The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday November 12th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Well what a week for birthdays!  I had four of them in my immediate family, this week, including my son-in-law’s today.  Happy Birthday to @Crazy For Cats ‘ Jake and @StLouisCruisers ‘ son too!  🎂

@rafinmdRoy, so exciting about your 5* pin!  Congratulations!  One time they gave me one I already had.  Gee thanks.  😂  Was sad to have been left a medallion in my room, last month, instead of an awards presentation.  I got over it because my sister didn’t get one so I had great fun rubbing it in.  🥉

It was fantastic reading the posts in Oakridger’s Thread from the people who actually reported the boat in peril and were rescued by the crew of the Rotterdam!  If that’s not a miracle I don’t know what is.

It’s a sunny day today.  Not quite sure what I’ll get up to but I’m sure something needs cleaning.  Have a great day everyone.

Thank you

• Like 8

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Happy Birthday @Crazy For Cats Jake!  

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.4354d04c29fb5ebbafc548e602bedf59.jpg

Also, Happy Birthday to Sandi's @StLouisCruisers son.  

Right now it is nice and sunny out, although a bit cool.  It is supposed to cloud over by noon and then will be downright cold.  But, no matter!  I am comfy cozy in my new home with plenty to do.  

Back in Ohio I had regular service for pest control.  It was pretty good and I never saw a spider or ant the whole time.   In August I told them I wanted to cancel the service as I was moving out of state.  They said they would take care of it.  However, they came out in September anyways.  I recently got a message from them that they would be out November 14th for my next treatment.  I replied back that they were supposed to cancel my service and close my account.  They said ok. Then I received another message that they had cancelled the November 14th service but were waiting to reschedule for another time.  So, I called them.  When I started the service I had signed a one year contract which got me an introductory discount.  I fulfilled the contract for that year and then went by each treatment because I was moving.  The woman in charge of my account said I needed to send them a copy of the purchase agreement for my new house to prove that I had moved to an area they didn't service.  Otherwise, they would be charging me the discount amount for cancelling the service.  I've never heard of such a thing.  My nephew, an attorney, said tell them to try and charge you and good luck in court.  

Fall harvest salad with roasted butternut squash and apple is the only salad recipe you will need this fall and winter. Loaded with roasted butternut squash, fresh crisp apples, bright pomegranate seeds, toasted pumpkin seeds, and tangy feta cheese, this fall salad is tossed with kale and a delicious homemade apple cider vinaigrette. It's healthy, wholesome, nourishing, and filling. Plus, it's a gorgeous and colorful salad to put on your holiday table this year.

https://www.aheadofthyme.com/fall-harvest-salad-with-roasted-butternut-squash-and-pomegranate/

319371373_autumnsquashsalad1.thumb.jpg.6e6992c1eec42dd799932ff83533ec11.jpg

This next one leaves out the kale and uses lettuces.  It also includes dates and a cumin date dressing.   https://www.loveandlemons.com/butternut-squash-salad/

1993899413_autumnsquashsalad2.thumb.jpg.68020d8ce275b937a592c3fb324ddc3b.jpg

Ina Garten uses arugula for the green.  You can add in other greens and lessen the amount of arugula if you like.  https://foolproofliving.com/roasted-butternut-squash-salad-with-warm-cider-vinaigrette/

1714282382_autumnsquashsalad4.jpg.5efd8055f3db3485b9199b51549f5adb.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.   @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope Steve improves by leaps and bounds!  @ottahand7 Thinking about your DB.  Warm thoughts and healing vibes to all with family and friends battling health issues.

Thank you

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Ok, I've searched but cannot find the information about the 3 days.  DH wants to make sure if we take the test on Wednesday it will count.  I know @StLouisCruiserssaid they were testing on Wednesday, but DH is a worry wart.  I want to show him.

Dixie, I got an email from my TA the other day (8th) with an attachment from Holland America reinforcing the vaccination and testing requirements.  I'll copy and paste the testing info for him.

Guests ages 5 and above must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically observed PCR or antigen test) taken within three days before cruise embarkation.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Dixie, I got an email from my TA the other day (8th) with an attachment from Holland America reinforcing the vaccination and testing requirements.  I'll copy and paste the testing info for him.

