The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 8th, 2023

richwmn

As a former English teacher and voracious reader, I celebrate Literacy Day.IMG_7815.thumb.png.386d073a63cee005e7ab1b177ae5b8e7.png

Thank you to all who post port pictures.  I will be in Norway next year.

@smitty34877 I am very sorry to hear Lou is not doing well.  My DH was rushed to the hospital three times during his cancer treatment.  Although they were some of our darkest days, he pulled through each time and the sun has been shining on him, cancer free for 8 years.  I too am not a formally religious person but I am sending you and all who are experiencing medical issues positive thoughts.

Sending everyone on the Daily peace, healing and all good wishes.

• Like 35

79 at 630am - headed to 109, but Tues looks to be much cooler w/a possibility of rain!!

I like that & gets its own day - it's a hardworker that makes a meaningful contribution.

I wish literacy for all - it's the path to freedom.

So many control freaks - wonder what George Orwell would have to say.

Passing on the meal and drinks, although I like the idea of a toddy, it reminds me of my grandmother. 

Not been to Norway, hope to go one day.

Thanks @StLouisCruisers for the lovely pictures. 

@smitty34877 sorry your DH is having hard days - prayers for you.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. My heart continues to break for Baby Murphy & family; that situation is impossible 🙏

I leave a week from today for B2B Canada/NE on Venezia. So ready for the cooler temps, but have not even opened a suitcase...

Screenshot_20230908-063754_Weather.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Upload
  • Like 27

@StLouisCruisers, I especially love the photo of the boots lined up with flowers in them!   The menu photo was interesting- yet I don’t think I could make myself eat reindeer meat.  

Prayers for this group who need well wishes and prayers. &  peace for the families. 

Thank you all for the Daily contributions & have a nice Friday. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday to All!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Interesting days, puzzling quote, meal sounds good but not a fan of a hot toddys, wine sounds good and never been to Norway.  2 happy days in history and one very sad day.

Decided to pick up a sub job today - 11-12 grade Poli Sci/US Hist class.  I do like high schoolers.  Picked up some more for Oct and I think I am now booked for everything I want as I will be gone for a week that month.  Goal is to work 6-7 days/month and I am passing that.  

Made some pesto last night so maybe tonight I will make some chicken with pesto.  Last night was all veggie night with cauliflower rice and veggie stir fry.  It was pretty good, I must say.

Sorry to read about all the health issues of everyone and my thoughts are with you.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great start to the weekend everyone!

• Like 28

So we aren't holding up anyone from retrieving photos I'll repost the links here.

From my earlier post which is waiting for the A-OK from the mods.

Our port this morning is Honningsvag, Norway and I guess Mageroya Island has something to do with that location too which I didn't know.  We've had Honningsvag as our port on Oct. 28, 2021 and Jan. 6, 2022.  I was there 3 times and the last time was during my Covid quarantine in 2022 so I missed stepping on shore.  However we enjoyed the first two times because Norway is at the top of our travel favorites (tied with Antarctica).  Here are the links to the former dates for your convenience.

Fingers crossed this post goes through.  🤞

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good 70 degree morning but with 98% humidity. More storms are expected today. It’s supposed to get up to 88 this afternoon.

It’s now day 8 and the hunt for the escaped prisoner continues. Longwood gardens was open briefly yesterday until a sighting was discovered on a trail cam in the woods. The gardens were evacuated and are now closed until further notice. I can’t imagine the stress that people in the community are going thru.

@smitty34877 prayers and hugs for all of your family.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

Let’s look at todays days.

National Ampersand Day. I actually knew a person named Bill Ampersand. He was a special character! 😀

National Date Nut Bread Day. Does it qualify if I had a date who was a nut!

I guess no one was wondering why I did not comment on Literacy Day, especially the writing part! 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Good evening everyone. We were in Honnigsvag a small city on Mageroya Island in July this year, on a 14 day cruise to Norway on the Rotterdam. We took a private tour to the North Cape and had the best weather of the cruise. It was very crowded. We also saw herds of reindeer and stopped at a Sami camp and saw a charming man in his National dress with a reindeer on a lead! 

