The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday May 3rd, 2023

Good morning all,

I am packed and suitcases are at the door. I am sure I am overpacked but it is what it is. I have a friend taking me to the airport and a car service will pick me up when I return in 26 days.  The flight gets in late and with so many cancellations and delays I don’t want to put anyone in the position having to get me in the middle of the night.

Poor Molly knows something is up. She sees the suitcases and is trying to get in my lap anytime I stop moving. 

Safe travels to fellow Dailylites who are traveling. Prayers to those in need. Have a great day.

• Like 28

IMG_7352.jpeg.c8c9277493bf81ea83815d4859a7b537.jpeg

In 2023, Teacher Appreciation Day was yesterday, May 2 and Teacher Appreciation Week runs from May 8 to May 12.

Teacher Appreciation Week always takes place the first full week of May—and that includes Sunday. Teacher Appreciation Day, on the other hand, takes place on the first Tuesday in May. They line up in most years, but in 2023 there’s an extended celebration. 

Eleanor Roosevelt convinced Congress that we needed a dedicated period to thank teachers for their hard work. Teacher Appreciation Week began in 1953 after Roosevelt spoke before Congress. It wasn’t until 1980, that it became an official national holiday. And it was originally celebrated in March but was moved to the first full week of May in 1984.

Positive thoughts to those who need them. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising

Edited by 0106
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6

IMG_7353.jpeg.2eedb961e428ba204c29bb6888371810.jpeg

@StLouisCruisersLet’s celebrate teachers this week, next week and every week of the year!

@Nickelpenny Thank you for your services as a school nurse.  I don’t think many people outside the school building realize all you do for our students.  I appreciate you and am glad you are getting treats this week.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

It’s pressure check day. 1 month after DHs eye surgery. He’s been off some of the glaucoma  eye drop meds for a week, today we learn more. Only had the stent surgery in one eye but he’s off the one med for both eyes so I’m not sure what we’ll hear. No plan yet for the other eye.  I’m praying for Amazing!  

I join you in your prayers for amazing 🙏 

48 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Well — coming back from my trip has been a bit of a bummer.  On Monday everything was fine.  DD did a great job looking after her father and the house.  But yesterday I woke up to a massive migraine ( my diagnosis reading about symptoms online).  I couldn’t look at food and spent 95% of the day/night in bed.  (No Covid-I took a test.) My sister came over twice to feed DH. I never had a migraine before and never want to experience that again.  I am feeling better today with just a bit of a headache.  Will take it easy today.

I am slowly catching up with the daily.  Thanks to all who post.  Katherine 

Oh dear, Katherine - so sorry to hear about the migraine 😔 They can be vicious and so unbearable.  I’m glad you are feeling improved and hope the headache disappears completely today 🤞 Go slow and take care of yourself, please

37 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Yesterday the Hospice nurse came and started an IV for the antibiotics  and

also started.other meds. I stayed in Tana's  room last night and that seemed to help with the anxiety she is experiencing.  I have been awake since  3 and will find my own bed soon.

You poor thing.  😔. I hope you can sleep and catch up your much needed sleep. 🤞 

@Nickelpenny those treats are well deserved 👍 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We don't have a garden to meditate in, but we have a back yard, I'll take that.  We do have a lumpy rug in our bedroom, but the thought of having to clear everything all out to have it replaced makes me think we'll just keep the lumps a little longer.  Teachers spend their lives trying to make the world better for thousands of students.  I've slept with one of the best for the past 46 years.

Another beautiful day out this morning - bright sunshine, clear sky, and no wind to speak of.  We reached our high of 26C (78F) yesterday, and are expected to hit that temperature again today; a great reprieve from our long, cold winter.  The plants on the deck are loving the heat and sunshine, so we might go out today and see if some of the hanging baskets are available yet.  We sat in the back yard yesterday and calculated that we need 9 large baskets to fill the areas with colour, so we'll have to see what appeals to us this year.  I cheat in the gardening department by buying the baskets and transferring them into our own pots.  I don't like waiting for them to have to fill in on their own; I guess I'm an impatient gardener.

We had a blast yesterday morning  - a couple of us sashayed into the restaurant wearing our tiaras, then another came in with a bag of crowns she'd bought at the dollar store, so all of us were regally accessorized for breakfast.  Lots of laughter ensued and even our waiter got involved.  

@cunnorl and @cruzn single sending good vibes for successful surgeries today.

@marshhawk safe travels; can't wait to hear all about it on your return!

@kazu good luck with the surgeon follow up today.

@RMLincoln hope today's follow up is a good one.

@Lady HudsonI feel your pain with a migraine; I get them occasionally and they knock me down for the day.  Best thing for me is staying in a dark room and making sure there is ginger ale and crackers on the bedside table.

