Sea Dog Conducts: Symphony No. 1: Food Fantastique with the UDP “As if Live”

Sea Dog

On 9/25/2022 at 7:16 AM, Sea Dog said:

513220172_SeaDogConductsSymphony1copy.thumb.jpg.139ee91aa89f286c547876887e746b95.jpg

It’s time to strike up the orchestra and conduct another review. This time on Symphony of the Seas. This is our first cruise on Symphony. This Symphony cruise will feature the Unlimited Dining Package and Deluxe Drink Package. It’s going to be musical cornucopia of fine food and drink. After all a good pirate knows how to eat and drink.

So without further a due it’s time to strike up the band and what better way to preview what you will be in store for is watch my cruise hype tease video.

THE DETAILS:

1730877448_CCSeaDogAvatar.thumb.jpg.0479aeb8cabf12eebd1253f84a06c7fc.jpg

Who: Sea Dog a bonafide pirate with a love for the sea and ships and his lovely wife Linda.

What: A 7 night Western Caribbean (our first Western itinerary) 

When: September 17-24 with one night pre stay at the Miami Hilton Downtown.

Where:

Leaving from Miami with stops in:

Puerto Costa Maya

Roatan

Cozumel

Perfect Day at CocoCay

This itinerary includes two sea days Here is Google Earth Video of our adventure.

I can't believe that I am late to this party!  Fantastic videos to start this.  I can't wait for more!

• Like 1

After at least celebrating the fact that I got the Go Pro back but depressed that it's not working leaves me with nothing else to do but to go to the Mast Bar for sail away and get a couple of Lava Flows.

IMG_8649.thumb.jpeg.1980d5d32a73b39991a7b5b86074c682.jpeg

Lava Flow

1 oz. Rum

1 oz. coconut cream 

1 banana (Royal uses banana syrup)

2 oz. pineapple juice

1 cup crushed ice

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 17

14 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

Thinking this would be a good group place in March??

It looks like a fun place but we're not crazy about the dinner menu and it does seem pricey.  This is only Jack's and my opinion.  

Greg, I am thoroughly enjoying your review, but then I knew I would!

• Like 2

We just got off this cruise with you. I saw you in the Solarium area one day. Went to put my towel down and go back and say Hello. Puffff. you were gone.  It was a great cruise with some glitches (MTD) and a few others. It was nice to be cruising again after 3 years. Enjoying your review. Sorry about the Go Pro!

• Like 6

Movement 1: Jamie’s, Is He Really Italian?

1348970713_JamieswithMusic.thumb.jpg.4cd61f5e88a77c0eac884205bd4db5d5.jpg

Every Symphony is an elaborate musical composition for full orchestra, typically in four movements. In this case since Symphony of the Seas has more than four restaurants I will be doing more movements.

The first, Movement 1: Jamie’s Italian  

On Symphony of the Seas, Jamie's is located in Central Park on Deck 8, which was is one of my favorite locations for a specialty restaurant.  As you stroll through the living greenery you can’t help but wonder that you are in a special space. 

DSC_0027.thumb.JPG.e8058af6725a8e50d1af8b3fd30ef19a.JPG

DSC_0024.thumb.JPG.c0681459f6ce7d524e30431e5b4d43ce.JPG

Decor is simple but tables and chairs looked like a hodgepodge of tables and chairs from a neighborhood garage sale.

DSC_0033.thumb.JPG.b92317b1acaca2a57a208e9c7279ed8e.JPG

DSC_0034.thumb.JPG.3a0826504aaad9cf5135ecd6f4bc6688.JPG

They had a tv monitor showing Jamie Oliver cooking like one of his cooking shows no sound so what’s the point.

1077896077_ScreenShot2022-09-26at12_26_32PM.thumb.png.7f82ff69ae2cdb55394d5004c6c3795e.png

For those who don't know, celebrity Chef James Oliver is a British chef, restaurateur, and cookbook author. So basically he's not Italian. He is known for his casual approach to cuisine, which has led him to front numerous television shows and open many restaurants.  People either love him or hate him. Obviously he is not in the kitchen cooking so it’s hard to know if his food is really represented here. Let's see how it tastes.

The Menu:

59333786_ScreenShot2022-09-26at12_40_13PM.thumb.png.5f3d86713075df20738a8304b303b9b0.png

James was our server from India 7 years with Royal. We were seated by the door which unfortunately they kept open the whole time music from the classical guitarist was very loud coming through and a large group of people partying made it a little hard to have a conversation. I love classical guitar but on this night it was a little over bearing.

DSC_0009.thumb.JPG.62c0d3f27e148c0a8a21099e1143202e.JPG

I started off with a Bellini cocktail with Prosecco and peach Purée which was sweet and wonderful.

DSC_0013.thumb.JPG.5343eed0a2ab1ecae212a4aa5bb8a589.JPG

Garlic bread Parmesan with rosemary and garlic. Good taste but I wish it was more warm.

