Is Le Petit Chef worth the time/money?

Sigyn

I booked Le Petit Chef for our upcoming Alaskan cruise on the Millennium, but then cancelled after reading a few meh-type reviews. Not sure if I should rebook. Is it worth the time/money? There aren't many specialty restaurants on M-class ships, so I thought this might be a fun deviation from the normal menu in the main dining room. But now it seems like maybe not. Would love to hear input from those who have recently experienced it. 

Edited by njsmom

Hello! 

We returned from the Millennium and LOVED Le Petit Chef! I giggled the entire evening. The show was really cute and fun, in our opinion. At some points the animation almost looked like it was in 3D. Service was excellent and the food was very good. 

I can see why some people may not appreciate it but we would definitely consider going again, especially for a different show. Apparently there are three or four different shows and menus across the fleet. 

Incidentally, here in Toronto Le Petit Chef is running a pop up at an event space. I did the math and it's $129+ gratiutiy per person Canadian. So $150 Canadian or approximately $110 US per person. That's before drinks. Add in Ubers or taxis to and from the venue and the Toronto version could easily tally $300 Canadian or $220+ USD. So the value is definitely better on the ship. 

Here are some photos and a video from our March 27th experience. 🙂

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5648.JPG

IMG_5649.JPG

IMG_5668.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

IMG_5678.JPG

IMG_5681.JPG

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

I also find it highly entertaining. I think anybody with a sense of fun would. 

I especially love the "and Friends" version where they have the competition. 

So fun to watch the 3 other chefs standing on the side reacting while one makes his/her course. 

I've  always enjoyed the food, but the show (to me) is the main attraction.

If I were a picky eater, or not happy with the main LPC menu for that day, frankly I would not bother.    

One can get alternate / vegetarian, etc. offerings at the MDR or buffet with no upcharge.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I agree with all BeachTunes noted above. 
Have been to Petite Chef on the 3 Edge class ships and enjoyed each time. A really fun diversion from the ordinary. Each had a different video and menu. 
I would encourage the original poster to rebook. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The animation was fine, and it was actually one of my best meals on Apex, with a really excellent 4-course wine pairing for $20 extra--I thought that was a great value.  I thought it was different and worth the price, even if it is a one-and-done kind of thing.  I say go for it.

• Like 4

We went to it on our Solstice cruise last week.  My wife really wanted to see it, and I was not too excited about going.  It was great.  I have never experienced anything like it before.  It was very entertaining, and the food was very tasty with large portions.  I mixed/matched the menu to get the items I wanted.  Service was very quick.  They had a 30% discount on the first night, which we took advantage of.

• Like 2

We have done it twice, with different menus and animation.

We only went the 2nd time as friends with us wanted to go.

The food was okay, animation was cute but we disliked the structured dinner with everyone having to start each course as the same time ( understand it is necessary).

Is it worth the price of $130 pre cruise NO.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We are signed up for this on our upcoming cruise.  A question I have though is do they have tables for two?  All of the settings I have seen seem to be for a 4-top.  

There were tables for two on Solstice.  We had a nice one by the window (which had the shades drawn for the show.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

I booked Le Petit Chef for our upcoming Alaskan cruise on the Millennium, but then cancelled after reading a few meh-type reviews. Not sure if I should rebook. Is it worth the time/money? There aren't many specialty restaurants on M-class ships, so I thought this might be a fun deviation from the normal menu in the main dining room. But now it seems like maybe not. Would love to hear input from those who have recently experienced it. 

If you have kids it can be fun.

I did it in Equinox last year and enjoyed.

It is better than Wonderland on RCI ships.

There are I think 4 different versions is the dinner. Mine was the one that had Italian and French theme.

• Like 2

We did it a few weeks ago on summit twice and I wanted to do it a third time , always a fun show , four course meal was outstanding we do it at least once on all celebrity cruises, food was far superior to Tuscan grill. ( we were in a royal suite so no charge but we do this even when we pay for it)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It is worth doing it once if you have not been to a dinner projection show.  It is a one and done for most.

Agree with that. Cute for a few minutes of novelty only. YMMV

• Like 2

Is it cute and moderately entertaining?  Yes.  Was the food good?  Yes.  Would I pay money again to eat there - no.  We decided to try it when we recently sailed in a Royal Suite so it was included.  The animation is quite good and very unique, but for that money I will eat elsewhere in the future.  If you sail with kids, then I definitely recommend trying it.  

I always recommend that Le Petit Chef be tried once especially if you are on an M class ship where your specialty restaurant choices are very limited.  Here is a short video of what was being projected onto our dinner plate--showing the "preparation" for the main course during our LPC dinner on Constellation this past fall.

image.gif.426f64355e25e98acb5544e15f1b626b.gif

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I also find it highly entertaining. I think anybody with a sense of fun would. 

I especially love the "and Friends" version where they have the competition. 

So fun to watch the 3 other chefs standing on the side reacting while one makes his/her course. 

I've  always enjoyed the food, but the show (to me) is the main attraction.

If I were a picky eater, or not happy with the main LPC menu for that day, frankly I would not bother.    

One can get alternate / vegetarian, etc. offerings at the MDR or buffet with no upcharge.

Is the menu different each day, and are you able to see what the menu's going to be before making a reservation? Looks like something we'd enjoy, once.

• Like 1