Would you recommend Azamara right now?

Cruise Junky

Would you recommend Azamara right now?   

96 members have voted

1. 1. With all the online issues, would you recommend them right now to someone who hasn’t sailed them?

• Yes
    • No

We just got off the Quest and met many people who had never sailed with Azamara (we’ve been cruising with them since 2012). They all loved it and booked more cruises. Luckily, all our points and OBC were correct-had no problems booking shore excursions ahead of time using our OBC. We’ve already received the points for the cruise we just finished.

• Like 5

I would unquestionably recommend Azamara. There is no way in hell I would recommend their IT company, nor would I hire the Azamara employee who recommended that company to the Azamara board. But from what I've been reading on CC by people who were currently on Azamara cruises, nothing has changed regarding the quality of the cruise, the staff, the food, or the ambiance.

• Like 3

As a postscript, I spoke with a friend today who has just returned from an Alaskan cruise on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth. The onboard experience was so bad that they lodged a formal complaint on day two. 

The onboard experience did improve for them thereafter, but it took the complaint to make a difference. They will never return to Cunard.

The same friend cruised onboard Az Onward in April and have already booked again for next year because the onboard experience was so good.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Wondering if with all of the booking issues, changing ports, lack of response, you’d recommend Azamara to anyone who hasn’t tried them yet? 

Yes, simply because none of the above affects the on board experience! Of course, like every other cruiseline (bar none) it's not perfect but there's nothing of true significance to be alarmed about.

I say this, based on our Onward cruise in May when just about everyone posting on the 'New Website' thread was stressed. I couldn't understand why, neither before or after our cruise, and we booked another.....Quest in November!

It is at least 6 weeks since I've read anything on that thread, some of the posts just became so ridiculous IMHO. YMMV, of course, and that's fine with me!

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

Never… even after a very good Pursuit cruise in May/June.  That cruise was booked during the RCCL days (including excursions).  They never got my OBC correct on board, but luckily gave me several hundred dollars more than what they were supposed to.  How many other accounting errors are they making like that which is potentially costing the company lots of needed $$$$.

My online account still shows my late May cruise listed as upcoming (it's now almost August!) but with red error messages all over the screen.  Loyalty points are still wrong.  Past cruise history still not available. No executive level suite communications about the status of issues and resolution plan for many, many weeks now.  And all the "sale" emails, travelers reporting far less than full occupancy on ships…. hmmmmm.  It's not just not worth the hassle or risk anymore with Azamara. There are much better alternatives out there, at least right now. 

I have to say no because my TA and us are having a hell of a time with customer service reneging on an upgrade price after our cabin has been moved.  Our TA has had enough, spent way too much time on the phone trying to get through and then nothing but hassle which quite frankly she can do without as can we.  

Absolutely not.  I don't think the line is going to make it much longer with current sales and all their IT problems.  It's such a shame as the onboard experience is excellent.  I will not be booking a future cruise onboard my cruise next month and I always book a future cruise onboard. This line is too big a risk right now.

Edited by Xcelsior
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

Never… even after a very good Pursuit cruise in May/June.  That cruise was booked during the RCCL days (including excursions).  They never got my OBC correct on board, but luckily gave me several hundred dollars more than what they were supposed to.  How many other accounting errors are they making like that which is potentially costing the company lots of needed $$$$.

My online account still shows my late May cruise listed as upcoming (it's now almost August!) but with red error messages all over the screen.  Loyalty points are still wrong.  Past cruise history still not available. No executive level suite communications about the status of issues and resolution plan for many, many weeks now.  And all the "sale" emails, travelers reporting far less than full occupancy on ships…. hmmmmm.  It's not just not worth the hassle or risk anymore with Azamara. There are much better alternatives out there, at least right now. 

Never got it corrected but got several hundred dollars more that you were supposed to ??????????

8 hours ago, hamrag said:

It is at least 6 weeks since I've read anything on that thread, some of the posts just became so ridiculous IMHO. YMMV, of course, and that's fine with me!

Hmmm…. Pretty sure this is directed to me. Some people need to understand that some people have had issues, yes real ones, to this mess. No, I was not being ridiculous…..😠

I’m not voting because my answer very much depends on what I think my friends tolerance is for being able to ride out precruise IT and website issues. I’d also be influenced by their past precruise experience with other lines. Previously I would have answered yes to a poll like this now it certainly wouldn’t be an automatic yes and could even be a no on balance 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

One of the most disappointing posts I’ve read in a long time.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, kent4489 said:

Hmmm…. Pretty sure this is directed to me. Some people need to understand that some people have had issues, yes real ones, to this mess. No, I was not being ridiculous…..😠

Be assured it wasn't directed at any particular individual, until you posted there I've no knowledge of your posts!

As I stated clearly YMMV, and that is obviously true in your case. But none of that affects the onboard experience, my main point. 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, srvpoo said:

Never got it corrected but got several hundred dollars more that you were supposed to ??????????

