Dogs onboard???

This has become suddenly a hot topic over on the Viking Oceans board with multiple complaints of dogs onboard.  Not legitimate service dogs with, for example, a blind person but toy breed more or less pets in a vest.  Sitting in chairs in dining venues, walking about the public spaces with the owners.  Has this occurred on Regent ships?  Regent is, in our minds at least, the last holdout of "doing it right".  Just want to know if it is happening.

Thanks,

Jim

Oh my. My husband I were joking about bringing our cats, thinking about how years ago there were probably cats on pirate ships and other vessels who were there to keep the rat population down. We had a good laugh picturing out fat tabbies in life jackets.

I see those little dogs everywhere now! But hopefully not at a cruise dinner. 🤯

• Like 2

So funny!  I have never seen animals on a Regent ship (except a corpulent male in a speedo).   Reminds me of our voyage to Japan on a Navy transfer ship in the '60's.  We were allowed to take one dog overseas.  He was in a kennel outside (but so were hundreds or men meeting their fate in Vietnam).  We visited Beau multiple times a day.  Even coming home four years later on the much more luxe President's line, Beau still had spartan quarters.  He never was allowed in other parts of the ship.  

• Like 1

This particular DOG will Not Hunt on Regent.  But, 

Been on several Cunard ships doing TAs New York-Europe, and visa-versa.  

Kennels arranged for canine companions, complete with opportunities for visits by their two-legged owners during specified hours at a designated--and regulated upper deck location.   

That can be accomplished on a 2,500+ passenger ship.  

GOARMY!

We were on a HAL cruise to Alaska some years ago and there was a “service dog” aka pet relieving himself on the promenade deck with no attempt from owner to clean up after. Last time we sailed with HAL! 
Before Covid it was becoming a problem on airlines also. I would hate to get stuck for hours next to some random “comfort animal”. We have a friend that takes her lap sized dog on flights…. Rest of the time the dog stays in the back yard😖. That should not be allowed. 

• Like 1

On a Lufthansa flight from Trieste to Frankfurt towards the end of last year, I was sure I could hear a miaow now and again.  Sure enough, as we got off the plane, a woman a row or two in front of us in business was carrying a cat, quite openly.  There's a first time for everything!   (And I'm glad I wasn't seated next to her!)

We did see a small dog on Regent once, but a long time ago, probably 10 years. It was on either Mariner or Voyager.

The owner would carry the dog around in her handbag and was seemingly allowed in all the public areas.

Lots of complaints and have never seen the like again.

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

We did see a small dog on Regent once, but a long time ago, probably 10 years. It was on either Mariner or Voyager.

The owner would carry the dog around in her handbag and was seemingly allowed in all the public areas.

Lots of complaints and have never seen the like again.

We were also on that cruise (one of our first with Regent). Supposedly the little dog could sense something like a pending seizure and alert the owner. There was a lot of skepticism and animosity from the passengers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Splendor at this time doing a TA to Lisbon. Last March on Splendor we were directly below the Regent Suite, and a very famous singer/songstress had a very small dog (??) with her and would show up in Observation Lounge, dining venues, etc. with it in a tiny carry case. Know the history of this lady and suspect it was a service dog. Perhaps special privileges for the famous?

Regent allows Service Dogs but not emotional support animals. NCL policy is here...

SERVICE ANIMALS

Norwegian Cruise Line accepts service dogs that are trained to perform a specific task. A service dog may be needed for many different conditions, which would be acceptable under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines.

In accordance with the ADA, Norwegian Cruise Line does NOT accept “Emotional Support” dogs as service dogs, they CANNOT sail.

• Guests must provide copies of the dog’s current vaccination records that show all shots are up-to-date (including Rabies), as well as a USDA or International Health certificate
  • Guests are responsible for checking with all ports of call for any special requirements they may have. Guests are responsible for bringing all food, medication and life jacket for the dog
  • A relief sand box will be provided

All guests travelling with service animals must book at least two weeks in advance to allow enough time to check with each port of call and provide Norwegian Cruise Line with all required documentation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Regent allows Service Dogs but not emotional support animals. NCL policy is here...

SERVICE ANIMALS

Norwegian Cruise Line accepts service dogs that are trained to perform a specific task. A service dog may be needed for many different conditions, which would be acceptable under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines.

In accordance with the ADA, Norwegian Cruise Line does NOT accept “Emotional Support” dogs as service dogs, they CANNOT sail.

• Guests must provide copies of the dog’s current vaccination records that show all shots are up-to-date (including Rabies), as well as a USDA or International Health certificate
  • Guests are responsible for checking with all ports of call for any special requirements they may have. Guests are responsible for bringing all food, medication and life jacket for the dog
  • A relief sand box will be provided

All guests travelling with service animals must book at least two weeks in advance to allow enough time to check with each port of call and provide Norwegian Cruise Line with all required documentation.

I will venture to say, then, that this famous person was given preferential treatment in the Regent Suite. Based on her known history, I would have to believe her pooch was for emotional support and certainly was not a service dog. She certainly did not.does not, require a service dog. Very nice couple and certainly suspect she was given VIP treatment with allowing them to bring their pooch onboard.A global star, for sure.

Just now, Gpilon said:

I will venture to say, then, that this famous person was given preferential treatment in the Regent Suite. Based on her known history, I would have to believe her pooch was for emotional support and certainly was not a service dog. She certainly did not.does not, require a service dog. Very nice couple and certainly suspect she was given VIP treatment with allowing them to bring their pooch onboard.A global star, for sure.

Waste of energy catering to famous people...better off investing in clients.

• Thanks 2

Agree with you, sir. And I am sure they may have got a little “discount” on the Regent Suite. Ms. Twain sang one night in the Splendor Lounge with the CD, David Nevin so perhaps a little way of paying her back for a few songs. We were in 1201 and being ex Canucks ourselves, was nice to say “how ya doing eh” to her and her husband. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, FeatherTheWonderCat said:

I have never seen an animal--service or otherwise--on a Regent ship, but my husband and I have often talked about how much better our cruise would be if we could bring one of our cats.

And mine could play with yours!  😸

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FeatherTheWonderCat said:

how much better our cruise would be if we could bring one of our cats

Probably something to that. Captain Kate, who is with Celebrity Cruises, sails with her cat Bug Naked. The cat has quite the following on Instagram.