Lectures

jaysimulator

In the "Old" days 1990s and early 2000s Norwegian and Princess had lecturers on most cruises.  Even Royal Caribbean also had them but not as many.

We really miss that feature particular during sea days.

On now in 2022 and on what lines have them?  I really get tired of the silly games that the cruise lines are offering under "entertainment".  And speaking of entertainment what has happened to the shows that most lines had 2 or 3 times a week?  Not solo performers but a full cast and live music, not recorded music such as heard on Carnival and not in Los Vegas I hear.

We love cruising but miss the things of the past.  So instead we bring books and Laptops on the cruise to find something reasonably intelligent to do.

I guess I can spend more money and cruise on Cunard and perhaps get what we are looking for but at a much higher cost.

Or maybe Norwegian or Celebrity? Also perhaps Princess but don't care a lot for their food.

One thing I do know, no more on small ships e.g. the Enchantment of the Seas with its poor food, poor entertainment, running out of various food items.  On the last day of a recent cruise they took Orange Juice and diluted about 3 to 1 with water and served it as Orange juice.

Thanks for listening.

Jay

Not sure I  would look to Norwegian or Carnival for what you are seeking. Actual lectures may be limited to certain itineraries on most of the mass market lines, but we've had them on most of our  Celebrity, Princess, and Cunard cruises. And we've had production shows in the theatres on all of those lines.

If you really long for the good old days, then maybe you need to look at HAL.

• Like 1

I've been on 4 NCL cruises, and the only one that had a lecturer was through the Panama Canal. There was a gentleman onboard who was an expert on the canal, and he held lectures every day for an hour. Very interesting. 

You should offer your services - get a free cruise by being a guest lecturer. You seem like a learned person with some experience and wisdom in life. With the traveling you've done and a bit of research, you could likely lecture on a variety of locations, ecosystems, countries, cultures, etc. Bring back the lectures!

We took a HAL transatlantic to the north side of France, ending in Copenhagen. A historian gave one or more lectures on the history of the War(s) in that area. I believe it was a passenger, and I hope that he was compensated!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Not sure I  would look to Norwegian or Carnival for what you are seeking. Actual lectures may be limited to certain itineraries on most of the mass market lines, but we've had them on most of our  Celebrity, Princess, and Cunard cruises. And we've had production shows in the theatres on all of those lines.

If you really long for the good old days, then maybe you need to look at HAL.

Celebrity had nary a lecturer in sight on either of the two BTB cruises I just completed on Constellation in the Med.  Nor was there one in April on Silhouette (Spain, Portugal, France). Somewhat disappointing. 

Seems now that they only rarely appear. I think there is still a naturalist/lecturer on their Alaska cruises. 

I don't think you can count on lecturers on any of the mass market lines, except for a few special itineraries (e.g., perhaps Alaska, perhaps Hawaii....)

If you want lecturers, Cunard would be about your best choice.

Edited to add:  I miss Voyages to Antiquity. They had anywhere from 2-4 guest lecturers onboard and the lectures related to the itinerary sailed. Most of the lecturers were retired professors from well-known universities, mostly British. Not for the belly-flop crowd.

Edited by cruisemom42

3 hours ago, jaysimulator said:

In the "Old" days 1990s and early 2000s Norwegian and Princess had lecturers on most cruises.  Even Royal Caribbean also had them but not as many.

On now in 2022 and on what lines have them?  I really get tired of the silly games that the cruise lines are offering under "entertainment".  And speaking of entertainment what has happened to the shows that most lines had 2 or 3 times a week?  Not solo performers but a full cast and live music, not recorded music such as heard on Carnival and not in Los Vegas I hear.

We love cruising but miss the things of the past.  So instead we bring books and Laptops on the cruise to find something reasonably intelligent to do.

I guess I can spend more money and cruise on Cunard and perhaps get what we are looking for but at a much higher cost.

Or maybe Norwegian or Celebrity? Also perhaps Princess but don't care a lot for their food.

One thing I do know, no more on small ships e.g. the Enchantment of the Seas with its poor food, poor entertainment, running out of various food items.  On the last day of a recent cruise they took Orange Juice and diluted about 3 to 1 with water and served it as Orange juice.

Thanks for listening.

Jay

You should look at Cunard ... we paid no more than 'usual' for a mini-suite on Queen Victoria a couple of years ago.  I heard a talk by the GM of a seriously-high-society London hotel which was just fascinating.  Also a 'demonstration' by an artist who produced very interesting paintings, but it was dismal.  She sat on the stage painting away while her husband babbled on about nothing.  No connectivity whatsoever.  Even if she wasn't going to demonstrate, it would have been interesting to learn how she developed such a unique style.  Very disappointing ... and I suppose that's why cruise lines don't bother any more. 

3 hours ago, jaysimulator said:

Thanks for listening.

Jay

“You get what you pay for.” (Well, sorta.)

The problem with most mass market lines - particularly the “discount” ones - is that cheap cabin prices have little to do with “value” (or quality). In fact, by the time many mass market cruisers add things like beverages (pay for bottled water? Really?), decent food in the extra cost restaurants, booze, excursions, internet, gratuities, AIRFARE et al. (and don’t forget being bombarded by photogs, phony art auctions and “lectures” that are noting more than sales pitches), their final cost may far exceed what would’ve been the all (or mostly) inclusive fare on true premium lines (sorry folks, HAL, Princess and Celebrity may be among the best of the mass market but, they are not value laden “premium” contenders. Even the cruise lines admit it via their introduction of their “ship within a ship” options that can easily cost more than the real thing.

