The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 21st, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Peace Day, Miniature Golf Day, and World Gratitude Day

Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.--John Lennon

Meal Suggestion for today - Lime-Chipotle Carnitas Tostadas
Drink of the Day - Holly Jolly Punch
Wine of the Day - Iron Horse 2017 Wedding Cuvee Estate Bottled Spark
Destination of the Day - Townsville, Australia

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 12:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/22

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Kristiansand, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Relocate to Triest

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

0921World.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from a sunny 16°C North East England.

That you for today's fleet reports.

2 very worthy days today which would be fantastic if everyone abided by them.

A very true quote from John Lennon.

Today's food and drink doesn't appeal to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

Wishing everyone good health and prayers 🙏 for everyone who is not well at the moment.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220921_113902.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day.

Another nice day for us, should get up to 24C (75F) this afternoon.  Bertie and I will go for a walk when the sun comes up.

A nice collection of days.   We pray for World Peace.   I haven't played miniature golf in years.  I am grateful for so many friends in my life, good health, the ability to travel and my dear husband.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I may save the drink until December.  I hope the wine isn't too expensive.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 21

1 minute ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today's meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes. Two birthdays this week. Tucker turned 11 yesterday and Jasper turns 11 on 9/23. 

20220821_113020.thumb.jpg.51b73ff7f93c9a01f8eba6a92585f3ee.jpg

Happy birthdays to 2 beautiful cats.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 13

Thank you for the Rich for the Hump Day Report.  3 great days, although it's many years since I've played miniature golf.  It's also the last full day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, although tomorrow is mostly summer.  I love the Lennon quote, but have not been to Townsville.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is an Amtrak Empire Builder chicken entree as served on September 21, 2017 on the way to Seattle to meet MS Oosterdam.

Today’s care list:

LocoLoco1 recovering from back surgery
Western wildfires and those in Fiona’s path
Emergency workers, including Maryland Urban Search and Rescue
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam in Italian waters
3 days for fatcat04 (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/24 to 10/2)
Still fight left in HAL Sailer Sister in Law
Welcome home aliaschief
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Rich for the Hump Day Report.  3 great days, although it's many years since I've played miniature golf.  It's also the last full day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, although tomorrow is mostly summer.  I love the Lennon quote, but have not been to Townsville.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is an Amtrak Empire Builder chicken entree as served on September 21, 2017 on the way to Seattle to meet MS Oosterdam.

Today’s care list:

LocoLoco1 recovering from back surgery
Western wildfires and those in Fiona’s path
Emergency workers, including Maryland Urban Search and Rescue
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam in Italian waters
3 days for fatcat04 (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/24 to 10/2)
Still fight left in HAL Sailer Sister in Law
Welcome home aliaschief
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for keeping the lists updated daily Roy.

Graham.

• Like 8

Thank you for today’s Report and Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Fast moving clouds are currently blocking the sun, but I can see blue sky behind them. NOAA says that Fiona will be pulling moisture from my area, so the rains that visited while I was away will not happen. 

Off to the gym. I am happy not to be sore, but last evening my legs felt heavy. I suspect because I did my first dance class yesterday. 🤔

I am happy that my luggage was not damaged in transit…

7C47D4DA-42F4-4C5F-AE8C-7BCEF6DA97DD.jpeg.388e12704eda7c009932e23657e0dcce.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Iron Horse 2017 Wedding Cuvee Estate

This sparkler sounds interesting and inviting. Critics and consumers are fans. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $32.99. I need to add this to my list. 

Winemaker Notes

By nose: raspberry, mandarin orange peel and nutmeg. In the mouth stone fruit, pink grapefruit, Tahitian lime, blood orange, raspberry with a gentle mouthfeel. 

A food friendly wine that works with most styles, sauces and preparations. Pairs well with full flavored fish, pork chops, and chicken. Also try with crispy kale and stir fried vegetables. All you really need is dark, bittersweet chocolate!

WE97 Wine Enthusiast

Combining 73% Pinot Noir and 27% Chardonnay, this beautiful sparkling wine tastes of brioche, fresh-picked strawberry and blood orange. It is rich and generous yet balanced on the palate, finishing on refreshing accents of slate and oyster shell

WS93 Wine Spectator

Supple and harmonious, with pretty strawberry, baked apple and nectarine flavors that are laced with yeast roll and spice. Drink now. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days - Peace is wished for every day & it is important to try to be grateful for what we have rather than grieve over what we have lost.

Love the quote by Lennon.  Good to keep in mind at all times.

Have I said how much I hate waiting for cabs?  They seem to take forever!

A55ADF29-1731-45BC-B8EA-51F33D604BAA.jpeg.28881e2765c57f8ec6b0169e7a3b80cf.jpeg

I am not a good at waiting and had to wait twice yesterday.

2DBC4DD5-7EBB-4EC4-8B7F-C9AF6F4E4422.jpeg.46a375476ee8039314965b0ec863f9e5.jpeg

But at least I got the SUV back late yesterday afternoon 👍 Just in time for my very busy day today. It’s going to be tight to get from my appointment to my grief counselling but at least I have wheels to do it with.

