The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 16th, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A salute to the American Legion. I've only collected a few rocks from some travels. Step families are bonus families. Interesting quote.

Pass on the meal (fish, especially with eyes!)) and drink. Maybe to the wine.

I went around Cape Horn and was in the Drake passage on Zaandam on my SA/Antarctica cruise.

It's partly sunny and 78F currently. The lower humidity has been great. We are getting some smoke from the western wildfires, but it is high up in the atmosphere and not really any issue. It was very nice yesterday to sit on BFF's deck with friends and enjoy the outdoors. Unfortunately the visitors had to leave early as they had a problem with their rental car and had to go all the way back to the airport to get a new one. And I left before it got dark due to my vision issues. I should mow the lawn before it warms up more the next few days.

@dfish Congrats on your home being under contract! Prayers that all goes smoothly.

@kazu Sorry to hear the SUV needs all that, but great on the goodwill gesture from the dealership. Very nice of two CC members to take over the Bon Voyage threads while you're gone.

@Cruzin Terri Wishing you strength to get through this house saga.

@smitty34877 I am glad to hear that there is a way forward for the family in dealing with what you are all going through.

@aliaschief Safe travels and enjoy the grandchildren!

@kochleffel Sorry to hear Jr Cat is still not eating. I hope she improves soon.

@Cruising-along I'm glad to hear DGS is ok. Enjoy the time with them both!

@grapau27 It's been amazing seeing the miles of people patiently waiting to see the Queen lying in state at Westminster Hall. 

@USN59-79 Good to hear Sara is doing well after her cataract surgery.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry about the sprinkler head trouble. Thanks for the recipe (sans olives, lol).

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Copied from Dec 18, 2021

Cape Horn, from the Zaandam, December 26, 2018

951810705_001-12_26.18CapeHorn.thumb.jpg.c2e74493137799aa32cae2eb58a1f3d0.jpg

Cape Horn Lighthouse Station and Wooden Chapel 

1794315694_005-12_26.18LighthouseStationandWoodenChapel.thumb.jpg.bb1b6daa639563def0a805ba08686e94.jpg

Albatross Monument, a memorial to sailors who lost their lives rounding Cape Horn

1248098042_007-12_26.18AlbatrossMonument.thumb.jpg.8c0e641f55a8da852828a0b65b21b619.jpg

1517327191_008-12_26.18AlbatrossMonument.thumb.jpg.c2aed52e84691fcb9ea38f6a3077343b.jpg

Seas getting rougher in the Drake passage

748388111_012-12_26.18SeasgettingrougheraroundCapeHorn.thumb.jpg.1b11379495899d03ad1b4f719e6f42ff.jpg

1298767227_013-12_26.18RoundingCapeHorn.thumb.jpg.c326793169d11cb954430fe584251b68.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

That's good to know, but still, that is a long time to stand in line for a few very brief minutes to view the Queen's coffin.

Lenda

That's my thoughts exactly.

My knees and hips arthritis would prevent me standing in a long queue 

We are watching everything on our TV.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11

Today's sunrise represents a bit of an anomaly.   My first ever cruise ship was the Carnival Fantasy in 1993.  In 2014 I joined my brother in Charleston SC for a reunion of his submarine crew.  At that time, Fantasy was sailing out of Charleston so I decided on a 5-day cruise fro old times sake.  On September 16 we visited Freeport:

dawn0916.jpg

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A salute to the American Legion. I've only collected a few rocks from some travels. Step families are bonus families. Interesting quote.

Pass on the meal (fish, especially with eyes!)) and drink. Maybe to the wine.

I went around Cape Horn and was in the Drake passage on Zaandam on my SA/Antarctica cruise.

It's partly sunny and 78F currently. The lower humidity has been great. We are getting some smoke from the western wildfires, but it is high up in the atmosphere and not really any issue. It was very nice yesterday to sit on BFF's deck with friends and enjoy the outdoors. Unfortunately the visitors had to leave early as they had a problem with their rental car and had to go all the way back to the airport to get a new one. And I left before it got dark due to my vision issues. I should mow the lawn before it warms up more the next few days.

@dfish Congrats on your home being under contract! Prayers that all goes smoothly.

@kazu Sorry to hear the SUV needs all that, but great on the goodwill gesture from the dealership. Very nice of two CC members to take over the Bon Voyage threads while you're gone.

@Cruzin Terri Wishing you strength to get through this house saga.

@smitty34877 I am glad to hear that there is a way forward for the family in dealing with what you are all going through.

@aliaschief Safe travels and enjoy the grandchildren!

@kochleffel Sorry to hear Jr Cat is still not eating. I hope she improves soon.

@Cruising-along I'm glad to hear DGS is ok. Enjoy the time with them both!

@grapau27 It's been amazing seeing the miles of people patiently waiting to see the Queen lying in state at Westminster Hall. 

@USN59-79 Good to hear Sara is doing well after her cataract surgery.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry about the sprinkler head trouble. Thanks for the recipe (sans olives, lol).

