Does Royal need to change their CEO?

13 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Michael Bayley made a statement yesterday. There will be no charge for Pizza at Sorrento's. it was just a question on a survey. 

LOL. A question on a survey is never "just" a question on a survey.  There was something behind it.  I guarantee they have a marketing firm that they're using to feel out how far they can go.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, GlasgowCruiser01 said:

As someone who has cruised with Royal since I was a child and had fully intended to give them my business for decades to come (being of the 'younger' generation they would do well to target), I'm beginning to get quite unnerved by the direction that the company is taking, and it's only been happening in the last few years, ever since Jason Liberty replaced Richard Fain as CEO. The Sorrento's nonsense from this week is particularly concerning, as the late night snack options need to get better, not worse. And there are just endless complaints about food and endless cutbacks.

Some of that can be attributed to COVID but ships have been back for 2 years now and that excuse is gradually wearing off for me. It appears that Mr. Liberty wants more cutbacks and maximum revenue at the expense of a cruiser's experience, so I can't help but wonder if Royal needs to change their CEO ASAP to avoid further alienating their regular customers. Otherwise I'm concerned as to what Royal will look like this time in a decade.

The cruise line is a business. And all business decisions are made based on the financial needs of the company. They look at what the industry is doing (all of their competitors). They look at their bottom line. The cutbacks have only started,,, if the cruise line is to survive. It's not the good 'ole days where you can do more of the same. 

I am less familiar with internal RCCL mandates. On competitor NCL, every department was given a cutback quota and told how much to reduce cost to keep the cruise line viable. Food, Beverage, Entertainment, Housekeeping, services. Pre-pandemic, it was o.k. to break even and make a small profit. Post-pandemic, the cruise lines need to repay the enormous debt incurred during the unfair shutdown of the industry (no other industry was shut down as long as the cruise industry). 

If you have gone out to diner at home, what do you see? Higher Prices, Additional Service Charges, Fewer servers = reduced levels of service. Everyone thinks that they can make a living sitting at home on their sofa with a laptop. 

Over the years, most hotels have done away with night time housekeeping turn downs. In fact, many hotels are still not doing even daily housekeeping. It was time for the cruise industry to do way with night time housekeeping. Gone. 

Cooking and staffing late night buffets where the vast majority of the food goes overboard as fish food was an attraction once. The more health conscious contemporary cruiser don't value it and it becomes a cost that only a few old timers appreciate. Gone. 

And free pizza at 2 am will follow suit shortly and be Gone. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Booking are at an all time high. Deposit money is at an all time high. Yet some think RC should fire the CEO because of a survey question about pizza.

If you think these thoughts are only about pizza .... Haul your head out of the sand !!

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

I just made a fake booking on the Celebrity site checking today's price for a 7 day Bermuda cruise in a veranda stateroom and came up with around $3,500.00 .

Then looked back at our Bermuda cruise 23 years ago to compare and it was $2,700.00 .

Our first 7-night cruise to Bermuda was in 1981 on HAL out of NYC and there were no such things as veranda staterooms. We booked an "upgraded" ocean view cabin (had a window instead of a porthole, and the window actually opened). Cost the two of us ~$5,000 (but that included airfare and transfers). We have an 8 night on Mariner in a Grand Suite booked for October and the cost when we booked was ~$6,000.

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

I just made a fake booking on the Celebrity site checking today's price for a 7 day Bermuda cruise in a veranda stateroom and came up with around $3,500.00 .

Then looked back at our Bermuda cruise 23 years ago to compare and it was $2,700.00 .

We didn't start doing the Royal Caribbean thing till a few years later but it interesting to see HOW OR IF cruising went up on price, on X which probably would hold true for Royal.

The total experience has definitely gone down but the above is interesting to look at if you calculate how prices in general have gone up in those 2 decades.

Inflation calculates out to about $4,500.00 in today's dollars for what is the current actual price of $3,500.00 .

A new Honda Civic was about $15,000.00 in 2000 and is now in the $26,000.00 range.

We still find cruising the best bang for your buck especially if you book wisely, even with the oft times seriously dumb upper echelon decisions that have reduced the quality in favor of keeping the prices down.

How many would consider paying the inflated price to bring back the higher quality cruise experience that was de rigueur 20 years ago ??????