Once I get back, rain or not, I am going to have to get my heavy chairs in the shed.  they might be heavy for me but they aren’t for hurricane force winds.  That’s a Jose job like the car.  I hate doing those jobs. 😔

Warnings are out already - Fiona is coming and if the water isn’t cold enough to slow her down enough - she will hit as a cat 3 Hurricane.  The strongest hurricane ever to hit Atlantic Canada.

So, I will be busy today between appointments and trying to get a bunch of stuff done.  Don’t know if I can clean out the garage enough or not to get the car in.  I hope so.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Wednesday everyone !!!!!!

8A1FF56B-724D-493F-A747-B5881C9D1A3A.thumb.jpeg.0d627080a25dbbc6eade4bcdd083aa2a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone.

A good morning it is.  The basement stayed DRY during last night's storm.  I think I finally came through to the other side.  I can go off today during the inspection and not have totally twisted innards.   Thank goodness for my neighbor, Trevor!  He had already left for work when I got up, but I definitely have to let him know.  

Today's meal sounds good and could be a carb friendly one with low carb tortillas. Carnitas, literally meaning "little meats", is a dish of Mexican cuisine that originated in the state of Michoacán. Carnitas are made by braising or simmering pork in oil or preferably lard until tender. The process takes three to four hours, and the result is very tender and juicy meat, which is then typically served with chopped cilantro (coriander leaves), diced onion, salsa, guacamole, tortillas, and refried beans (frijoles refritos).  

A chipotle, or chilpotle, is a smoke-dried ripe jalapeño chili pepper used for seasoning. It is a chili used primarily in Mexican and Mexican-inspired cuisines, such as Tex-Mex and Southwestern United States dishes. It comes in different forms, such as chipotles en adobo (stewed in adobo sauce).

Tostada is the name given to various dishes in Mexico and other parts of Latin America which include a toasted tortilla as the main base of their preparation. The name usually refers to a flat or bowl-shaped tortilla that is deep-fried or toasted, but may also refer to any dish using a tostada as a base. 

Given the above, there are tons of things you can do with this dish.  You can substitute chicken for the pork if you wish.  And, have a blast with the toppings.  The possibilities are endless.  

Our first recipe comes from Taste of Home and gives us a basic framework for the dish.  Branch out from there!   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lime-chipotle-carnitas-tostadas/

272960362_Tostadas1.jpg.ba6d9364f02b002aa64159a03c8d138b.jpg

This recipe lets your instant pot do all the work.   https://www.whatscookinchicago.com/2017/03/instant-pot-chipotle-lime-carnitas.html

87411961_Tostadas3.jpg.e458b6f427a23b15019a07f56e6080d7.jpg

This next one includes black beans to help with the cholesterol.  Lots of good fiber there.   https://marleyspoon.com/menu/86099-carnitas-tostadas-with-refried-black-beans-pico-de-gallo-lime-crema

113209562_Tostadas4.thumb.jpeg.f625c8a4a025f2ea3f020dbffead34af.jpeg

Let's get really healthy by including some greens and avocado.   https://preventionrd.com/2014/07/avocado-and-carnitas-tostadas/

1461565219_Tostadas6.jpg.f9e470abff84e93a03f0eb85a7b3b2d6.jpg

Prayers that the Bolt Creek fire is contained today and no one is harmed or in danger.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.   Pray for Ukraine.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

9 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Although I certainly support International Peace Day and World Gratitude Day …

Do you remember

The 21st night of September?

Love was changin' the minds of pretenders

While chasin' the clouds away

8DB7ECDB-F6E0-42E3-A66A-71233AC2795A.jpeg.7f393865744f83fd9d2e9fe1a9da986b.jpeg

Ba-du-da, ba-du-da, ba-du

Ba-du-da, ba-du, ba-du, ba-du

I might have forgotten some of the lyrics. I love how the lyrics of some of the old great songs are so clear. 😀

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

Good morning. I salute the days and love  the Lennon quote.We have not been to the port.The quinoa dish was a big success  last night with white beans added for the vegetarians.

Thank you Debbie  for the recipes @dfish.I hope the inspection  goes well today.

We have to get our Tana out for an appointment  and once again our neighbor and his son offered  to help get the WC down the front steps. The ambulette  driver will be here soon.Her aide is going with her this time.I am learning  to give up some control but it us not easy!

Dog walks are started when it is still dark these days and I have seen the nocturnal critters in the distance,mostly raccoons  and skunks.The two dogs are of course very aware of their presence. I will have to start a little later for the next three months or so.