Guests ages 5 and above must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically observed PCR or antigen test) taken within three days before cruise embarkation.

I got that too but he is looking for the document that says Wednesday is fine.   I guess we will do it on Thursday. 

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 7

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Not really a French dip fan. Pneumonia can be deadly and all who can should get vaccinated. I'll drink to Happy Hour! (theoretically, still doing no alcohol). Camus can be hard to interpret.

I'll pass on the meal and wine. The drink sounds good,

I haven't been to Fukuoka or anywhere in Japan.

We got almost 2.5" of rain yesterday! Today it's cloudy and cool. No specific plans, but I do need to do some trying on and laying out of stuff for my trip.

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to DS! And DD is very talented.

@rafinmd My condolences on the passing of Firefighter Andy. And congrats on reaching 5-star Mariner!

@lindaler Looks like a fun time in Mobile. Good luck with the chili cook-off.

@Crazy For Cats Happy Birthday Jake! 

@marshhawk Thinking of you today as you go to Shari's life celebration. 

@ottahand7 I hope DB is starting to feel better.

@Seasick Sailor I needed that reminder to turn off the water to the outside spigots and put the covers on outside! I keep forgetting to do it.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

I like French Dip sandwiches, but can't remember the last time I had one.  Pneumonia awareness is important. I always think of the phrase "Pneumonia the old person's friend" because in the case of both my parents, pneumonia is how their lives ended 😞  Not sure it could be called a friend, but it is what ended their suffering.  I know a lot of us are up for celebrating Happy Hour.

Although the photos in the recipes look really good, I'm not a fan of squash so will pass on the meal today.  The drink sounds good, and Pine Ridge is one of my favorite wines, we always have it in the house.  We were pleasantly surprised on our cruise last/this month to see it on the wine package list.

@StLouisCruisersSandi Happy Birthday to your son!

@rafinmd Condolences to the family and friends of Andy.  Congratulations on making 5-Star!

@Crazy For CatsJake Happy Birthday!

@*Miss G*Happy Birthday to your son-in-law!

@dfishDebbie the people at the pest control company have a screw loose to expect you to give them a copy of your purchase agreement.  Totally nuts IMO.  That makes no sense at all.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday from SE AZ where it is chilly and warming up to about 72F. This morning was yard day and the worker came early which is really nice. He found a water drip leak, seems like we have one every few months. Craig has replaced a lot but not the side yard where it was discovered. 

I am feeling better today and think I’m on the mend. I took another covid test last night just to be sure and it was negative. 

I absolutely love French Dips and make my own using deli roast beef and use consume soup as the dipper. Yum. I’ll have to get the ingredients. BTW Graham @grapau27, the accompaniments in the article you posted might sometimes be served with the sandwich, but here it’s always French Fries and possibly a pickle. I do like cheese on mine and sometimes add sautéed mushrooms and onions. 

Debbie @dfish, thank you for the recipes today. Here’s another Ina Garten recipe in case anyone is interested. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-beet-butternut-squash-and-apple-salad-5498505. It was on just this morning, the episode was Thanksgiving sides. 

Jake @Crazy For Cats — Happy Birthday!  Enjoy your special day — extra special spent on a BHB!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, Happy Birthday to your DS!  Also those ornaments from your DD are beautiful!

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Spelling
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

We were in Fukuoka with the Volendam in 2017 but because we were shanghaied in Shanghai  ( The authorities kept the Volendam completely locked up in port for an extra fourth day which is a long story for another day , we could not get off the ship that day  )  On Nov 1st I had set up a small group walking tour and later went exploring on our own for the afternoon  . 