Are the two cars mentioned the exactly the same, with the same options, I guess not. I’m guessing the gas mileage is much better also.

On the other side of the coin, in the early 80s I bought my first VCR for $1,000. It was about 6” tall and you had to plug the remote in, using a cable. About three years ago I bought a CD recorder. To compare the two was like comparing an entry level new car to a new Corvette. They had the audacity to charge me $134.

What about inflation with this scenario? 
We’ve had several other VCRs between the two recorders mention above.

I think Jason has done what the board of directors at Royal wanted but making changes to create more profit and recover the loses from the Covid period.   That said at some point enough is enough and they to work to improve the cruise experience and keep travelers coming back. The pizza trial ballon to me was to see what passengers thought and clearly they spoke loud and clear. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't have solid information /opinions on the CEO, but I do think this board has been more whiny and more critical than usual lately -- and many people are unhappy with very real cuts to service and quality, while prices are increasing.  Trouble rolls uphill (paraphrased, but true).  

It’s hard to believe after all my years here on CC, but it is true. 

3 hours ago, BND said:

LOL. A question on a survey is never "just" a question on a survey.  There was something behind it.  I guarantee they have a marketing firm that they're using to feel out how far they can go.  

This is 💯 true. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

How many would consider paying the inflated price to bring back the higher quality cruise experience that was de rigueur 20 years ago ??????

Are the two cars mentioned the exactly the same, with the same options, I guess not. I’m guessing the gas mileage is much better also.

On the other side of the coin, in the early 80s I bought my first VCR for $1,000. It was about 6” tall and you had to plug the remote in, using a cable. About three years ago I bought a CD recorder. To compare the two was like comparing an entry level new car to a new Corvette. They had the audacity to charge me $134.

What about inflation with this scenario? 
We’ve had several other VCRs between the two recorders mention above.

What point are you trying to make??

I bought a brand new 1964 Mustang with a special 271 HP engine for $2,812.00 what does that have to do with the price of a 2023 which is an easy $40,000.00 ???

My point is that if you are willing to pay the updated price for a cruise you might be able to get the same experience.

If I am willing to pay 40 grand I WOULD be getting the wheelie doing power I had beck then PLUS SOME.

The new inflated price would get you an aqua class with prepaid grats and a beverage package. Would that be a fair comparison ?

Or take a cruise and pay a price less than the inflation equivalent and spend the difference in extras and upgrades.

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The cruise line is a business. And all business decisions are made based on the financial needs of the company.

Agree, but -- if a company is to succeed -- it must avoid pissing off its clients in the process.  Royal doesn't seem to be walking this fine line particularly well at this moment.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Agree, but -- if a company is to succeed -- it must avoid pissing off its clients in the process.  Royal doesn't seem to be walking this fine line particularly well at this moment.  

The bean counters might disagree if ships are filling at higher rates, why would they charge less. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The bean counters might disagree if ships are filling at higher rates, why would they charge less. 

So true. When businesses grow and have to answer to board members who answer to stockholders who are not interested in how their dividends are created the bean counters must respond in like fashion.

Gone due to GROWTH are the small family-owned businesses where pride was more important than profit.

Remember back when the X on Celebrity ships stood for something.

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We're in a high-travel bubble right now:  People haven't traveled during the pandemic, and they're "getting back out there".  Ships are full, and it's a seller's market at the moment.  

BUT if Royal (and other cruise lines) don't please their customer; that is, if people "come back" and find the product badly degraded, the company won't get repeat business.  That's the fine line the company must walk:  Cut enough to be profitable and to pay off debt, while keeping the customer happy enough to return and to give positive feedback to friends.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Agreed , Look at those lofty prices they are getting for the Icon . They hit this one right out of the park.

Amazing what people will pay to sail on that one. 

I will wait a while to sail on it.

• Like 3

On 8/19/2023 at 2:39 AM, firefly333 said:

I thought the huge to do over a pizza survey question was blown up way too much. Nothing to replace it at night. Give us another food maybe. 

If you are still particularly concerned about pizza gate .. try another line for a while. No one is forcing you to cruise on this line. 