CC81BFAE-4429-40E5-895D-85864A51CB35.thumb.jpeg.8eb32c09e48e951932d46e9dc35f2df1.jpegE9911D3C-281E-491D-B5AE-ED66EE7485E4.thumb.jpeg.2877fa67f9c33b090d73cf01ea653a8c.jpegE580CA6A-F35B-46D3-9212-BF2B72B94F7D.thumb.jpeg.6854ec670c5950c966ce8f5275de9754.jpeg

There is a wonderful statue of Sea Dog Bamse outside the information centre near the dock. His story is worth googling.

6DE5266E-9276-4183-9852-6FA95068E58C.thumb.jpeg.34b9cc962bf4820b91ee6859d69858c5.jpeg

It was a wonderful day. Norway is absolutely beautiful.

Best wishes to all.

8AFC2539-C927-4DDA-B193-32CFF5745B66.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  I'm off to the vascular doc this morning.  Currently posting with cat on the desk, and one by my feet.  Finally got my A1c report, not good.  Next week, I am going to work 4 8 hour days. and actually take some days to sleep late, Go for walks, and breathe!

@smitty34877I have you in my prayers and thoughts.  Please make sure that even though your world is out of control right now, that you take some time for self.

I did have to think about the quote.  @kazu Politicians in the US are currently trying to change the past, by having schools only use books in their teaching, that dont give the whole truth.  So in a way, they are controlling the past.  Which scares me.  If dumb is at the top of the society, then dumb people are being created.  

I saw a great T shirt yesterday that said, if History repeats itself, I am so going to get a dinosaur!

th?id=OIP.I7BOIEfdzC053nIKNzOPqwHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

965584c5dac526bc12d5e53072d57383.jpg

c8fba9bb12059267a4d958383c0f818f.jpg

• Like 30
  • Haha 3

FYI my original post with all my thoughts and comments (post #8) has been released on page 1.  I would copy and paste it to put here but don't dare try that again!  Sorry, you will have to go back to read it there!

@daisybertie it looked like a very nice, sunny day in Norway.  Thank you for your photos.  We also stopped at the Sami village but they weren't open for visitors yet.  Nice costume on your Sami villager!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Smitty34877’s DH Lou hospitalized

RMLincoln’s passing of a dear friend on 9/3

Catmando’s brother Scott suffering from a stroke 9/4

Crazy For Cats’ DM with a fall, hospitalization, pacemaker inserted

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Franklin or Idalia 

Shooting victim(s) 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, and new issues

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now and eventual surgery

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Lady Hudson celebrating the birth of a great-grandson, Jalen Alexander!

Cat shepard’s road trip with 3 friends

Mr. Boston in Europe prior to cruising

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas doing well and getting the ok to cruise!

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Heartgrove (MSC Preziosa Sept 14 to Sept 24) British Isles

6 days for Lady Hudson (Jewel of the Seas Sept 14 to Sept 28) Canada and Greenland

6 days for Mr. Boston (Oosterdam Sept 14 to Oct 8 ) 24d Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities

7 days for Cruising-along (Celebrity Solstice Sept 15 to Sept 22) Alaska

Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ), Luvteaching (Westerdam to Sept 10), LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 10), HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to Sept 13) and RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy to Sept 20, B2B)

Vanessa, I forgot to thank you this morning for your hard work on the lists.  So thank you very much!  Looks like the cruisers are gearing up again with many upcoming cruisers listed.  Hoping that continues.

• Like 18

Good morning, everyone!

@smitty34877 I'm holding you and Lou close.  Healing thoughts and wishes to you.  

I was part of the night owl club last night and I don't think I fell asleep until 2:30 am or later.  So, today I will be dragging a bit.  We got our walk in yesterday morning, but it started raining in the afternoon.  That meant no cutting the grass.  So, we decided to go walk indoors at the mall.  That was a dangerous decision as we both came home with new shoes.  Nothing exciting on the agenda for today other than Farkle Friday.  I am making the Queso Chicken.  It looks tasty and easy.  