Enjoy the day everyone 

• Like 23

Holly Jolly Punch:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
3 parts Cranberry Juice
6 parts Ginger Ale
2 parts Frozen orange juice concentrate
Cinnamon Allspice
Nutmeg
Garnish: Orange slice
Cranberries

Instructions
Add ingredients to a punch bowl and stir. Slowly stir in orange juice concentrate as it melts. Add spices to taste, and garnish with orange slices and cranberries.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 8.04.57 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Good Wednesday morning everyone!  Today we decided to walk together outside instead of taking turns on the treadmill.  It was pitch black out there!  We didn't run into any wildlife, but I did hear an owl which was fun. I had my breakfast here which is what I prefer.  We tried a restaurant yesterday we hadn't been to before when we went out for breakfast.  The eggs and bacon were cooked perfectly, however I think the hash browns could have had a little more crisp to them, and the biscuit was crumbly.  When we went to the grocery store we both felt like we were dragging due to the heavy meal.  I saw several things that have gone up in price again while there and am not happy about it.  This inflation is killing us!  I know everyone here has felt it too.🙁

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I checked on Volendam's position last night and she was just south of Sicily.  I'm anxious to hear about her first cruise coming up in a few days.  I hope someone on board will report back on her.  I hope for International Peace every day, and especially today when I heard of Putin's threat to use nuclear weapons.  😡  I am happy to celebrate World Gratitude day.  I haven't played miniature golf in a good long while.  I think it was with some of our grandchildren on a vacation once.  The menu suggestion looks pretty good, and I like the quote a lot.  

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the lists he keeps.  So many to pray for. 🙏 I need to add prayers for those near @HAL4NOWas the fires threaten them.  Hope for better news today.  Also need to pray for those in the path of Hurricane Fiona.  She's up to a category 4 now.  Jacqui @kazuI hope you can get everything prepared for the storm as she reaches you.  Good news about the car being back.  Debbie @dfishwonderful news there was no water in the basement this morning.  Looks like the problem has been solved.  Have a good day out while the inspection is going on.  Thinking of you Terri @Cruzin Terrias you work through all that has to be done with your house and belongings.  Take everything one step at a time so as not to overwhelm yourselves.  I hope all on the Celebration lists are enjoying their good fortune.  Cheers to you all!🥂

Townsville, Australia is our port today for the second time.  First was on March 30, 2021 so here is a link for those who need it for photo retrieval.  I have not been to Townsville, even on our circumnavigation of Australia.  I love visiting Australia and hope someone will post their photos today.

Have a nice day everyone!❤️

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Happy Hump Day!  We are having one more warm day before fall weather sets in.  I plan on cutting back my front perennial garden and then behind that I will have to spray Wet & Forget on the siding.  We had a damp summer and my large plants hold the humidity in that area.   All is set for our trip to Baltimore.  Lunch with a former employee now friend next Friday then dinner with my old neighbor at a favorite Italian restaurant.  Next day is an afternoon late lunch with my late DH's son and DDIL.  Sunday the big game then meeting dear friends for Sushi after the game.  Finally on Monday I will have lunch with my Master Gardener friends for Indian food.  DF doesn't care for Indian so I think this will be my first Indian since I left Baltimore County in 2016.   

@richwmnthank you for the Daily Reports and the ship's position.  So happy to see the Volendam getting closer to passengers on board.  The quote is a great on by JL.   @dfishthe Carnitas look great and are having me thinking Mexican restaurant again but it will be broiled Cod for us.   I am glad your foundation work kept your basement dry!  The Iron Horse sparkler sounds wonderful.  We visited there on our final Sonoma trip in 2013 with my DH.   It was a lovely late fall afternoon tasting wine under their massive palm trees.  

@rafinmdthank you for the updates for us!    Prayers for those in Puerto Rico, DR and Turks & Caicos.  Prayers for all in Ukraine as Putin is saber rattling again.  Wishes of good health for everyone. 

@Crazy For Cats You are great to remember the exact birthdates of your kitties.  Happy Birthday to them! 🎂😽

artemsia 622.JPG

• Like 21

Good morning from central Texas.  I have an errand and also a few things to do outside, and I want to get them out of the way early.  It will be in the 90sF later today, but nexxt week is supposed to be cooler.

International peace day and world gratitude day are worth celebrating.  We have a lot to be grateful for.  I think the last time we played miniature golf was more than 20 years ago on a RC ship

I really like the John Lennon quote.  We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have not been to Townsville, Australia.

@Crazy For Cats  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to two cute kitties.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you can get evrything done today.  Great you have your car back.  I also hope the cool water will lessen Fiona's intensity.

@dfish  Yeah, Debbie, on the dry basement, and for your neighbor Trevor.  

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope there are no surprises at Tana's

apointment.  You also have wonderful neighbors.

@HAL4NOW  Hoping that you and the town are spared be the fire.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

We just received 'the best news possible' from DSIL. Her full body scan and brain MRI show that the melanoma has not spread beyond her arm and nearby axillary nodes. The correct chemo port has been located at a metro area hospital, so she will travel there tomorrow for insertion under general anesthesia. And, her first chemo is now planned for Friday at an infusion center near her home.

We know DSIL has a long road ahead, but this is truly the best news possible!

Thanks for all your prayers,

-Melisa

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8