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Copied from Dec 18, 2021

Cape Horn, from the Zaandam, December 26, 2018

951810705_001-12_26.18CapeHorn.thumb.jpg.c2e74493137799aa32cae2eb58a1f3d0.jpg

Cape Horn Lighthouse Station and Wooden Chapel 

1794315694_005-12_26.18LighthouseStationandWoodenChapel.thumb.jpg.bb1b6daa639563def0a805ba08686e94.jpg

Albatross Monument, a memorial to sailors who lost their lives rounding Cape Horn

1248098042_007-12_26.18AlbatrossMonument.thumb.jpg.8c0e641f55a8da852828a0b65b21b619.jpg

1517327191_008-12_26.18AlbatrossMonument.thumb.jpg.c2aed52e84691fcb9ea38f6a3077343b.jpg

Seas getting rougher in the Drake passage

748388111_012-12_26.18SeasgettingrougheraroundCapeHorn.thumb.jpg.1b11379495899d03ad1b4f719e6f42ff.jpg

1298767227_013-12_26.18RoundingCapeHorn.thumb.jpg.c326793169d11cb954430fe584251b68.jpg

Vanessa, I'm glad you had a good time visiting with your friends and enjoying the outdoors.  I'm just sorry they had to leave early because of rental car issues.  BTW, I'm not fond of black olives, or any olives, but I can tolerate a few black olives.  That's why I limit it to one small can in the recipe. 😄

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

We are having pleasant end of Summer weather here.  Sara saw here eye doctor yesterday the day after cataract surgery and all is going well.  He gave her some well-fitting sunglasses to wear in daytime and some clear glasses with foam around the edges to wear at night to protect the eyes.

As a child and teenager I was a rockhound.  Grew up in Central Washington where there was a lot of petrified wood and agates in the hills.  My parents bought me a lapidary outfit so I could cut and polish stones.  My father turned our milk house over to me to set up the cuting and polishing equipment when we go rid of our milk cows.  I now have a wooden dynamite box in the garage filled with rocks I collected as a kid.  Surprising I have held on to that box for more than 60 years.

There are a lot of veteran's organizations; American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, Disabled American Veterans, etc.  I belong to the DAV, as  they were very helpful when I needed to file a claim to the VA for my leukemia associated with my service in Vietnam.

Ray

Ray, I'm glad all is going well after Sara's cataract surgery.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Soon after I left Petsmart, the v-e-t called with the Junior Cat's lab report. Several values were slightly off, but not to the extent of suggesting anything specific. He concurred with syringe feeding and suggested I stop by his office to get prescription foods that are formulated for it.

I hope the syringe feeding with the special food goes well, and helps the Junior Cat feel better soon.

Now it's time to go relax with my book after a busy day.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

One quick note about the King Ranch Casserole, it's really hard to mess it up.  The other day I forgot to put the cheese layer between the layers.  When I realized my error. I put one layer of cheese on top, then the tomatoes and green chiles, and finished with the remaining cheese.   I thought it made it better.  

Also, I had two cans of cream of chicken with mushroom soup I needed to use.  I used the two cans and it was still good, but I won't go out of my way to repeat that.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Melisa, and for anyone else who is interested, this is the recipe I use.  

KING RANCH CHICKEN

Thanks @Quartzsite Cruiser for your recipe and the freezing suggestions, too! 

A quick question: Is the "1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes and green chilies, undrained"  in your recipe often called by the brand name RO✴️TEL?

And, if RO✴️TEL (or similar) is correct, do you suggest using the 'Original' or the 'Mild' version?

Thanks again,

-Melisa

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Thanks @Quartzsite Cruiser for your recipe and the freezing suggestions, too! 

A quick question: Is the "1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes and green chilies, undrained"  in your recipe often called by the brand name RO✴️TEL?

And, if RO✴️TEL (or similar) is correct, do you suggest using the 'Original' or the 'Mild' version?

Thanks again,

-Melisa

Melisa, I do use the name brand ones.  Others would probably work, but I've not tried them.  I also get the original version, which I don't find very spicy.  DH likes spicer than I do, but the original works well with the other ingredients.  I guess it depends on your individual spice tolerance.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Good evening all,

We are back from our day at our house.  Every time I walk in I feel sad.  I did manage to get some things packed up so I made some progress.  Jim came with me today and helped me.

We also realized that while the condo that we are staying in is very nice and comfortable, it is also 55 miles from our home and all the services that we need (doctors, bank, and other appointments, etc.).  it is a long drive and it is exhausting us. So we made a decision.  I spoke to the very nice neighbor who offered it to us, and to the insurance rep.  Everyone was very nice and understanding.  So we have decided to find something closer to our home.  We found an Airbnb on Hilton Head, which is about a 20 minute ride away.  The insurance agent agreed on the price and our neighbor was very gracious.  She even told me that her husband would repair our mailbox, which was damaged about two weeks ago. So we are good.