Rcl had great earnings, ccl and nclh both had terrible earnings. I kinda hope they get on a level where the debt isnt such a big deal. Sold my shares so looking to buy them back. Watching rcl trade day in day out. Its fighting being pulled down with other sell offs. My last cruise was the 10 day radiance and personally I liked the new menus and hot food served. 

I have often said i think rcl pax are the most complaining group I ever saw. .. if it doesnt suit you, change lines. I do think they are overdoing the nickle and diming. I'm hoping they come out the other end and can start adding some back. .. or maybe they decided this way of charging ala carte with everything extra is a winner. 

I don’t think the question was blown up way to much. Do you think if they take away a free late night food option that they’ll give us another one? I highly doubt it. Why take away one in the first place? I believe they were seriously considering to have passengers to pay for the cardboard and not give a free option in return. One of the many ways of looking to cut costs. They are beginning to cut to much to soon along with raising the prices.

It’s also not just the pizza. It’s more than that. Look at all of the cuts since the restart and look at how high the prices have increased.

On 8/19/2023 at 3:09 AM, taglovestocruise said:

Michael Bayley made a statement yesterday. There will be no charge for Pizza at Sorrento's. it was just a question on a survey. 

It’s never just a question on a survey. Do you really think they would ask such a question just for the heck of it? Very funny if you do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

What did it mean?  I never knew there was a meaning. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Cruises

Celebrity Cruises was founded in 1988 by the Greece-based Chandris Group, and merged with Royal Caribbean Cruise Line in 1997. Celebrity's signature logo is an "Χ" displayed on the funnel of Celebrity ships, and is the Greek letter chi, for "Chandris"

Celebrity Cruises adopted the Chandris "X," which was slightly stylized for their logo. The new line advertised itself as a “Luxury Cruising by Design", with the strategy of offering an upscale product with mass-market pricing. The ships would have refined interiors, destinations and dining, which included a partnership with famed chef Michel Roux, a unique thing for a cruise line at the time. Quoted by then chairman John Chandris, "“We will feature comfort and quality, not glitz and glitter."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2023 at 9:43 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't have solid information /opinions on the CEO, but I do think this board has been more whiny and more critical than usual lately -- and many people are unhappy with very real cuts to service and quality, while prices are increasing.  Trouble rolls uphill (paraphrased, but true).  

Just got off the Oasis. Another enhancement to the food offering from just over a month ago. Late night promenade cafe now only offers various cheese sandwiches or if they are especially generous with a meat option it was a ham and cheese sandwich. Not that I liked their late night sandwiches before, but this seems like a different brand than I signed up for and at three times the cost. Whether they change their CEO - only time will tell. I think if the brand sinks enough with bookings though, they will have an uphill battle to get back those previously loyal to royal who try other lines and like it. Plus - good reputation takes a very short time to destroy and very long time to build.  While the current economic climate can explain some of the cutbacks and downgraded experience, they don't have the same liability/cost associated with staff - all offshore low salary staff and they are hiring less and less to man the ships, yet charging exponentially more and offering half of what they used to. Ultimately I think it's just pure greed that will bite them in the backside soon enough. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 8:26 AM, orville99 said:

Why? He is doing exactly what the Board of Directors of the corporation tasked him to do - return the company to profitability.

Profitability means not chasing away your customers. Their current strategy is very short sighted.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, loman said:

Agreed , Look at those lofty prices they are getting for the Icon . They hit this one right out of the park.

Amazing what people will pay to sail on that one. 

I will wait a while to sail on it.

I don't have any insider info - but I very much doubt that these Icon sailings are anything but hype and held back cabins aligned with the new and improved dynamic pricing.. I do not think the sailings are anywhere near full at all outside maybe the inaugural for die hard fans, or there is a mass booking craze at these insane prices.. What you see is NOT what you get.. Time will tell.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, seasidemama said:

I don't have any insider info - but I very much doubt that these Icon sailings are anything but hype and held back cabins aligned with the new and improved dynamic pricing.. I do not think the sailings are anywhere near full at all outside maybe the inaugural for die hard fans, or there is a mass booking craze at these insane prices.. What you see is NOT what you get.. Time will tell.

Kinda like the automobile industry , they tell you no stock but if you pay full sticker price ( or more )

then they will put you on the list and you will wait your turn . 

3 years since the start of covid and they still have a chip shortage ?