The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday February 5th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Hi!  It's plus 2 Celcius here right now after 3 VERY cold days.  The really good news is that the bugs must all be dead!  

My second husband was a jerk.  My life has vastly improved since 2014. Enough said. (Actually my first husband was also a jerk.)  Third time lucky, for sure!!

My dad once owned a vacation home that had a huge shower with 3 shower heads along one wall.  To my knowledge, there was never more than one person in that shower at a time.  The house was over 7.000 sq. feet on 50 acres. Five bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, but only 1 bathroom had a shower.  All the bedrooms were on the upper level and the shower was beside the kitchen on the lower level.  It was a weird house. 

I will pass on the meal and the drink and the wine.  I would love to go to Waterford one day. 

Edited by 4966and556
adding info.
  • Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  This body is no longer built to shower with a friend, I wouldn't want to be a weather person these days, and I dumped a jerk in high school; once was enough.

I think the frozen tundra will be melting today; right now we have a temp of -8C (17F), but our expected high will be 0 (32).  I think I'll get out on the driveway and do some scraping of the ice that has accumulated on it.  It isn't slick, as it's a recycled rubber driveway, it's just chunky and lumpy, so there's little chance of falling on it.

@ottahand7what an awful thing to wake up to!  Hopefully you'll be able to get back to your own cabin soon!

@dobiemomBon Voyage; have fun with Lisa!

There's not a lot happening here today, so I think it's time I put more effort into knitting the blankets for foster children - after unravelling the afghans, I now have a giant bag of yarn that needs to be used.  I have several different ideas for patterns, both knit and crocheted, so it's good to get them started.

Brussels sprouts aren't a favourite of ours, but if served, we will have a couple, so I don't think I'd ever make today's suggestion.  The small beef roast I made in the slow cooker turned out to be a bit larger than I'd thought, so we'll be enjoying hot roast beef sandwiches with roasted vegetables at the dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, woo hoo for everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

@JazzyV. Vanessa, I realized I never replied when you asked how the hip was.First of all, thanks for asking. I think I have made good progress since the surgery and feel more confident  walking,especially  outside.I get a little nervous when the dogs pull me but my balance is better.I continue to do all the exercises.  I will ask the Ortho doc about the other side but hopefully  won't  have to deal with it any time soon.

How have your knees been with the winter we are having?

• Like 16

To all those people that don't think much of the Shower With A Friend Day, what is wrong with that?  After all, it is just good clean fun, right.  I can't think of anyone that I could convince this was a good idea, but you know the old saying.  "Hope springs Eternal."

• Like 10
  • Haha 9

Captain Arno's talk was good with a brief overview of navigation and the weather. He showed the area of low pressure between here and the Falklands.  He said 10 meter swells would be part of that system.  He said big swells  are in order for us this afternoon then quieter weather.  Many good questions. Regarding our broken pipe on deck 6 he said repairs can be problematic because a 24 year old ship it is hard to get parts and the company that custom made parts for HA went bankrupt during Covid. 

Thankfully they have nice ocean view cabins for all of us displaced. It just isn't going to be an afternoon. Our room steward told us three days probably.  We will have to go and pack up all our bathroom supplies, medicine and three days worth of clothes.  All my cameras and laptop are still up there too. Thankfully I booked us dinner at the Pinnacle for tonight to avoid dressy night so we don't haul all the extra shoes and clothes down. I probably wouldn't have done a good job earlier standing in sloshing water. 

While waiting for the Captain's talk there were neighbors from three other cabins talking about the level of flood in each cabin and it seems ours is the only one that is so cold requires using the deck blanket to stay warm inside so maybe it can be fixed. One of the entertainers in a inside cabin was ground zero for the pipe burst and had all his clothes soaked.  He was in the Lido in robe and slippers because that is all he had to wear.  

I don't know which would be better during 3 days of sea time which we are facing or days in port when we could break the monotony.  Doesn't matter it is what it is. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

29 minutes ago, GTVCRUISER said:

My ship just came into San Diego this morning  , cruising to Mexico today 🙂 

ship1sun.JPG

Is your ship Diamond Princess?   Sorry I didn't know about your cruise ahead of time.  Have a great time and Bon Voyage!