We started the walking tour from the Nakasu subway station and visited the Jotenji Temple , the Tochoji Temple , the Hakata Folk Museum and the Kushida Shrine .

image.jpeg.ff17a470489d8ee7e01f6d721a307fff.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b45825dcde516e5c055edc4daa4ae22.jpeg

image.jpeg.b1863603be93b6481b504f45fbce76f2.jpeg

image.jpeg.f6ab8e84c2a634d6236eafc870cdc5bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b63b4e14ae4fd47e4fc50bf886b13a0.jpeg

image.jpeg.95e6147128737fa596f8b2bce42885fa.jpeg

image.jpeg.ee226f00c44a89c6e3abcb2ba8190896.jpeg

image.jpeg.9ff16b8a0e2fe941cba2f78c8194bab0.jpeg

image.jpeg.a1bcc616d0646be254944be924b73a52.jpeg

Mom who are those strangers ……….. the little girl actually started to cry ......
image.jpeg.977a29c141e86ba4086408aef231c240.jpeg

After a nice Japanese lunch we went exploring on our own by subway to the beautiful Ohori Park and the Japanese Gardens …….. had to ask for instructions to get on the subway in sign language ………it was surprising to me how few Japanese people speak any English .

image.jpeg.c764586ef9855d3fa865f3a45491285b.jpeg

We did it ….

image.jpeg.bcc8b077a0c5305ef3e205c041ddab85.jpeg

image.jpeg.498b7bb77634e4e842fb4a8d19e3244c.jpeg

image.jpeg.2fe51de668726df0bc717401c77392ff.jpeg

Young lady celebrating a very special occasion in the Japanese Garden it was a special birthday or graduation .

image.jpeg.4de07da1b181082f1ce3dedd17086424.jpeg

image.jpeg.6beece0855a943b0570ffbd0817b722d.jpeg

image.jpeg.aace24281dddbb0a77b073f56acfc446.jpeg

…..and a very nice day was had by all , despite  this major change in our schedule .

Their husbands were also on my tour , but I  thought this was a nice picture ! 

Tony 😃

IMG_6122.jpg

DSCN5093.JPG

DSCN5102.JPG

DSCN5104.JPG

DSCN5118.jpg

DSCN5121 2.jpg

DSCN5134.JPG

DSCN5162.JPG

DSCN5176.jpg

DSCN5160.jpg

DSCN5173.JPG

Edited by sailingdutchy
clean up post
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I wish we didn't have that test to do either!  We're doing ours Wednesday because Thursday is so packed with last minute stuff.  It says 3 days so Wednesday should be alright I guess.

Anyone have any opinions on driving I-95 south (especially after Nicole) to get to Ft. Lauderdale?  Is the road clear?  Are there often traffic jams?  Any suggestions on side roads in case something like that happens and causes delays?

You may want to take the Florida turnpike if you are coming from the Atlanta area and then head over to the east coast when it splits around Orlando.  Just check that your electronic pass works on the turnpike. We find it a much easier drive coming from the Atlanta area and all of our friends who live by us in South Florida also always take the turnpike vs 95.  If you live on the Georgia coast then obviously 95 will work for you but if it backs up around Jupiter you can. head over to the turnpike which parallels 95 but then goes to Fort Lauderdale. Try to avoid rush hour which starts around 3 PM in South Florida because at that time all the roads are a mess.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We leave one week from today for Rome, 8 days there and then board the Island Princess for the TA. Suitcases are mostly packed with weight and room to spare but the last-minute list is getting longer. Hope it all fits. 

Update to the summer's Lemonade Pie. If you like eggnog, you might enjoy this version.

Small package of Jello vanilla instant pudding mix, 1 2/3 cup of eggnog, mix well and then add a bit of rum extract and fresh grated nutmeg. Blend in 1 3/4 cup of thawed Cool Whip and chill. The store was out of the premade graham cracker crusts so I got the Keebler shortbread crust. Yum!

Enjoy the weekend.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
We were in Fukuoka with the Volendam in 2017 but because we were shanghaied in Shanghai  ( The authorities kept the Volendam completely locked up in port for an extra fourth day which is a long story for another day , we could not get off the ship that day  )  On Nov 1st I had set up a small group walking tour and later went exploring on our own for the afternoon  . 

