The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 14th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Creamsicle Day, Financial Awareness Day, and National Wiffle Ball Day

Make space in your life for the things that matter, for family and friends, love and generosity, fun and joy. Without this, you will burn out in mid-career and wonder where your life went. Jonathan Sacks

Meal Suggestion for today - Mediterranean Turkey Burgers
Drink of the Day - Sharks Tooth
Wine of the Day - Luna Beberide - Godello Bierzo 2020
Destination of the Day - Noumea, New Caledonia

Today in History:
1945 V-J Day, Japan surrenders unconditionally to end WW II (also August 15 depending on time zone)

1891 The first petition,  containing 9000 signatures,supporting the introduction of Parliamentary voting rights for women in New Zealand is presented to Parliament.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2200

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 15 Aug

Nieuw Statendam

Douglas, Isle Of Man 0800-1800

Noordam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1500-1800

Oosterdam

Mykonos, Greece 1200-1800

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway 0700-1500

Volendam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Westerdam

At Sea destination Juneau, Alaska eta 15 Aug

Zaandam

At Sea destination Nanortalik, Greenland eta 15 Aug

There is a difference in Zaandam's position between the various online services. I am including another map for Zaandam.

I'm sure that @StLouisCruisers Sandi will let us know which is correct.

Zuiderdam

Djupivogur, Iceland 0800-1600

0814World.thumb.png.0ac0c92a5d5589a170e64edfcef507aa.png

Zaandam's position from Vessel Finder

0814vf.png.c6e13b1d5ba63453176a078ce3b3b277.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 20

Today’s Care list:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou in the hospital

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-op, hopefully off ECMO soon

5 Dead in house explosion + fire in neighboring houses Plum, PA

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina town gone

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Rafinmd working on getting stronger

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

StLouisCruiser’s DGS Ren invited to soccer tournament in Mexico City

Ger_77’s DH with good angiogram report

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

Mamaofami’s DH Sam released from the hospital to rehab

RMLincoln in NY for a family gathering

Highland Cruiser in Yellowstone Park with DGS

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 17 to Aug 26)

Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 28
  • Thanks 17

Sharks Tooth cocktail:

Ingredients
2 1/2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1/2 part fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 part fresh Lime Juice
1/2 part Soda Water
1/2 part Grenadine
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Pour rum, lemon juice and lime juice in a tall glass and gently stir. Top with soda water, then gently pour in grenadine. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 6.53.07 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15

Good morning friends!  The Greenland Sea is smooth as can be right now and we are hurrying along at 20-21 knots to reach Nanortalik by tomorrow morning at 9:00 am.  A sea day feels good after 6 port days in a row, and especially after gaining an hour back on our clocks last night.  It’s 52F and clouds mixed with a little sun.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report this morning.  Vessel Finder is wrong and we are a little over halfway to Greenland after leaving Iceland around 4 pm yesterday local time.

It’s a fine day to honor the creamsicle.  I haven’t had one of those since I was a kid.  Financial Awareness Day should be every day.  National Wiffle Ball Day reminds me of my childhood too.  Fun to think back on those days.  I’m sure the Mediterranean Turkey Burger will be delicious, no idea what a Sharks Tooth cocktail would taste like, and have no clue on the wine.  So thank you Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for any help with descriptions, recipes or photos of them. 

I think the quote is a good one, and count VJ Day as an extremely crucial point in our history. 

Abundant prayers for our Care list people, DB,  my friend’s DB Mark, the people of Maui, those harmed by the Pennsylvania explosion and the people of Ukraine.  Congrats to the nice list of folks on the Celebration list.  Enjoy your events, cruises and adventures!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up with us all.

Today’s destination is Noumea, New Caledonia, a place I’ve never been.  It was previously our port on August 16, 2021 and August 18, 2022 which means we have had it on our Daily once a year.  Here are the links for you to use if you have photos to copy and paste.

Have a great Monday everybody. 

• Like 39
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another Monday, I hope it's the start of a good week.

I haven't had a creamsicle in years.  Financial awareness is extremely important.  I don't think I've ever played wiffle ball.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  The drink and wine sound good.

Important days in history.

Prayers for many.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 30

Good afternoon.

It is 57°F and the rain is pouring down.

Thank you for today's fleet reports,daily,food and wine reports and the care and celebration lists.

I like ice lollies ( creamsicles)

Never played wiffle ball and from my early banking days learned the benefits of financial awareness.

Today's quote is good.

I hope everyone on the care list is improving and all who are cruising have an amazing time.

Good wishes for a nice day for all Dailyites.

• Like 31

Good Monday morning!  

Love the quote, and had plenty of creamsicles and played lots of wiffle ball as a kid, with my kids, and with my grandkids.  

prayers to our care list and those in needs.  Smiles and cheers for those celebrating and traveling.

Have a wonderful day Daily friends.

• Like 31

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

and thanks to Vanessa, Tina, Dixie & Ann.

