Luminae Menu cutbacks?

Cruising Princess

Without specific examples, you’re just fueling speculation.  Can you provide some of what had changed?  Could it be that you had a different rotation of menus?  I’m sure with what else is going in, a Luminae wouldn’t be exempted but would be great to see what those changes are.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

When we were on the Beyond in December we noticed they made significant changes to the suite lunch and dinner menus. Not all good changes. We were told they made these changes on all of the E-class ships.

Since then has anyone seen changes to the Luminae menus on the other class ships?

Drop and run?!?!  Maybe provide some specifics.

We were on the Beyond last week staying in a S1 cabin (corner aft, deck 12). Both of us noticed considerable food cutbacks. The portion sizes in Luminae were reduced, with just very small servings of sides (veggies, etc.), the sides that were included were more for looks than complete sides. The biggest cutback was in the size of the desserts, nothing all that special and many times could be found the next day in the buffet. I need not need big desserts, but the reductions were obvious. Note that the menus may look the same as previous Cruises, but that can be deceiving. 

As usual the service was great and very friendly. The food cuts, even though deep, were not bad enough to cancel our 11 day Beyond cruise January 2024.

We also went to Eden and Le Voyage. Eden was so so, but with nice view. Le Voyage was outstanding and was the special meal of the week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sptrout said:

The portion sizes in Luminae were reduced, with just very small servings of sides (veggies, etc.), the sides that were included were more for looks than complete sides. The biggest cutback was in the size of the desserts...

OP specifically referred to changes to lunch and dinner menus. Did you notice any changes to the menus?

On our upcoming constellation cruise 2/13 the lobster roll on embarkation lunch is no longer available 🙁. I’m still hoping it will be there on the day. 

I have also noticed menu changes for our sailing in the last week or so but I can’t remember specifics. 

CC667B0B-1B95-458F-84C9-C496A772B9CE.png

18 minutes ago, sptrout said:

We were on the Beyond last week staying in a S1 cabin (corner aft, deck 12). Both of us noticed considerable food cutbacks. The portion sizes in Luminae were reduced, with just very small servings of sides (veggies, etc.), the sides that were included were more for looks than complete sides. The biggest cutback was in the size of the desserts, nothing all that special and many times could be found the next day in the buffet. I need not need big desserts, but the reductions were obvious. Note that the menus may look the same as previous Cruises, but that can be deceiving. 

As usual the service was great and very friendly. The food cuts, even though deep, were not bad enough to cancel our 11 day Beyond cruise January 2024.

We also went to Eden and Le Voyage. Eden was so so, but with nice view. Le Voyage was outstanding and was the special meal of the week.

Easy way around reduced portion size is to ask for double size veggies or whatever.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

On our upcoming constellation cruise 2/13 the lobster roll on embarkation lunch is no longer available 🙁. I’m still hoping it will be there on the day. 

I have also noticed menu changes for our sailing in the last week or so but I can’t remember specifics. 

CC667B0B-1B95-458F-84C9-C496A772B9CE.png

Is it on the lunch menu any other day?  I have found that the order of the menus is not always correct.  In fact we have a 10 day sailing and if I were to believe the app Luminae will be closed after breakfast on day 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I'm on Equinox starting this weekend for 9 nights and I will report back here about Luminae.

Say hello to Hendri in the WCB.  He's awesome.  If they offer the free cocktail class in the Retreat Lounge he teaches it and it's very informative.  Get there early.  It's at the bar in the RL and there's only four or five seats.

45 minutes ago, RichYak said:

OP specifically referred to changes to lunch and dinner menus. Did you notice any changes to the menus?

Sorry, but I missed the OPs intent of this thread. In any case I cannot remember previous Luminae menus. However, as I danced around this subject earlier the menus can be "word-smithed" to say about anything. Items sounded good but delivery was lacking all our previous Luminae experiences. IMO no wow factor as in previous years.

Lobster is a good example. My wife had lobster in three restaurants and even if they were cold water lobsters they were so small that they did not spend much time in the water. None were bigger than my thumb. 

Anyway, in my opinion the menus have not changed that much.

• Thanks 1

Another regular poster here recently made similar comments and specified a lack of beef dishes including the standard filet mignon which was always a first night dish in Luminae. When I checked the app for current menus though I saw multiple beef dishes including the filet and the menus did not appear to be much different from what I recall seeing posted here the past few years. Perhaps some specific cruises have had menu rotations changed or ran into supply chain issues that resulted in some substitutions? Overall though I think this appears to be a false alarm.

Edited by WonderMan3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sptrout said:

Lobster is a good example. My wife had lobster in three restaurants and even if they were cold water lobsters they were so small that they did not spend much time in the water. None were bigger than my thumb. 

Sounds like a shrimp...

• Haha 2