“Ambush” style of new charges!

luv4cruises

We were on Edge in August and Apex in December.  Both times in Aqua class.  We were able to order of main dining menus if we were not happy with the Blu selection.  I had a showere cap in my cabin on the Edge but not Apex.  I asked and several were brought to the cabin.  We did have tote bags on both cruises.  The only thing I noticed different on the December cruise was on Lobster night and they also served filet mignon….you could not make it surf and turf and have it served on the same plate.  They had to bring it out on separate plates but then you could move it to the same plate.  Kind of odd.  

• Like 2

You need to vote with your feet and leave Celebrity. We did.  Viking and Oceania. 

We do have a company June Celebrity cruise otherwise we have not looked back after

around 20 something Celebrity cruises.  

I know Viking and Oceania are more but the experience and everything else Viking does is night and day better. Well worth it to us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

That's not even close to the actual (non-move up bid) cost of an EV or Iconic (wouldn't ever do a PH or RS, or an older than Edge ship).

And yes, perhaps surprising, some can afford it.

Yes, I know, I just returned from 2 weeks in the EV

1 minute ago, Tigerfnan23 said:

I understand Aqua class guests are carried about in palanquins so that their feet never have to touch any areas frequented by the common class.  Can you please confirm this upon your return? 

Celebrity begs me to book a suite but I don’t want to shove the pseudo riche out of the way when lining up for the Retreat Lounge.  I do Aqua so I can pretend to be one of the commoners.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

discontinuing of Blu option to order from full MDR menu,

-  not a Blu fan but if booking Blu for the food selection, why order from MDR

This, I have never understood this.  I am a fan of Blu...if the menu doesn't suit me, I'll eat elsewhere.  

And 2 weeks ago we could order from the full MDR menu, so it is not on every ship that this has been discontinued.

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Yes, I know, I just returned from 2 weeks in the EV

Tell CC. If I do an upgrade at this point, I'll end up going into an inside cabin!

10 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

For one when I have been in Aqua - French Onion Soup and other popular items have not been on the Blu Menu. Also Blu also has a more”exotic” menu that does not always appeal to me. The ability to enjoy the beautiful Blu ambience with expanded menu options was valued by me. 

French onion soup, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, French fries, baked potatoes and  and a few other items have never been “on the menu” in Blu but have always been available as far back as our first Celebrity cruise in 2012.   They have those dishes in the kitchen in Blu unlike MDR entrees which are only prepared in the MDR kitchen.  On a S class ship getting a entree from the MDR requires sending a waiter from Blu (aft) to mid ship and down  3  decks to get the dish and then back to Blu.  

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The changes took place January 1st. What happened 2 weeks ago is irrelevant (unfortunately). 

There have been reports this week of people in Blu not being able to order off the MDR menu??  I must have missed those posts.  I have heard the opposite from people on ships right now.

Wow, not even a month to my next cruise on X, and first since Covid, and honestly I sort of wish I could do something else. (Too late)

So tired of reading stuff like this all the time, both on CC and elsewhere. Which is not to say I don’t appreciate the discussion. I hate nickel and diming and my cruise fare was actually fairly high compared to what I’ve paid historically, so my expectations are still fairly high and largely based on past (pre-Covid) cruises. The reality is my expectations likely won’t be met, it’s just a question of by how much.

Hope this sort of talk is all more smoke than fire and the fundamental product is still solid, but if not, bye bye X. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tigerfnan23 said:

I understand Aqua class guests are carried about in palanquins so that their feet never have to touch any areas frequented by the common class.  Can you please confirm this upon your return? 

I beg to differ. I believe if you're Aqua Class you walk on water.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

A pervasive issues on Cruise Critic is that this is a place where brand fanatics obviously will congregate, and that in and of itself is fine.  However, whenever anyone talks about a trend or overall decline they tend to be challenged to provide specific dates, ships, examples, etc. and when they do, fanatics poke holes in the examples and bypass the entire argument. It's a very subtle way to test the bonafides of the poster and then try to undermine their credibility and dismiss their opinions.

I will never understand those that pay for A, B, C, D, E, yet when they get A, B, C, D and E is missing, are okay with it.  Or they agree to pay for A, B, C, D, E and then find out it really will cost another 20-40% to get what they had bargained for, and are okay with it. Being okay with everything that reduces what you had signed up for, or charges you more, is a major disservice to yourself and others. 

The fanatics should be the ones most able to recognize the changes; newbies won't know the difference. And for the amount of time and money spent by the fanatics, they should hold some sway with upper management and hold them accountable to maintain or increase standards; if prices increase standards need to in lock step. The longest time customers should feel disrespected by the rapid degradation of a product they are accustomed to and spend a LOT of money on. There is no need to give corporations a free pass when you get less out of a deal. 

Diminishing standards and increasing costs is not the road to Valhalla for 99.99% of paying customers. 

In the top Five of the best post ever, I have seen on CC!!!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Chardonnay Char said:

To repeat the question from above,  has anyone on a current sailing tried to order MDR while in Blu?   I had not seen this either, and some of the Blu offerings are just "too healthy" for me. Duck salad for dinner is not my cup of tea, at least on a cruise.

I ordered from MDR menu while dining in Bu on Solstice on Dec 25, 2022 — less than two weeks ago.  And for several days before that.