Not much on the agenda today, just have to make an appointment with the eye doctor - I have this rather large floater that suddenly appeared yesterday.  I told DH it was about the size of a border collie floating around my eye.  LOL   I'd like to try the drink of the day, and yay for a wine in my price range!  Definitely will take a pass on the menu suggestion, but because it's warm and DH has the barbecue back up and running for the season, we'll be grilling burgers and will pick up some potato salad to enjoy with them on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayer for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.  Special prayers for the 2 firefighters in Quebec who were lost in the flooding.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

Well — coming back from my trip has been a bit of a bummer.  On Monday everything was fine.  DD did a great job looking after her father and the house.  But yesterday I woke up to a massive migraine ( my diagnosis reading about symptoms online).  I couldn’t look at food and spent 95% of the day/night in bed.  (No Covid-I took a test.) My sister came over twice to feed DH. I never had a migraine before and never want to experience that again.  I am feeling better today with just a bit of a headache.  Will take it easy today.

Katherine as one who has had migraines since childhood - a serious headache like you had should not be self diagnosed as a migraine.  Please call your doctor about this as bad headaches can be a sign of something else going on.  

Sorry to hear that so many people are not doing well but at least some of the dailies are on great cruises or are on their way to great vacations.

I hope that things work out for Tana, glad the nurse came and is giving her more treatments.  Hopefully Terry you can catch up on some sleep today.

I am doing okay - still having post op pain but doctor says it is normal.  I am so glad I had this well before my son's wedding, hopefully I will be fine in a month.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

As a teacher, I certainly wish that the two universities where I teach appreciated more. It would be great to be paid for the many extra hours that I put in to resolve student issues that have been caused by the students themselves. I love teaching, hate the bureaucracy

Busy day seeing clients. Everyone have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

@grapau27 QM2 is back at see.  With the cancelled TA she is doing a 5-day "Coronation Cruise" which I understand sold out almost immediately.  Headed now for Liverpool and will be at sea on the 6th.

@superoma my good doctor's visits were quite a while and probably should come off the celebration list.  I am still feeling week but probably that would be better off in the rotation.  Doing more and maybe it's worth celebrating my fleshing out of my September and November cruises.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a mostly sunny and breezy central Texas.  It is currently 71F and our high will be 80F.  The rain is predicted to hold off until tomorrow evening about 7 pm, which is always a moving target.

I don't think my two small flowerbeds constitute a garden, but I enjoy sitting outside on nice days.  We don't have any lumpy rugs, but I like the explanation of the day that Graham @grapau27  provided.  Thank you, Graham.  I've always appreciated the hard work and long hours teachers put in.

Another interesting quote by Oscar Wilde.

We'll definitely pass on the meal.  Not even our vegetarian DD likes chickpeas.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  While the price is good, I'm not a fan of Syrah.

We've been to Saguenay on a day trip from Quebec where we spent three days on b2bs on Veendam in 2014.  Somehow, I either failed to take pictures, or they were lost.  

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope all you flights go smoothly today, and you have a great time in Vancouver.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you have a good report from the surgeon today, and that the sutures can be removed.  It seems that Ivan has won over at least one neighbor, and it is good he won't be alone today while you are gone.

@RMLincoln  I hope your DH has an amazing report from the eye doctor.

@cat shepard  Ann, that story about Lee Trevino is well known in Texas.  It's still funny.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I'm sorry you had such a horrible headache yesterday, and glad you are better today.  Since this is a first for you, it makes sense to get it checked out. 

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad your presence last night helped Tana be less anxious, and I hope you can get some rest today.

thinking-about-you-memes-winkgo-thinking-of-you-with-this-pose-min-768x1018.thumb.jpg.73d65d510eb8df20942fe17d5d2a5da3.jpg

@cruising sister  Lorraine, safe travels.

@Nickelpenny  School nurses have a difficult job, and they deserve the appreciation too.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad you are able to do more, and are working on your fall cruises.

342718285_800373244756443_3096287152396964496_n.jpg.80a395975a84acccc2ce7d0bf464746b.jpg

343975622_767787204801276_5037159790004158456_n.thumb.jpg.ff160e719a098ed726ff5c9963f20d8c.jpg

339569021_263651725995144_3975772751059612840_n.jpg.8ddc153deda7c0c96328d79e0ad23ef4.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

@StLouisCruisers I think the new fees imposed on people who do the right thing is horrible.  

I think it is more of a realignment of the fees than a brand new fee.  Here's an explanation.  It does make your eyes roll back as it gets complicated.   https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/money-verify/verifying-what-mortgage-fee-changes-mean-people-good-credit-scores-fact-check/536-4ca9dc5a-c9d3-440c-ab43-9082b8e61cc1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

29 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think it is more of a realignment of the fees than a brand new fee.  Here's an explanation.  It does make your eyes roll back as it gets complicated.   https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/money-verify/verifying-what-mortgage-fee-changes-mean-people-good-credit-scores-fact-check/536-4ca9dc5a-c9d3-440c-ab43-9082b8e61cc1

My big take away there is that people with higher credit scores will STILL pay lower overall fees than those with lower credit scores.   Sounds fair to me.