DSC_0017.thumb.JPG.950f09567b442137b16e14ee16ecae1a.JPG

Prawns in garlic with garlic crostini. Good and spicy

DSC_0018.thumb.jpg.05426130e1756c0a28faa70a05e196ae.jpg

Black Truffle Arancini. Crispy black truffle and mozzarella risotto balls with a truffled Bechamel  sauce for dipping. It was really good but be warned the insides are hot (temperature) so let them cool down before popping one in your mouth.

Meat plank with San Daniele prosciutto, Tuscan fennel salami, Nduja Artisans coppa picante & pistachio mortadella with tomato crostini, bocconcini mozzarella, pecorino Sardo & chili jam, focaccia, olives and pickles. A meal in itself. Careful not to eat too much there is more food coming.

DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.b901b9cbd3250df2ea80b444cd0671cc.JPG

DSC_0020.thumb.JPG.4e88f9cad00c1022cc4014c25521541e.JPG

Burrata soft cheese with greens cherry tomatoes and thin crisps which was called carta di musica 

DSC_0031.thumb.jpg.35aa177717b72409f495a07891c4b7d4.jpg

Truffle Tagliatelle. Truffle cream fresh truffle and nutmeg with a heavy whipping cream sauce. This is my favorite dish at Jamie's.

DSC_0032.thumb.JPG.829707edc776323070ce404f0906a11b.JPG

After finishing the Bellini I decided to get a different cocktail the Negroni which was pretty bitter thanks to the Campari. Mellows out a little with the ice melting. Not my favorite.

What does it taste like? A Negroni is a bitter cocktail but the vermouth and orange garnish add enough fruity sweetness to balance it out. The taste is herby, a bit rooty - think liquorice root - and then there are some deep dark fruit flavors

Apologies for the bad pic!

DSC_0038.thumb.JPG.118c80c2dfdc0a63f521dc256ff0fc83.JPG

Linda had the Lasagna. Good but mushy noodles. It's like they cooked the noodles too long before making the layers and putting it into the oven. 

PRO TIP: Use no boil noodles. You don't need to precook. Just lay them into pan and layer. Comes out perfect.

DSC_0039.thumb.jpg.8385a3019d8c995f1d69c7913211ae27.jpg

For me the lamb chops, medium rare. Grilled under a brick and served with agrodolce peppers and salsa verde. Very good. I liked these a lot

Now for dessert.

DSC_0048.thumb.jpg.1c6083ca456a4b9e3078d9b173723c1b.jpg

Epic Brownie 

Warm brownie with caramel ice cream with chocolate syrup drizzle with caramel popcorn.

DSC_0049.thumb.JPG.fbf9ce44b62ea5b4a1457ea3be6cd73b.JPG

With Espresso 

Not crowded at all maybe 10 tables full all night. We spent some good time talking with the manager and our great server James. The food was very good and I left extremely full and satisfied. 

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

It looks like a fun place but we're not crazy about the dinner menu and it does seem pricey.  This is only Jack's and my opinion.  

There are some other good Tiki Bars in Miami. This was good but I could only afford to have two drinks for the two of us. Very expensive.

45 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Greg, didn't you post that you had a Central Park balcony, yet the photo shows Ocean View?

I should have worded it better. We had an ocean view balcony on level 8 which is the same level of Central Park.

26 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

We just got off this cruise with you. I saw you in the Solarium area one day. Went to put my towel down and go back and say Hello. Puffff. you were gone.  It was a great cruise with some glitches (MTD) and a few others. It was nice to be cruising again after 3 years. Enjoying your review. Sorry about the Go Pro!

Rat's sorry I missed you. I was probably in the Solarium pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

After finishing the Bellini I decided to get a different cocktail the Negroni which was pretty bitter thanks to the Campari. Mellows out a little with the ice melting. Not my favorite.

What does it taste like? A Negroni is a bitter cocktail but the vermouth and orange garnish add enough fruity sweetness to balance it out. The taste is herby, a bit rooty - think liquorice root - and then there are some deep dark fruit flavors

I remember the first time I had a Negroni, I absolutely hated it. I could not understand why I had heard so many people say they loved it. Had to pour it out.

About a week later though, I started craving one again, so I made it. Still hated it, but a little less.

8 years later, and it's now my favorite cocktail - swap out the gin for bourbon and you get a boulevardier, which makes it a bit more mellow. Enjoying your review @Sea Dog!

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to watch your intro videos Greg. Your Emmy Award winning skills are on full display!  Fantastic job. 

I’m off Quantum and in a hotel for the next 4 nights so I should be able to enjoy the rest of

your review in near real time. I’m going to take a guess in advance that CP 150 will be your favorite restaurant. Will you be choosing a favorite at the end of the review, or is that like choosing a favorite between your dogs?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have disdain for suction mounted anything. I just don't trust it.

