The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 3rd, 2023

richwmn

Good morning, everyone!

@Crazy For Cats and @luvteaching

bon-voyage-card-vacation-illustration-headline-flat-mosaic-style-52335720.thumb.jpg.f8df5368b11db3ec00dbc290f9363003.jpg

It is going to be a hot one today here in mid-Michigan.  We are planning to meet River's cousins, Samson and Griffin, at the spray park this afternoon and dinner may very well be ice cream.  

I'm going to pass on the soba noodles today, but for those of you who would like them, I found several recipes.  This first recipe gives you the framework for the dish - noodles and veggies.  It really doesn't matter which veggies you use.  You can be quite creative there!  https://sixhungryfeet.com/vegan-soba-noodle-salad/

sobanoodlesalad1.thumb.jpg.7c418b5e71e64ae5aff624170674ab13.jpg

This next recipe uses a peanut sauce for the dressing.  I like anything with peanut butter in it.  https://frommybowl.com/soba-noodle-salad-peanut-sauce/

sobanoodlesalad2.thumb.jpg.cb67d95faa767da4a06ac0e4a079f517.jpg

And here's one for the heat lovers as it adds in red pepper flakes.  A little bite to it might be good! 

https://simple-veganista.com/soba-cucumber-noodles/

sobanoodlesalad3.thumb.jpg.f33f62fbd360f5b96682cb2f5531092f.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Good morning. It’s 5:00 AM here and just waking up. After our beautiful ride down upon our arrival weather changed. Misty fog banks rolled in and there was a big temperature drop. The Pacific with higher tides due to the moon and wind was roaring but was filling the air with a bouquet of ocean fishy scented air. Wonderful. It was a joyful evening of reunion and we made it easy on ourself with ordered wood burning oven cooked pizzas. Very good.

Plans? We have no plans, other than eventual communal breakfast and enjoying the beach, roaring surf and each other. Will try and post pictures later of our beach house and views. 

The big question is arise at 5:00 AM or try and go back to sleep? I’m leaning toward the latter. Vanessa thanks for the Care List. You may remove us as our celebration has come true and being very much enjoyed.Have a great day everyone, Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.a65874940af08d97cc229fbec60089cc.jpegimage.jpeg.32c8a2e637d9f83e5b3a2e0f34e22c9c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.200e6b48ae91a6a431f0408ed6e4c3a3.jpegimage.jpeg.62181a911a89bb7459007071e231df50.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6ea9e8bb6f1fe092c049ec9b3cb92eb2.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Haha 16

Good Sunday morning everyone. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

The hot weather has returned. We will have several days in the upper 90s. Yuck. Nothing special planned for today. Maybe work on a few odd jobs around the house. 

Bon voyage to @Crazy For Cats and @luvteaching

I love seeing all of the pictures from everyone. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Easy like Sunday morning | Force athletique, Crossfit, Mouvements de ...

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@kazu Bertie has that same piggy from Costco!  I hope Ivan loves it too.

It’s his smallest toy.  He loves it.  This dog is a toy lover 😆 

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Ivan looks lovely.

Thanks.  He’s a whole new dog now 🙂 

33 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@kazu looks like Ivan loves his new lamb. 

Yes, he loved the pig.  He has a lamb too, and a squirrel and a koala and….  😂 

He doesn’t hurt his toys and loves to cuddle one or play fetch with them so why not?  He sure didn’t have much in the way of toy before.  His old ones went in the garbage.  He didn’t touch them and they were not worthy to donate.  Dollar store stuff.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny and warm morning. It’s going to be hot all week long, in the middle to upper 90’s. Some schools have already announced they are closing early because they don’t have air conditioning.

Graham @grapau27, it was nice to see Father David outside in the beautiful sunshine. I appreciate his message every week.

The escaped convict has still not been found and people are still urged to stay inside. Longwood Gardens are staying closed until further notice. 

@Crazy For Cats, Bon Voyage, I’m so glad you made it safely to Montreal.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Thank you @1ANGELCAT.