Today's meal is one I would give a pass to due to the rice and maple syrup.  Way too many carbs for me.  The actual dish named seems to be from Bon Appetit and the other sites are just copies of that recipe.  I used one that isn't behind a paywall.  https://www.realgoodfish.com/recipe/757/sushi-rice-with-miso-caramel-glazed-salmon

sushiricesalmon1.jpg.475d6d0b68c087ef2efe979d54369bff.jpg

It sure looks good!  @Cruising-along, the sodium is way high, so you will probably want to skip this one.  

This next one is similar to today's meal, but not the same.  It is a coconut rice and the salmon doesn't have the maple syrup part.  But, it is still high in sodium and carbs.  https://www.sidechef.com/recipes/1196/miso_glazed_salmon_with_coconut_rice/

sushiricesalmon2.jpg.3b5c348ebb60ea7b7b3808f827f662f4.jpg

This last one is still a miso salmon but it is missing the rice.  It is ok on the carbs, but the sodium will still be high due to the miso.  https://thedeliciouslife.com/miso-salmon/

sushiricesalmon3.thumb.jpg.08a474e10e0d85081413bb9c41063638.jpg

@marshhawk  Sorry to hear about the disappointing A1C.  Count your carbs.  I keep a journal of what I'm eating by carb count, not calories.  No more than 30-45 carbs per meal.  

Wishing everyone a great day.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

@dfish You just gave me the information I needed, and my doc never tells me. I did have rice last night, it was left over, and i added chopped celery, roasted peppers, onions, and black olives to it.  I was impressed with the flavor and there were so many veggies, one cup of rice could have fed 3 people. (trying to empty the fridge out)

• Like 23

Good morning to all and prayers for all in need especially Baby Murphy and Lou.  Thanks to all who contribute to this thread.

Still very hot here — tomorrow may bring some relief.  Making a beef soup for dinner but if we had no AC I would not be doing that!!  Watching hurricane Lee carefully because we do not need any problems getting to Bayonne NJ on Thursday.  I booked this trip a year and a half ago and hope there are no interruptions.  I also don’t want any cancelled Greenland stops like a Carnival ship had a few days ago (from Idalia).  Oh the joys of traveling during hurricane season!

Have a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 25

Good morning Dailyites. 107 degrees today. Hell...

Thank you to our faithful contributors: Rich, Dixie, Ann, Debbie, Vanessa and a special shout out for the beautiful travel photo's Sandi and Lenda share with us.

Prayers said for all going through medical and emotional situations. Deepest prayers for Baby Murphy and for Lou. God's blessings to you all.

Whew, last night became quite the party. Food and drink flowed. There were my regular game girls (3) then our friends from Pflugerville stopped by. And another 2 couples came with more food and wine. The last couple left about 11:30. The girl's played 10's and the guy's watched a special on TV.

Sandi I don't know why some posts do not go through. I don't know why some captains names get put on hold. We have to use their initials. Your postings are always packed with great pictures and information. Thank you.

I took the hummingbird feeders down. Way too many bees buzzing around the patio. I moved a feeder towards the back yard but haven't seen one hummer. I'll wait a few days and put a feeder out in a new location. See if that helps.

image.png.c7c286d63ab1bcb317942f6bb8a2c3b0.png

image.png.05ddf3aeac953b2f3c843eda2f47c709.png

Wishing you a wonderful weekend. Blessings and happiness!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Yay for literacy!!  I don't often use the &, but am glad it's there when needed.  Will pass on the date nut bread as DH doesn't like dates, so I'd have to eat the whole thing myself.

First of all, @smitty34877I'm sending caring hugs and prayers for strength for you and good healing vibes for Lou.  