I also found out that the check we received was to get some money to us and does not represent the final estimate.  That was also good news.  

We have to take all the good news we can get.

We don’t expect any work to start on the house until mid October, so we have decided to take our anniversary vacation as planned in Barbados at the Coral Reef Club.  We will be going for the first two weeks in October.  I think we both need the rest. On our return we will go to the new living arrangement on Hilton Head.

Today I felt that there was a ray of hope.  

Tomorrow my cousin is coming.  She does interior decorating on the side.  She is going to give us some pointers on redecorating our better than new home when it is finally finished.

I hope everyone had a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 20

11 hours ago, richwmn said:

Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.--Neil Gaiman, Fables & Reflections

image.jpeg.11167ea643f32241cef080a9067fd648.jpeg

Morning Jokes Quotes. QuotesGram

30 Good Morning Memes for a Good Laugh | Reader's Digest

Jokes That Quack You Up – Curious as a Cathy

image.jpeg.50da5f4c85c2b6e8da2a288a6a2d96f8.jpeg

How To Dad - How To Dad added a new photo.

11 hours ago, richwmn said:

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 4
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening all,

We are back from our day at our house.  Every time I walk in I feel sad.  I did manage to get some things packed up so I made some progress.  Jim came with me today and helped me.

We also realized that while the condo that we are staying in is very nice and comfortable, it is also 55 miles from our home and all the services that we need (doctors, bank, and other appointments, etc.).  it is a long drive and it is exhausting us. So we made a decision.  I spoke to the very nice neighbor who offered it to us, and to the insurance rep.  Everyone was very nice and understanding.  So we have decided to find something closer to our home.  We found an Airbnb on Hilton Head, which is about a 20 minute ride away.  The insurance agent agreed on the price and our neighbor was very gracious.  She even told me that her husband would repair our mailbox, which was damaged about two weeks ago. So we are good.

I also found out that the check we received was to get some money to us and does not represent the final estimate.  That was also good news.  

We don’t expect any work to start on the house until mid October, so we have decided to take our anniversary vacation as planned in Barbados at the Coral Reef Club.  We will be going for the first two weeks in October.  I think we both need the rest. On our return we will go to the new living arrangement on Hilton Head.

Tomorrow my cousin is coming.  She does interior decorating on the side.  She is going to give us some pointers on redecorating our better than new home when it is finally finished.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, it sounds like things are settling into place for you.  I'm glad you're going to take your anniversary vacation as planned.  I'm also happy to hear you will move into something closer to home after that. Good to hear the insurance agent and neighbor are being helpful and cooperative.  And the cousin coming to give advice on the new features and decor in your home sounds great.  Hopefully you will feel a lot more comfortable with all the recent events and be happy with the final results.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening all,

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm happy you finally have some good news. Enjoy your anniversary trip next month.  You'll come back refreshed, settle into the new tempoary quarters, and be able to tackle the next steps in getting the house better than new.  Glad your cousin is coming to give you some ideas about fixing and decorating the house.

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dfish said:

Today's meal is very interesting.  I think I would really like it if the fish wasn't staring back at me from the bowl.  

Same here. I like fish (cooked, raw) but don’t want it looking at me while I’m eating it. 

16 hours ago, kazu said:

Well I got good news and bad news on the SUV.  It’s at the shop until at least Monday.  The coil spring broke & as a result so did the strut bearing 😬 I asked how that could have happened - rough roads was the answer - I guess that’s the penalty for driving to the hospital all those months - the roads are rough even though I had every pothole memorized and avoided them.  

I swallowed hard and asked how much I was looking at ( I since found out) and was told that Hyundai and the manager were picking up the cost as a gesture of good will as Jose and I were such good clients.  It would have been covered under the warranty that ran out 2 weeks ago and they are going to make it happen.  OMG.  Relief and gratitude and I confess, a tear in my eye as I thanked them profusely.  A good thing has happened at long last since Jose died.

That is SO sweet of them!

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@HAL Sailer Melisa, and for anyone else who is interested, this is the recipe I use.  

KING RANCH CHICKEN

Thanks, adding this to my list of Cruise Critic Daily recipes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Arrived safely at daughters. I have a question? What is the meaning of “rare” on Roy’s or Coppers picture avatar?

Excellent news! Basically means that, after a profusion of wrangle, the "powers to be" at CC have reached the conclusion that Roy and yours truly possess an extremely scattered sense of absurdity!  🤔

101 Short Jokes Anyone Can Remember | Reader's Digest 

• Haha 9

20 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser , @ottahand7 (and any other Daily-ites, too):

You both mentioned King Ranch Chicken yesterday. I've had it, enjoyed it, but never made it. Googling it turns up more recipes than I care to sort through. Do you have a favorite recipe?

-Melisa

I have mine from a newspaper clipping from the Baltimore Sun.   I will try to scan it if I can find it.   Perhaps if your search finds one from the Sun it would be it.  It is really yummy and easy. 

• Like 1