11 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Captain Arno's talk was good with a brief overview of navigation and the weather. He showed the area of low pressure between here and the Falklands.  He said 10 meter swells would be part of that system.  He said big swells  are in order for us this afternoon then quieter weather.  Many good questions. Regarding our broken pipe on deck 6 he said repairs can be problematic because a 24 year old ship it is hard to get parts and the company that custom made parts for HA went bankrupt during Covid. 

Thankfully they have nice ocean view cabins for all of us displaced. It just isn't going to be an afternoon. Our room steward told us three days probably.  We will have to go and pack up all our bathroom supplies, medicine and three days worth of clothes.  All my cameras and laptop are still up there too. Thankfully I booked us dinner at the Pinnacle for tonight to avoid dressy night so we don't haul all the extra shoes and clothes down. I probably wouldn't have done a good job earlier standing in sloshing water. 

While waiting for the Captain's talk there were neighbors from three other cabins talking about the level of flood in each cabin and it seems ours is the only one that is so cold requires using the deck blanket to stay warm inside so maybe it can be fixed. One of the entertainers in a inside cabin was ground zero for the pipe burst and had all his clothes soaked.  He was in the Lido in robe and slippers because that is all he had to wear.  

I don't know which would be better during 3 days of sea time which we are facing or days in port when we could break the monotony.  Doesn't matter it is what it is. 

I hope HAL can find a new facility that makes repair parts because ships will always have broken water pipes.  If they don't replace all that carpet it will take quite a while to dry out the rooms.  Hope it doesn't get musty in there.  At least you can open the doors to air it out when things get warmer.  Good luck!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Up and around.  No real change from yesterday but I did not sleep as well.

Roy

Thanks for checking in.  What are you doing with all your time?  Reading, TV, laps around the house? Sounds like a nap would be a good idea.  Are your church members calling you to keep watch over you?  I hope you have some food donations coming in too because you may not have the energy to cook anything.  Keep us updated.

• Like 20

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

I keep hearing the chatter about Hokey Pokey ice cream.  What makes it so special?

@0106 I can't attest to Hokey Pokey as I'm ONLY a mint chip girl. And, my DH's memory no longer remembers his Hokey Pokey pursuits. From the following web description, I'm guessing he loved the toffee bits. And, all the dairy products in NZ were extra rich and flavorful from grass grazed herds, so Hokey Pokey's vanilla base was likely delicious, too.

https://www.theflavorbender.com/hokey-pokey-ice-cream-honeycomb/

"If you’re a Kiwi (New Zealander), Hokey Pokey needs no introduction! For the rest of the world though, those words are just hocus pocus. Hokey Pokey ice cream is one of the most popular ice creams in New Zealand, perhaps second only to plain ol’ vanilla. It’s a quintessentially Kiwi treat where rich creamy vanilla ice cream is mixed with crunchy bits of honeycomb toffee (i.e. hokey pokey). It’s incredibly tasty and incredibly addictive, so much so that they even have rehab centers in NZ to treat those with hokey pokey addictions. Actually, that’s a lie. I made that last bit up. But you know what I mean. Whether you call it Hokey Pokey or Honey Comb or Sponge Candy, those who have tried it will attest to the fact that it’s one of a kind!"

-Melisa 

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 11

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!

I'm surprised we have not heard from @grapau27with a Father David post.  I hope all is well with the Graham, Pauline and Sarah family.  

I wouldnt mind showering with a friend, if they could give my itchy winter skin on my back a good scrub....but it would have to be a big shower.....Yes, I have dumped my share of jerks.  My dad told me once, that I will never find a trout in a barrel of pickled herrings, but it took me a long time to learn that.  and I think that some of my old flames were glad I dumped them, so they didnt have to dump me.  Like @4966and556my first hubby was a super Jerk, the second husband had some good moments, but his addiction problems were too much for me, that and he believed the world was going to end, and to arm himself to the gills so that what he had, no one could take....If the rest of the world was gone, I didnt want to be the only one on earth with him...  and the beau after him, was a jerk, in so many ways, but he had mental health issues, that I was too blind to see when we started dating, so my dad was right. In regards to the weather people, where else can you keep a job, and be wrong 50% of the time?

@cat shepardI was very sad to read about your nephew.  Turning the corner, getting straight, and then lose the battle is very sad, prayers to you and your family.

