Pickle Ball - Who Knew?

jetsfan58

11 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

People can't keep the ping pong balls on the ship. And playing any sport on a moving ship isn't the same as playing on land.  I don't see this ending well...

It's not a ping pong ball, it's more like a whiffle ball. 

I saw a YouTube video which showed there were several people standing in line waiting to play PB on one of Royals  ships.  Given the rising popularity of the game, I think they’d have lots of people playing.  

This video is very informative.  

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

It's not a ping pong ball, it's more like a whiffle ball. 

I was more referring to the fact that there never seems to be any ping pong balls with the ping pong tables.  I have to assume they end up in the ocean.  But, then again, the age of pickle ballers is a little different than most of the people playing at the ping pong table (ahem, children...sometimes my children) so they are probably more careful. 

Admittedly, I have watched pickle ball but never played it so I don't have a good grasp of how "bouncy" the ball is.  If it was a tennis ball, some would definitely be donated to the fishes.  

20 hours ago, Roscoe13 said:

I have played pickleball on the Panorama and it was just for an hour on the basketball court.  I would be willing to bring my own net and play during times when basketball is not happening.

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

People can't keep the ping pong balls on the ship. And playing any sport on a moving ship isn't the same as playing on land.  I don't see this ending well...

On Spirit (and I'm sure the other ships) Pickleball was played on the netted-in basketball court, so the balls stayed "inside."  But that area on Spirit was an absolute wind tunnel - and the ship was docked.  It would be very difficult to have the Pickleball go where you wanted it to go when the ship was moving. ( I have seen ping pong and golf balls from mini-golf sail over the side of the ship!)

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I was more referring to the fact that there never seems to be any ping pong balls with the ping pong tables.  I have to assume they end up in the ocean.  But, then again, the age of pickle ballers is a little different than most of the people playing at the ping pong table (ahem, children...sometimes my children) so they are probably more careful. 

Admittedly, I have watched pickle ball but never played it so I don't have a good grasp of how "bouncy" the ball is.  If it was a tennis ball, some would definitely be donated to the fishes.  

They would play on the basketball court which is surrounded by a net.

12 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

Just off the newest ship the Celebration, and can confirm there was a dedicated space for the art auction.  I was happy to see that the art wasn't displayed all over the public areas though.

I guess I will enjoy the Horizon, Panorama, and maybe someday I'll go on Mardi Gras again.  It was nice not getting the art gallery spam in my mailbox

On 5/15/2023 at 3:23 AM, pe4all said:

On the Spirit in January they had a "Pickleball hour" scheduled.  I had brought my paddles, as I heard Spirit had pb, and wanted to see how they ran it.  Unfortunately a few things happened: 1. the person running it had never seen pb played, and had no idea of the rules, etc.  2.  As dh was home working, and my dd (my cruise partner) does not play, I was the solo "singles" player.  I offered to teach, ref the games, etc., play alone, but was told "no."  A guy walks up in flip flops - never heard of the game- and wanted to play.  I was paired with him.  No problem - except for the fact he was going to play in flip-flops, which is ultra dangerous.  3.  There were 11 pairs who wanted to play - only one other pair knew what the game was.  Again - np, as I was willing to help the newbies with the rules, etc.  4.  There was no kitchen, which is a major factor in the game. And of course people stood right at the net trying to slam the ball.  5.  It then started pouring.  We waited.  And waited.  And then the rain finally stopped, but the court was soaking wet.  I told them this was a major liability, but they were going to play anyway.  At that point I thanked the person "running" it, and left, as I did not want to possibly slip and be injured, or see someone injured.

Love the idea that they have pb, but line the court correctly and have someone running it who kind of knows what they are doing - lol.

Almost identical to my experience on the Panorama this past January.  

They called it a pickleball tournament but it wasn't and it was a free for all.  The entertainment staff member that showed up with the net wasn't versed in pickleball so we set the net and the "lines" up for him.

Both my buddy and I fell and neither one of is necessarily clumsy.  Rather, the basketball court surface actually grabs your shoe soles if you try to slide and I fell over my shoes.  Nothing a Choca latini couldn't cure.

On the plus side, I got to play on a ship.  While in Mazatlan.  During sail away.  Check mark!!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 7:30 PM, vwrestler171 said:

I guess I will enjoy the Horizon, Panorama, and maybe someday I'll go on Mardi Gras again.  It was nice not getting the art gallery spam in my mailbox

Noooo!  Try the Celebration!  We did not get any spam of any kind all week.  No art auctions ads, no spa promos, and no liquor sale flyers.  It was great!

