Pacific Rim Thread and Suggestions

Lonedaddy

I have seen a lot of comments about Pacific Rim so let's make it easy for Regent reading the boards.  I have eaten there twice and will try on explorer next cruise a couple more times.  One on Chinese New Year.    

Feel free to chime in and of course taste is very subjective. 

Menu below is for reference.

I thought the sashimi and sushi appetizers were done well might make a meal of them and the soft-shell crab (I have had twice, and both were perfect).

I would like to see more rolls and maybe some vegetable and shrimp tempura.

The Dim sum was also done well and would like to see it expanded.  

salads were basic and ok they can keep that on the menu

As far as entrees 

The pork ribs were very dry and chewy, and I agree with some posts that stated the lobster was overcooked and tough. (Either improve the preparation or replace these.)

The tiger prawns we decent but preparation wasn't special - would rather see a kung pao shrimp. 

The miso Black cod was definitely the entree winner.

Haven't tried the bulgogi sirloin may try next time.

They also could add something like Singapore street noodles as DW likes her noodle.

The side dishes were decent, but they are a side not a main course.

image.thumb.png.5957453e02a87179513b7018e984f7d9.png

image.png.c3912f73f8e14ef5a35f02c0d81f0c2f.png

image.png.77891cd114b48843aee299bf3d0ebf6d.png

We enjoyed everything we ordered, but did not include anything from the meat selections (we got that elsewhere) the vegetarian selections (that's a selection of last resort if we don't see anything better) or soups and salads.  But the Miso cod and the Lobster tempura were good, and the appetizers and dim sum were all delicious. We even went back and ordered more. We enjoyed the Asian mushroom, fried rice and fried noodles. And yes, soy sauce and miso are salty, as are many sauces such as Hoisin. Leaving salt out of the sauce isn't going to happen,

We signed up for a wine tasting menu on Splendor that was held in Pacific Rim in the early afternoon. The food was made by the chef, and the host was the head sommelier. It was the best meal we had on our 25 days onboard. And the wine was great too.

• Like 2

In January we were on a half full Explorer cruise so we had the opportunity to go through most of the menu in multiple visits.   Recently we were in quarantine with the ability to order from Pacific Rim through room service, which we did for a couple of nights.  We love Asian cuisine and, other than the miso black cod, I found most of the dishes just OK.  It seemed that the chefs were “dialing it in”.  

I realize that corporate wants consistency in preparation and presentation but this handcuffs a creative, passionate chef.  Perhaps daily specials would increase the wow factor.   

On our last visit to Pacific Rim on board Splendor, getting on for a year ago now, we were fortunate to be offered a Sake pairing with each dish which we found fascinating and very enjoyable.  It seems that this was a one off and subsequently diners have reported that on some occasions, there was no sake available at all, which seems disappointing.  I'd love to know how things are on the sake front generally - are diners offered a pairing or were we just lucky ducks on that evening!?

Since then, we've sailed on Navigator and Voyager, so PR has not been an option, except for the dishes offered on the general CR menu.  We're looking forward to the next opportunity we get and will follow this thread in preparation 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

On our last visit to Pacific Rim on board Splendor, getting on for a year ago now, we were fortunate to be offered a Sake pairing with each dish which we found fascinating and very enjoyable.  It seems that this was a one off and subsequently diners have reported that on some occasions, there was no sake available at all, which seems disappointing.  I'd love to know how things are on the sake front generally - are diners offered a pairing or were we just lucky ducks on that evening!?

Since then, we've sailed on Navigator and Voyager, so PR has not been an option, except for the dishes offered on the general CR menu.  We're looking forward to the next opportunity we get and will follow this thread in preparation 🙂 

We were on Splendor in March and PR was our least favorite dining venue. It did not help that they had zero sake to offer. 

4 hours ago, Gilly said:

PT had sake on Splendor in September but no pairing with courses--just the one.

• Like 1

Just adding our experience on Splendor in May this year. This was the first time we have had the opportunity of trying Pacific Rim and we were looking forward to it.

First, the service was awful. After being shown to our table for two we then had a long wait before anything - water, drinks etc - was offered. Then, after we had finished our starters, the main courses were brought immediately.

For starters we had the soft shell crab - which was good - and the the dim sum, which were tasteless. For mains my wife had the cod - dry and overcooked. I had the duck, which was so overcooked it was inedible.

I can safely say it was the worst meal we have ever had on Regent or, indeed, on any cruise line.

It was so bad we just got up and left and never went back.

When food in all the other venues was so good it was a stark contrast.

And no sake was offered or brought when requested.

