Help me choose: Western Caribbean (Harmony) or Southern Caribbean (Oasis)?

We are a family of 4 (kids will be 9 years old). Twins and spouse has never been on a cruise before. I am pulling my hair out in trying to choose between the Western Caribbean on Harmony (ports are Galveston, Roatan, Honduras, Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico, Cozumel, Mexico) or Southern Caribbean on Oasis (ports are Miami, Nassau, Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas, Labadee, Haiti, Falmouth, Jamaica). The ports on the western Caribbean seem so much more fun and adventurous, but doesn't stop at CocoCay. Would the kids be ok in the Western ports (both safety and entertaining)? Are we missing out if we don't stop at CocoCay? Are the ships a factor as in one is so much better than the other? Any insight would be very, very helpful. TIA. 

4 minutes ago, CruisePierPressure said:

We are a family of 4 (kids will be 9 years old). Twins and spouse has never been on a cruise before. I am pulling my hair out in trying to choose between the Western Caribbean on Harmony (ports are Galveston, Roatan, Honduras, Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico, Cozumel, Mexico) or Southern Caribbean on Oasis (ports are Miami, Nassau, Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas, Labadee, Haiti, Falmouth, Jamaica). The ports on the western Caribbean seem so much more fun and adventurous, but doesn't stop at CocoCay. Would the kids be ok in the Western ports (both safety and entertaining)? Are we missing out if we don't stop at CocoCay? Are the ships a factor as in one is so much better than the other? Any insight would be very, very helpful. TIA. 

Jamaica is the only port that I know of with a safety warning. 

Why not drive to Galveston and in 2024 there are 6 on harmony that go to coco cay you can book for next year. 8 days to see coco cay but the prices out of texas are better. 

Oasis and harmony close, though harmony is newer. Same class. I love oasis class, you cant go wrong with either. Oasis has cats not many people's favorite

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CruisePierPressure said:

At that age the kids will have as much fun on the ship as they would PDCC, I would not let that be the determining factor.  The ships are more alike than different so that is a push.

For me , on this one, airfare from Phoenix would play a major role, but you can't go wrong either way.

As far as Jamaica and a safety warning, I would not give that a second thought, you will have zero issues.

Since it’s your first cruise I would say book the one that’s least expensive. Both are great ships and the itineraries are both new to you so you should have a great time on either. Personally I’d pick the Western itinerary but would be happy to sail either.

• Like 1

When I read the title, I was going to reply that any southern route is better than a western route but when I saw the itineraries, that changed. I can't believe they are calling the Oasis cruise a southern itinerary. The Bahamas aren't even IN the Caribbean. Now knowing what the itineraries are, I vote for the western on Harmony. There will be lots of fun things to do in those ports. As others have mentioned, the ships alone will keep everyone occupied.

• Like 3

Good advice in all the posts above, IMO. I'm assuming Harmony from Galveston is cheaper, especially if you can drive, so I'd go with that.

I don't think the ship will matter (they're very similar) and 9 year olds will likely have a great time no matter the ports. If firefly's suggestion to do CocoCay from Galveston another time works, even better.

I agree with others.   What they are advertising as southern cruise is Not southern at all.   A southern cruise should at least stop in Aruba.   

I vote for Harmony with western itinerary.   There will be plenty of funs things to do at all those ports.   

And should be cheaper than going to perfect day where your kids would probably want to do the water park that could cost over $100 pp.  

• Like 1

Since the ships are similar I would focus on price and itinerary. Really depends on what your family likes to do. If you are interested in beaching both CocoCay and Labadee are total beach/water days. The Western itinerary offers more options for exploring - Mayan ruins, etc. I would generally say to check how much time is in each port, but with kids that might not be an issue. They may be ready to get back on the boat after a couple of hours.

I've done the western ports many times and enjoy them. Heading on this "Southern" itinerary in November. Picked for a beach-heavy cruise with my daughter. Whichever you choose you will have a great time. Kids will get to see something new everyday and it will open up a whole new world for them.

14 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I can't believe they are calling the Oasis cruise a southern itinerary.

9 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

They're calling that a "southern" route? That's garbage.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What they are advertising as southern cruise is Not southern at all.

They aren't. 
If you look at the Royal website and search Oasis Caribbean sailings, they are calling that route "Western Caribbean and Perfect Day".

Untitledpicture.thumb.png.77938bc728330d5dc9fdba41a4d13bcc.png

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

They aren't. 
If you look at the Royal website and search Oasis Caribbean sailings, they are calling that route "Western Caribbean and Perfect Day".

I had this suspicion but was too lazy to check. That said, no biggie, the advice given to the OP is still valid.

16 hours ago, CruisePierPressure said:

Southern Caribbean on Oasis (ports are Miami, Nassau, Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas, Labadee, Haiti, Falmouth, Jamaica).

This is not a Southern Caribbean itinerary. With the exception of Jamaica, it has always been classified as an eastern itinerary. Adding Jamaica to the route makes it a WINO itinerary (Western in Name Only), but I would take this route in a heartbeat over the Western on Harmony. Roatan is a depressing pit of a slum, the closest civilization to Costa Maya is a small beachside town two+ miles away, and the dock in Cozumel is a good 2-miles from the center of town.

