perpetual over packer here

redmomof4

We leave Wednesday morning for a Thursday 9n out of PC. I have started laying some stuff out in my suitcases but didn't get far. So, I'm out of town for work this weekend and thought I would finalize my list of what I'm bringing. So proud of myself, being all organized and such. Looking at my itinerary, my excursions, dinner plans etc... and what to wear, what to pack in my embarkation bag (in case luggage is late getting to me) and my clothes alone (gym clothes, swim clothes, shorts/shirts for excursions, dresses for dinners, hats, shoes) covers a whole notebook size piece of paper. Then on the back, I've written out all the "things" I usually bring (toiletries, paperwork, first aid/meds, and just STUFF) and this is almost a whole page too! UGH! When I get home tomorrow night I'm going to start folding and putting stuff in suit cases to see if I can even make it work. I feel like theres no in between, you either pack to much or not enough or your an amazing, experienced, traveler who knows how to do it right!! I'm on the side of PERPETUAL OVERPACKER!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Believe me, you can wear basic outfits many times over, toiletries and med bag a must, walking shoes  and exercise clothes a must for me, but only one outfit, rinse out and hang in bathroom if necessary.  Use your walking shoes for excursions, save your 2 pairs of sandals for onboard dinners. black slacks, one dress, 3 fancy tops and 4 daytime tops, plus two pair of shorts will do you fine. Been on 25 at least cruises.  If you are not flying, go for bringing alot of clothes but if flying only take one carry on roller board and a back pack.  Always bring them onboard the Ship, no worries about luggage getting delays or lost, even at the Port.  Know you are thinking I am nuts, but wearing the same outfits multiple times will save you stress packing, and no one will ever remember if you wore the same thing 9 nights.  Be kind to yourself and under pack, Oh yes underwear a must, but doesn't take up too much room, and easily washable in the shower.  Really understand your dilemma, been there many times, have a packing list now, for all the items like chargers, sunglasses, make up, etc, just check them off as I put them in the bag.  good luck and enjoy vacation.

• Like 7

Mix and match.   A couple of key pieces you can wear various tops with. Nobody cares,or remembers,if you wear the same thing a few times.  And go easy with the shoes.   They add weight and take a lot of room in your suitcase

• Like 2

My rule of thumb…..cut in ½ what you think you’ll use, and you’ll still be overpacking.  I plan one outfit for every 2 days of cruising.  Shoes do double duty.  Tennis shoes for the gym double as close toed shoes for dinner.  Shirts get 2 days unless I got sweaty or spilled something on them.  Pants for venues that require them get 2 days of use. And, they’re khakis with pockets all over the place.  So, they double as a “carry all” on excursions.

I don’t skimp on underwear.  But, that’s the smallest item I pack, so I can fit all that in a small space.

Make use of the ship’s laundry specials.

Carry on luggage only….one roll aboard and one back pack per person.  Easier to traverse the airports, pier, embarkation and disembarkation and saves a few dollars not to have to pay for checked baggage.

I’m presentable, always.  There isn’t one person, on any of my cruises, who will remember what it is I wear/wore.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with overpacking, unless you have to pay airline fees for overweight bags.  I went through a phase of minimalizing, but am back to taking what I want.  If things don't fit in the closet, they can stay in the suitcase, under the bed.

However, I'm talking clothes and accessories.  I don't pack electronics, decorations, bedspread, curtains, flower vases, or the 45 other things that some recommend.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I became a minimal packer after dragging a suitcase and rollaboard across Piazzale Roma while wearing a backpack.  Granted, we had already been traveling for 40 days.  And I was 69.  That was 10 years ago.  From then we determined we would only travel with backpack and roll on bag.  I still pack this way.  If anyone would be so rude as to question how often I wear something, my reply would be ‘it’s my favorite and I try to wear it as often as I can’.  But thus far, no one has asked.  EM

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I became a minimal packer after dragging a suitcase and rollaboard across Piazzale Roma while wearing a backpack.

