$25 Corkage Fee

MSEm

From the FAQ  dated: August 2020

"We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom. The exception being the world cruises

Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle."

Could we carry glass of wine into the dining room?

That is very high.  We often cruise with Viking and have never had a corkage fee for Wine we bought on shore and carried to the dining room.

32 minutes ago, MSEm said:

...Could we carry glass of wine into the dining room?...

IF you paid O for that wine. But if you didn't, then not. Their rules. And their prices. I avoid the corkage by drinking my own beer, hard liquor and wine in my cabin, esp. on the veranda. I can eat lunch or dinner without needing alcohol or wanting to pay their prices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

From the FAQ  dated: August 2020

"We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom. The exception being the world cruises

Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle."

That is very high.  We often cruise with Viking and have never had a corkage fee for Wine we bought on shore and carried to the dining room.

Viking is  a different company

Please play by the rules of the line you are on

If you do not want to pay the corkage fee  just buy a bottle or glass of wine onboard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MSEm said:

Are wine and beer included with lunch and dinner or must you purchase a beverage package?

Wine and beer are not included with lunch and dinner as it is on Viking. You must pay by the glass or buy a beverage package. FYI, the wine and beer on Oceania cost much more than on Viking by the glass.

Edited by TERRIER1

8 minutes ago, MSEm said:

Are wine and beer included with lunch and dinner or must you purchase a beverage package?

If you take the O Life  Beverage package you get beer & wine by the glass with lunch & dinner   which may be like Viking offers

2 hours ago, MSEm said:

NO- carrying personal glasses of wine around the ship without having paid the corkage for the bottle from which it came is not allowed.

PLEASE don’t violate the rule. Oceania’s booze policy is extremely liberal (actually, you can bring as much wine onboard as you want. The six bottles is a CYA statement that is never enforced).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Am I correct that bringing beer onboard to drink in cabin is allowed?

I did on both Riviera (12/21) and Sirena (11/22). I had a literal beer display from local beers I bought and kept by the ice bucket. Usually bought 2-4 at each port, depending upon type available.

7 hours ago, MSEm said:

No.   Either consume in your stateroom, or bring the unopened bottle and pay the corkage fee.   

Joe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huib said:

It only says 6 bottles. How many cans of beer does that equate that too?

We have brought on many more than 6 bottles of wine and as many beers as you wish and also spirits.....all for consumption in your cabin (except wine which can be brought to a dining venue and you pay the $25.00 corkage fee).  Your cabin steward/butler will be happy to provide appropriate glassware, mixer and even garnish for your preferred drink.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I did on both Riviera (12/21) and Sirena (11/22). I had a literal beer display from local beers I bought and kept by the ice bucket. Usually bought 2-4 at each port, depending upon type available.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Yes

Thanks 🙂

I enjoy German beers such as Hofbrau & Paulaner and will enjoy them in our cabin. 🍻

I was onboard Riviera last year with some friends that usually travel Viking. They kept saying that wine and beer are included at meals, they can’t believe what Oceania charges, etc. I did a quick analysis of entry level veranda cabins on Viking and Oceania for the same itineraries. Guess what? Viking charged $50.00 more per person per day for both itineraries. And guess what? That would cover O’s basic drink package so that’s a wash. One could consider the added value of Viking’s included excursions but having experienced those excursions on a Viking cruise I will pass on them, one and done for me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

$25 corkage per DIY bottle in a dining room is not that high, it's toward the low end of land restaurant fees.

The corkage fee includes wine service, glasses, storage & delivery for your bottle (if you choose not to finish the bottle at the same meal it is opened). Depending on how many glasses of wine you want at a meal, for two people you could get 2 meals/4 glasses for $25 total corkage or $6.25/glass ish.

The DIY math makes more sense for bottles costing $20 and up imo, if you are trying to save $$ then skipping alcohol at meals or choosing OLife's wine-and-beer-at-meals package may make more sense... Ymmv! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jim and Monika said:

While against the rules, we saw several people in the Main Dinning Room with Red Wine in glasses that were not intended for Red Wine. I believe they brought them in and nothing was said.

it happens all the time

People get up from their dinner leave with an empty glass &  come back with a full one

The staff are not stupid  they are just non confrontational .. same with the dress code they do not  want to upset the pax  by taking them aside

At some point Oceania may start  charging the fee  at embarkation for wine brought aboard  & confiscated spirits  like other lines do

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

it happens all the time

People get up from their dinner leave with an empty glass &  come back with a full one

The staff are not stupid  they are just non confrontational .. same with the dress code they do not  want to upset the pax  by taking them aside

At some point Oceania may start  charging the fee  at embarkation for wine brought aboard  & confiscated spirits  like other lines do

And Oceania are less likely to make changes like that if passengers do not abuse the relatively liberal "alcohol" rules that O already has.  Being able to bring onboard any wines one wishes, be it for in cabin/suite or in a dining room is not something all lines have.  For some, being able to have their wine in their cabin at no extra cost is especially nice, and for others, it's being able to bring one's own special bottles along to enjoy with meals at a very modest surcharge.

Whenever guests flout the rules, the risk is that the rules will be more rigidly enforced or will be made stronger.

"Please don't ruin a good thing."  🙂 

GC

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, babysteps said:

$25 corkage per DIY bottle in a dining room is not that high, it's toward the low end of land restaurant fees.

True, that. We were just in a local restaurant that charges $30 if you take a bottle not on their list; $60 (!) if it's on their list. I get the reasoning, but still...

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Princess charges $15.00 restaurants I go to in the SF Bay area are $20-25.  $25 is high, if you are not in New York.

just drink in your cabin  or be one of the ones that refills their glass from their  cabin inbetween courses courses