Pickle Ball - Who Knew?

jetsfan58

The Sport of Pickle Ball was once a 55+ Retirement Community sport. Now, according to the growing popularity, it is spreading onto College campuses and suburbia. I realize that Carnival has concentrated on providing us all with fantastic food alternatives, but should they really be considering this sporting recreation activity as all inclusive on their ships? 

While Carnival is poising itself for full-time legacy revenue options, are Fleet-Wide Pickle Ball play areas an answer? 

Carnival Cruise Nuts are curious?  

1 minute ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I have played pickleball on the Panorama and it was just for an hour on the basketball court.  I would be willing to bring my own net and play during times when basketball is not happening.

• Like 1

Seems like an awfully large area (well over 1,000 square feet) to take up for something that only 4 people can use at a time.  I can't think of any other current activity on Carnival that is that inefficient of a use of space.

People who are nuts about pickleball know where they can play at home. They don't really need to play on a ship. And I say that as someone who likes to play pickleball.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

True 🙂

But unlike a pickleball court, at least the art gallery is a source of revenue.

Just schedule the pickle ball games in the morning before the basketball players wake up. Those pickleball players are probably up by 5am. Let’em have it till 9.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

Not everything on the ship has to be a direct source of revenue.

At the end of the day, this is pleasure cruise vacations and not an investment bank.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

Thank you for the active and candid responses. As always I am amazed at the varied responses. My perspective is that any business better be concerned with profit and loss activities or they will not be in business long.   

Carnival is a business entity. The Pickle Ball courts will not be a charge facility but they will entice a mature and spending crowd to participate. As far as injuries, I have witnessed passengers going down a flight of stairs, misstep and twist an ankle. Running, exercising, stretching to make your shot is a risk any athlete takes. Physicians are already onboard the ship to examine any patient.

3 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Carnival is a business entity. The Pickle Ball courts will not be a charge facility but they will entice a mature and spending crowd to participate.

If you think the complaints about lounge chair hogs are bad, imagine if 100+ people book a particular cruise ship because it has pickleball when only 4 people at a time are able to play?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Not everything on the ship has to be a direct source of revenue.

Of course not, but space on a cruise ship is very precious, and it doesn't make sense to have an non-revenue activity on board that requires 250-300 square feet of space per person.  That's more space than most cabins.

Edited by staceyglow

5 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Of course not, but space on a cruise ship is very precious, and it doesn't make sense to have an non-revenue activity on board that requires 250-300 square feet of space per person.  That's more space than most cabins.

Not every square foot of the ship will be useful for every passenger. There are a lot of people who won't cruise without recreation like a walking track or basketball courts being available.

• Like 2

On the Spirit in January they had a "Pickleball hour" scheduled.  I had brought my paddles, as I heard Spirit had pb, and wanted to see how they ran it.  Unfortunately a few things happened: 1. the person running it had never seen pb played, and had no idea of the rules, etc.  2.  As dh was home working, and my dd (my cruise partner) does not play, I was the solo "singles" player.  I offered to teach, ref the games, etc., play alone, but was told "no."  A guy walks up in flip flops - never heard of the game- and wanted to play.  I was paired with him.  No problem - except for the fact he was going to play in flip-flops, which is ultra dangerous.  3.  There were 11 pairs who wanted to play - only one other pair knew what the game was.  Again - np, as I was willing to help the newbies with the rules, etc.  4.  There was no kitchen, which is a major factor in the game. And of course people stood right at the net trying to slam the ball.  5.  It then started pouring.  We waited.  And waited.  And then the rain finally stopped, but the court was soaking wet.  I told them this was a major liability, but they were going to play anyway.  At that point I thanked the person "running" it, and left, as I did not want to possibly slip and be injured, or see someone injured.

Love the idea that they have pb, but line the court correctly and have someone running it who kind of knows what they are doing - lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

The new ships have done away with the "Art gallery" scam.

Just off the newest ship the Celebration, and can confirm there was a dedicated space for the art auction.  I was happy to see that the art wasn't displayed all over the public areas though.

• Thanks 1

In order for it to really work, there needs to be a dedicated space for it instead of trying to use the basketball court and turn it into a multi use set up.  If there is a dedicated spot and there are Carnival fun team members that know the rules and can educate newbies about the game, it would add to the cruise experience.

NCL has dedicated space within a fenced in area to keep from losing balls on their newest ship, the Prima and will have it as well on it's sister ship the Viva.

3 minutes ago, mschancey said:

What is "Pickleball" and why do you need a "kitchen?

A quick Google search will mention that "the kitchen " is a seven foot section from the net where players are not allowed to be standing in order to be near the net in order to slam the ball back towards their opponents.  

In general, pickleball is a hybrid of tennis and ping pong played in a miniature sized tennis court.  Games are either singles or more often doubles.  Very popular in the retirement communities and have since expanded elsewhere.

12 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I am kind of on the fence in terms of your thoughts on PB.  Having an hour dedicated to a court seems totally in line with Carnival’s plan to give as many options for a FUN vacation as they can.  Just my HO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Just schedule the pickle ball games in the morning before the basketball players wake up. Those pickleball players are probably up by 5am. Let’em have it till 9.

….and who says you are not a team player.

• Haha 2

People can't keep the ping pong balls on the ship. And playing any sport on a moving ship isn't the same as playing on land.  I don't see this ending well...

Edited by Eli_6