If you want to avoid nickel-diming, thundering herds of thousands of passengers, prom nights, fast food for dinner, etc while adding true informative lectures by experts, daily live entertainment, outstanding crew and space ratios, exotic worldwide itineraries - in essence what mass market TV commercials suggest you’ll find (but don’t), you’re going to need to look at Premium (or even Luxury) cruise lines.

Cheap and value are not the same thing.

• Like 1

Lectures on cruises seems to be a dying trend except for the lengthiest of itineraries.  It was the single form of entertainment we looked forward to even enjoying the after lecture conversation in the lounge.  It was also one of the reasons we enjoyed Holland America.  Now they are moving to multi  media offerings with the cruise director serving as a presenter.  Intellectual curiosity is no longer a desired part of travel, 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Lectures on cruises seems to be a dying trend except for the lengthiest of itineraries.  It was the single form of entertainment we looked forward to even enjoying the after lecture conversation in the lounge.  It was also one of the reasons we enjoyed Holland America.  Now they are moving to multi  media offerings with the cruise director serving as a presenter.  Intellectual curiosity is no longer a desired part of travel, 🤷‍♀️

You are welcome to try the Cunard Line with those features. Lectures on average 2 sessions to each speaker and Q&A afterwards. I don't think Cunard would ever drop this activity. This last sailing in September the theater was 3/4 or more full.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

You are welcome to try the Cunard Line with those features. Lectures on average 2 sessions to each speaker and Q&A afterwards. I don't think Cunard would ever drop this activity. This last sailing in September the theater was 3/4 or more full.

Cunard is on my wish list.  

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm wondering if Viking Ocean does them?  Based on their Viking TV offerings, I'm thinking they might....

Affirmative, on sea days Viking normally present up to 3 lectures per day.

Each ship has a resident Historian, who presents lectures based on the ports of call. They also hold small round table discussions/Q&A sessions. In addition, they can have up to 6 lecturers, all presenting lectures based on the region and ports of call. On longer cruises they may also have a resident wildlife expert and resident astronomer.

• Like 4

I enquired on a P&O cruise about lectures, and it appeared that the cruise had to be more than 10 days including several sea days.

Fred Olsen, a tiny UK line, had lectures about wildlife to be seen on cruises to both Norway and Iceland.

I've heard the most lectures on Transatlantic cruises. Once guests were invited to give a 20 min lecture- details were taken, and three pax a morning gave their talk. 20 minutes was about right for some speakers, but others such as the Air Ambulance crew could have filled an hour or more.

The Afghan veteran who had lost limbs during the war, was invited to do a longer lecture afterwards, and he filled a large room for this.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 3:47 PM, jaysimulator said:

Thanks for listening.

Jay

Guest lecturers on the mass market lines seem to have disappeared.  Last one we had was on a Panama Canal crossing and that was several years ago.  I also recall attending photography workshops.  I enjoyed those and even managed to learn some things (including that my pics weren't going to win any awards).  

You dislike the entertainment, music, and food.   I can't really comment on other than to say, why do something you don't enjoy.   You don't need to put up with a cruise environment you don't like to enjoy a good book.  

Mass market lines appeal to the masses - who seem to want low prices and glitz above all else.   Anyone who experienced cruising before about year 2000 must be hard put to recognize what is now offered.  Well prepared meals, well served, itineraries which included ports not overrun by thousands of budget-minded day-trippers, various types of live music in  various venues, thoughtful lecture programs - keyed to the itinerary of the cruise.   

What is now offered is a totally different product.  Yes, cruising is more affordable  to more people - but only because much less is offered on cruise ships.

While I earlier found value on lines line Princess, HAL and Celebrity I now only see low fares for cruises which are less worthy of my time - and, regardless of the low prices, not worth the fare required.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

How about 'karaoke' lectures? The cruise line makes a suitable space available for guests who volunteer to give a pre-prepared talk. Submit your proposal beforehand and they put together a list of those they think will have some appeal.

Some while back I gave a illustrated talk on the port of Melbourne to our local history group. I'm no expert so am definitely not in the guest lecturer category but it would probably be of interest to some on my Fremantle-Melbourne cruise. I'm sure that on most cruises there are 5-10 people who would like to share their knowledge/experience in a smaller setting and many more who would find this of interest.

• Like 1

On board the QM2 now for an eastbound crossing - there are at least two 'insights' enrichment lectures a day. There are other lectures in odd places - for example yesterday I was in search of a decent wifi signal, and stumbled across an art history lecture in the Queens Room.

The current crossing features Anthony Inglis and the English National Symphony - this is an annual event, and features a passenger chorus performing with the Orchestra on the crossing's last night.

• Like 1

I am guessing that the reasons there are no lectures are

1) The cruise lines don't make any money from lectures.

2) Most mass market cruisers are not interested in attending them because they feel that they are not fun as compared to the other on board recreational activities such as drinking and playing trivia.

DON

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 7:51 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Mass market lines appeal to the masses - who seem to want low prices and glitz above all else.   Anyone who experienced cruising before about year 2000 must be hard put to recognize what is now offered.  Well prepared meals, well served, itineraries which included ports not overrun by thousands of budget-minded day-trippers, various types of live music in  various venues, thoughtful lecture programs - keyed to the itinerary of the cruise.   

What is now offered is a totally different product.  Yes, cruising is more affordable  to more people - but only because much less is offered on cruise ships.

While I earlier found value on lines line Princess, HAL and Celebrity I now only see low fares for cruises which are less worthy of my time - and, regardless of the low prices, not worth the fare required.

Wait, what?  You don't like mass market cruise lines!