Been there, done that, feel your pain!

Last time (Oct 2022) I was in Piazzale Roma doing the same thing, I had gotten smart. I only had one medium roller bag and a carry-on bag (small) that perched on top of it -- has a slot to put the suitcase handle through and keep it in place.

That was sufficient and then some for a 19-day cruise.

You don't need a different outfit every day or every evening. You don't need different shoes for every outfit. Mix and match. No one cares if you've worn the same thing before. You don't need to include a lot of extras "just in case" (aside from bringing a few OTC meds). I pack heavy compared to a lot of the PPs,   but manage fine with one checked suitcase and one small carryon for a 28 day cruise. Doing laundry once every week or so is all I need.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

As stated above, no one cares or remembers what you wore before so don’t overthink it

One cruise, I had bought many new tops, all hung nicely waiting to be packed

Forgot them all, and did not realize it till I was unpacking and I used the three tops I did remember to pack. 
I had a small suitcase for just my shoes at one time!

😊

Edited by janetz
  • Haha 2

We definitely overpack, but we fly first so no fees and we recently eliminated one big suitcase, now we use one big suitcase, two garment bags and two carryons. We do get free laundry because of suites and status on rccl and celebrity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

You don't need a different outfit every day or every evening. You don't need different shoes for every outfit. Mix and match. No one cares if you've worn the same thing before. You don't need to include a lot of extras "just in case" (aside from bringing a few OTC meds). I pack heavy compared to a lot of the PPs,   but manage fine with one checked suitcase and one small carryon for a 28 day cruise. Doing laundry once every week or so is all I need.

Hi,😀 I always pack one checked bag and one carry on no matter how many days I am sailing. I have never exceeded the weight limit, no matter what the itinerary happens to be. I think many of the folks are talking about only bringing a carry on (which I have no desire to do really). I like having some choices but I really don't consider myself a big over packer. Now, I am guessing someone who only brings a carry on bag probably thinks a checked bag is over packing LOL.....they can do what is best for them and  we can be happy with how we choose to pack too😀

• Like 3

We overpack - but have no problem with this.

We are local to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and mostly book QM2 transatlantic round trip sailings. It is still unpack _once_ for the entire vacation. Back in 2017 our tablemates had their airline loose checked luggage, so we were able to contribute a few things to keep them presentable for formal nights until we reached Southampton.

If we were planning on a 'non local' sailing [e.g. Amtrak to West Coast; Sailing with Panama Canal full passage; some short of long trip home from west coast disembarkation port] we would bring much less stuff.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I became a minimal packer after dragging a suitcase and rollaboard across Piazzale Roma while wearing a backpack.  Granted, we had already been traveling for 40 days.  And I was 69.  That was 10 years ago.  From then we determined we would only travel with backpack and roll on bag.  I still pack this way.  If anyone would be so rude as to question how often I wear something, my reply would be ‘it’s my favorite and I try to wear it as often as I can’.  But thus far, no one has asked.  EM

How many small bridges did you have to cross to get to your hotel? :classic_smile:

* Fond memories of doing exactly the same thing...we crossed 2 bridges to get to our hotel from Piazzale Roma.

I stopped over packing after lugging a large suitcase from Heathrow to Piccadilly Square. Even after moving to Florida where we are within short driving distance of four cruise ports--and could take as much luggage as we want--we still only take one carry-on sized rolling suitcase each. 

Now, I will admit to being able to cram a surprising amount of clothes in a carry-on bag and it never fails that I end up not wearing about a quarter of the clothes I take. As other have said, mixing and matching with a few foundational pieces is the key to the success of minimal packing. I take three or four pairs of dressier black capris that go with just about anything and that makes up my evening wardrobe. We stopped doing "formal" years ago, so those capris, my normal summer tops, and one pair of black sandals are all I need for evenings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

How many small bridges did you have to cross to get to your hotel? :classic_smile:

* Fond memories of doing exactly the same thing...we crossed 2 bridges to get to our hotel from Piazzale Roma.