@ottahand7I am thinking that perhaps some crew members might have had to move to give up those cabins, or they leave them empty to cover any unknown disaster.

@dobiemomBon Voyage!

@Seasick SailorIf your ribs or side are still hurting, please get them checked out.  There is nothing so sad, as not being able to laugh, because you are in pain.

@rafinmdSorry the sleep last night wasnt' better.  I hope though that you are feeling better a little more each day.

@dfishYou have taught me to love my veggies by roasting them.  I used to hate Brussel sprouts, and then I went to a dinner, at a friends mother in law, who roasted the sprouts, and they were good!  Then I had them at Red Lobster, and yes they drizzle some wonderful sauce on them, but they were fantastic, and then I tried to duplicate it, and that was a disaster, I will try one of the recipes you posted.

@smitty34877I am glad to read that your hip is doing well.  Tell those puppies to behave, and all will be well.

We went out for dinner at our favorite Vietnamese Restaurant last night after work - during our work hours, we drink coffee, last night with dinner we had Vietnamese Iced coffee, DH and I were up until 2:30....

c295ace016d4852a80117f1e4ba0624f.jpg

e6db9dee3404a36ed574356770f85a48.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No showering with a friend for me and fortunately no significant jerk. Weathermen try to get it right, I think. Funny quote. The meal sounds good as a side dish. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Waterford, although I have some of the crystal made there. 

Heat wave! It's 43F and partly sunny, after -4F yesterday AM. No special plans today. I've been having some pain/numbness on my right thigh, which I wonder if it's related to the bursitis on that side. Another reason I've been trying to sleep on the better side. Mail tracking shows my passport is "in the system" but delayed (original delivery estimate was 2/3); it's coming from Tucson.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today and keeping up with our lists. Great photos as usual.

@ottahand7 Oh my on the flooding in the hall and your cabin! The food looks good. Not good to hear that repair of the broken pipe may be problematic. And no fun having to pack up and move for a few days, but at least they have open cabins. I couldn't tolerate the cabin being so cold you needed a blanket!

@0106 Wow on the ship rolling so much that DH fell out of bed. Good to hear he's ok. 

@dobiemom Good to hear you arrived safely. Bon Voyage and have a great cruise!

@cat shepard Continued prayers for your family as you navigate this difficult time.

@rafinmd Thanks for checking in. Maybe a nap or two today, since you didn't sleep as well last night?

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels to Miami.

@dfish Thanks for today's recipes. Enjoy meeting more neighbors today. Wishing the best for your DB's knee surgery tomorrow.

@smitty34877 It's good to hear your hip is doing well. My knee varies; one day it is very painful, then it will be ok for a few days, then painful again. Steps aggravate it, especially when I do laundry (today) which involves several trips down and back up from the the basement; most days it's one time down to the first floor in the morning and on the first floor all day until bedtime.

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!

@Seasick Sailor I hope you're feeling better today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Take care everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning All,

Ireland is one place I would love to go. Maybe someday on Fred.Olsen.

For now, we just booked as DH got a last minute killer deal, and I’m working on logistics. One thing that is troubling is I cannot find the applicable Covid protocols. The Voyage doesn’t show in the online HAL tool. And I got a little surprise of some onboard credit I wasn’t expecting. Maybe it was in the fine print of his private sale….  Does anyone have advice for FLL? (Airport, hotel, food, activities?) We’ve never been…. 

@marshhawk I get it with the Vietnamese coffee. My first encounter was on a scorching day…. Went with my Vietnamese boss to a new local bahn mi take out (before bahn mi had made a name for itself.) She said I had to try the coffee, so I got one. Driving back to the office I was taking big sips- she squealed “don’t drink that so fast!” Oh my gosh- she was right. That afternoon was interesting…. No sleep that night. Got to liking the coffee and introduced a friend. She had 2 on one of our shopping trips-she said caffeine didn’t bother her. Yep- no sleep for her, either!  Dang, that stuff is so good, but it kicks you in the seat of you expect to sleep anytime soon. I probably could have utilized it in college.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 21

Good morning from sunny ☀️, not windy central Texas.  It is currently 47F and warming to 73F today and 76F tomorrow.  We will be getting rain and thunderstorms Tuesday, and Wednesday, when our highs will drop to a more normal 60 degree range with a couple of days in the 50s.