We started the walking tour from the Nakasu subway station and visited the Jotenji Temple , the Tochoji Temple , the Hakata Folk Museum and the Kushida Shrine .

image.jpeg.ff17a470489d8ee7e01f6d721a307fff.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b45825dcde516e5c055edc4daa4ae22.jpeg

image.jpeg.b1863603be93b6481b504f45fbce76f2.jpeg

image.jpeg.f6ab8e84c2a634d6236eafc870cdc5bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b63b4e14ae4fd47e4fc50bf886b13a0.jpeg

image.jpeg.95e6147128737fa596f8b2bce42885fa.jpeg

image.jpeg.ee226f00c44a89c6e3abcb2ba8190896.jpeg

image.jpeg.9ff16b8a0e2fe941cba2f78c8194bab0.jpeg

image.jpeg.a1bcc616d0646be254944be924b73a52.jpeg

Mom who are those strangers ……….. the little girl actually started to cry ......
image.jpeg.977a29c141e86ba4086408aef231c240.jpeg

After a nice Japanese lunch we went exploring on our own by subway to the beautiful Ohori Park and the Japanese Gardens …….. had to ask for instructions to get on the subway in sign language ………it was surprising to me how few Japanese people speak any English .

image.jpeg.c764586ef9855d3fa865f3a45491285b.jpeg

We did it ….

image.jpeg.bcc8b077a0c5305ef3e205c041ddab85.jpeg

image.jpeg.498b7bb77634e4e842fb4a8d19e3244c.jpeg

image.jpeg.2fe51de668726df0bc717401c77392ff.jpeg

Young lady celebrating a very special occasion in the Japanese Garden it was a special birthday or graduation .

image.jpeg.4de07da1b181082f1ce3dedd17086424.jpeg

image.jpeg.6beece0855a943b0570ffbd0817b722d.jpeg

image.jpeg.aace24281dddbb0a77b073f56acfc446.jpeg

…..and a very nice day was had by all , despite  this major change in our schedule .

Their husbands were also on my tour , but I  thought this was a nice picture ! 

Tony 😃

IMG_6122.jpg

DSCN5093.JPG

DSCN5102.JPG

DSCN5104.JPG

DSCN5118.jpg

DSCN5121 2.jpg

DSCN5134.JPG

DSCN5162.JPG

DSCN5176.jpg

DSCN5160.jpg

DSCN5173.JPG

Great photos.

• Like 6

Good Morning from the Noordam

Spent a great day in Sydney yesterday. There was a shuttle to Darling Harbor and we walked from there. Weather was perfect .

We are wearing masks again for the next 3 days and then all will be tested again. There was some issue with a Princess ship and high covid numbers. Not sure how accurate so I am not going to repeat it. There was a reporter outside the terminal and there was a news helicopter flying overhead as we were leaving port. Princess was still there.

We had some staff changes including the CD. That one was ok. She was not a good fit and needs more training. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 17

I was in Fukuoka the first time in 1960.  I was on a ship at Yokosuka and had to go home on emergency leave.  Took a train to Fukuoka and at the time there was Itazuki AFB there where I was able to fly home.  It was an interesting train ride.  At that time there were a lot of protests in Japan about U.S. nuclear ships.  I was wearing my Navy uniform and when the train stopped at a small city a lot of men boarded wearing clothing with some type of Japanese emblems on them.  One of the leaders of the group decided to sit next to me.  I thought sure there was going to be a "situation" as I was the lone American on the train.  Come to find out, he wanted to sit next to me because he wanted to practice his English and the emblems they were wearing represented their factory.  They were all going to a factory sponsored outing.  Incidentally, Itazuke AFB was turned over to Japan in 1971 and is now the Fukuoka Airport.

Ray

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from the Noordam

Spent a great day in Sydney yesterday. There was a shuttle to Darling Harbor and we walked from there. Weather was perfect .

We are wearing masks again for the next 3 days and then all will be tested again. There was some issue with a Princess ship and high covid numbers. Not sure how accurate so I am not going to repeat it. There was a reporter outside the terminal and there was a news helicopter flying overhead as we were leaving port. Princess was still there.

We had some staff changes including the CD. That one was ok. She was not a good fit and needs more training. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

We heard about the problems Princess is having in Sydney Australia  with hundreds of Covid positives on board ship .........wonder if they caught it in Australia or it was already on board .

Please take care and enjoy your cruise @cunnorl

• Like 14