Someone Please Tell Carnival how to make Sausage Gravy

audcc77

2 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I doubt the culinary crew on the ship are actually Italian.  Probably mostly Asian like most of the mass market lines.

Unlike most lines, MSC cruises have a majority of European staff (not necessarily Italian, but a lot are). Probably why a lot of people think MSC service is not as good. As of late, it has been reported that they have been hiring more Asians.....and that service is improving. 

Methinks the two are not unrelated.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Okay, is sausage gravy a make or break item on a cruise? If so bring some of this: Libby's Country Sausage Gravy, 15 Ounce, Pack of 12

Then when Carnival eventually cracks down and won't let you bring it on board I can just see people heading over to Amazon to buy Gravy Runners™ 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Okay, is sausage gravy a make or break item on a cruise? If so bring some of this: Libby's Country Sausage Gravy, 15 Ounce, Pack of 12

I never said it was, just that Italians weren't likely making it on MSC.  In fact in over 60 cruises I've not eaten it once.  Cruises from only the South tend to have it, and I never cared to try it because the biscuits on those cruises looked inedible. 

3 hours ago, Rudyard said:

Then when Carnival eventually cracks down and won't let you bring it on board I can just see people heading over to Amazon to buy Gravy Runners™ 

Guests are allowed to bring on board 12 packs of soda, water, and sausage gravy.  😀 

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 10/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, markkw07 said:

Right....and if anyone who has ever been on a cruise has seen who is in the galleys on cruise ships..I can 100% assure you that no one has a “southern” cooking background! If anyone says that's not true...then why are we even discussing the hockey pucks and "sausage gravy" 

Most of the chefs are of Indian background. The food they eat is completely different than 95% of the items they are making. They do a fantastic job though because they are highly skilled in culinary arts. This may be unpopular, but they could run circles around most "cooking styles". It sounds like they just aren't given the proper ingredients to make this slop.

• Like 5

I agree with you. I always find it amazing to see all this food prepared from scratch from so many cooking styles done so well. However, sausage gravy is just sausage, flour, milk and black pepper. I think, like biscuits, it's all about the line dictating the recipe and its preparation. 

Although I'll agree it's slop, it's still a guilty pleasure I sometimes enjoy. But that's the beauty of cruising for foodies of all walks of life. You can have biscuits and gravy for breakfast and Coq a Vin for dinner. 

In school they taught us in history about ships having Hardtack to eat.  Basically a nearly non perishable biscuit that was hard as a rock.   My last cruise a month ago I had the biscuits and just thought they were trying to be historically accurate for some ship food.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

In the Fall and Winter I have this once a week over Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits.  I usually add a bit more pepper when heating up the gravy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Returned from the Dream today. I guess we struck a nerve with someone in Florida. I breakfast dined at "The Gathering" Lido every day for 8 days, No biscuits and gravy any day.  I really wish they would bring them back in a new form. 

3 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

Returned from the Dream today. I guess we struck a nerve with someone in Florida. I breakfast dined at "The Gathering" Lido every day for 8 days, No biscuits and gravy any day.  I really wish they would bring them back in a new form. 

What about bacon? Still every other day?

• 7 months later...

It's with pleasure I revive this thread we thought was long expired. Mr. Heald told a friend of mine the Chefs are working on a new recipe for our biscuits and gravy. He didn't have a timeline, but assured my friend they were coming back. I love trying new foods in the MDR but would rather have my comfort food for breakfast. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeMo said:

It's with pleasure I revive this thread we thought was long expired. Mr. Heald told a friend of mine the Chefs are working on a new recipe for our biscuits and gravy. He didn't have a timeline, but assured my friend they were coming back. I love trying new foods in the MDR but would rather have my comfort food for breakfast. 

Now that would be excellent! 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 4:43 AM, audcc77 said:

I’m on Sunshine. The sausage gravy at the buffet is inedible.  

This ship is in the south and I can’t believe people would eat this. 

Flour, milk and sausage.  How difficult is that?  

It tastes like something that came from one of those $4 breakfast buffets in Florida. 

Shameful.  ☹️

Ist world problems

On 10/27/2022 at 10:52 PM, cruisinpips said:

Being in the deep south doesn’t help…had a great breakfast buffet earlier this year in Miami, which is nearly as far South as possible, but the gravy was like some type of paper mache or wallpaper glue!!
It’s the ability to cook “southern style” that eludes most of these “chefs”!

Miami is not considered southern.   I'm from Flowery Branch, Ga, trust me, I know southern.  🍑😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:48 PM, Rudyard said:

Sausage gravy out of a can???… you gotta be yanking my chain!!! My grandmother and mother would roll over in their graves

1 pound of sausage… spicy is better, gives it taste.

Brown it until there is no pink…Do not drain the grease

Add a tablespoon of butter and let it melt

1/3 cup of AP flour and mix it in until it absorbs the fat

Slowly add 3 cups approx. of whole milk slowly to avoid lumps

Stir until it thickens.

add black pepper and red if you want to.

Add to good biscuits.

I am from South Carolina and Miami is just a Piece  of New York that got lost

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, caribe123 said:

Sausage gravy out of a can???… you gotta be yanking my chain!!! My grandmother and mother would roll over in their graves

1 pound of sausage… spicy is better, gives it taste.

Brown it until there is no pink…Do not drain the grease

Add a tablespoon of butter and let it melt

1/3 cup of AP flour and mix it in until it absorbs the fat

Slowly add 3 cups approx. of whole milk slowly to avoid lumps

Stir until it thickens.

add black pepper and red if you want to.

Add to good biscuits.

I am from South Carolina and Miami is just a Piece  of New York that got lost

Basically use same recipe except use condensed milk.  

• Like 1