The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 8th, 2023

richwmn

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

This has not been one of my better days.  I slept fitfully last night with a very stuffy nose.  The sympoms pretty much resolved as I started moving around but I decided to take a covid test and it turned out positive.  I visited my local urgent care center and they confired it and I will get the results of a PCR test in a couple of days.  No fever either at home or there but it's still positive and I'm restricted.  They prescribed an antiviral and will pick it up tomorrow.

Roy

Roy, I'm sorry about the positive test results.  I hope you have a mild case, and can recover quickly.  In the meantime, rest and take care of yourself.

Lenda

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

This has not been one of my better days.  I slept fitfully last night with a very stuffy nose.  The sympoms pretty much resolved as I started moving around but I decided to take a covid test and it turned out positive.  I visited my local urgent care center and they confired it and I will get the results of a PCR test in a couple of days.  No fever either at home or there but it's still positive and I'm restricted.  They prescribed an antiviral and will pick it up tomorrow.

Roy

Oh, no.  So sorry to hear this.  Covid seems to be re-emerging.  Hope you have very mild symptoms and feel better  soon.  Katherine 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Dog gone it Roy, so sorry to hear about the Covid. I hope it is extremely mild!

• Like 13

Good afternoon. It remains warm and sticky here today.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos from your visit to Honningsvag.

@aliaschief Thanks for sharing the wonderful scenery from the left coast.

@lindaler I think we'd be surprised to know how many adults can't read or can barely read. Many years ago, after my mother retired from teaching, she taught adult illiterates to read.

@marshhawk I hope you can get back with the nutritionist you had before. Although I can't imagine that any trained registered dietician couldn't work with a diabetic. 

@rafinmd So sorry to hear of your positive Covid test. I hope your symptoms remain mild. I had a slight sore throat 2 days ago, and some stuffiness, so I tested myself. Fortunately I was negative x 2. I'm noticing more folks wearing masks in the grocery store, and I think I'll join them and also at PT.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Sorry to hear that, Roy.  I hope it is mild and that you are feeling well soon.  Rest as much as you need.

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I don't think my doctor was bad because she didn't tell me how many carbs I can eat per meal.  I'm sure that someone told me 7 years ago when I was first diagnosed  It's just that the older I get, the more I want in writing, and I should go into my doctors office with a list of questions.  Like, remind me, but how many carbs, etc..

I worked with a dietician for several years, and when she said I was doing well, do I still want to come back?  I replied, yes, it makes me accountable to someone other than my selfish self.  But then, she retired!  The endocrinologist recommended that I see their new dietician in the office, but when I tried to schedule an appointment, the scheduler said, she was just a basic dietician, she didn't work with diabetes people.....so really?  Well I was very happy to hear at my last appointment with the endocrinologist that Cheryl was coming back, retirement didn't suit her, I was ecstatic!  But she is not available yet for appointments.  Call after my cruise.

I think it would be really good for you to work with Cheryl again.  In the meantime, count those carbs.  Make it easy and eliminate the bread, rice, potatoes, and other starches.  

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

My BIL Scott is apparently doing better.  Has no memory however of why he was in the hospital to begin with, and while he is able to speak, he says his shoulder and thumb hurt, and he doesn't know why.  He probably fell at the time he had the stroke.

Good news!  May he continue to improve.

21 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@marshhawk I hope you can get back with the nutritionist you had before. Although I can't imagine that any trained registered dietician couldn't work with a diabetic. 

You would be surprised.  I went to a program put on by the dietician at a local hospital and it was horrendous.  She was pushing fried food, desserts, starches out the yazoo, etc.  She said we needed to eat lots of carbohydrates and if our blood sugar was too high to just take more medication.  She needed to find a new line of work.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, dfish said:

Sorry to hear that, Roy.  I hope it is mild and that you are feeling well soon.  Rest as much as you need.

I think it would be really good for you to work with Cheryl again.  In the meantime, count those carbs.  Make it easy and eliminate the bread, rice, potatoes, and other starches.  

Good news!  May he continue to improve.

You would be surprised.  I went to a program put on by the dietician at a local hospital and it was horrendous.  She was pushing fried food, desserts, starches out the yazoo, etc.  She said we needed to eat lots of carbohydrates and if our blood sugar was too high to just take more medication.  She needed to find a new line of work.

