  Good luck to the new owners of the Maasdam.  I hope plans are being made for the changeover of the Volendam from Ukraine refugee hotel to cruise ship again.  I hope the refugees have somewhere to go to rebuild their lives.  Many folks here have been looking forward to the Volendam to start cruising again so that should be an interesting start up.  

I did my leg exercises two times yesterday as ordered.  I will be doing them M-W-F so have the day off today.  Hoping for improvement though I was warned it will feel worse before getting better.  That's a bummer!

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Love daffodil’s but alas none are blooming here at this time of they year.  I would give anything to hug my sweetheart - I guess it will be the bear and these two instead.

B78BDF75-BC2A-469D-B80C-E65E3D08E32F.thumb.jpeg.81f1c1d6559760a997a744c628cd8530.jpeg

Yes, there are 2 more dogs in the house - I’m babysitting for my groomer so she can finally have a well deserved vacation.  I made this committment two months ago before Shadow came into the picture and we had already introduced them to Shadow to be safe and all was good.

They are sweethearts, well behaved except…

7BA4D388-1C50-48F4-9D1C-EDC75ED29509.thumb.jpeg.66fda054048a8007ebfdc0ec216b599c.jpeg

I never allowed dogs on my furniture - if I don’t have one, I have 2 LOL.  No biggie - the are good so who cares for a few days?  The couch is covered.

2479E7CA-FFD7-4F93-BFBE-696DD2680058.thumb.jpeg.6c8e1e17c2c0fb99482ecac8291c2552.jpeg

I was afraid I couldn’t do it after what I endured with Little Shadow but they have been good for me I think.  anyways, it’s only a few days.  

Today’s quote is so true - at least for me it is.

@Vict0rianna very happy birthday to you!

BEFAB94D-F8E0-471E-923B-4D99248BD60C.jpeg.0d243ec7917d1d9df552ff852a67ce74.jpeg

@cat shepardthe only wine I have seen in a can is a spritzer of sorts.  I have seen wine in those tetra packages and it tastes ok.

Henry (the terrier) and Jack (the sheltie) and I have a busy day so I better get moving and take care of these two sweeties some more.

D7139ABB-4214-47EF-A5C6-5822D5CD6644.thumb.jpeg.042a873b3f8c58ade30f6adbd4885403.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Shout Out/Celebratory List.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!  

D6CF2FBC-1C28-4C5B-863B-8C10DA36816C.jpeg.c334cb392a23d77d0b9ea66a4cfde597.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when/where needed.

• Like 45
  • Thanks 4