Yes, they got it wrong (i.e., not correct).  They are giving away cash that they shouldn’t be.  Great management and a well run company that instills confidence!

And I received OBC only after about 6 hours total of my time over 4 days standing in lines at Reception, talking/emailing with my travel agent, AZ talking/emailing with Miami, and who knows what else. Those of us with OBC issues really had to be persistent in order to have it posted to our account.  I was ok dealing with it, but there were so many disgruntled guests on board. It was embarrassing at times, 

• Thanks 1

If our friends can guarantee not to have any changes, queries or cancellations or have any other reason to try engage with Az Customer Service then all good.  Sadly, their administration, website, accounting, accessibility and general responsiveness is an abomination. Steer well clear.

Interesting to compare my Azamara experience (pre booking) with the two I've got planned with Virgin and NCL.

We had to cancel with Virgin one of our party. Called them answered immediately processed the change and refunded instantly. I understand onboard it relies on the app and it's performance isn't great, but we'll see.

NCL absolutely perfect so far. App works well pre cruise and when I wanted something different used the online chat. Answered with no wait, answered query and sent confirmation instantly.

Azamara has to get to these levels to be recommended to friends. 

Although we have been on Pursuit once and booked a cruise on Quest, I would not recommend Azamara.  We had booked our Pursuit cruise with a travel agent and all was well until the website and back office support was pulled away from Royal Caribbean.  After several months the website is barely functional and the support staff appears to be poorly trained.  However, once on board the service is very good, with friendly staff and fairly good food, so all in all we thoroughly enjoyed Pursuit.  We booked the Quest cruise onboard thr Pusuit near the end of a 16 day cruise.  My big concern is using our $900 of our onboard credit on Quest as we have not been able to book excursions with OBC.  My confidence in Azama’s back room management has continued to decline so this may be our 2nd and last cruise with A.

We are new to Azamara, so we (I) can't vote yes or no to the question.  However, we are seasoned travelers and cruisers and have had occasion to communicate with the respective lines both cruised pre and post cruise.

The booking of our first Azamara was incidental to a land journey we booked to Morocco and Lisbon.  In other words, it was a package deal.

With exception of a ocean view stateroom, we have booked all classes of staterooms. For several reasons, my wife and I prefer booking a suite with separate living room.  The only suite available when I booked this trip was a Continent Suite (sans separate Living room).  Earlier this week I learned at least one Ocean Suite was available.  I contacted my TA and asked her to book that suite. 

I gave Azamara 48 hours plus to show the change of our booking.  Yesterday morning, I went on line and saw our original booking had been canceled.  However, there was no indication of a new booking number.  I called my TA and left a VM and then immediately called Azamara and was put on hold for 1-hour and 9-minutes.  

Anyway, Representative Dawn answered my call and within 5-minutes the issue was resolved and I had a new booking number.

When on hold, I wondered how long a person calling Azamara to make a new booking would have to wait on line,?!

Bottom line, this first interaction with Azamara was successful, however, the hour plus time on hold was unacceptable.  Azamara could easily implement a callback in order feature freeing up the caller to do other things.

Will this incident stop me from booking another Azamara cruise?  No.

We have yet to experience the embarkation and disembarkation procedures and all cruise related happenings.  

You will have to wait until late November or early December for our answer and explanations.

Edited by Traveling Fools

3 hours ago, shank63 said:

Although we have been on Pursuit once and booked a cruise on Quest, I would not recommend Azamara.  We had booked our Pursuit cruise with a travel agent and all was well until the website and back office support was pulled away from Royal Caribbean.  After several months the website is barely functional and the support staff appears to be poorly trained.  However, once on board the service is very good, with friendly staff and fairly good food, so all in all we thoroughly enjoyed Pursuit.  We booked the Quest cruise onboard thr Pusuit near the end of a 16 day cruise.  My big concern is using our $900 of our onboard credit on Quest as we have not been able to book excursions with OBC.  My confidence in Azama’s back room management has continued to decline so this may be our 2nd and last cruise with A.

You can book excursions if you ring them.

Edited by Grandma Cruising

Absolutely not.  Our recent cruise on Journey was not the onboard experience I keep hearing about here.  I haven’t had a chance yet to write review but the short story is that we won’t be on Azamara again unless things improve dramatically both in terms of the pre-cruise booking experience and the quality of the onboard experience (the staterooms, the food, the excursions, the entertainment, and the crowding onboard all need to be improved).

Up until the last month, we have recommended Azamara to everyone. We have cruised exclusively on Azamara for almost 10 years, taking 2-3 cruises a year. Now Azamara cannot find one of our bookings that was part of a b2b nor our deposit of $1,100. Furthermore, we have been told through our TA that Azamara has said we do not get any extra OBC for the b2b because the two cruises were not booked at the same time. What we cannot figure out is why some people have no problems, some have problems that are quickly resolved, and some have problems that have gone on for months.

• Like 1