16 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I am a chronic over-packer, so the lack of bathroom amenities really didn't matter. Although oatmeal raisin cookies are our X favorite, they aren't a deal breaker. The lunch offerings in OVC, although fewer didn't affect us too much except for requiring us to walk around a bit more to find what we wanted. That walking was a bonus since we didn't make it to the gym. The tea offerings we did miss, but perhaps their absence contributed to a lower weight gain during the cruise. Once I told them how to make a Frozen Toasted Almond they managed to get it right. If they hadn't that might be another story.😜

What recipe did you give them for the frozen toasted almond? It sounds so tasty but all the recipes I found on-line contain a scoop of icecream: I presume the bars on Celebrity don't stock ice cream to add to the drinks?!

Edited by KatieDub

4 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I ordered from MDR menu while dining in Bu on Solstice on Dec 25, 2022 — less than two weeks ago.  And for several days before that.

The changes went into effect January 1st. Experiences that happened before then are irrelevant. Unfortunately.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

With more than 50 cruises on 6 different cruise lines Celebrity had become my favorite! As cruising resumed we have experienced cutbacks on Celebrity and other cruise lines. On Celebrity - no welcome aboard champagne, no cabin tote bags, reduced MDR menu, smaller portions, most recently 9.95 + gratuities charge for room service, reduced classics’ menu, discontinuing of Blu option to order from full MDR menu, elimination of canapés for Aqua guests, charge for second lobster, reduced dinner offerings in Ocean View cafe, minimal bathroom products. Add to that  rapidly escalating prices- a$1,000.00increase in 1 month for a 6 day 2024 cruise we were planning to book after Thanksgiving and tried to book after Christmas!  None of the cutbacks alone is any big deal but the TREND is!!!!
Most importantly the manner in which these changes are being rolled  out feels like an ambush to me. No prior notification We have 3 future cruises booked. What Celebrity is delivering is NOT the product we purchased. We are not being treated as valued, loyal guests.  I’m sure if I read the contract  there will be clauses that justify their changes and charges. That is not the point. I always felt Celebrity was classy, a step above Princess and HAL. Modern luxury is on its way out as Celebrity joins the nickel and dime cruise lines. What is next?  Read the boards - your main source of info. 

First thing. Great title for this thread “Ambush” style of new charges! I love it!

Second thing. If Celebrity is not treating you as well as you expected, cancel your upcoming cruises and find another cruise line to sail with. Of course, all of the cruise lines are as Loyal to their customers as your pet cat is to you. Which means not very. But hey, you might find one. Or switch your discretionary vacation spending to another vacation type. There are lots out there. 

Modern Luxury was always just a marketing slogan which did not mean anything. I can't remember when they started using it but it wasn't Modern Luxury, 2013, or Modern Luxury, 2010 where they would have to keep the Modern Luxury at that level, it was just Modern Luxury.  So, welcome to Modern Luxury, 2023. 🙁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

A pervasive issues on Cruise Critic is that this is a place where brand fanatics obviously will congregate, and that in and of itself is fine.  However, whenever anyone talks about a trend or overall decline they tend to be challenged to provide specific dates, ships, examples, etc. and when they do, fanatics poke holes in the examples and bypass the entire argument. It's a very subtle way to test the bonafides of the poster and then try to undermine their credibility and dismiss their opinions.

I will never understand those that pay for A, B, C, D, E, yet when they get A, B, C, D and E is missing, are okay with it.  Or they agree to pay for A, B, C, D, E and then find out it really will cost another 20-40% to get what they had bargained for, and are okay with it. Being okay with everything that reduces what you had signed up for, or charges you more, is a major disservice to yourself and others. 

The fanatics should be the ones most able to recognize the changes; newbies won't know the difference. And for the amount of time and money spent by the fanatics, they should hold some sway with upper management and hold them accountable to maintain or increase standards; if prices increase standards need to in lock step. The longest time customers should feel disrespected by the rapid degradation of a product they are accustomed to and spend a LOT of money on. There is no need to give corporations a free pass when you get less out of a deal. 

Diminishing standards and increasing costs is not the road to Valhalla for 99.99% of paying customers. 

It's death by 1000 cuts, yet there are factions who actually try to shame those who are disappointed (or more) at the changes.   Those would be the 'You should be happy you're on a ship' people when people mention that the premium beverage package provides a fraction of the sold bill of goods. 

Some cuts are not very deep while some are more than mere flesh wounds.  It's easy to dismiss those minor items that don't affect you personally (like seriously, I have never tried an oatmeal raisin cookie on X), or to justify the reduced service/offerings that are apparent when significant portions of the buffet are not being used (e.g. the entire rear serving area and at least one 'island' on the Edge were unused...but that's fine because the ship isn't full, right?), or the room service charges, or the lobster charges, or the missing embarkation 'champagne', or.... 

Those cutbacks are more than a little tough to swallow when Celebrity is also massively increasing prices to where their balconies are priced at least 30-40% higher than Princess or Holland (or any other mainstream line), and when Suite prices are in the company of ACTUAL luxury lines.

For the first time in almost 10 years, we don't have a single future cruise booked with Celebrity.  

Instead, we have multiple cruises booked on Princess.  Sure, we're Princess virgins, and we might find that we overall prefer Celebrity, but I highly doubt we'll wish we had paid thousands more for X.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2