Equinox Menu - Main Dining Upcharges Showing on App

thebutlerdidit

20 hours ago, CunucuMom said:

I notice they added a double cheeseburger to the MDR menu for our September Equinox cruise.  🤣🤣

Is it the faux Kobe beef they tried to charge for at the pool grill a few years ago before quickly reversing due to the uproar?

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons I stopped sailing with Royal now your paying top dollar to eat at Denny's I don't think so. Going to sail now more with princess and Holland cancelling upcoming cruise on celebrity 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mark_T said:

For the Entrées there are 7 items on the menu, 3 are what used to be the 'always available' options with the change that one alternates between salmon and another fish, so salmon is not a daily option any more.

Of the remaining 4, one will be vegetarian...

Clearly they have rolled in the 'always available' to give the illusion of choice, but this has to be viewed as an incredibly limited menu now with some low cost proteins replacing the better quality items we used to get...

When I sailed Reflections early last year I had noticed the MDR menu was drastically abbreviated and the food was mediocre. The food in the OVC was the lowest quality on the ship. Lots of heavy sauces and pasta to cover that fact. With the food quality and excessively rising prices, the premium and luxury lines have been looking much more appealing. 

I usually book cruises when itineraries are first released because that has always been the best pricing even with later promotions.  I wouldn't do that on Celebrity because booking two years out, you never know how many changes will be made before you sail thus negating some of the reasons I would have booked. Celebrity has been doing that a lot over the past few years.It appears to have accelerated lately.  Where does it end?

I booked an Azamara cruise last year for '24 and one last week for one in '25. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

An interesting discussion but all the major cruise operators (except for MSC...) are saddled with HUGE debt and have to start paying it off.  Corners will be cut in a race to the bottom before consumers "complain" which does not involve letters or emails - it involves NOT booking!

That in itself can also start a negative cycle of ships not being full leading to discounting leading to further cuts ....🤷‍♂️

While some posters are referencing HAL, my travel agent says she has become VERY reluctant to book HAL and Princess because of all of the complaints she's getting from her clients. For what it's worse, she has fewer complaints with Celebrity.

On my recent cruise on Regent, I was taken aback by many low cost items on the buffet - luxury doesn't appear to be a guarantee these days!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I booked an Azamara cruise last year for '24 and one last week for one in '25. 

Have you sailed Azamara during the past two years? Do you find their food quality better than Celebrity’s? I wonder if they’re immune to the changes and cutbacks being reported on other lines. I ask because I’ve never been able to convince myself (or my husband) that Azamara is a good value for us. That could change if we learn that Azamara has a better product that isn’t constantly eroding.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

I was just getting ready to put a deposit down for a Hawaii cruise in the spring. But after our Constellation cruise in February and the pitiful buffet selection (other than breakfast) and the downgraded dinners in the MDR, sadly we will look for another cruise. We aren't foodies per se but enjoy a good meal. They'd already cut the menu and had taken away some of our favorites. I am in a calorie deficit right now getting ready for a fitness competition...maybe if I do it again I should do so while on a Celebrity cruise, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

An interesting discussion but all the major cruise operators (except for MSC...) are saddled with HUGE debt and have to start paying it off.  Corners will be cut in a race to the bottom before consumers "complain" which does not involve letters or emails - it involves NOT booking!

That in itself can also start a negative cycle of ships not being full leading to discounting leading to further cuts ....🤷‍♂️

While some posters are referencing HAL, my travel agent says she has become VERY reluctant to book HAL and Princess because of all of the complaints she's getting from her clients. For what it's worse, she has fewer complaints with Celebrity.

On my recent cruise on Regent, I was taken aback by many low cost items on the buffet - luxury doesn't appear to be a guarantee these days!

I spent 29 days on two different Princess cruise ships last year (and have spent 22 days on 2 different Celebrity ships since the restart) and did not have a great food experience on either Princess ship.  Although the MDRs on both lines wasn't significantly different, the buffet on Celebrity blew away the very sad state of Princess's buffet.

Unless people have the money to move up to more luxury lines, I'm not sure they are going to find something better elsewhere (and even those luxury lines are making cuts).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Have you sailed Azamara during the past two years? Do you find their food quality better than Celebrity’s? I wonder if they’re immune to the changes and cutbacks being reported on other lines. I ask because I’ve never been able to convince myself (or my husband) that Azamara is a good value for us. That could change if we learn that Azamara has a better product that isn’t constantly eroding.

My last AZ cruise was 12/21. Yes the food quality is better than Celebrity.  I didn't see a degradation of the food but I wouldn't be surprised if it has somewhat since then.  However I doubt it would ever degrade to the same level Celebrity has or would. 

I did three Regent cruises last year because when I booked during the pandemic, their pricing was less than Celebrity for the same size cabin but with many more perks included. Thus no time for Azamara until next year.  I started a new project that requires lots of hours getting established.  Besides with six cruises within a little over a year I needed to give my DW a break..

