How does e-muster work?

abisha

Hi could someone explain how the e-muster process works?  I know I can show up to the muster station on my sail n sign card any time I board as long as it is done before sail away time, but do I need to first watch any videos somewhere?  

You do not need to watch any videos first, and you do not even need your Sail and Sign card. You can go directly to your muster station as soon as you board and they will demonstrate how to put on a life vest and will scan your paper boarding pass to get you checked in.

Once you have access to your cabin, there is a safety video on the television that is certainly a good idea to watch, but there isn't going to be a quiz on the contents of the video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, knagl said:

You do not need to watch any videos first, and you do not even need your Sail and Sign card. You can go directly to your muster station as soon as you board and they will demonstrate how to put on a life vest and will scan your paper boarding pass to get you checked in.

Once you have access to your cabin, there is a safety video on the television that is certainly a good idea to watch, but there isn't going to be a quiz on the contents of the video.

If you don't have your card yet, how do you know where your muster station is? 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

They scan your card at the muster station. You are shown how to use a life vest then you leave. 

It was literally like 30 seconds

Edited by ciship

4 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Before you get a drink (or drunk), go directly to your muster station, sign in, pay attention and then go about your business. Have some fun and consider it "An Amazing Race" to be there as fast as possible while touring the ship.

Nobody getting drunk. They cut you off after 2 if you haven't done muster yet. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wdo1959 said:

What ships is this available on? Going on the Glory soon. Many thanks!

Emuster is the norm since COVID on all ships as I understand it. Whether or not it will continue is up to the regulatory authorities.

17 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Emuster is the norm since COVID on all ships as I understand it. Whether or not it will continue is up to the regulatory authorities.

There is talk on the NCL boards of Norwegian going back to the old muster drill.

Here is the link:

Muster drills to return to pre-Covid style - Norwegian Cruise Line - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by ontheweb
added link
  • Like 1

I have seen peeps on other post say you MUST go do the muster thing before eating lunch on the Lido. Not true. We almost always board early, and first thing we do is eat lunch. Then we go do our muster. Most generally, we have this finished well before 1:30....when the rooms are ready. Our last cruise two weeks ago, we had finished eating, visited with friends for a while...AND completed our muster requirement by 12:30. The new muster process is extremely easy...and can be completed in just a few minutes. If you want to go before lunch...fine...but it's definitely not a  must do. Just don't wait too long...

It's true, it is very short, however depending on when you arrive at your Muster Station, you might need to wait until a set number of people have arrived (or maybe some are doing it in time intervals like every 10 minutes or something). Anyway, that was kind of annoying to me because I thought it was supposed to be some kind of quick option, but we sat there not knowing why we were waiting. Thought maybe theater would have to fill up or something like that. The crew member on stage had on her mic but was making jokes and small talk to other crew, every now and then saying we'd get started shortly. Finally, they did the life vest demonstration and advised us we were finished. So yes, fast and painless once it got started or at least once you know that it isn't going to be a long drawn out process like back in the day.

The only other thing I'd say was annoying about it was, like before, those who don't follow the instructions to go to Muster make others suffer. So after the Cruise Director cut in on the ship P.A. system multiple times "reminding" people to complete theirs and that it is mandatory, we had to listen to the LOUDEST announcement in history 📢🔊 as the Cruise Director did the Muster over the loud speakers for the whole ship with non-stop talking for several minutes. It started off on needing to go to Muster, why it is important, it is mandatory, then the outright let me mention all the other safety stuff from these overhead speakers 😬

On 1/25/2023 at 4:34 PM, ontheweb said:

There is talk on the NCL boards of Norwegian going back to the old muster drill.

Here is the link:

Muster drills to return to pre-Covid style - Norwegian Cruise Line - Cruise Critic Community

Carnival claims NCL is doing this only because the e muster requires more staffing. They also claims they have received favorable feedback from the Coast Guard around the e muster.

22 hours ago, MsOne said:

It's true, it is very short, however depending on when you arrive at your Muster Station, you might need to wait until a set number of people have arrived (or maybe some are doing it in time intervals like every 10 minutes or something). Anyway, that was kind of annoying to me because I thought it was supposed to be some kind of quick option, but we sat there not knowing why we were waiting. Thought maybe theater would have to fill up or something like that. The crew member on stage had on her mic but was making jokes and small talk to other crew, every now and then saying we'd get started shortly. Finally, they did the life vest demonstration and advised us we were finished. So yes, fast and painless once it got started or at least once you know that it isn't going to be a long drawn out process like back in the day.

The only other thing I'd say was annoying about it was, like before, those who don't follow the instructions to go to Muster make others suffer. So after the Cruise Director cut in on the ship P.A. system multiple times "reminding" people to complete theirs and that it is mandatory, we had to listen to the LOUDEST announcement in history 📢🔊 as the Cruise Director did the Muster over the loud speakers for the whole ship with non-stop talking for several minutes. It started off on needing to go to Muster, why it is important, it is mandatory, then the outright let me mention all the other safety stuff from these overhead speakers 😬

Even with the new muster procedure they still do a safety briefing over the loud speaker on every sailing.  We’ve been on 6 cruises with new process and they’ve done it every time.  Bars close down during the loud speaker briefing as well. 

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Carnival claims NCL is doing this only because the e muster requires more staffing. They also claims they have received favorable feedback from the Coast Guard around the e muster.

That is an interesting take on the situation. 

Is there any proof of the positive feedback from the Coast Guard other than their claim?