Now $1.50 for gelato in Windjammer

I was on Spectrum this month and they were selling regular ice cream in their version of Cafe Promenade (which is called La Patisserie on the Spectrum). It was around $5-$6 with a waffle cone. I was surprised to see so many people buying it.

They also had macaroons and other snacks like sandwiches and wraps for sale in another venue called The Leaf and Bean (another coffee and tea shop). I was excited to see the macaroons and started ordering one of every flavor until my daughter pointed out that they weren't free.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Shoot I remember when Soda Pop was free with my Meals, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Been carrying on my own Pop since the 90's when they started charging. That said I don't mind that some places Charge for extra's,. Like Airlines, fly about 20 times a yr with most on Airlines that charge Baggage Fees. But last 20yrs had double of most my stuff half at each end my Flights so no Fees. Cruise 6-8 weeks a yr, no shore excursions, no Soda Pop(except what I carry on), no T-shirts/magnets bought and definitely no Gelato for me

Can I ask if you find base rates are staying down while these extras are getting charged for

1 hour ago, vision14k said:

I get it, but at the end of the day they’re a business and it’s only about making money.  They really don’t care about any of us.  When demand drops, so will the prices.  Until then, while people pay the high prices, they will remain high.  They offer a “perceived by some” superior product that people are apparently willing to pay for and that likely won’t change.

And I believe with that attitude if you ran a business in the service industry it would not last long ! ... You are making my point for me . I completely agree that a primary function of a business is to make money .... But  IF ? And I do say If , you are right and they are to the point where that's all they care about in this case ... they will not be rakin in these kinda profits for long . Peoples tolerances are being tested , better not push too far !

Cheers

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

And I believe with that attitude if you ran a business in the service industry it would not last long ! ... You are making my point for me . I completely agree that a primary function of a business is to make money .... But  IF ? And I do say If , you are right and they are to the point where that's all they care about in this case ... they will not be rakin in these kinda profits for long . Peoples tolerances are being tested , better not push too far !

Cheers

I hear what you’re saying I just disagree people will be pushed too far that they’ll leave forever.  Royal is constantly monitoring bookings and when/if they need to, prices will be adjusted and if people did “leave”, they’ll come back… 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Can I ask if you find base rates are staying down while these extras are getting charged for

Can't complain. Fly to my homes Michigan to Arizona 4 times each every yr. Then to Cruise Ports in Florida,  Boston and Cali from either home and paying same or less then was even Pre-CV, definitely lower going Arizona-Florida then 3+ yrs ago. Compared to 15-20yrs ago all are lower, even more so on larger Delta, American, then Regional/Budget Allegiant or Southwest Air. And all this as Gas prices are still higher. Cruises, been lucky still get descent Rates even into 2024-25 on most, C&A and Military Discounts help. Better on longer 10+ niters then couple 4-5 that I'm doing in Sept & Oct. Won't do the Oasis or future Icon, that's my Kids type of ships and too crowded for me. Though Royal Prices on all but one my Bookings did go up after they were released, some now more then Double what were when I Booked on first day.

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, vision14k said:

I hear what you’re saying I just disagree people will be pushed too far that they’ll leave forever.  Royal is constantly monitoring bookings and when/if they need to, prices will be adjusted and if people did “leave”, they’ll come back… 

I agree, not FOREVER, each of us has a cruise price point we are willing to pay for the product. If everything was all-inclusive that higher price point would turn many away. Why should I pay for someone else's ice cream and such would get brought up.  

For some, RCCL is already at the top of their price point and these recent upcharges and higher fees are causing folks to turn to other lines in the near future. 

• Like 4

To be honest you only have yourselves to blame. 

They whinge then continue to pay it. 

this is why inflation sticks until the consumer is broken psychologically. 

I’ve started booking other lines. No longer get the drinks package and will only book cheap price fares. 

I can afford it easily. I just refuse to reward lazy companies gouging their customers. 24/25 will see consumers live in the real world. The signs are already showing. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That's not the windjammer, and that's not a new charge.

Hello,

This is a genuine enquiry, not the start of an argument.

If not the WJ, can you say where this is? My RCI experience is limited to Independence (long ago), most Voyager class and now Anthem and if not the WJ then I cannot place it.

Regards,

Cublet

They've been charging extra for Ice cream at the candy store and ice cream shops on the ships...this isn't new.  Are we going to start posting pictures of Johnny rockets burgers with prices next to them and call it nickel and diming? 

Edited by Scottdalfonso
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

I agree, not FOREVER, each of us has a cruise price point we are willing to pay for the product. If everything was all-inclusive that higher price point would turn many away. Why should I pay for someone else's ice cream and such would get brought up.  

There is a basic problem with that line of thought.  How do you answer the next question when someone asks why should I pay for lobster, yellow cheese, vegetables etc etc etc just give me ice cream and cake. That's all is really want to eat.

There would be no end to it.

The basic cruise fare should include a well rounded menu and extra items similar to what had been in the past.

The nickel and diming for popular items such as Windjammer ice cream is a dangerous beginning.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Virgin Voyages's free ice cream is really good. It's right next to their really good free pizza.

At $3,000 for 2 for a 5 night western Caribbean sailing in early December, that ice cream and pizza are not close to being "free".

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

There is a basic problem with that line of thought.  How do you answer the next question when someone asks why should I pay for lobster, yellow cheese, vegetables etc etc etc just give me ice cream and cake. That's all is really want to eat.

There would be no end to it.

The basic cruise fare should include a well rounded menu and extra items similar to what had been in the past.

The nickel and diming for popular items such as Windjammer ice cream is a dangerous beginning.

Agree completely with this . I can accept many changes in the interest of profit , ( extra charge for second lobster , upselling to a chops filet ) , things like that to me are somewhat acceptable . But if you take away too many of the "little "perks that cruisers have come to expect , eventually the cruise experience may no longer be what it once was . To some money seems to be no object and they will stick to their loyalties no matter . But , for others (even those who can afford it ten times over) , the little digs become more of an insult , and therefore they will look elsewhere . 

I am not "whining" about any of this , rather making my observations . I love Royal with 11 completed , Just turning Diamond ,3 more booked (1 just this weekend)  , 2 more in "research phase" and only 1 cruise on another line so far (NCL) . But I am definitely finding myself searching elsewhere to see what's out there as prices are rising and services being cut . I'm  hoping I can continue to find good enough value to continue booking RCI !

Cheers

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

At $3,000 for 2 for a 5 night western Caribbean sailing in early December, that ice cream and pizza are not close to being "free".

The price point is getting closer and closer though. Gratuities and great wifi are included, and the food is considerably better. There's a value to me in my cruise experience to not be seen as a revenue target as well. There's no upselling or nickel and diming onboard. I enjoy both brands. Time will tell, but I could see frequent cruisers who sail without kids deciding to cruise less often but spending more for an upgraded product feel. Royal gets the big family groups. There's probably enough market share for both as long as the economy keeps humming along. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Time will tell, but I could see frequent cruisers who sail without kids deciding to cruise less often but spending more for an upgraded product feel. Royal gets the big family groups. There's probably enough market share for both as long as the economy keeps humming along. 

I am one of those frequent cruisers. I am thinking along the same lines. I feel that RCI is targeting younger families with their newer ships which is a great thing for them.

I just do not need all of the bells and whistles of the newer ships to enjoy myself. I do appreciate good food. I do not need large quantities but I appreciate quality.

I am holding off on RCI future cruise reservations for the year 2025. I have my 2023 and 2024 reserved. I am going to use my remaining cruises as a test of RCI quality versus pricing against some of the competitors.