Man Overboard on Wonder of the Seas

If not witnessed going overboard, unfortunately 99% of the time a search is a lost cause.  Even worse odds at night.  Learned this in my emergency training.

So if I heard that OSCAR PA announcement now, I would know they were likely already too late.  Awful feeling.

Edited by compuryan
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Family members are posting online about this on Facebook. Looks like a teen boy. 

How tragic. My heart breaks for them. It’s every parent’s worst nightmare. 

It was a 19 year old🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crbonfiber said:

No one "falls off" a ship. They have to be doing something they should not be doing or they jumped. It impossible to fall off. Sad none the less.

It is possible to fall off the ship.  You just have to be doing something you shouldn't be doing before the fall.

• Like 5

Ugh, this is so sad. We took DS (15/yo at the time) on his first cruise last December and after the "ooohing and ahhing" I very soberly told him not to mess with trying to sit on a railing, push "upward" on a railing to hoist himself high, lean over too far, etc, all the dumb things teen boys might do. I explained what "going over" means in many gruesome scenarios and details. Didn't want to freak him out but I'd rather he had a terrifying visual to remind him to respect gravity and the sea. So sad for this family, a parent's worst nightmare. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GetToLivin said:

Ugh, this is so sad. We took DS (15/yo at the time) on his first cruise last December and after the "ooohing and ahhing" I very soberly told him not to mess with trying to sit on a railing, push "upward" on a railing to hoist himself high, lean over too far, etc, all the dumb things teen boys might do. I explained what "going over" means in many gruesome scenarios and details. Didn't want to freak him out but I'd rather he had a terrifying visual to remind him to respect gravity and the sea. So sad for this family, a parent's worst nightmare. 

We did the same with our teens.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

Same, it’s better to let them know how serious it is to fall off the ship. I also have a policy that no one can hold my daughter (5) near any railings, she has to just look at the view through the glass. I feel very terrible for the 19 year old and his family. 

• Like 4

Hi everyone I know some people on here were concerned about family members on the Wonder of the Seas because the young man (Sigmund) jumped or fell. I am on the ship and The fact he went overboard had absolutely nothing to do with the hurricane or anything to do with the ship. Everyone else on the ship is just fine! We re-routed way away from the hurricane so it had nothing to do with storms or weather whatsoever. Just wanted to assure you that everything on the ship is fine

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, penni827 said:

Hi everyone I know some people on here were concerned about family members on the Wonder of the Seas because the young man (Sigmund) jumped or fell. I am on the ship and The fact he went overboard had absolutely nothing to do with the hurricane or anything to do with the ship. Everyone else on the ship is just fine! We re-routed way away from the hurricane so it had nothing to do with storms or weather whatsoever. Just wanted to assure you that everything on the ship is fine

I don't thing anyone ever had any doubts.

Unfortunately, these events, nearly always turn out to be an intentional act.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 2:38 AM, kiska said:

We don't have any more updates right now beyond those already posted. To recap - man overboard search and rescue operation went on for 3 hours, person wasn't found. Now the ship is full speed ahead to Grand Cayman due to an unrelated medical emergency. 

Was it confirmed that an individual went overboard.  Some years ago (pre-cameras) when we left Civitavecchia, Italy, right after dinner there was an Oscar, Oscar announcement.  Saw crew members scurrying all over the place.  We were on the Serenade and were ordered to our cabins so that they could control and inventory of all the passengers.  They did this some 3 times.  We had a balcony cabin, and it was a sight.  Searchlights and other equipment not only from the Serenade but other cruise ships and other vessels that were in the area joined in the search.  After some 4 hours of searching approval to leave was given by the Italian Coast Guard.  

The good news was that everyone was accounted for, and it was surmised that someone had left either a shirt or jacked on one of the loungers and it blew into the water.

To this day I still don't understand why they did not require all passengers to meet in a location and scan their sea passes rather than a physical inventory while in cabins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

To this day I still don't understand why they did not require all passengers to meet in a location and scan their sea passes rather than a physical inventory while in cabins.

Someone could be tossed overboard deliberately.  Murderer could then scan their seapass card.  

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Ordering everyone to their cabins means they can systematically check and not miss anyone while verifying identity.   Too easy to miss someone if people are out and about.   

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BND said:

Ordering everyone to their cabins means they can systematically check and not miss anyone while verifying identity.   Too easy to miss someone if people are out and about.   

And each room steward can each check their assigned cabins, so more hands on deck for a quicker process.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BND said:

I had totally forgotten that we had to do this once, it took a couple of hours we had to stay in the room to be counted. I don’t remember the outcome, so maybe it was a positive one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Someone could be tossed overboard deliberately.  Murderer could then scan their sea pass card.  

The sea pass has an associated face/pix as a match.  That is the reason when you disembark at a port, they look at the monitor.