No showers with a friend, and no jerks to dump.  Will salute the weathermen and women, even though their forecasts are an educated guess based on computer algorithms and models.  

A funny quote by Joe E. Lewis.

We'll pass on the meal, although DH likes Brussels sprouts, the drink and the wine.

We were in Waterford on September 3, 2016, when the Prinsendam stopped in Cobh.  We rented a car and drove to Waterford where we toured the Waterford display factory.  We did not spend much time in Waterford because our main objective was the Jameson Distillery in Midleton, County Cork.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry about the flooded cabin, but glad they had some empty rooms to move you to.  They can get a lot of the water up with wet/dry vacuums, but it will still take a day or two for the big fans to dry the cabin.  I hope they can get a replacement for the broken pipe quickly and have something to fix it for now.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the pictures of the town of Waterford.  It was rainy the day we were there, and we didn't take time to see much of the town.

@0106  I'm glad your DH wasn't hurt when he rolled out of bed.

@dobiemom  That is good news you flight went well if a little bumpy.  🎈 🛳️ BON VOYAGE! 🥂🍾  Have a great cruise with your mom and the rest of the family.

@cat shepard  Ann, again our condolences on the passing of Matt.  I hope the fact he had turned his life around will give your DS and the family some comfort and five years of better memories.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, hope the drive today and tomorrow is safe and uneventful.

@aliaschief  Bruce, loved the memes.

@dfish  Debbie, sending positive thoughts for a successful knee replacement tomorrow and a quick recovery for your DB.

@GTVCRUISER  🛳️ BON VOYAGE! 🍸  Have a great cruise.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope you are feeling better and stronger everyday, and that tonight you will get a good night's sleep.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad that your hip is better, and I hope nothing needs to be done for the other hip for a looooong time.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie, thanks for the interesting versions of roasted brussels sprouts.  I'll mention it to DH - he usually steams ours.  Good thoughts coming your DB's way as he goes in for knee replacement surgery tomorrow.  Will they let him go home same day, or stay overnight?

I hope your DH likes the recipes and that you do, too!   My brother is staying overnight and I will bring him home on Tuesday.

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@dfishYou have taught me to love my veggies by roasting them.  I used to hate Brussel sprouts, and then I went to a dinner, at a friends mother in law, who roasted the sprouts, and they were good!  Then I had them at Red Lobster, and yes they drizzle some wonderful sauce on them, but they were fantastic, and then I tried to duplicate it, and that was a disaster, I will try one of the recipes you posted.

Thank  you!  I think they are great roasted with just a touch of butter and some parmesan cheese on top.  Or, drizzle a bit of a good balsamic vinegar on them.  Mmmmm

5 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Thanks for today's recipes. Enjoy meeting more neighbors today. Wishing the best for your DB's knee surgery tomorrow.

Thank you, Vanessa!   My brother's surgery will be interesting.  I've had two knee replacements and tried to offer some suggestions for afterwards to him, but he knows more than I.  I offered him a cane for getting around the apartment.  IT is so small that a walker would get in the way of things, but he is dead set against the cane.  Once I came home I only used a cane in the house as it left one hand free for carrying my coffee.  I'm thinking a couple days from now I'll get a call asking for the cane.

• Like 18
  • Haha 4

@dfish  Debbie, you might just put the cane in the car on Tuesday when you take your DB home.  You could even take into the apartment and leave it "just in case". 😉

On our one visit to Waterford we toured Waterford Crystal; then, on to the Jameson Distillery.  All my pictures were taken on the tour.

DSC06739.thumb.JPG.39b268ba1837c498cd10260a89aa3c08.JPG

The William Maddock crystal clock

DSC06740.thumb.JPG.58324a3f11bc306211555180667f4a63.JPG

Some of their crystal pieces are molded and some are hand blown

DSC06743.thumb.JPG.c0d8d48b5ef0b5a91954ef9053da8d03.JPG

DSC06748.thumb.JPG.960d953e89081905a4c6087611a3848e.JPG

This shows the various steps in finishing a glass bowl.

DSC06761.thumb.JPG.6e49b9556d08918a57bf466e089ec035.JPG

DSC06767.thumb.JPG.5368189b8d25e0c53daf7b7c5c6bfdb8.JPG

DSC06771.thumb.JPG.83b491f3181e97fd14f9e81b986e377a.JPG

Some of their pieces are cut by a computer driven machine.