Yesterday was a good day, even though we had a storm blow through in the middle of the afternoon.  While DH and I were out delivering things to the thrift store, we made a stop at the WM where I picked up a good supply of some brightly coloured yarns for blankets.  One was a pretty coral colour and the other was a lovely shade of green, and  for the trim around the whole blanket, a variegated coral, green, yellow yarn.  The best thing is that they were all on sale!  It helped make up for the fact that I couldn't find any afghans that were suitable to take apart at the thrift store.

Our older friends from out of town (4 hours away) called last night to say they'd received notification from the vascular surgeon of a follow-up appointment available for Monday afternoon, so we'll be getting company on Sunday.  Time to menu plan, as he's still on a lactose and gluten free diet.

@kazuI can only imagine how tactful you were in your post on the roll call thread; you have such a wonderful way with words.

@marshhawk sorry your A1C report isn't good; I hope you can get it under control.  Any word on DH's DB after the stroke?

@kochleffelwhen do we get to see pictures of your kitties?

Today will be spent tidying up the house (company's coming!), and getting DH to drill some holes in some rectangular pots I purchased so I can start transplanting the succulents into containers that can stand side by side.  All those round pots take up so much room!  I'll pass on the drink of the day, would like the wine (although the distributor notes should say "soil", not "dirt"), and will pass on the menu suggestion as DH doesn't care for miso anything.  It's Friday night pizza night so we'll check the online menus to see what appeals to us and we'll be able to enjoy dinner on the deck again tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially our dear baby Murphy.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 28

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Literacy is so important. & I like date nut bread. The quote is too deep for me before coffee. I'll pass on the meal (fish), yes to the drink (I make that when sick with a cold or flu) and wine. I haven't been to Honningsvag. 3 important days in history. I feel fortunate to have seen the statue of David, back when you could get up close. Remembering the late Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on this first anniversary of her passing.

Lots of rain here yesterday, prompting flood warnings. I had a nice dinner out yesterday with BFF and his German cousin and friend. Some rain today, but not as heavy. I have PT a bit earlier, then nothing special planned. I hope to do yardwork tomorrow before more rain comes in. 

@ottahand7 That daylily is gorgeous.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels for DS and DGS. Great photos from Norway.

@cat shepard Maybe I confused you with someone else, who was going to see some National Parks? Sorry.

@Crazy For Cats Sorry your excursion was cancelled. Good news that your DM was transferred to rehab.

@smitty34877 I am sorry to hear the news about Lou's condition. Many prayers for his improvement and for you and the family as you go through this difficult time. 

@HAL4NOW Too bad the port got cancelled. Thanks for the photos.

@kazu (((Hugs))). Your flowers are beautiful, as always.

@daisybertie I appreciate you sharing your Norway photos.

@marshhawk I hope you can get your A1C down. How is Scott doing?

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning,

First off I want to let @smitty34877 I am praying for DH. 

I have to make a trip to the DMV today. I got in line on line and have 200 minutes until my turn. At least I can wait at home until it is my time. 

I have been to todays port and really enjoyed it. I bought a a picture by a local artist that I love. She rips pieces out of magazines to get the colors she wants. It reminded me of myself on my first solo

trip. 

tr. IMG_1539.thumb.jpeg.ce0b7d81fe4de5775f83dfa3c3af580e.jpeg

Prayers for all on our list and those in need. Have a great day. 

• Like 31

31 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sandi I don't know why some posts do not go through. I don't know why some captains names get put on hold. We have to use their initials. Your postings are always packed with great pictures and information. Thank you.

Thank you Joy.  You are a sweetie!  ❤️

Your party sounds like quite the event.  You and Allen are so social.🥳  We, on the other hand, are such homebodies.🤓

• Like 15

Good morning all!

I've been awake since a little after 5, finally dragged myself out of bed a little before 6 -- but for once I slept well all night, so I'll take it. 🙂  

Terry @smitty34877 I add my thoughts and prayers for you and for Lou.  While going through cancer treatments my sister also had several ER visits -- prayers that all will be ok.

Nancy @ottahand7 the colors of your Daylilies are exquisite!  