Take care and keep safe and hopefully the escaped convict is caught soon.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Scrolling as I eat…. niece is out the door, on the road. We are wrapping up here, heading out.

Short night after a fun time  last night. Home late, trying to think through travel plan changes, and DH had an eye pressure spike, so extra meds, extra measurements, extra waiting in between. Keeping flexible and moving forward. 

Blessings all!  Bon Voyage Karen!  
Time to zip things up, take out trash, turn off all the water valves. We’ll change drivers more today, at least traffic should be light. 

Thanks all for your caring love and loving care. m—

• Like 31

Good morning from a warmer central Texas.  It is 79F and feels like 83F.  The humidity is up at 71% with a dew point of 69F, so my walk will not be quite as pleasant as the last few days, especially since I slept late and will be walking later.  Our predicted high is 98F, but my guess is it will be higher.

It's been quite a while since we went to the cinema or bowling.  I was in a league in high school one year.  Skyscrapers are interesting.

I've been on some committees that sound like the ones Milton Berle was talking about in today's quote.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine might be worth a try.

We have been to Bali once in 2000 on P&O world cruise on Oriana, but our port was Benoa.  I don't think we were any where near Celukan Bawang.  In 2002, the Volendam had to miss Bali after the night club bombing.

We were supposed to take a tour to San Marino in 2016 while on Prinsendam, but had to cancel the tour.  The Treaty of Paris is important in US history.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'm sorry your DGSs are sick, and I hope they are better soon.  The trip to Portugal for the college bound DGS sounds interesting even if it's a work trip for his dad.  I'm sorry Mark is having so many problems.

@kazu Jacqui,  a dog can't have too many toys.  😁

@cat shepard  Ann, thank you for the anniversary wishes.  It was a quiet day here.

@Beckett  Welcome to the Daily, Jane.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, after you and your house cleaner get the house back together, I hope you will enjoy many quiet and relaxing days.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad most of the staining is finished.  Thanks for the picture of the monarch butterfly.

@1ANGELCAT  I hope they can catch the escaped prisoner soon.  It too bad Longwood Gardens has to close on a holiday weekend, but safety comes first.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm glad you arrived safely yesterday, and are having a good time.

@RMLincoln Maureen, I'm glad you had a good time last night.  I'm sorry your DH had a pressure spike, and hope it gets under control soon.  Safe travels today.

370265073_6616017015122323_4632893852360262425_n.jpg.540854fb079202a5333420b2b9df1823.jpg

370545021_271865908969078_4253012242378114836_n.jpg.3d39488b2804695ef24179c8f6a56c35.jpg

370551402_643969674598814_903045648991605533_n.jpg.1280781984d60fa88a4bb9b625f8b3cc.jpg

372901175_734973902003744_4064404899371763457_n.thumb.jpg.52804deb066df3d74c507260a79a7bf7.jpg

371878366_848225266670650_9062288310894921443_n.jpg.69388d4cbc60dffe8740ff2037e43817.jpg

372982948_836008797905614_731501965274733038_n.thumb.jpg.b3b1b7d943f6f9111e19e87706dcb3ad.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 25

Good Sunday morning,

It has been a while since I have read or posted on the Daily. Since my return from Tucson I have been super busy. I have an out of town guest and the DGK’s love being around her so my life and house have been a tornado. 

A quick update on Murphy. They had a care conference and not much new but the parents decided no trach and she is a DNR if she codes again. CT scan of head did not show much more than the head ultrasounds she has been getting (small area from previous stroke). She can not get an MRI until the pacemaker is removed. My niece is donating breast milk as she has way more than Murphy will use. So sad for this young couple. 

Everyone is still sleeping and I am enjoying the peace and quiet. Prayers and well wishes for our care list and travelers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 31

None of the special days resonates with me. I approve of soba noodles because they're made with buckwheat, and if 100% buckwheat, are gluten-free. OTOH, most of the brands readily available here are soba nagano, which contains wheat. BTW, most of the buckwheat in the U.S. is packed by a single company, Burkett Mills, in Penn Yan, NY, here in the Finger Lakes, that has been at the same location since 1795.