BTW, Southern Caribbean cruises typically visit Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, etc. 

Edited by orville99

I am SO sorry! I have been overwhelmed with choices. They are calling it a Western itinerary and not Southern. I wanted Southern....so I think I had that in my head (actual Southern). I am very sorry. 

Anyways....I am choosing Harmony's itinerary. I would much rather hang out with a sloth than go down waterslides. My twins will not be missing out. 😆 Thank you everyone! image.thumb.png.5bad5ece1bffbba9cbd9bf83de1aa572.png

• Like 10

6 hours ago, CruisePierPressure said:

I wanted Southern....so I think I had that in my head (actual Southern). I am very sorry. 

If you truely want a Southern Caribbean Itinerary, look at Adventure of the seas out of Port Canaveral. We have three of those booked for 2024 and 2025.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CruisePierPressure said:

I am SO sorry! I have been overwhelmed with choices. They are calling it a Western itinerary and not Southern. I wanted Southern....so I think I had that in my head (actual Southern). I am very sorry. 

Anyways....I am choosing Harmony's itinerary. I would much rather hang out with a sloth than go down waterslides. My twins will not be missing out. 😆 Thank you everyone! 

I think you are making a smart decision.  Unless you really wanted to pay an extra $150 per person to take the kids to the waterpark in Coco Cay, the Harmony itinerary is better in my opinion.  We avoid any cruises that stop in Nassau and Jamaica, otherwise we just stay on the ship those days.  We feel much safer on the 3 stops you have picked on the Western Caribbean sailing.

Look into Victor Bodden tours (booked privately) for an amazing time in Roatan.  Do not miss the sloths and ask to do that as early in the morning as possible (they are more "lively" then).  Also be sure to go to West Bay in Roatan and be sure to snorkel to the far left of the beach beyond the roped off area on the beach.  Hands down the best snorkeling we have done from shore.  They also offer a reasonable option to add a dolphin swim if that is something you wish to try.  The poster above who called Roatan a slum must have been there years ago.  It has changed in the 20 years we have been visiting.

So much to do in Cozumel.  Yes, you are not docking in town, but there are great beach clubs that are fun to visit for the day and so many other choices to do there.

Costa Maya may not be the best for the kids.  Take a cab to the strip for about $3 or $4 each and it is a nice day on the beach.  Seaweed can be bad at times.  If you just stay at the port, there is a very Disneyesque port area with tons of shops, a pool, bars, etc. if you choose not to leave the port area.  There used to be a good waterpark here but it closed when Covid hit and never reopened.

We have never sailed from Texas before, but have 2 booked in the next year and a half from there.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CruisePierPressure said:

Anyways....I am choosing Harmony's itinerary. I would much rather hang out with a sloth than go down waterslides. My twins will not be missing out. 😆 Thank you everyone! image.thumb.png.5bad5ece1bffbba9cbd9bf83de1aa572.png

Have a great cruise, I am sure some of us can answer any questions on Galveston or any of the other ports, highly suggest you get to Galveston a day early.

• Like 1

Roatan is one of my favorite ports with kids.  We've used Bodden adventures twice, and they are great.  At least precovid, Bodden has monkeys at his home, there's an iguana farm (bring bananas for both places) and South Shore's adventure has a really nice canopy walk/zip line.

In Costa Maya, I really liked Native Choice's mayan experience tour.  Not sure if your kids would like this because it involves visiting Mayan Ruins (they're small but you can climb part of them and they make for great photos) and then the Mayan grandmothers cook you a delicious authentic lunch.

In Jamaica, we liked Dolphin Cove (across the street from Dunn's River Falls) that's near Ochos rios, so not sure how close to falmouth.  We also love eating at Scotchie's which is a chain of jerk chicken all over the island.

I was in Roatan twice, and the port area where you met your tour guide was a little sketchy 15 years ago, but felt totally safe when we returned 8 years ago with our three year old.  I think they've invested a lot in tourism on Roatan, so the major tourist sites are safe there (and I feel the same way about Jamaica).  Mainland Honduras itself has a lot of violence, but the tourist areas are very safe on the island of Roatan.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 7:18 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

When I read the title, I was going to reply that any southern route is better than a western route but when I saw the itineraries, that changed. I can't believe they are calling the Oasis cruise a southern itinerary. The Bahamas aren't even IN the Caribbean. Now knowing what the itineraries are, I vote for the western on Harmony. There will be lots of fun things to do in those ports. As others have mentioned, the ships alone will keep everyone occupied.

I agree! When did they start calling that itinerary Southern??? The itinerary I have taken for Southern the 3 times I have done it have been from San Juan which included the ABC islands or with port stops in Barbados, St Croix, St. Lucia, Antigua. Most southern ports oasis class ships can’t go to because they are just too big. 

I would do the Western of these two choices because I am not a big hang out on the beach person so to have Coco Cay and Labadee as stops on the same cruise would be a deal breaker for me. 

• Like 1