Man Overboard - Carnival Magic

StephPS79

53 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

I'm 6'2 and have been on 14 cruises. I've never figured out how someone can just fall over a ships railing unless they were 8ft tall. You have to be really drunk and or doing something really stupid. Most if not all cruise ship railing are 42 inches tall

• Like 14

The article I read mentioned he was having the time of his life, drinking, gambling and socializing.  As sad as it is, I'm willing to bet this gentleman wasn't simply "leaning over" the balcony railing as it was written in the article.  The whole "passenger fell off the ship" headline is ridiculous.  You don't just fall off a ship willy nilly.  You are doing something you shouldn't, you jump or you are pushed.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I just saw an interview with his fiancé. She said “he leaned over (his balcony) and fell”.  That’s interesting. 

He must have been leaning very far. My boys are both 6’5” and we’ve checked, with normal behavior they couldn’t “fall” over. Very sad for the fiancé and the rest of those who care about him. 

• Like 2

Everything about this screams stupidity. Saying that I'm wondering where his balcony  room was. I know that ship well and i dont see how you can fall in the water from deck 6 or higher...deck 5  has an outdoor walkway that surrounds the ship and should catch anyone falling over..

I would think youd half to literally spring dive off the railing to make it into the ocean..I'm thinking he had a cove balcony...you are going in the water from that deck..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

From what I have heard one of his friends dared him to jump and he did. Don't know how true that is.

That was a different person, an 18 year old who jumped off the Blackbeard's Revenge in the Bahamas on a dare from his friends. They were on a graduation trip staying at the Atlantis. It was first reported that he jumped off a cruise ship but later corrected that it was a sunset cruise.

16 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I just saw an interview with his fiancé. She said “he leaned over (his balcony) and fell”.  That’s interesting. 

I wonder how she knows that? From reading other reports he went over at 4:10am but he wasn’t reported missing until the afternoon. 

people I know who have never cruised say that’s why I’ll never cruise. You can fall off the ship too easy. I try to tell them but they aren’t having any of it. (Shrug)

• Like 6

Well, we'll never know the whole story here.  He went overboard 8 hours before he was determined to be missing and then several hours before they discovered he went over via the video.  We don't know what deck his balcony was on but the ship was moving to Norfolk the entire time. If there was any weather ( and I think a low pressure system was over the SE coast) he most likely drowned shortly after hitting the water.  Sad for the family.  

51 minutes ago, Crusin Hogs said:

There is 1 hole in this whole story  The Magic has deck 5 that comes out  10-15ft  past the sides of the ship.  There are no balcony's below deck 5     

There are some cove balconies under the lifeboats.  Also some very forward balconies clear the deck 5 lanai.  It's definitely possible.  Although I feel like the cove balconies would be even hard to "fall out" of.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

So, I'm confused.   If the body wasn't recovered then what funeral expenses are there?  Or, am I missing something here?

You can certainly have a funeral without a body.

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I wonder how she knows that? From reading other reports he went over at 4:10am but he wasn’t reported missing until the afternoon. 

people I know who have never cruised say that’s why I’ll never cruise. You can fall off the ship too easy. I try to tell them but they aren’t having any of it. (Shrug)

Apparently Carnival has video footage of him falling, but it wasn't reviewed or discovered until after he was reported missing.

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I have friends also that will not cruise for this very reason. I really wish the media wouldn't say fall/fell off a cruise ship but instead would use went overboard.

You cannot just fall off a cruise ship.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I saw a social media post made by the traveling companion (fiancé, lover, whatever label) that was made shortly after Carnival reviewed the footage. She said he came back to the room after drinking and gambling but when she woke up later that morning he was gone. She said that was normal for them to go do their own thing, so she didn’t immediately worry. It wasn’t until hours later when she couldn’t find him in his usual spots that she reported it. Carnival reviewed the security footage and “told her what happened”. She didn’t specify whether he fell or jumped but the official statement from Carnival has been that he fell.