Roy

• Like 12

Good morning, Dailyites, Pat will do some errands on his own this morning, pre-op haircut, and hoping to renew his driver's license, he has an appointment for that on the 8th, when he will still be in hospital, and he hasn't been able to change it on the website or by phone.  I will tend the garden, no time for meditation, there's lots of dead-heading and cleanup to do.  

Then, this afternoon, there's an appointment with the urologist to discuss all that's going on.  I don't suppose he will have had the results of the bone scan yet, just hoping and praying it will be clear.  The visit with the ostomy clinic yesterday wasn't much fun, but I suppose it's better to know ahead of time what the future will hold, and the nurse did say we should be able to travel.   Thursday is clear liquids day and that awful purging, scrubbing with medicated sponges, etc., and then Friday I get to drop him off at the hospital at 8:30.

I have a splitting headache, I can sympathize with Katherine, although mine is not a migraine.  I used to get those, just awful!  Mine is just tension, it started in Ireland, and they usually last from 4 to 6 weeks.  They build up to a crescendo for about 3 weeks and then start to subside.  Very annoying, and bad timing.  

I hope things improve for Tana, and that Jacqui has a good appointment and suture removal.  Also that RMLincoln's DH has an amazing report!  And Bon Voyage to Annie.  I'm thinking of you all.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, tupper10 said:

Katherine as one who has had migraines since childhood - a serious headache like you had should not be self diagnosed as a migraine.  Please call your doctor about this as bad headaches can be a sign of something else going on.  

I agree at our age it is not usual to have first time migraine. I would definitely get it checked out. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

@grapau27 QM2 is back at see.  With the cancelled TA she is doing a 5-day "Coronation Cruise" which I understand sold out almost immediately.  Headed now for Liverpool and will be at sea on the 6th.

@superoma my good doctor's visits were quite a while and probably should come off the celebration list.  I am still feeling week but probably that would be better off in the rotation.  Doing more and maybe it's worth celebrating my fleshing out of my September and November cruises.

Roy

Ok will do

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

I'm sorry to hear about your migraine Katherine.

Can you think of anything that you ate or drank that may have triggered it?

I'm pleased to hear you are feeling better today and I hope you never have another migraine.

Graham.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

I have a question for the dailyites who live in Florida.  Who do you use for your auto insurance.  Ours with State Farm jumped 40% this year, with no accidents.

Try Farm Bureau. You don't have to have a farm. Almost every town has an agent.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We will miss you too Annie.  😘  If you get some free wi-fi somewhere check in with us and let us know how it's going.

That really is odd, Dixie.  1 1/4 parts of what???

Great memes Jacqui!  I hope you and Ivan both slept well after the exercise you both had yesterday.  Good luck at your surgery check!!  (cute photo of Ivan, too!)

That looks terrific!  Only two more ports before Fort Lauderdale believe it or not.  Time flies!

Thanks for the "funnies" Bruce.  Ahhh, I remember many days staying with the grandkids while the adults were away.  Exhausting for sure.  Hope you can catch up on your sleep tonight.

Good luck at the eye pressure check for DH.  And hope you catch up on your sleep tonight too.

Thank you Jake!  I know most Americans will agree with us on those unfair fees.  The minority is always the loudest though.  🤬

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about that horrible migraine you had.  Hope your headache today is gone soon.  

Many prayers for Tana as she goes through this trying period.  And for you, the teenager, and your family members who are doing whatever can be done to help Tana.🙏

No photos yet from me today so here is one of DD playing in the yard with Sadie and Milo, who are half siblings.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKabG7JsKXNk24hPJHDQAzeKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1682988106

Lovely photo Sandi of your DD,Sadie and Milo.

Graham 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, Pat will do some errands on his own this morning, pre-op haircut, and hoping to renew his driver's license, he has an appointment for that on the 8th, when he will still be in hospital, and he hasn't been able to change it on the website or by phone.  I will tend the garden, no time for meditation, there's lots of dead-heading and cleanup to do.  

Then, this afternoon, there's an appointment with the urologist to discuss all that's going on.  I don't suppose he will have had the results of the bone scan yet, just hoping and praying it will be clear.  The visit with the ostomy clinic yesterday wasn't much fun, but I suppose it's better to know ahead of time what the future will hold, and the nurse did say we should be able to travel.   Thursday is clear liquids day and that awful purging, scrubbing with medicated sponges, etc., and then Friday I get to drop him off at the hospital at 8:30.

I have a splitting headache, I can sympathize with Katherine, although mine is not a migraine.  I used to get those, just awful!  Mine is just tension, it started in Ireland, and they usually last from 4 to 6 weeks.  They build up to a crescendo for about 3 weeks and then start to subside.  Very annoying, and bad timing.  

I hope things improve for Tana, and that Jacqui has a good appointment and suture removal.  Also that RMLincoln's DH has an amazing report!  And Bon Voyage to Annie.  I'm thinking of you all.

Take care Ann.

Sending you our good wishes and hope your headache goes soon.

Graham.

• Like 6