Interesting collection of days.  I’ll celebrate financial awareness day - so important.  Two very important dates in history and I’ll happily celebrate New Zealand’s significant anniversary.

Today’s quote is ever so true.  Today’s drink sounds good @summer slope .  The meal sounds intriguing.  I’ll wait for @0106 ‘s description.  We have been to New Caledonia but not today’s port.

Looks like more rain for this morning at least.  Last night was pretty wild.  My attempt at an early sleep was cancelled when the whole house lit up with the lightening strikes.  I stayed awake trying to see in the dark if anything had been hit.  Thankfully after an hour the worst was over.  No damage that I can see here, thankfully but I hear workmen behind our house so I suspect someone lost something.

IMG_3666.jpeg.223591d89bc454654d8ac85e381bb78d.jpeg

My schedule depends on the weather.  If it doesn’t rain this afternoon the temps will soar.  Hopefully it won’t be humid.  Lots to do one way or the other so I’m sure to have a busy day.

IMG_3660.jpeg.10442583109586b23f4ac84501981632.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, special prayers for Lou, Baby Murphy, for those who are suffering loss, health issues and worry & for those that need them.  Cheers to all those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_3649.jpeg.fc9ed57c1d33df6d3f501cb554c7fdb3.jpeg

Have a great Monday everyone !

IMG_3668.thumb.jpeg.685548967b2f785ac943c4e23b84e16a.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

22 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Sharks Tooth cocktail:

Ingredients
2 1/2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1/2 part fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 part fresh Lime Juice
1/2 part Soda Water
1/2 part Grenadine
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Pour rum, lemon juice and lime juice in a tall glass and gently stir. Top with soda water, then gently pour in grenadine. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 6.53.07 AM.png

This is a drink you can sink your teeth into! 😀

• Like 9
  • Haha 13

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Sandi (clarification), Tina, Dixie, and Ann for the Monday reports.  I will salute financial awareness but pass on both creamsicles and wiffle ball.  I've been to Noumea just once. Crystal Serenity in 2018.  August 14 has been a great day for both allied servicemen and women in New Zealand.  I like the Sacks quote.  Turkey burgers sound nice although I' not sure about the Mediterranean.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Prime Rib of Beef  au jus, and Baked Alaska which could well have been my final meal on SS Rotterdam 5, 1997

Off soon to the mall to walk.  It will be a busy day with both church finance meeting and fire department board this afternoon and evening.

Roy

• Like 35

Good morning.  I haven't had a creamsicle in decades, I prefer chocolate with my ice cream.  We start our day with financial awareness with a healthy dose of CNBC.  Wiffle ball was never a favorite.  A very true quote.  I thought our drink would be strange but it includes dark rum and some good flavors so it is a winner.  Pass on the turkey burger and the wine is a question mark for me.  Look forward to photos of today's port. 

Prayers for the people of Maui, those on our Care list and the people of Ukraine. 

Have a lovely Monday. Nancy 

• Like 35

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Busy week for me as I prepare for my oral defense of my dissertation proposal next Monday. Working on my PowerPoint slides this week. Today I am working from home. I have four classes of grading to do. My intention is to take Fancy to the park later today. It has been so hot here that I worry about her. She loves to run at full speed in the yard. Lots of energy. 

I love turkey burgers so I will try the meal of the day. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for monday cat memes

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning, everyone!

Enjoying the sea day today!  We saw something strange while we were walking the deck this morning.  There is a yellow plume in the sky and we can’t figure out what it’s from.  We’re too far from Iceland for it to be from land.

IMG_2879.thumb.jpeg.07978628d5a9eaa32f0b9e678669e21f.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

Just now, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Enjoying the sea day today!  We saw something strange while we were walking the deck this morning.  There is a yellow plume in the sky and we can’t figure out what it’s from.  We’re too far from Iceland for it to be from land.

IMG_2879.thumb.jpeg.07978628d5a9eaa32f0b9e678669e21f.jpeg

That is certainly odd!  Could it be a sunlight reflection on the clouds?  I didn’t see it myself so can’t really say. Dennis is moving yesterday’s photos to his laptop. I might be able to post a photo from Grundarfjordur (population 842).

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Since I began cooking for my DH, there have only been two times he didn’t eat what I prepared; turkey meatloaf was the first time.  After we threw the mushy, white, totally unappetizing loaf away, my DH said to never buy ground turkey again.  However, a few years ago, we were at a BBQ and he ate what the host called a Mediterranean burger which he loved because it tasted similar to a gyro.  When I asked for the recipe, I was surprised he was eating a turkey burger.  So today, I will offer you some recipes for Mediterranean Turkey Burgers.

Mediterranean Turkey Burgers   are made by first sauteing onions and then adding ground turkey, breadcrumbs, dill, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. The mixture is then refrigerated; the refrigeration and bread crumbs help the mixture bind together and yield firm patties.

qQK814PaupG40Rsspif5hCkm6c8iMpK6yPneNMCO

Mediterranean Turkey Burgers with Olives are made with lean ground turkey, savory Kalamata olives, aromatic green onions, fresh herbs, horseradish Dijon, and a tasty blend of feta and gruyere cheese, these burgers are packed full of flavor. They are served on a brioche roll with  horseradish dill slaw.