One bridge, Hotel Olympia.

There was no elevator to our room.  We had planned to go back across Piazzale Roma and take the train/shuttle to the port, but after two days touring, we decided to spring for. Water taxi.  EM

• Like 1

I am also an over packer except for shoes. Fly with United and have no luggage fees, so no real need to change. I take enough for seven days, with a few extra tops, extra undies, sleep shirts. Always take a raincoat, and for our trip coming up in August will take both a light and a heavier jacket, neck scarf and gloves. Also take my own pillow, always.

If you are simply stepping off of a plane and onto a ship don’t stress, take it all.  For more complicated travel arrangements plan on laundry and if need be shopping for toiletries while traveling. 

I always feel sorry for the people/families I see dragging around big suitcases when I dis/embark and see them struggle getting in and out of lines, negotiating with elevators/stairs (have seen them actually have to pass up elevators because their luggage and the people in it, wouldn’t fit together).

Then I remember, they were the ones who packed it.  So, the sympathy goes away.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I always feel sorry for the people/families I see dragging around big suitcases when I dis/embark and see them struggle getting in and out of lines, negotiating with elevators/stairs (have seen them actually have to pass up elevators because their luggage and the people in it, wouldn’t fit together).

Then I remember, they were the ones who packed it.  So, the sympathy goes away.

There is a solution for that - leave your kids home😉

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 8:13 PM, redmomof4 said:

We leave Wednesday morning for a Thursday 9n out of PC. I have started laying some stuff out in my suitcases but didn't get far. So, I'm out of town for work this weekend and thought I would finalize my list of what I'm bringing. So proud of myself, being all organized and such. Looking at my itinerary, my excursions, dinner plans etc... and what to wear, what to pack in my embarkation bag (in case luggage is late getting to me) and my clothes alone (gym clothes, swim clothes, shorts/shirts for excursions, dresses for dinners, hats, shoes) covers a whole notebook size piece of paper. Then on the back, I've written out all the "things" I usually bring (toiletries, paperwork, first aid/meds, and just STUFF) and this is almost a whole page too! UGH! When I get home tomorrow night I'm going to start folding and putting stuff in suit cases to see if I can even make it work. I feel like theres no in between, you either pack to much or not enough or your an amazing, experienced, traveler who knows how to do it right!! I'm on the side of PERPETUAL OVERPACKER!

I used to be an over packer, but not anymore.  I can do a 2 week trip in a carryon + a backpack ( of course, being a man means I don't have to pack bulky dresses or special toiletries).  Take advantage of the laundry services.  That can cut your packing down by 1/2.  No-one onboard is going to really care if they see you in the same outfit during the cruise.  Take half of what you have planned, then if you really need something, you can always buy it in port.  I have purchased many shirts from different ports.  People comment " Beautiful shirt, where did you get it".  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mom says said:

I think between the two of us we will have one medium sized roller suitcase and two small carry on size. Problem is, my husband packs more than me! I'm gonna try to downsize a little tonight. 

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi,😀 I always pack one checked bag and one carry on no matter how many days I am sailing. I have never exceeded the weight limit, no matter what the itinerary happens to be. I think many of the folks are talking about only bringing a carry on (which I have no desire to do really). I like having some choices but I really don't consider myself a big over packer. Now, I am guessing someone who only brings a carry on bag probably thinks a checked bag is over packing LOL.....they can do what is best for them and  we can be happy with how we choose to pack too😀

This is me too! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redmomof4 said:

Problem is, my husband packs more than me! I'm gonna try to downsize a little tonight. 

We have similar husbands. My suitcase is usually a 25 inch. He brings a 28 inch, and is usually just ounces  under the weight limit. He blames it on all the shoes he feels he must have.  This is true, but he also packs a lot of unnecessary "just in case" items.

• Haha 1