Pass on the drink. For the wine, a red blend, I might substitute Bully Hill Meat Market Red. I probably don't need to say that I  haven't been to Bali.

San Marino sticks in my mind because of reading that, although it is not a party to the Schengen Agreement, it might as well be, as it has an open border with Italy, which surrounds it. As for the Treaty of Paris, I'd like to know about the food and wine.

Returning the (unrelated) topics of Montreal and luggage from yesterday: I've often thought about cruises that begin or end in Montreal, but the logistics are puzzling since there is no air service between Montreal and any airport near me without an inconvenient connection someplace like LGA. Confusingly, it takes no more time to drive from here to YUL than to BOS.

Luggage: for my next cruise, because the air travel to Spain has a long layover at the domestic gateway--which I need, because it's a class day--and I can check two bags, I'm going to do that and carry just a personal item. On the flight back from Fort Lauderdale, I can check only one bag, so the second will be an international-size carry-on.

kettlecorn.thumb.jpg.61e472852c565ccebe6d47a0484d2f46.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily.

It is sunny and 76°F here.

We had a lovely church service this morning and Father David's Sermon is in my previous post.

A fun quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I pray 🙏 everyone is safe and well.

Good wishes to those currently or due to sail.

IMG_20230903_115147.jpg

Graham, I see you took my advice from yesterday. No bacon on a bun on the dash. 😀

• Like 11
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. It’s 5:00 AM here and just waking up. After our beautiful ride down upon our arrival weather changed. Misty fog banks rolled in and there was a big temperature drop. The Pacific with higher tides due to the moon and wind was roaring but was filling the air with a bouquet of ocean fishy scented air. Wonderful. It was a joyful evening of reunion and we made it easy on ourself with ordered wood burning oven cooked pizzas. Very good.

Plans? We have no plans, other than eventual communal breakfast and enjoying the beach, roaring surf and each other. Will try and post pictures later of our beach house and views. 

The big question is arise at 5:00 AM or try and go back to sleep? I’m leaning toward the latter. Vanessa thanks for the Care List. You may remove us as our celebration has come true and being very much enjoyed.Have a great day everyone, Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.a65874940af08d97cc229fbec60089cc.jpegimage.jpeg.32c8a2e637d9f83e5b3a2e0f34e22c9c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.200e6b48ae91a6a431f0408ed6e4c3a3.jpegimage.jpeg.62181a911a89bb7459007071e231df50.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6ea9e8bb6f1fe092c049ec9b3cb92eb2.jpeg

Oh no, another BOGO!  I scored -20 last nite! 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

@luvteaching Bon Voyage!  🍾🛳️

@Crazy For Cats Bon Voyage!  So happy you made it after the scare with the flight delays.  🛳️🍾

@kazu looks like Ivan loves his new lamb. 

Good morning.   No skyscrapers to see here.  Our cinema visits are on hold until we return home.  A fun quote by Milton Berle. Pass on the meal, the cocktail looks tasty and I wouldn't touch a 2012 vintage of a $9.99 wine with a ten foot pole.  A very important day in American history.  

Thanks for keeping us updated on the Cares and Celebrations Vanessa.  It takes a lot of work to keep up with the detail of everyone's comments to help us all out.  Prayers for all on the list and for those needing them.  Prayers for Ukraine and Maui and the hurricane victims in Florida.  

We got the west side stained in no time.  The stain had to be stowed until the south side was no longer sunny so I will do that this morning since it is cloudy.   Two more really hot days after today then a cold front moves through bringing us rain and a high of 59 on Monday.  We have had some strange years up here, we have had decent weather for the most part.  The poor fishing and the tomatoes not ripening well is frustrating.  

We had a couple of Monarch butterflies in the yard.  This time of year this is the generation that migrates to Mexico.  They were nectaring on my flowers all day loading up for the long flight. 

