Premium Dessert Package

Shelly97060

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Those of us you use 6-10 drinks a day make out well with the plus package.

29 minutes ago, dog said:

-minibar set up covers any alcohol wanted

And this is the issue I have with the Packages.  It really is all about the alcohol.  If a person averages 4+ drinks per day, every day, the Packages are a value.  But not everyone does that.  And it is hard to make the Packages pay off for anyone who doesn't drink, drinks lightly, or already gets a minibar setup.  Princess, if you are listening...what I would like to see is Princess list all of its offerings, (All Inclusive Bev Package; wi-fi; Gratuities; Desserts; Fitness Classes; Private Yoga Instruction; Photo Packages; Two Specialty Dining Reservations; a Meet and Greet with a Pirate and Fortuna Luck; and whatever else they can think of) and then have a program where guests can choose any three items, bundle them together, and get 40% off the list price.  That way EVERYONE gets to see a benefit from bundling the "extras" and not just people who consume alcohol at a rate of 4 drinks per day.  Rant over.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, arctickitty said:

When I saw mention of premium desserts I wasn’t picturing gelato sundaes…I thought they were going the route of making fancier desserts like Chocolate Journeys the “premium” desserts.

A couple theories…

Their aim is to encourage spending by creating FOMO

In order to convince us that the new Princess Plus and Princess Premier are worth the money, they put a price on the premium desserts.

and two opinions…

If we have Live From threads with cruisers who can easily drink their 15 alcohols per day, with pictures of each cocktail, might we not have future Live Froms or trip reports from cruisers who eat two Premium Desserts per day (or more, if they have Princess Premier…

It seems to me the dessert package might only appeal to someone who doesn’t eat in the MDRs.  The lunch menus have several flavors of made on board ice cream and the dinner menus have make your own sundaes consistently.  Even the less fancy shops without a Gelateria still have free soft serve.

lol i do not have FOMO over 2 humongous gelato sundaes per day!   and i love the gelato, but i only got it 3 times on my recent 10 day cruise. spent something like $7 total.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Prior to beverage packages we had ridiculous bills in leaving the ship. Those of us you use 6-10 drinks a day make out well with the plus package. Even at $8 per drink for basic cocktails we would be paying a fortune if we paid drink by drink. Not to even mention grats and wifi

Agreed , we always used to have ridiculous bills at the end of the voyage. A nasty shock after longer cruises. So packages are the way to go for us but not these dessert or fitness classes. We have a 35 night voyage in 2024 with the premier package. Now they are offering the "new" package upgrade for a mere $700 extra. No thanks, cheers, Buzz.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BuzzBuzzen said:

Agreed , we always used to have ridiculous bills at the end of the voyage. A nasty shock after longer cruises. So packages are the way to go for us but not these dessert or fitness classes. We have a 35 night voyage in 2024 with the premier package. Now they are offering the "new" package upgrade for a mere $700 extra. No thanks, cheers, Buzz.

We have club class so not looking for extra speciality restaurants or desserts or fitness classes with my hip and knee replacements 

• Like 1

I’m curious as to what the premium desserts will be😃.  I am good with the gelato but would like other options.  I never got the gelato since it was extra and I am cheap.  I wish they would still have gelato choices at dinner but now only lunch. It looks like they are picking up on X on special dining rooms for different classes.  I think a specialty dining package would work out well especially on the larger ships.  

They can just get screwed. Moving further and further away from an all inclusive holiday.. and more and more into a nickel & dime scenario. Have got 3 future cruises booked.. but the more I read about how the industry is heading.. the more I think travelling by land is probably going to be a better option. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

They can just get screwed. Moving further and further away from an all inclusive holiday.. and more and more into a nickel & dime scenario. Have got 3 future cruises booked.. but the more I read about how the industry is heading.. the more I think travelling by land is probably going to be a better option. 

Same here.  Pricing now has convinced us to switch to land based packages.  We do have some version of a package from when we booked quite some time ago.  After that, we are switching to land based packages.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Are these special desserts something new?  I don't recall seeing them on past Princess cruises either free or for an additional cost.  Seems there was a Gelateria, but I may be thinking of a different cruise line.  

12 hours ago, FritzG said:

After over 30 cruises with Princess I’m afraid this is the beginning of a slippery slope.  What’s next?  A charge for sharp knives in the dining room?  

I must admit I have never yet received a sharp knife so that may well be an "upgrade" that is offered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Are these special desserts something new?  I don't recall seeing them on past Princess cruises either free or for an additional cost.  Seems there was a Gelateria, but I may be thinking of a different cruise line.  

From the pictures I have seen, they look to be brand new. They also appear to be pre-made ie bought in pre-frozen and served up with a final last minute "added touch" to give a home made feel.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 7:34 PM, Oakman58 said:

It is included with the Princess Plus package and the Princess Premier has unlimited premium desserts.

I just booked a cruise today with the Princess Plus Package and will get 2 premium desserts per day.

And after your cruise, please let us know how many you actually had during the cruise.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

My 1st thought was that you had to be joking about an $11 per day premium dessert package but you aren't.  Wonder how many of them they sell?

DON

If the premium desserts are anything like in the photos, I can't see this being a successful package.  Even for families with kids/teens.  The desserts just look way over the top and there are already many other regular dessert options at Swirls, International Cafe, Buffet, MDR.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Your comment has left me curious. On purpose or unintentionally?

Accidentally. More walking than normal and, unlike the so called "average" cruiser, I really don't eat a lot. I get full quickly and find dinner in MDR to be more than plenty of food. In the buffet my plate is never real full and I have plenty of food.

At home I get almost zero exercise due to physical issues so walking around the ship, occasionally using the stairs (pain level permitting), walking while on excursions, etc. burns more calories than usual. I did consume a fair amount of alcohol calories but nothing like I used to do. Age and medication require a more moderate intake.

My wife and I are planning to consciously reduce our caloric intake soon. One of this oft-anticipated but rarely fulfilled New Year's Resolutions. Time will tell if we manage to adhere to the plan.

• Like 7

On 12/20/2022 at 8:06 AM, FritzG said:

After over 30 cruises with Princess I’m afraid this is the beginning of a slippery slope.  What’s next?  A charge for sharp knives in the dining room?  

An upcharge for decent, sharp knives in the dining room might actually get me to shell out for it. Their knives suck.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Only because the steaks are tough.

I haven't always had a perfect steak on Princess, but what I do say is that the steaks have mostly been very good to good, while the knives have nearly always been really bad. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

• Like 2

I hope that they don’t cut back on food storage capacity for all the extra Insulin they are going to have stock for those Premium desserts. Hopefully they don’t up charge for Supposed premium entertainment.  I better stop before I give them anymore ideas

Even with all this craziness you still gotta love cruising!

• Like 1