Cruising with a 3 and 5 year old

keesar

Neighbors want to take their first cruise with 3 and 5 year olds next April.  I have been asked for assistance.  What cruise line do you recommend and how long should the first cruise be considering children that age?  Two rooms or one?  They looked at Disney but thought it was pricey.  Thank you for your thoughts!

One cabin  of course, unless you are suggesting the parents would want to spend the whole cruise sleeping in separate rooms. I think the kids are much too young to even be in a connecting cabin without a parent. Look for ships that have family staterooms, which tend to have more square footage, or a higher level suite if they can afford it. 

A first cruise with kids- avoid the party boats and 3/4 day booze cruises, but no more than 7/8 nights. Stick with the mainstream lines until they know whether or not they will even like cruising.

Edited by mom says

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Neighbors want to take their first cruise with 3 and 5 year olds next April.  I have been asked for assistance.  What cruise line do you recommend and how long should the first cruise be considering children that age?  Two rooms or one?  They looked at Disney but thought it was pricey.  Thank you for your thoughts!

IMHO not Celebrity as it is not geared to young kids.  Try Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, maybe Carnival.  Disney would be the best - the cost might be offset by the fact there is a lot for kids to do.  Look for lines whose ships have game areas, slides etc.  Do an internet search for "best cruise lines for kids".  Only 2 rooms if one adult and one kid in each - but would agree with "mom" above and suggest only one room

Royal C is best esp for  young kiddos..Oasis had a nice kiddie play area and a carousel  and fun stuff for kids

.Get one large cabin or small suite..NO balcony for safety reasons.

We took our son on celebrity and royal when he was that age and he was fine. They both have a kids club for the younger kids. When the kids are old enough for water slides and flow riders, they would probably prefer royal. 

NOT CELEBRITY! There isn't nothing really for little kids to do outside the kids club. Tale them on a cruise ship geared toward kids! Like Disney. If not then Royal Caribbean with the water kids zone on the lido. Those little ones have so much fun on those ships. Those little ones will be so bored on  Celebrity!

Tell them to leave the kids with the grand parents, relatives  or do something else with the kids.  I wouldn’t want to be isolated on a ship with children if some emergency happened.  

What assistance are they asking from you?   To cruise with them and watch the kids or to take care of them while they take a cruise?

it is a no win situation for you.  There is no benefit for you.  

This is my opinion and others will have their own.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My youngest was 3 for his first cruise which was a 5 day on carnival. Caught the cruising bug! My kids preferred cruising over Disney. Unless your kids like Disney, a Disney cruise is not really worth it IMO. We cruised RCI as they got older (preteens/teens). DH and I went on NCL right before Covid shut down. We would recommend for preteens/teens  as well. 

Happy cruising to them! 

4 hours ago, mom says said:

A first cruise with kids- avoid the party boats and 3/4 day booze cruises, but no more than 7/8 nights. Stick with the mainstream lines until they know whether or not they will even like cruising.

I would go the opposite direction and suggest a shorter sailing for first timers with small children. It would be horrible to suffer through a whole week if someone finds cruising isn’t for them especially if one of the kids doesn’t enjoy the seas.

48 minutes ago, miched said:

What assistance are they asking from you?   To cruise with them and watch the kids or to take care of them while they take a cruise?

it is a no win situation for you.  There is no benefit for you.  

This is my opinion and others will have their own.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I have been asked to be the sitter for the dogs.  For our first Celebrity cruise, we did a 4 or 5 day one on the Century just to make sure we both liked it.  

I guess a cruise is better than dragging 2 young children through Wally World.😚

Thank you for all the tips so far.

I haven’t seen a single mention of Carnival…makes me think this thread might have started on the Royal board.  Carnival has a kids club, family OV cabins with a split bath.  Keep an eye on bed situation, too.  Those cabins will have a sofa couch and an upper above.  Some cabins for 4 only have uppers.  A 3yo might be too big for a pack play.  MSC also has family cabins, some with bunk sofas…a sofa that becomes upper and lower bunks, or a foldout couch that is queen size and could be shared by the kids.  EM

This thread originated on the Celebrity board.

14 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I haven’t seen a single mention of Carnival…makes me think this thread might have started on the Royal board.  Carnival has a kids club, family OV cabins with a split bath.  Keep an eye on bed situation, too.  Those cabins will have a sofa couch and an upper above.  Some cabins for 4 only have uppers.  A 3yo might be too big for a pack play.  MSC also has family cabins, some with bunk sofas…a sofa that becomes upper and lower bunks, or a foldout couch that is queen size and could be shared by the kids.  EM

Our first family cruise was on DCL, the youngest 2 were 4. It was 3 nights, too short, our next cruises were NCL, liked it as much if not more (7 nights). We always got balconies, 2 connecting cabins (family of 7, cabins had a pull down and sofa bed). I wouldn’t sail without a balcony with small kids.

They should choose a mainstream line with an itinerary and price they like.  Any mainstream line will have plenty for kids to do including a kids club, a swimming pool.  If the 3 year old isn't potty trained, let us know as then pools and kids clubs are more limited.  As others have said, at least 7 days is best to avoid party crowds. Cruising is a great way to go with kids, absolutely does not need to be Disney.

Edited by Kerry's Girls

A lot of the newer NCL ships have stuff geared towards kids, some more than others. The old ones don’t have much so take a look at the ship first. As for the room, we only have a baby (will be 10 months at time of cruising) and booked a 2 bedroom family suite for this fall. I figured once she goes down we can relax in our room and on the balcony/living room area without waking her up. RCL, Disney or carnival should be okay as well although I’ve never been on RCL or Disney.