IMG_20230902_133924745_HDR.jpg

Next stop, point pelee national park, the southern most spit of land in Canada. The monarch’s are starting to gather and will do so for much of September, waiting there for the right wind to carry them across the lake. I have never personally witnessed the gathering even though point pelee is only about 40 miles from us, but the local news reports on the migration as well as updates on the parks Canada website.

• Like 31

Jane @Beckett welcome to the Daily.  We enjoy new readers joining us.

Lorraine @cruising sister glad to have you back here with us.  What a sad update for Baby Murphy.  I'm praying for a miracle for her!

Graham @grapau27 such a great picture of you two!  Frame it so you can enjoy it everyday.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser the second DGS who is sick had a birthday yesterday and ironically was sick last Sept. 2 as well.  Not fair!  If he's still sick this morning he will get a trip to a clinic for some strep, covid, and flu tests.  Then maybe antibiotics.  Probably just a virus he picked up in school.  He's the baby DGC and is 15 years old already!

We decided it was a lovely morning for a little exercise picking up pine cones from under the pine trees between our back yard slope and the golf course.  Good gravy, we must have picked up 400 to 500 of them.  That means fewer trees trying to spring up next year.  Our landscaper cuts it all with his string trimmers but this will help considerably with that job.  There's other work we'd like to do out there to keep it cleaner but not sure I can get DH down there with me again tomorrow.  We'll see.  After DH's coffee break I'll see if he wants to hit the grocery store this morning.  And I should do a little ironing.  Some of our cruise clothes that I laundered could use pressing.  Not my favorite chore!🙄 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning to all!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  AND the cartoons everyone posts (they make me laugh and spit out my coffee almost every morning!!)  I am not a fan of the "cinema" - too cold for me, too expensive (must have a diet soda and a large buttered popcorn!!) and halfway through I have to visit the lady's room!!  So I rarely go to the cinema.  My parents bowled but not me.  I love skyscrapers; lived in Dubai when it was built and dedicated.  We were on the apartment complex's roof as the fireworks were going off and listening to the dedication on the radio.  BUT when they said "Burj Khalifia"????  All the signs before the dedication said Burj Dubai and had to be changed the next day.  The story we heard was - Dubai needed money, Sheikh Mo went to Al Ain to ask for some money from Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Khalifia.  "Well, sure!" he said IF you name the building after me.  And the rest is history!!

I love soba noodles and the drink and wine sound good.  I have not been to Bali.  What a great day in history.

The morning temps are in the 70's now and we are only getting to the mid 90's during the day.  Downright pleasant weather!!  Humidity is high though (anywhere from 50-70%) so that makes it a little tough.  I will make my tagine today but wanted to marinate the chicken overnight.  Maybe instead of couscous I will make cold soba noodles.  Hmmm.

Thank you for the update on Baby Murphy.  That is such a heartbreaking situation.  Thoughts to everyone on the care list and cheers to those celebrating (and cruising!!  @Crazy For Cats and @luvteaching)

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  The last time we went to a cinema was in 2018 when we saw Bohemian Rhapsody.  I bowled in a league for a couple of years early in my career; it was a nice way to meet people and have some fun.  We don't have any skyscrapers here on the "frozen tundra", just a few taller office buildings.

It seemed very dark when I got up this morning and I thought for bit that our clocks had stopped during the night.  I looked outside and it was very cloudy, but as soon as I turned on my phone, there was an air quality alert - the skies are full of smoke and we are sitting at an Extreme level 10+ which means most of the day will be spent indoors.  I had planned on working outside with the plants, but think I'll stay inside and make blankets instead.  Or housework, we'll see.  LOL

@Crazy For Cats and @luvteaching Bon Voyage; enjoy your cruises!

@Beckett welcome to the Daily!

@kazu I just love Ivan; he looks like he should be wearing a smoking jacket and have a glass of scotch sitting beside him.  And his piggy.

@RMLincolnsafe travels today!

