Activities on sea days

hoosier quilter

We are going on full transit Panama Canal cruise Oct 2023.  Since it is Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles there will be 10 sea days during the 18 day cruise.

What kind of activities will there be?  We were on Viking British Isle cruise last summer that had a new port everyday.  I realize there are educational speakers but hoping there are plenty of things to keep my husband busy.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

B I N G O?

Never saw that on Viking.  But Trivia games, Baggo competition between guests and officers, wine tastings, mixology classses, lots of lectures, movie showings in Star Theatre, cooking class, jigsaw puzzle table, use the gym, walk the promenade, use the spa facility, dance lessons, yoga and stretching classes, shuffleboard or golf putting on deck 9, a huge library of books to peruse, Bayeaux tapestry tour, movies on your room TV, naps in a pool lounger, stay up late to hear band play in Torshavn and sleep in next morning, leisurely breakfast in Restaurant...

Edited by TayanaLorna
Adds
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We had wonderful "art" class last year. Also great time to do laundry and plan your next cruise with the consultant. I do not remember YOGA or stretching classes except on our WC. We love SEA days especially when they are sporadic during a port intensive cruise rather than multiples days in a row!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

B I N G O?

No, nor Karoke.

Listened with amusement to the cruise director have a long long conversation with a guest who was suggesting that Viking needed both. She told him that neither were included in Mr. Hagen’s vision.  He was unsatisfied by this explanation so much so that she finally apologized that he wasn’t happy with her response and suggested there were many cruiselines who offered both and perhaps he should explore them. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

While they do need reasonably calm seas and at least one volunteer... they do try to schedule a live keelhauling demonstration at least once a cruise. A real opportunity to experience what being at sea once was. 

I am kidding here! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 3/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, Haqdeluxe said:

they do try to schedule a live keelhauling demonstration at least once a cruise. A real opportunity to experience what being at sea once was.

Alas, that really isn't the same these days since they try to keep the hull free of barnacles, especially near New Zealand...  ;)

• Haha 3

How about this for longer cruises?

Dining crew, bartenders & room stewards each get to vote via secret ballot and brackets to select the most obnoxious passengers. On sequential ports the winning cabin is put ashore via a public walking of the plank.

Downside: If one cabin wins the trifecta, it's not as much entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

Alas, that really isn't the same these days since they try to keep the hull free of barnacles, especially near New Zealand...  😉

Or perhaps that was the issue, they had missed too many demonstrations? 🤣

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 12:15 PM, Haqdeluxe said:

While they do need reasonably calm seas and at least one volunteer... they do try to schedule a live keelhauling demonstration at least once a cruise. A real opportunity to experience what being at sea once was. 

I am kidding here! 😆

Volunteer? Maybe someone in a ball cap?

• Haha 1

Just off two weeks on the Panama Canal (partial transit) cruise.   

We spent most of our days at sea, lounging and reading near the pool in the shade,  daily afternoon walks on the walking track, shower, head to Explorers Lounge to listen to music, go to dinner, watch a movie in our cabin, repeat.  In the end, we decided there were just too many sea days for us.              

Day activities offered included dance lessons, historian talks/lectures, bridge lessons, creative writing lessons, baggo, cards, scrabble, puzzles.  None really appealed to us (but were well attended by others). 

Yes, I like sea days in the middle of busy multiple-port day cruises, but I cannot really do non-stop sea days, which is why we did one transatlantic and that was enough so far. 

We are very active,--I can tour all day (I prefer archaeological ruins),  swim in the pool, and then dance in the nightclub way past midnight!  My DH is an adrenalin junkie-- sometimes I have to (gently) twist his arm to go on a cruise, because he would rather go to a ski resort and hit the slopes nonstop.

I do think that as we age we may become more sedate, and then appreciate more the tranquility and escape of sea days (but we will probably never play bingo)!

P.S.  My brother is great at Karaoke--he says the trick is in the performance, not the actual tune or words.  I will take his word for it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

I do think that as we age we may become more sedate, and then appreciate more the tranquility and escape of sea days (but we will probably never play bingo)!

We've always appreciated the tranquility and escape of sea days. It's a big reason why we enjoy cruising -- the chance to watch the world sail by our balcony while we ponder whether to swim, work out, walk the decks, attend a lecture, eat well, or drink ourselves silly. For us, the experience has nothing to do with being or becoming "more sedate." We just like being at sea.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Yes, I like sea days in the middle of busy multiple-port day cruises, but I cannot really do non-stop sea days, which is why we did one transatlantic and that was enough so far. 

We are very active,--I can tour all day (I prefer archaeological ruins),  swim in the pool, and then dance in the nightclub way past midnight!  My DH is an adrenalin junkie-- sometimes I have to (gently) twist his arm to go on a cruise, because he would rather go to a ski resort and hit the slopes nonstop.

P.S.  My brother is great at Karaoke--he says the trick is in the performance, not the actual tune or words.  I will take his word for it.

You describe us perfectly. In the “old” days we hiked the Overland Track  in Tasmania, the Coast to Coast in the Uk, etc….now, years later, we still have occasional spurts of energy, but like lower intensive itineraries…..Viking serves both wishes perfectly.

• Like 3

I love sea days and I love port days. I like my seadays to come in pairs so I can get into a different rhythm just for a break. 
I enjoy talks but often do them on catch up because on sea days I try and ignore clocks and watches and just go with what my body and brain want at that moment. 
They usually involve some of the day curling up with a book that caught my attention on the shelf on Day 1, maybe an afternoon tea or a leisurely lunch somewhere, chatting to people, an indoor or outdoor walk etc etc. But one thing I always get off saying oh I meant to do xxxx on one of the sea days but did not get round to it 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I love sea days. My work and personal life is so intense that this gives me a beautiful chance to reflect and renew. 

Good book, meditating while staring into the waves, spa, occasional massage, very frequent glasses of wine, and hanging out with DW (my very best friend in the world❤️). This is heaven to me. Can you tell I’m looking forward to a November transatlantic?

• Like 6

• 7 months later...