Edited by TheRampantSnail
additional comment

@Gpilon @loriva and @TheRampantSnail  it looks as though we were very lucky ducks indeed!!  Wow - hard luck on anyone else to whom we've praised the service and sake pairings, only to find that it was just a one-off  😢   Such a shame....     This is exactly where it would be good to have an authorative voice in the conversation; someone who could offer a description of what is regarded as "standard" here, because it seems like the levels of service and cuisine vary widely and possibly more so than in any other venue on board?

We've eaten in Pacific Rim probably 25 or so times, including a half dozen since cruising resumed.  It is hands down our favorite restaurant on the ship or any ship.  While some meals have been better than others, all were enjoyable experiences.

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

@Gpilon @loriva and @TheRampantSnail  it looks as though we were very lucky ducks indeed!!  Wow - hard luck on anyone else to whom we've praised the service and sake pairings, only to find that it was just a one-off  😢   Such a shame....     This is exactly where it would be good to have an authorative voice in the conversation; someone who could offer a description of what is regarded as "standard" here, because it seems like the levels of service and cuisine vary widely and possibly more so than in any other venue on board?

We found, even aside from no sake, service and food at PR in March were both well below Regent standards. We will be back on Splendor next March for a TA from Miami to Lisbon, and will try PR again one evening. If service and food have not improved, we will avoid a second evening there. 

On the Explorer this January, we had a shrimp tempura appetizer that was really fantastic. Also had a duck entrée that was so tough it was literally inedible, I had to send it back and order another main. 
We will be interested to see if PR ups their game for our Explorer cruise in Japan this April. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

On the Explorer this January, we had a shrimp tempura appetizer that was really fantastic. Also had a duck entrée that was so tough it was literally inedible, I had to send it back and order another main. 
We will be interested to see if PR ups their game for our Explorer cruise in Japan this April. 

I'll let you know as we are on her from NZ to Bali

I can also add the duck was not good.  It was awful!  Actually, I can’t make this up,  our server (who wasn’t that great to begin with) ask how everything was,  I mentioned the overcooked, dry duck.  As she picked up my plate, she stuck her finger into the duck and agreed with me.   I guess that was good - lol!   I did like the sushi, duck spring rolls,  lobster tempura, but overall it was a c+.    How about some Dan Dan noodles.  The sake service was also lackluster.   We did have a champagne luncheon in PR and that was excellent -  I want to see more of that food.   

On 11/8/2022 at 10:02 PM, Portolan said:

So, obviously, opinions differ on PR.  Those that shun it will only make it easier for those of us who like it to get additional reservations, so everyone wins.

I rather see them fix the issues and there are some issues, so everyone would like it.  

5 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

I rather see them fix the issues and there are some issues, so everyone would like it.  

I would rather they serve excellent Asian cuisine, than serve something that everyone would like. Some people just don't like Asian cuisine, and those of us who do should be able to have what we like. There are other restaurants onboard where you can eat if you don't like Asian food.  I don't care for having Italian meals onboard, especially when served family style with lots of bread and pasta. We have eaten at Setta Mari twice in 79  nights onboard, once on our first cruise, and again on our B2Bs at the end of 2019. There was nothing special about either meal (one on Mariner, the other on Voyager) and both times we found there to be too much food, and it was mostly not worth eating. I doubt they would fix Setta Mari so that we would like it, because there are those who love it, and we won't ask for that. So please leave Pacific Rim for those of us who prefer it as our favorite restaurant onboard.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I would rather they serve excellent Asian cuisine, than serve something that everyone would like. Some people just don't like Asian cuisine, and those of us who do should be able to have what we like. There are other restaurants onboard where you can eat if you don't like Asian food.  I don't care for having Italian meals onboard, especially when served family style with lots of bread and pasta. We have eaten at Setta Mari twice in 79  nights onboard, once on our first cruise, and again on our B2Bs at the end of 2019. There was nothing special about either meal (one on Mariner, the other on Voyager) and both times we found there to be too much food, and it was mostly not worth eating. I doubt they would fix Setta Mari so that we would like it, because there are those who love it, and we won't ask for that. So please leave Pacific Rim for those of us who prefer it as our favorite restaurant onboard.

I think you missed my point.  I love Asian food and eat it frequently.  I like all of it spicy,  not spicy, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.  For example, the duck entree was over cooked and dry and quite a few folks in this discussion mention that dish as a problem.  That is what needs to be fixed.   Both times we ate in PR, the service was just Ok,  not up to the level as the other restaurant,  that needs polishing.  Mind you we did a champagne tasting in PR and that food was wonderful!   I would love to see some of those dishes added to the menu.   

8 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Well, if you really like sub-standard Asian food and poor service, Pacific Rim is all yours 

• Haha 2