@cruising sister heartbreaking news about baby Murphy; continued prayers for this little sweetheart, and all who love her.

I'd like the drink of the day, would be willing to try the wine (hey, I drink Cardboardeaux, so what the heck!), and know I would like the menu suggestion, even though DH wouldn't.  I've already taken out one of our small pork roasts that will be put into the slow cooker for the day so we can have pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw for dinner tonight which we'll be enjoying it at the kitchen table instead of the deck because of the smoke.  And wine.

Prayer for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jane @Beckett welcome to the Daily.  We enjoy new readers joining us.

Lorraine @cruising sister glad to have you back here with us.  What a sad update for Baby Murphy.  I'm praying for a miracle for her!

Graham @grapau27 such a great picture of you two!  Frame it so you can enjoy it everyday.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser the second DGS who is sick had a birthday yesterday and ironically was sick last Sept. 2 as well.  Not fair!  If he's still sick this morning he will get a trip to a clinic for some strep, covid, and flu tests.  Then maybe antibiotics.  Probably just a virus he picked up in school.  He's the baby DGC and is 15 years old already!

We decided it was a lovely morning for a little exercise picking up pine cones from under the pine trees between our back yard slope and the golf course.  Good gravy, we must have picked up 400 to 500 of them.  That means fewer trees trying to spring up next year.  Our landscaper cuts it all with his string trimmers but this will help considerably with that job.  There's other work we'd like to do out there to keep it cleaner but not sure I can get DH down there with me again tomorrow.  We'll see.  After DH's coffee break I'll see if he wants to hit the grocery store this morning.  And I should do a little ironing.  Some of our cruise clothes that I laundered could use pressing.  Not my favorite chore!🙄 

Thank you Sandi.

I hope your grandsons are feeling better soon.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Interesting days, and I love the quote.

A busy summer of visitors is over, and it’s our turn to travel again.

We just got back yesterday from a week in Alaska on the Konigsdam with DH’s cousins. I’ve never been on a Pinnacle class ship before. It was interesting. The New York Deli was our favorite breakfast spot, mainly because it wasn’t crowded and there was no line up. The Grand Dutch Cafe was amazing! The Tamarind was also excellent. The MDR, staff and food, were great. The Pinnacle Grill was sub par at best. I never thought I could meet Clothesline Bacon I didn’t like, but they managed. And a medium rare fillet should not hit the table well done. The Lido was a zoo and some of the staff were actually rude, which you just don’t see on HAL. 
Yes, there’s a reason we never do Alaska in the prime summer weeks, but that’s when the cousins wanted to go. And of course, I was cruising again, so that’s the main point. The weather was gorgeous. It’s the fourth time we’ve been to Ketchikan, and the first time we’ve been there when it wasn’t raining. So all in all, it was a great week.

Happy Sunday to all, and cheers to your next time at sea, whenever it may be! 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

A quick update on Murphy. They had a care conference and not much new but the parents decided no trach and she is a DNR if she codes again. CT scan of head did not show much more than the head ultrasounds she has been getting (small area from previous stroke). She can not get an MRI until the pacemaker is removed. My niece is donating breast milk as she has way more than Murphy will use. So sad for this young couple. 

What a heartbreaking decision this poor couple has had to make 😢 I will keep praying for a miracle 🙏. So very sorry to hear this 😔 

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And I should do a little ironing.  Some of our cruise clothes that I laundered could use pressing.  Not my favorite chore!🙄 

Ironing?  What’s that?  What does it look like 😂 

11 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@kazu I just love Ivan; he looks like he should be wearing a smoking jacket and have a glass of scotch sitting beside him.  And his piggy.

Now that you say that, he does sort of doesn’t he?

IMG_0897.jpeg.b6c0ee41b6e374126e948d1fb128691c.jpeg

IMG_0899.jpeg.8e3454adf25869440643798aba1f93d2.jpeg

@Beckett welcome to the Daily. 🙂 

• Like 19
  • Haha 9