Lavazza coffee on Princess ships- in the buffet too?

Alberta54

If anyone has sailed recently, can you tell me if the “new” coffee Princess is advertising is available in the buffet & dining rooms or just at the International cafe? The news release isn’t clear if it is throughout the ship or only in specific areas. I will be on the Majestic in the near future so if anyone has been on that ship it would be good to know. The syrup + water coffee that Princess has served in the past was disgusting. Thanks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alberta54 said:

If anyone has sailed recently, can you tell me if the “new” coffee Princess is advertising is available in the buffet & dining rooms or just at the International cafe? The news release isn’t clear if it is throughout the ship or only in specific areas. I will be on the Majestic in the near future so if anyone has been on that ship it would be good to know. The syrup + water coffee that Princess has served in the past was disgusting. Thanks. 

Have you sailed on a Princess ‘Royal’ class ship? The Majestic is a Royal class ship.

On Royal class ships, in the Buffett, they do not use syrup/brick + water thru a spigot. They have a machine with real ‘beans’, so the easiest conversion would be the beans would now be Lavazza beans, but I have no ideal if the area will be retrofitted for the large Lavazza drip containers as shown in the previous post that is now on the Sapphire which is an older ‘grand’ class ship and the buffet beverage area setups are not the same as on the newer ‘Royal’ class.

Assume like most rollouts, it will be on a ship by ship basis, when the coffee is converted to Lavazza. I think I saw a post another ship besides Sapphire has Lavazza.

I was on the Sapphire early July is when the first Lavazza drip containers were installed, but only for the front Buffett beverage station. The back Buffett still was using the spigot syrup/brick + water mix.

@ceilidh1 will you verify the back buffets beverage stations, on Sapphire, also are using the large Lavazza branded drip vessels as shown in your picture? And is the coffee in the MDR now from Lavazza? I am not a coffee drinker so I would not know as I did not order coffee in the MDR.

46 minutes ago, Alberta54 said:

Majestic has decent coffee at the buffet. I don't believe the Royal class has the horrific liquid concentrate.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

What do you all think about the Lavazza?

Hoping it is good coffee!

But, we are 'smooth' Dunkin' people, so...

Sorry, not good coffee - but great coffee.  Recently we were in buffet on Ruby, and without any notification one morning during breakfast I asked for a cup of coffee and one small taste I turned to table mates and said - this is great coffee.  I mentioned this to the waiter and he said, five mins ago they switched to the new coffee.  Thank goodness no more syrup undrinkable coffee.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

What do you all think about the Lavazza?

Hoping it is good coffee!

But, we are 'smooth' Dunkin' people, so...

I’ve had Lavazza espresso and it’s great!  Hope it’s at the IC coffee bar.

Just curious, what type of Lavazza beans are they using in the buffet and IC?
I just looked up and read they have many different types of roast (there isn’t just one type of Lavazza):

Lavazza Super Crema  
Lavazza Gran Crema  
Lavazza Gold Selection  
Lavazza Top Class  
Lavazza Qualita Rossa  
Lavazza Crema e Gusto  
Lavazza Gran Aroma  
Lavazza Pienaroma

1 hour ago, UT-Volsfan said:

We are on the Grand Princess and the new coffee is onboard here. Definitely better than the old syrup system. 

DH will be glad to hear there might be better coffee on the Grand.  We board 26 Sept in SF.  Can you post the name of the Captain and Cruise Director.TIA

52 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

I just looked up and read they have many different types of roast (there isn’t just one type of Lavazza):

Lavazza Super Crema  
Lavazza Gran Crema  
Lavazza Gold Selection  
Lavazza Top Class  
Lavazza Qualita Rossa  
Lavazza Crema e Gusto  
Lavazza Gran Aroma  
Lavazza Pienaroma

Those are varietals available to the public.  Most likely, Princess is using what Lavazza manufactures for food service.  Also, the varietals you’ve listed are for espresso, so not sure that they would be using these for brewed coffee in the buffet.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coo359a2 said:

DH will be glad to hear there might be better coffee on the Grand.  We board 26 Sept in SF.  Can you post the name of the Captain and Cruise Director.TIA

Cruise Diector is David Frost.

I believe the captain we have will be departing mid Sept and do not know his replacement's name.

10 hours ago, Knickearth said:

Sorry, not good coffee - but great coffee.  Recently we were in buffet on Ruby, and without any notification one morning during breakfast I asked for a cup of coffee and one small taste I turned to table mates and said - this is great coffee.  I mentioned this to the waiter and he said, five mins ago they switched to the new coffee.  Thank goodness no more syrup undrinkable coffee.

Great to hear about this change on the Ruby. 

That syrup stuff was nasty. 

Hopefully not on the Sky as the current coffee  in buffet, dining room and International cafe is disgusting, weak and not drinkable anywhere.  Never experienced this quality on any of our cruises.  I am not alone in my experience.

Thankfully they have kettles in cabins.  Purchased instant coffee in port to make a half way decent cup.   

On 8/24/2023 at 4:50 PM, UT-Volsfan said:

We are on the Grand Princess and the new coffee is onboard here. Definitely better than the old syrup system. 

Glad to hear it as we will board Grand Princess the end of September. I never did like the syrup coffee. Sometimes it was "drinkable" but not great. Other times it was utter swill. We like to have a coffee after dinner and it was a crap shoot as far as what would be served. At times I've been known to order a Drambuie or another liqueur after dinner and add it to my coffee but, with the syrup coffee, it often wasn't good enough to waste the liqueur. (Of course I then drank it straight...)

23 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Lavazza Super Crema  
Lavazza Gran Crema  
Lavazza Gold Selection  
Lavazza Top Class  
Lavazza Qualita Rossa  
Lavazza Crema e Gusto  
Lavazza Gran Aroma  
Lavazza Pienaroma

Guessing none of those.

Something which hits the price point for Princess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

@ceilidh1  When you get a chance, would you please find out if the Lavazza is brewed, not from syrup?  I really appreciate it.

When I was on the Sapphire early July when they installed the first Lavazza containers/dispensers in the buffet, I saw one being refilled. There was a large funnel attachment they use above the container which I assume has ground coffee/filter and water flows down and eventually fills the dispenser/container picture, do you consider this ‘brewed’.

• Thanks 1