Are cruise prices insanely high right now?

bmarts

Have a trip planned for 2023 but was looking to book another for 2024 as well. It seems since I booked my 2023 cruise, prices have nearly doubled for similar sailing even with the current sale. Is this a bad time of the year to book?

• Like 1

I just priced a 9nt on liberty a couple of days ago. 12k for  4  in 2 balcony cabins, RCI has to be on something with those prices. I used to  say cruising is the most cost effective way to see the world. Doesn't look the case any more. At these prices they need to make it more of an all inclusive, and stop nickel and dime me to death. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I remember, not that long ago, when I would by liquor on board to take home and save quite a bit. Now i can go to Total Wine and beat their prices.

Yes, about 2018, I noticed that the prices in most cases were only 15% difference and airlines would charge an additional fee of $45 for the case taking space as a carry on. Then you also have to be concerned if it reached certain alcohol percentages for flammability.

Not worth the hassle for me.

11 hours ago, silentbob007 said:

Partly time of year issues, but we are looking at balconies for the price we previously were able to get full suites.  When I got a quote back of $17,000 for a grand suite on Icon, I just laughed.

No one should be surprised that Icon is heavily marked up.

When prices for a Royal Caribbean cruise gets close to a Disney cruise, it’s makes going on a Disney cruise the obvious choice.  The quality, service and experience on Disney is epic compared to Royal Caribbean.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vibe said:

When prices for a Royal Caribbean cruise gets close to a Disney cruise, it’s makes going on a Disney cruise the obvious choice.  The quality, service and experience on Disney is epic compared to Royal Caribbean.

The DD just went on Disney and said it was so much better then Royal.  So I agree, if the prices get too high Disney will be worth looking at.  I just wouldn’t go on school breaks to cut down on the kids.  Of course Disney may raise prices too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vision14k said:

We will be trying a Disney cruise upcoming due to the high prices of royal… makes it worth it now.

I just went and priced a Disney cruise that is the same cabin class (suite), length and dates as an RC cruise I have booked in July.

RC price: $5,400

Disney price: $16,000

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I booked an 8-night cruise in summer 2024 in a GS for $3500 for 3. That's cheap.

I've got my eye on a 5-night cruise in fall 2023 in a GS that's quite cheap, too.

Deals are most certainly out there.

I've booked clients in an A1 Star class with 4 in a cabin for less than 10K on Harmony out of Galveston...seems like a good deal to me.

Check out Anthem out of Bayonne...very reasonable pricing...or Adventure out of PC.  Like you said, deals are out there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We have never sailed Disney, but have multiple sets of friends that have, and that would sail Royal or even NCL instead of Disney given the same price.

I've not sailed Disney because I'm not a "Disney adult" nor do I have kids so I feel like the high price tag isn't worth it for someone like me...but it may be for some, idk...they do want an enormous amount tho for sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, teacherman said:

Who is insane?   The person who sets the price, or the person who agrees to pay the price for something they don't necessarily need?   (depending of course on your definition of "need")

This is the nucleus of the question: What are you willing to pay for a vacation experience that will satisfy your needs?