Jacqui @kazu Thank you for posting the photos of your beautiful flowers 🙂  My garden is winding down, and I don't have many fall-blooming plants so I appreciate seeing yours.

Annie @marshhawk I'm sorry you're struggling with your A1C and I cannot believe your doctor never mentioned carbs?! I think I would change doctors... Just keep an eye on what you eat during the day and try not to have a lot of carbs (especially in one meal).  You'll be fine, it's a balancing act.

I'll pass on the drink, red wine, and meal.  Debbie @dfish Thanks for thinking of me about the sodium content 🙂  Anything with soy sauce (even "reduced sodium soy sauce" is out for me, or at least I reduce the amount a LOT.  It didn't appeal to me anyway luckily 😂 The thought of maple syrup and salmon doesn't sound great...will stick to my usual lemon and garlic. 

I always admired Queen Elizabeth so much, and since we recently watched The Crown my admiration grew even more.  

Today I'm going to broach the subject of celebrating Christmas early with the DD, DSIL, DS and DDIL.  I realized that we'll leave on the GA just a week after Christmas....and now that flu/Covid/etc. etc. season is upon us, I don't want to risk getting sick just before the cruise.  So DH and I will most likely self-isolate as much as we can.  This is the first time we've traveled or cruised in the middle of winter, it's all new to us.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We visited Honningsvag in 2013 on Crown Princess and in 2016 on the Best. Norway. Cruise. Ever on the Prinsendam.  Like I said in my original post we skipped going ashore in 2022  because we were locked up in Covid jail on the Island Princess.

In 2016 we took a private tour and our driver and 1st mate were @Gail & Marty sailing away.  There were 8 of us total. Our destination was North Cape (or Nordkapp).  Here are my photos.  At 8 am we left the ship and walked over to the nearby car rental place and were on the road soon after in this van.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We stopped on our way to take photos of wildlife like this!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We were at North Cape by 9 am, paid our admission and ready to continue.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The monument everyone wants their photo with.  We hurried there first, then went inside the museum for a look around.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Inside the museum they had nature displays like this, a movie theater to see an excellent video and shops and a snack bar.

They had outside displays too.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQhnsg7Jc3u6OhQg6Mc_CT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075468

From there we visited a town named Skarsvag

They had a tank with King crab in it which they showed off to all the tourists.

From there we drove to another fishing village named Gjesvaer.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8D36CvmkictZzvTN1WDMF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075974

They had a bird "safari" but we didn't go into it.

Then we headed back to Honningsvag to fuel up and return the van.  DH and I ate lunch on the ship, then went back outside to walk around.

The town is small so you can easily walk around to see what life here would be like.  Busy with ships in June and July!  We were there on Prinsendam. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFuAEvdNI0QnV3R51s0_QO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076556

The Elegant Explorer00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLin-0TXpvIIqvZeYdesPGM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076610

We noticed the barriers on the hillside to prevent avalanches in the winter.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAaehcHRmYmO_LBm3LRl4u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076615

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLaeJy8aPPrRZZyzG82Hnsl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076623

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-5ifbPcGyuuCZ90XzpSYL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076631

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI3uAwkcILmPD0IvcvVL7G1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076544

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLI8uvHPReAXy_VGnn0Eses?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076538

This trip on the Prinsendam was captained by you know who - Capt. D.D.  He likes to make your journey an experience to remember so when we left Honningsvag later that day we made a stop at sea for his fisherman buddy to deliver some king crab and cod for our enjoyment.  DH went down to deck 4 by the medical department to snap a few photos of our intrepid captain bringing the haul on board.  First a picture of North Cape as we passed it, then the king crab.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIS6QvEbtnVDJHiIO4SlPQP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076788

Fisherman buddy00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXcy3OkvUU2xFC92iDAFM3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076810

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIY7-iB3BzXI2wPO2ILGBb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468084033

And a shot from my cabin of Captain D.D. holding a cod fish, which would be served the following day along with fresh king crab.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJO_dNtrXK3NAeAGILblrOh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076885

What a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 11