HMT3bq3gtd1SPnIAhU15fYAOytepoaOxULbrjxWC

Greek Turkey Burgers These juicy burgers contain ground turkey, sun dried tomatoes, red onion, spinach, feta and spices.They are topped with a homemade lemon dill yogurt sauce, crunchy slices of cucumber and red onion. 

yi7TeO6I-eR7aAO7CxlYecbdmwWJvkoTzzkA8A5v

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

Good morning. Up early showered and packed. Will be driven to airport a little early as both son and daughter-in-law have a busy day ahead with several meetings. It’s been a great visit. Yesterday, we attended the Pony League World Series. Saw a Japan team beat a Texas team and Mexico was winning over Manchester, New Hampshire when we left. It was hot in the direct sun sitting on bleachers.

Son cooked some fantastic hamburgers on his pellet grill. I’m impressed with how precise the pellet stove can maintain temperature.

If all goes well and on time we should arrive home around six Central Time tonight.

We have been to beautiful Noumea but I believe pictures are on another computer.

Hate to leave this beautiful weather and state. 
Have a great week. Bruce

image.jpeg.141b69975b28256c6bdf34d3ce527787.jpegimage.jpeg.78bef904f2256e582423e827e2e47d24.jpegimage.jpeg.a7f91bfb06d2e4ee03a69c964d4d03f5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4b0453d24f49c28738e1c664b3a0ebff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.31ab93e3f988206c529df1c97b8f444d.jpegimage.jpeg.156413bb1a88a9f935a53dec7f91c067.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 28

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely start to our day. Two days with no rain & sweltering temps.

IMG_1628.jpeg.229bf37548e1068070ab2bfb5f19119d.jpeg

It has been a different weather pattern this year. Hope this is not our new norm - though I loved our long Spring. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us! Gym, Bindi walks, chores & pool time. Ooh & today I call a few companies that grind tree stumps to compare prices. What a life!

IMG_1622.jpeg.386f8dded09c35e0fc7396dfd212ca86.jpeg

IMG_1614.jpeg.18de3e5f544ef9d2aa4ce7d794309b53.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Luna Beberide - Godello Bierzo 2020

This white from Northern Spain has a name that is fun to say, though I would be tempted to shorten it. I would love a taste, though I tend to steer away from too much acidity. Available from a decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $11.40.

Wine Enthusiast- 92

This medium-straw-colored wine has aromas of green pear, lemon and herbes de Provence. It is bright on entry and remains that way through the finish, with flavors of lemon-lime, white peach, cocoa butter and a sprinkling of sage and lemongrass."

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5

Good morning from central Texas where it is 80F and feels like 84F.  The humidity is better today at 69% with a dew point of 69F.  Today will also be cooler with a predicted high of 103F.  It's all relative, but anything above 100F is hot.  🤣  I'll be inside most of the day since I'll be cleaning house.  😞

Financial awareness is very important.  I was never a fan of creamsicles, but loved fudgesicles.  Never played wiffle ball either.

The quote is very true.  While DH worked hard, he also made time for family and fun.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have not been to Noumea.

The end of WWII in the Pacific was an important day.  New Zealand was ahead of the world when it came to women's rights.

@dfish Debbie, that's an interesting picture, but I have no idea of what that was.

@aliaschief  Safe travels and on time flights today, Bruce.

364680637_260750153372554_2072530637444364888_n.jpg.16d4487b481ac7bec477f2adc502b861.jpg

366385796_616530550616083_3483119147052763213_n.thumb.jpg.6e97d07dfece19febc1cd07d457c515a.jpg

366563961_193424523732277_6705021828922363490_n.jpg.3e842e626d19e6e0aebc2773c103029d.jpg

366691526_677883851041399_881501463040773985_n.thumb.jpg.aea172e5c45be501d30f56f98e1e083d.jpg

364807795_615517364037280_8815404962685467915_n.thumb.jpg.cfaaafc2217aad3ad8543c6ac440b29e.jpg

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Haha 23

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  Currently letting DH sleep, as he has a CT and PET scan this morning, and cant eat or drink beforehand.  Leaving in about an hour.

@dfishThat is odd, and as in your picture the yellow is rising to the left like some colored smoke, perhaps a new volcano is being born, or a boat was on fire.  It does look like smoke.

I need to send in my intended hours for this week, take a shower, and get going!

8285f877e44ff61d52e33ee0b48aca37.jpg

• Like 32
  • Haha 3

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I like creamsicles but haven’t had one in a long time.  Financial awareness is very important for each of us.  Haven’t played with a wiffle ball since I had my last creamsicle.  The quote is very good advice.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion but the drink sounds nice. I have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26