Both my AZ cruises are aft facing so it's more expensive but I felt a good value for what I'm looking for.  That is subjective though. YMMV. The one we have booked for 2025 goes to small Greek islands that most ships don't and includes an overnight in Venice.  It includes gratuities, wifi, premium drinks and $1,200 OBC.

I also looked at my retirement account and realized I was not going to take it with me so why not go for quality.  As long as a cruise line gives me what I'm seeking, they get more bookings from us.  I also started looking at Oceania. It's been a long time since we've been on them.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kruzerci said:

OVC has slipped. No salmon or good fish- tilapia and fish and chips is all I have seen at lunch and dinner. 

2-3 stations open for dinner nightly generally the same food as lunch with a few twists. Chicken is mostly bone in dark meat. Large salad and dessert selections but primarily flavorless dressings and dessert. If you look hard, you can find 1-2 desserts per day that are dense and rich, but most are the bland and fluffy- taste like nothing cake and pies. 

Anything in particular you were interested in knowing?

We were on a B2B on the Beyond in Feb.  The food was the biggest disappointment of the two weeks.  The OVC was pretty much a joke.  The selections were very limited.  We have an 8 day booked on the Equinox in Oct and then 2 B2B's on Carnival.  We are looking forward to the MDR on Carnival after seeing the new menus that are being rolled out.  We first cruised X in 2019 and thought we had found a new favorite cruise line.  Probably not so any more.  😞 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t mind the upcharge options. Princess has done this a while with the header on the menu stating “Make the Evening Extra Special”. Fine, whatever , get your money large corporation. For me, the issue is the cutbacks to the menu. Looking at Princess menus, there are many appetizer and entree options, plus the “Princess Favorites” offered each night. I’ll be sailing the Equinox this week (started a live blog this morning) and then Princess for a Glacier Bay cruise so it’ll be an interesting comparison. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, prmssk said:

Just curious, have you sailed any of HAL's other ships since the restart?  If so, how do they compare?  I'm hearing pretty good reviews out of their Pinnacle class ships but horrible reviews out of the rest of their ships.  Just based on reviews it seems they are focusing all their energy on just their newest ships.

And even those HAL ships have up charges on their MDR menu, right?

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question because we've only cruised on the two mentioned HAL vessels since cruising resumed. We did buy Orange Club because we loved the private dining room. The menu was the same as the MDR but with one additional main entree. Good and service was exceptional. I really don't remember any up charges on the menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I guess I never realized how important lobster is onboard; I am allergic to it, so never paid much attention.  Halibut is “my lobster.”  Maybe grilled peanut butter and jelly will be added to the menu, as it is also very good!😝

PB & J will be served as dessert instead of cheesecake.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I don’t mind the upcharge options. Princess has done this a while with the header on the menu stating “Make the Evening Extra Special”. Fine, whatever , get your money large corporation. For me, the issue is the cutbacks to the menu. Looking at Princess menus, there are many appetizer and entree options, plus the “Princess Favorites” offered each night. I’ll be sailing the Equinox this week (started a live blog this morning) and then Princess for a Glacier Bay cruise so it’ll be an interesting comparison. 

Look forward to your blog! Reading all of this with 8 upcoming Celebrity cruises, first being July on the Equinox, is very disheartening. For whatever it is worth I will be writing to Celebrity & also referencing this post- it says an awful lot . I am certain the post cruise surveys they have  gotten have not been positive either. In the past you had a complaint here and there. This is now a MAJORITY!! 

BON Voyage Abby Cruiser 45 !! Enjoy!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Reading all of this is VERY upsetting!! I’ve also looked at the app for our July , 30th 6 night Equinox sailing and the menus are new and pretty much awful!!! We have taken 5 post pandemic Celebrity sailings, and while we saw a downgrade in the food options and quality, this takes the cake!!! We don’t eat meat, and always relied on a good fish option. The salmon on 1 or 2 nights always a good backup. Now who knows!! Worst part - my brother and SIL are coming on this cruise with us. They don’t travel much at all and we have always RAVED  about Celebrity to them . Sounds like this may be very embarrassing - especially seeing a cheeseburger on the dinner menu and 2 nights of tilapia- the cheapest fish you can buy. We never eat it and neither do they!! 

I don’t care about the lobster being eliminated BUT downgrading the menus to this will take Celerity way down!!! Following our July cruise on the Equinox 🤞🤞🤞we may need to rethink the next 7 cruises we have booked with Celebrity!! Paying their prices and then struggling each evening on what to eat- that’s not our idea of a vacation - especially at the current prices!!! 

Coincidentally the other day we looked at the new RCCL menus and said no way can we do this !! And we used to LOVE the OASIS ships- particularly Symphony. Now it appears Celebrity has downgraded along with them! 