DSC06773.thumb.JPG.10378eea2d714e8db5b3771042f23848.JPG

This piece is called In Remembrance and was dedicated in Memory of Father Mychal Judge and the 342 other first responders who lost their live on September 11, 2001.

DSC06778.thumb.JPG.9e82776cff60782066d047bbd8ed97fc.JPG

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites. 

I'm so sorry to hear of your nephews death Ann.

Roy I hope you get much needed rest. It helps with your healing.

Debbie I will put your brother in prayer and hope his surgery is successful. 

Prayers lifted for all on Sandi's care list. Jacqui, Tana, Sarah, Kathi...

Tomorrow I will call our clinic for an Xray. I'm pretty miserable and want to be sure I'm ok to travel on the 15th. Please pray nothing is cracked!

We loved Ireland and Scotland. We were on a tour then my niece was married in Adare. We've been back several times since. 

Meeting friends for brunch in a bit and having dinner with friends before our concert. I am not up for it, but my sweet husband has been looking forward to it.. 

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, 

No showering with a friend and no jerks to dump here! DH is the first and he's a keeper. He's still in the hospital but the last couple of days I'm seeing some good improvement. Yesterday the hospitalist had a chat about going home and mentioned hospice but I've talked with our DS and just don't feel that's a place we want to go at the moment. I do understand where the hospitalist is coming from as DH is taking longer to bounce back - I don't have my rose-colored glasses on (I don't think so anyway). However, yesterday he was very talkative, ate by himself and finished everything, no shaky hands, asked for his hat to wear, talked to the respiratory therapist and nurses with a decent conversation, and was asking me about family and friends. I think this particular bacteria just took the "stuffing" out of him. Anyway, I plan to say no to hospice at this point and hopefully we can come up with a plan to have him home soon. 

Thanks for all who have asked and keep him in your thoughts. Now on to make snickerdoodles for the nursing staff! 

Karen

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

No showering with a friend and no jerks to dump here! DH is the first and he's a keeper. He's still in the hospital but the last couple of days I'm seeing some good improvement. Yesterday the hospitalist had a chat about going home and mentioned hospice but I've talked with our DS and just don't feel that's a place we want to go at the moment. I do understand where the hospitalist is coming from as DH is taking longer to bounce back - I don't have my rose-colored glasses on (I don't think so anyway). However, yesterday he was very talkative, ate by himself and finished everything, no shaky hands, asked for his hat to wear, talked to the respiratory therapist and nurses with a decent conversation, and was asking me about family and friends. I think this particular bacteria just took the "stuffing" out of him. Anyway, I plan to say no to hospice at this point and hopefully we can come up with a plan to have him home soon. 

Thanks for all who have asked and keep him in your thoughts. Now on to make snickerdoodles for the nursing staff! 

Karen

Karen!🙏

• Like 10

First, blessings for @cat shepard and family, DD and DN. Loss is always stunning, numbing, surreal. And loss of people younger than we are is harder to grasp. Plus there is loss greater than the death of one’s child!  Holding you all in my heart and prayers. 

Late yesterday @Copper10-8 posted a picture of Airabelle!  The extra huge special-shape hot air balloon who is a local star of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.  She is sponsored by a Los cal dairy, Creamland. She is very difficult to fly because of her size and shape so when she is up it’s a thrill. Balloon Fiesta is always the first full week in October and both weekends. It attracts hundreds of thousands. At the balloon park there are usually 100,000 spectators on the weekends for the Mass Ascensions which begin just after dawn. Spectators are free to roam around the field watching balloonists prepare and launch their balloons, often being enlisted to hold a rope or assist. There are usually about 700 or more balloonists attending; they come from all over the world. I received a thoughtful Christmas present from a dear NM friend: a 2023 Balloon Fiesta calendar, warmed my heart!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. Congrats to those celebrating! Smooth and happy travels to those away.

Thank you @ottahand7 for your reports and pictures. So glad you have a dry cabin to relocate to!  Impressed with your upbeat attitude, you are inspiring!  
MaureenDF4F939F-297F-4427-8D47-91453E6DD4B5.jpeg.d5f3aeca085179c19f8251530474a8f7.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1