Celebrity Flyer: Pickleball at Sea

mahdnc

There have been some recent questions about the availability of pickleball on Celebrity ships.  Here is a brochure that Celebrity has recently put together: Pickleball at Sea.  There are 9 ships in the fleet that have it.  The non-Galapagos ships that currently don't are Silhouette, Reflection, and Edge.

Screenshot2023-03-12at11_15_57AM.png.88c6d9bbc6ff1e7ebf2f4d7258e780dc.png

@Dduncan158, @rossholly1, @MLP12, @lifeisrealygood, @Debbra1024, @Harry_D

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, northwoods2 said:

I wonder if we need to bring our own paddles.   I would love to play some on our 15 night cruise.  

I am guessing that the equipment is supplied.  That's the way basketballs, shuffleboard, and ping pong equipment have been handled.

My daughter is hoping Axe-Throwing at Sea is next.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I wonder why not Reflection?  She still has the basketball court I believe. Not revolutionized.

Neither have the Constellation, Infinity, Solstice or Eclipse yet they now have pickleball.  

3 hours ago, northwoods2 said:

I wonder if we need to bring our own paddles.   I would love to play some on our 15 night cruise.  

When on Summit and  Solstice they had paddles and balls in the benches along the perimeter.

Yes, according to Holland America's PR, they were the first to bring Pickleball to the "World's Best Ships".  😉😃

I have to sympathize with the lady that is suing over the pickleball sound.  It is annoying, especially when it is echoing off of other buildings, which seems to be the case where she lives.  I wonder if the noise will be a problem on  ships.  On the HAL forum, I read many complaints of the noise near the ping pong area.  Pickleball is ping pong amplified.

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The  ball strike sound was so widespread, unrelenting  & annoying at our Florida Community,  that the PB  Courts were moved  far away from any  residences.   Now the sound  only annoys folks at the nearby pool. Ugh!  Tennis is a much quieter sport..diff equipment.

We would  not enjoy hearing this sound  while on a cruise...Maybe they could do a soundproof court in a basement level deck... Many  newer facilities are now being built  with climate controlled indoor facilities.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I so agree.  The pb courts in our winter location in Florida are heard morning to night from 2 blocks away;  they are the worst plunking noise and you just can't get away from it if you're home most of the day in an outdoor community.  They may be popular but these courts should be indoors as they are in our home city and don't bother anyone with the noise.

I have tinnitus and maybe that makes me more sensitive to noise.  I usually am.  I'm not a fan of pickleball because it does sound like ping pong on steroids.  When I walk past the "tennis" courts I can hear the pickleball players from farther away.  There are houses across the street but I have no idea if they can hear it.  The only good thing about pickleball is that, in my neighborhood, they were able to take 1 tennis court and make 4 pickleball courts.  That seems like a good compromise.

On 3/12/2023 at 7:45 PM, Kidd said:

On the Apex and Beyond, where do they play since there is no sport court?

They play in the rooftop garden.  They offered it on two days during our cruise last week, from 12:30-4:30.  The exhaust stacks and the outdoor movie screen provide some relief from the window, but Saturday, our last at sea day, the winds were gusting around 30 knots.  If was difficult enough to sit on a chair, let alone chase a plastic ball across a court.  By 3pm, the only place you could stay outdoors was near the pool, which has high glass barriers to make the wind bearable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Beware playing pickleball on the rooftop deck of celebrity .... there are large flower containers surrounding the court...  and a stage step at the end of the baseline....making it potentially unsafe if one falls

They need to make an area dedicated to the court as other lines  have done on their ships.

22 minutes ago, therapy said:

Beware playing pickleball on the rooftop deck of celebrity .... there are large flower containers surrounding the court...  and a stage step at the end of the baseline....making it potentially unsafe if one falls

on which ship was this?

8 hours ago, therapy said:

They need to make an area dedicated to the court as other lines  have done on their ships.

I thought they used the old basketball court?

Do they teach classes onboard?

Edited by zitsky

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

I thought they used the old basketball court?

Do they teach classes onboard?

Different on different ships.  On Apex this week weather impossible last 5 days.  Court on the Rooftop was just fine first two days.

Yes, there were classes scheduled,  but if you have played ping pong or tennis you have the idea and general rules.