Me too, especially after I “donated” my GoPro to the Caribbean Sea, specifically the island of St Thomas. I only hope a kid found it and got to use it after I gave up my ownership. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:
2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

PRO TIP: Use no boil noodles. You don't need to precook. Just lay them into pan and layer. Comes out perfect.

This cracked me up. Love it!

I make a darned good lasagna.  I don't use no-boil noodles but I don't pre-cook them.  I use uncooked whole wheat noodles and it comes out perfect.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chuckhendo2 said:

8 years later, and it's now my favorite cocktail - swap out the gin for bourbon and you get a boulevardier, which makes it a bit more mellow. Enjoying your review @Sea Dog!

I have learned that any cocktail with Aperol can be tamed with Passion Fruit Syrup.

Love a good Boulevardier!!!

16 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Finally got a chance to watch your intro videos Greg. Your Emmy Award winning skills are on full display!  Fantastic job. 

I’m off Quantum and in a hotel for the next 4 nights so I should be able to enjoy the rest of

your review in near real time. I’m going to take a guess in advance that CP 150 will be your favorite restaurant. Will you be choosing a favorite at the end of the review, or is that like choosing a favorite between your dogs?

Yes I did have a favorite. Stay tuned.

13 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I make a darned good lasagna.  I don't use no-boil noodles but I don't pre-cook them.  I use uncooked whole wheat noodles and it comes out perfect.  

I will have to try that thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

After at least celebrating the fact that I got the Go Pro back but depressed that it's not working leaves me with nothing else to do but to go to the Mast Bar for sail away and get a couple of Lava Flows.

IMG_8649.thumb.jpeg.1980d5d32a73b39991a7b5b86074c682.jpeg

Lava Flow

1 oz. Rum

1 oz. coconut cream 

1 banana (Royal uses banana syrup)

2 oz. pineapple juice

1 cup crushed ice

I've never had one..it looks divine!!  
So sorry about your "accident"

26 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Me too, especially after I “donated” my GoPro to the Caribbean Sea, specifically the island of St Thomas. I only hope a kid found it and got to use it after I gave up my ownership. 

Oh no, Andrew!

• Like 1

One word for GoPro users…tether. I’d shoot time lapse videos from my balcony with a small Gorillapod, but I never really trusted it. I would also attach a safety strap to the camera and tether it to the railing. If the GorillaPod didn’t hold, the whole thing would dangle from the tether until I got back. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. It wasn't that big of a deal to go to Izumi but it sure is nicer if you can do it all in one spot.

Your knee must be a lot better if you could run to Hitachi. You been doing your rehab well to earn this. 

Just catching up as I got off liberty yesterday. I'm ready to move on to a bigger newer ship.

Oh oh on your go pro. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

One word for GoPro users…tether. I’d shoot time lapse videos from my balcony with a small Gorillapod, but I never really trusted it. I would also attach a safety strap to the camera and tether it to the railing. If the GorillaPod didn’t hold, the whole thing would dangle from the tether until I got back. 

Great advice I will be doing that next time. My Octopus bendable tripod's legs were not long enough to wrap around the railing. May be awhile before I buy another Go Pro. I still have two old ones a Hero 3 and a Hero 7. Guess I could drag those out of mothballs.

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Your knee must be a lot better if you could run to Hitachi. You been doing your rehab well to earn this. 

Just catching up as I got off liberty yesterday. I'm ready to move on to a bigger newer ship.

Oh oh on your go pro. 

I was really disappointed in how my knee did on this trip. It was sore and hurting everyday.

Looking forward to Liberty in two and half weeks.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Here are the souvenir mug that Linda got with the Big Bamboo and the souvenir glass that the owner gave Linda. I thought it was very cool.

6C96970C-563C-46F2-9893-4633B5B1F357.thumb.jpeg.9778e10a56384fcedea8971e7c5884ba.jpeg

They are really cool glasses.   That's extra nice the owner gave that to Linda😀

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

Greg, really enjoying the review so far! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

We too booked our next cabin (a JS this time) right by Central Park so we could enjoy the park more. 

And because of you, I might revisit staying in Miami for our next RCI cruise, instead of FLL. 🙂

On the GoPro, if you bought with a credit card recently, you may want to check and see if the drop is covered on the card. I have a couple with coverage for breaks, if purchased on the card. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Great advice I will be doing that next time. My Octopus bendable tripod's legs were not long enough to wrap around the railing. May be awhile before I buy another Go Pro. I still have two old ones a Hero 3 and a Hero 7. Guess I could drag those out of mothballs.

I was really disappointed in how my knee did on this trip. It was sore and hurting everyday.

Looking forward to Liberty in two and half weeks.

Every day ... and you barely boarded. 5 days to go? Take the elevator and no more running!

• Like 1