Thanks to all for the insight on the new food offerings !  CELEBRITY,  HOPE YOU READING ALL OF THESE COMMENTS AND TAKE NOTE HOW UPSET YOUR MOST LOYAL CRUISERS ARE!! NOT THE WAY TO KEEP US COMING BACK!! 

We sailed Wonder of the Seas and won't go back to Royal ships. Food was cold and tasteless.  If on our Beyond cruise there are issues we are done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question because we've only cruised on the two mentioned HAL vessels since cruising resumed. We did buy Orange Club because we loved the private dining room. The menu was the same as the MDR but with one additional main entree. Good and service was exceptional. I really don't remember any up charges on the menu.

We sailed the Koningsdam for 28 days in January to Hawaii/Mex Riviera and return.  There are upcharges on the menu each night, and some of the choices are less than fine dining, IMHO.  I seem to recall a veal shoulder stew one night.  Usually at least one vegetarian option, always a chicken I think.  We did upgrade our last "formal" night for the shared filet and lobster tail and it was very good.  So upcharges are happening everywhere.  As said earlier that is ok, I can decide, but don't downgrade the "included luxury" items and make them a pay per plate option. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jelayne said:

Blu offers the mystery meatloaf, it been there for a number of years.  Resembles dog food. 

Well, I thought the Blu meatloaf looked like Fancy Feast cat food. I just wish I had taken a photo of the meatloaf. Each piece was shaped into a round tin.

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

The MDR menus from HAL I have seen include an uncharge section with things like lobster and at least one type of steak (quite similar to what is being discussed in this thread) but maybe that doesn't extend to Club Orange.

6 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

We sailed Wonder of the Seas and won't go back to Royal ships. Food was cold and tasteless.  If on our Beyond cruise there are issues we are done!

So sad !! This is why we won’t go back either! 

Let’s hope by the time you sail on the Beyond, Celebrity will get the message and make some changes. Funny, the Beyond in November was the first cruise where we saw the changes and said the food is not the same!! Then we did a 10 night on the Silhouette in April & the classics were still there. Now - oh boy! 

Enjoy the Beyond!!

• Like 1

I apologize for not reading all of the posts in the 9 pages of this thread so far, as this might have already been mentioned earlier. But I just looked at the referenced Equinox menu and, yes, they have added a Premium Selection list to their regular MDR evening menu, that still includes steak, chicken, fish and vegetarian entrees every night.

But could it be Celebrity has decided to add this new MDR menu option to provide a specialty restaurant-like entree (for an extra charge of course) to those that simply don't what to pay the $130+ charge for a couple to eat in one their specialty restaurants? I know since cruising started back up, we've only dined once in a Specialty Restaurant on the 14 cruises we've been on and that was early on in the Petite Chef because they had a new show we hadn't seen before. But I still remember the $120 charge (with the Elite discount) after they added the new gratuity charge.

2 hours ago, prmssk said:

I spent 29 days on two different Princess cruise ships last year (and have spent 22 days on 2 different Celebrity ships since the restart) and did not have a great food experience on either Princess ship.  Although the MDRs on both lines wasn't significantly different, the buffet on Celebrity blew away the very sad state of Princess's buffet.

Unless people have the money to move up to more luxury lines, I'm not sure they are going to find something better elsewhere (and even those luxury lines are making cuts).

I agree with the comparison with Princess, especially the buffet.  On the Grand last summer in Alaska the buffet was very limited.  Tried the soup (vegetable) and it was a poor imitation of Campbell's.  How hard is soup ??  LOL  

We were in Retreat last X sailing on the Apex, and I was not impressed with the choices.  Good news was on the last 5 cruises I have gained no more than 4 lbs 🙂  and that I am sure was from the martinis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a certificate to use by November, but it does very little if you book a suite, especially if that suite is NRF.  So, I would need to book an SV, but those go very fast, along with the issue of the MDR’s and food quality.  Everything that is happening is quite alarming, and messing with my strategies for booking.  However, my 200 from the certificate will be refunded if I do not use it, until that is also taken away.  It seems like everything is now on the table.  Just sad that such a wonderful experience is being taken apart little by little...I guess we just wait and see without any new bookings

• Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 10:34 AM, phoenix_dream said:

You've got to be kidding me! I've been relatively supportive of the 'they lost tons of $$ in the pandemic so we need to accept some changes' crowd but this crosses the line for me.

The one bottle of wine being taken away was what crossed the line for me. Maybe now you can understand how petty they are treating customers. This menu change is just the cherry on top. We are in Blu end of July and I hope there are not changes there... but seriously, that will be my last X sailing unless I hear they make some amazing transformation to what they used to be. I'm serious when I say you should look into Oceania. I don't think you'd be disappointed. It's a much better product. There is no charge for specialty dining, and how's this for a lobster dish? That's a huge lobster tail atop Veal, Oscar style in the Polo Grill. No extra charge. The pricing for Oceania standard verandah is about on par with sailing Celeb Aqua class. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-26 at 2.25.00 PM.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1