On 5/17/2023 at 12:26 AM, hockeyluver said:

Carnival Conquest has a dedicated pickleball court 😄

Hi @hockeyluver🙂

Thank you for the information! I just looked up that particular press release. WOW, a permanent dedicated pickleball court.

20230518-161123.jpg

Carnival-Conquest-Team-Plays-Pickleball-

Above Info located @:

https://carnival-news.com/2022/10/26/carnival-conquest-debuts-first-dedicated-pickleball-court-in-carnival-fleet/

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 3

On 5/14/2023 at 5:03 PM, evandbob said:

Pickleball is a major cause of senior folk getting injured, so hopefully medical help will be easily accessible to wherever the courts will be located on the ship.

From posts here concerning folks who have needed medical attention it sounds like Carnival is treating the medical facility as yet another revenue stream...... so having several dedicated pickeball courts could in fact be a money maker.  😁

Edited by groundloop
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, groundloop said:

From posts here concerning folks who have needed medical attention it sounds like Carnival is treating the medical facility as yet another revenue stream...... so having several dedicated pickeball courts could in fact be a money maker.  😁

I am not aware that Carnival bills any differently than any other cruise line for medical services….and have had to use 3 different cruise line “facilities”…..

The court could be positioned as to be shielded from the wind. I really think Carnival should strongly consider bring this growing sport onboard. Again this will open up a whole new clientele interested abd invested in this amazing recreational sport.  

• Like 1

Another thought. Carnival should think outside the box on this one. Who says the court has to be outdoors? Build it indoors adjacent to the workout facility? You have showers, bathrooms,hardwood floors, cucumber/orange water and no wind!!!!! 

Sounds like a real Carnival Cruise Nuts Plan!!!

On 5/17/2023 at 8:00 AM, CeleBrat said:

Noooo!  Try the Celebration!  We did not get any spam of any kind all week.  No art auctions ads, no spa promos, and no liquor sale flyers.  It was great!

I've been on Mardi Gras and didn't care for that class of ship.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

The court could be positioned as to be shielded from the wind. I really think Carnival should strongly consider bring this growing sport onboard. Again this will open up a whole new clientele interested abd invested in this amazing recreational sport.  

Sign me up if CCL does this -  run by private group cruising on RCCL.

https://pickleballcruises.com

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

I really think Carnival should strongly consider bring this growing sport onboard. 

Hi @jetsfan58🙂

From reply #39 in your thread.

Carnival installed a (Permanent, Dedicated) Pickleball court to Carnival Conquest during its previous Dry-Dock.

Below is the (Press Release & Photo) of the Permanent, Dedicated Pickleball Court on-board Carnival Conquest.

Keep an eye out on future dry-docks to see if Carnival adds more permanent dedicated Pickleball courts to its ships.

20230518-161123.jpg

■----- Here Is A Photo Of The Permanent Dedicated Pickleball Court Added To Carnival Conquest During Its Previous Dry-Dock⬇️

Carnival-Conquest-Team-Plays-Pickleball-

** Click On Link For Above Information:

https://carnival-news.com/2022/10/26/carnival-conquest-debuts-first-dedicated-pickleball-court-in-carnival-fleet/

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

An ER Doctor told me he generally sees 1 pickleball accident victim per shift.  Claims mostly senior people thinking they can play like they are 20 yrs old, and the body saying not so fast.

Trips, falls, twisted ankles and separated shoulders are common injuries he sees.

Edited by evandbob

Thanks to everyone who has provided commentary to this topic. You have truly enlightened us with your input into this growing recreational sport. When I first became interested in the sport it was strictly confined to the 55+ communities and a few social circles. The day I saw the interest moving into College campuses I knew that this recreational sport had legs and longevity.

Maybe some of the Carnival beards (as our beloved Mr. John Heald refers to the Senior Leadership) will by chance read this piece and begin a Carnival Cruise wide campaign to ensure that current and future customers are offered this exciting event.    

• Like 1

Just read an interesting article where the more astute Pickle Ball players are purchasing personalized paddles to play with. They are embossing everything from their Fraternity/Sorority logos to pictures of pets. If this is not cutting edge stuff then I really don't know what is? 

It will be interesting to see what eventually happens? Who knows that in our continued quest to find the sometimes "elusive" Cruise Ducks that the prize Duck may be sporting a "Pickle Ball" outfit?