Debbie, that dietitian really needed to find a new line of work, or to take a refresher course.

Lenda 

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

I went to a program put on by the dietician at a local hospital and it was horrendous.  She was pushing fried food, desserts, starches out the yazoo, etc.  She said we needed to eat lots of carbohydrates and if our blood sugar was too high to just take more medication.  She needed to find a new line of work.

Wow Debbie, just wow!  No kidding she needed a new line of work. 😂

My only complaint when I went to those little classes they sent me to was that I knew more than the dietitian did (but then I watched my Mom and other relatives battle Diabetes most of my life).  I stopped going when I realized she wasn't teaching me anything. 

• Like 13

Good evening from St Petersburg. 

Norway is a favorite. Honningsvag is certainly an intetesting port and Nordkapp a tourist destination for Europeans in particular.  We liked the little museum with the historic views including how the Germans had come there for many years even before WWII.

It was cold (45F) and rainy on our day there in July, but we thought no worse than suffering the heat at home.

If you haven't been to Norway, GO!

20230719_174805.jpg

20230719_143650.jpg

20230719_112800.jpg

20230719_143659.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Wow Debbie, just wow!  No kidding she needed a new line of work. 😂

My only complaint when I went to those little classes they sent me to was that I knew more than the dietitian did (but then I watched my Mom and other relatives battle Diabetes most of my life).  I stopped going when I realized she wasn't teaching me anything. 

I was very lucky when I went through the education program.  It was very small group - no more than 4 people and they arranged the groups so those in them had similar test results and A1Cs.  The final "class" was a one on one with the dietitian to devise a personal meal plan based on the foods we liked and would eat.  I surprised her by bringing in my food log.  

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, that dietitian really needed to find a new line of work, or to take a refresher course.

Lenda 

I figured she had stock in Pharma.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 11
  • Haha 4

@dfishThat's exactly what I was thinking. to " figured she had stock in Pharma.".

I paid bills this evening, and made a payment on a cruise, and ordered Cruise Cash for our 15 day cruise across the big pond.  Might use some for a build a bear.🙀Just what I need, more stuffed animals.  Of course I do, I use them as pillows! Or maybe take the art classes where they charge you.  

I do know that 15 days is a long cruise, especially when there are so many sea days. I told DH tonight that we have to somehow get more involved with our own cruise when we cruise. 

Walk the 4 laps around the deck 3 promenade for a mile every day.  Go to the gym, and go to Bill W meetings.......Line dance? hahahahahahaha

@rafinmde78072ffadce9f9bddcb4c20ce97fa2c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I was very lucky when I went through the education program.  It was very small group - no more than 4 people and they arranged the groups so those in them had similar test results and A1Cs.  The final "class" was a one on one with the dietitian to devise a personal meal plan based on the foods we liked and would eat.  I surprised her by bringing in my food log.  

I figured she had stock in Pharma.

I wonder whether, maybe in her training, she saw many clients who wouldn't/couldn't make dietary changes, and never developed the ability to estimate  what an individual patient would do.

A cousin of mine was in a psych residency where he had to do several general-medicine rotations, and had one patient after another who wouldn't make dietary and lifestyle changes, or couldn't even understand them. Unfortunately, many of his patients also didn't take medicine correctly. It is better for a patient to do one thing right than to do everything wrong.

FWIW, my cousin became a sort of therapist to the stars, although since he was in Washington, D.C., his famous patients were well-known politicians with addiction problems. Back then, the press still collaborated in keeping alcohol and drug use secret, or used coded language. If a news report said that such a person "was in high spirits," it meant "drunk as a skunk."

• Like 11

I so don't want to complain and be the Negative Nellie, but this weather is just nuts. It's after 10pm (as in nighttime) and 93 degrees!!

I've been listening to the a/c run non-stop, so I checked the weather. I should not have done that as I'm now all wound up.

New rule - no checking weather after 8 pm unless the alarms are going off.

Wishing you all better weather ahead - I know it's bad in so many places.

Screenshot_20230908-221620_Weather.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I'm sorry to hear your results Roy.

Hopefully your symptoms are mild and short lasting.

Best regards.

Graham.

• Like 5